Few Things Are Better Than This

by Courtney on March 31, 2011

If there is one thing that I have learned since this past Christmas, it’s that there are few things in life that are better than fresh baked, homemade bread!

It wasn’t always pretty, but thankfully, I think I’ve finally found my go-to loaf: French Baguettes!

If it wasn’t for my bread machine, I don’t know if I’d have ventured into bread-baking. I seriously just LOVE this thing. It’s such a snazzy contraption. Smile

IMG_1530IMG_1531

I have yet to venture outside of using the recipe booklet that came with the machine, but there are some incredible-sounding recipes in there.

Would you believe that there’s a chocolate chip cookie bread recipe in there? Ummm yeah, that’s definitely a must-try…along with those cinnamon rolls. Winking smile

Tonight’s baguettes came out just as good, if not better, than my last batch. Here they are just after rising and getting ready to hit the oven…

Mmmmm…warm, crusty French bread is my paradise. Smile

To go along with my bread, I cooked up the Potato Corn Chowder soup mix that we bought this past Saturday.

And I must say that, despite being a pre-packaged soup mix, this chowder had some serious flavor! The recipe called for using 2% or half and half, but I only had 1% on hand, which is why mine looks a little thinner. Nonetheless, it still tasted great AND was a little more “healthified.” Smile

Not to mention the fact that it acted as the perfect base for some bread dunkage!

Topped with a little butter…

This meal was definitely the whole package! Smile

Of course, as soon as we sat down to eat, somebody was ready to play some fetch

So we played a few rounds until he tired out.

But before we knew it, he was back once again…

but this time, to cuddle. He’s my perfect cuddle buddy!

And I intend on cuddling with him all night. Smile

Question for Tonight…Fill in the Blank:

Few things in life are better than _________________.

1 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles March 31, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Few things in life are better than…dark chocolate & wine!

I’m sure that soup was wonderful considering the cold weather you’re having – perfect comforting meal.

2 Corey @ the runners cookie March 31, 2011 at 7:59 pm

That looks like the perfect crusty bread, especially to go with soup! Store bought bread just does not compare to homemade. I think I should put that machine on my wish list for next Christmas :)
p.s. your kitty is precious!
Corey @ the runners cookie recently posted..When in Boston

3 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 31, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Few things in life are better than summertime.

PS – that bread and soup look absolutely amazing!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the crazy thing i she did

4 Lauren @ Hungry Dancer March 31, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I love that your cat plays fetch!! So funny!!
Lauren @ Hungry Dancer recently posted..Try This Thursday

5 Kelly March 31, 2011 at 8:16 pm

…that first cup of coffee in the morning. :)
Kelly recently posted..drama mama

6 Courtney March 31, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Gooooood call! :)

7 Tara @ The Game of Life March 31, 2011 at 8:21 pm

That bread looks amazing, but I can’t wait until you make the cinnamon rolls!!! Few things in life are better than icecream or a day of relaxing with the family!
Tara @ The Game of Life recently posted..Inspiration

8 Faith @ lovelyascharged March 31, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Bread + butter, chocolate, warm cinnamon rolls…the list goes on
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..One Hell of a Monday

9 Kate Horning March 31, 2011 at 8:29 pm

ahh your bread looks amazing I would definitely agree I love the way it makes my house smell! Your cat is precious enjoy cuddling!

10 Kristi @ KristiAteIt March 31, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Few things in life are better than…coming home from work and your boyfriend asking if you want to go out to eat tonight! :) Yes, please!

Mmmm…your bread looks delicious!
Kristi @ KristiAteIt recently posted..Three Things Thursday

11 Melissa March 31, 2011 at 8:52 pm

. . . a glass of good wine after a long day.
. . . coffee and Food Network on a Saturday morning.
. . . the first time in the spring you get to sit outside for a drink or dinner.

Have a great night, Courtney!
Melissa recently posted..Speedy Soup

12 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean March 31, 2011 at 8:56 pm

your bread looks amazing!!! i want to grab it out of the pictures ;)
Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean recently posted..Simple Fish Tacos

13 Alexa @ SimpleEats March 31, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I definitely want a piece of bread now. That looks amazing!
Alexa @ SimpleEats recently posted..Switch It Up

14 Laura March 31, 2011 at 9:17 pm

avocado & a fried egg on toast
Laura recently posted..Chili Vegetable Pasta

15 Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique March 31, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I need that bread maker. We go through so many loaves of “crusty” bread as we call it in my house, that I actually think this would be an excellent investment. Thanks for sharing! :)
Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique recently posted..Prosciutto &amp Pineapple Pizza

16 Katy (The Singing Runner) March 31, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Few things in life are better than good friends, good food, and a few good drinks. ;)
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Pura Vida!- Costa Rica Day 5

17 CaSaundra March 31, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Wowee..your bread looks straight outta a bakery. Super impressive :-)

Few things in life are better than cupcakes ;-)

18 Liz @ iheartvegetables March 31, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Few things in life are better than peanut butter ;)
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..A Day in the Life of My Tummy

19 Christina @ Food.Fun.Fabulous. March 31, 2011 at 10:58 pm

I have to agree with Liz – Few things in life are better than peanut butter!
Christina @ Food.Fun.Fabulous. recently posted..Fresh

20 Jen April 1, 2011 at 12:47 am

Looks soooooo good! I’m so jealous, fresh baked bread really IS where it’s at, and yours has me drooling, yum!

21 Floey April 1, 2011 at 4:02 am

Ahh sooo jealous of your fresh bread with butter :( I don’t have a bread maker and don’t have the time to make my own bread :P Send some to So. Cal? :D

22 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine April 1, 2011 at 7:21 am

Brave soul…I’m scared to bake bread!!

Few things in life are better than chocolate!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Homemade Horseradish Hummus

23 Emily April 1, 2011 at 8:50 am

…a glass of wine on the porch.
…a killer workout that leaves you feeling like you can tackle anything that day.
…hearing “i love you” and knowing it’s the truth.
Emily recently posted..An Eggcelent Dinner

24 Presley April 1, 2011 at 10:29 am

We just went to register for our wedding and didn’t register for a bread maker… You (and chocolate chip cookie bread) have me regretting this decision! Maybe I should go back and add it!

25 Courtney April 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm

YES! DO IT!!! :)

26 Chelsa April 1, 2011 at 12:00 pm

that bread looks amazing… yum
Chelsa recently posted..His and Hers Healthy Dinner

27 Sarah April 1, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I almost want to go out and buy a bread maker and eat bread all day long. This could be a problem
Sarah recently posted..THE BIG MOVE

28 Sarah Lynn April 1, 2011 at 10:01 pm

OMG that last picture of your cat is sooo cute!!! I love cats!
Sarah Lynn recently posted..My signal