Broiled Herb-Marinated Shrimp Skewers

Have I mentioned before how much I love my husband?

Yeah, I know, I definitely have…sorry to get all mushy on ya. But how could I not when he comes home with these for me…

Engage-aversary Flowers!!

Tulips are probably one of my favorite flowers…aren’t they pretty??? Open-mouthed smile

I totally was not expecting ANY sort of engagement anniversary acknowledgement, besides the simple “Happy Engagement Anniversary!” I got this morning, so I was more than surprised to be greeted with these this afternoon.

What a guy! Smile

**************

I guess it’s a good thing I actually had a nice home-cooked meal for him to come home today, huh? Winking smile

Last week when I received that Cooking Light magazine (which has been coming in so handy), I also set my sights on a marinated shrimp skewer recipe.

Normally, there are only certain kinds of “fish” that can be allowed in this house, as Jay has yet to acquire much of a taste for it. Actually, it’s a texture thing, but either way…

He cautiously agreed to give this recipe a go, and thankfully, it was a major success! The flavor of this marinade is totally amazeballs. Even if you think you don’t like shrimp, you’ve definitely got to give this one a try!

The original recipe called for a lot of fresh spices, most of which I did not have on hand. I substituted what I deemed to be the equivalent amounts in the dried version of some of them, and it worked out quite well.

Broiled Herb-Marinated Shrimp Skewers

(Adapted from this recipe)

Ingredients:

• 4 tbsp dried cilantro
  • 4 tbsp dried parsley
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
  • 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 tbsp fresh orange juice
  • 1 tbsp lime juice
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined

Directions:

1. Combine first 10 ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth. Place in a bowl; add shrimp, tossing to coat. Marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    2. Preheat broiler to high.
    3. Remove shrimp from marinade; thread 6 shrimp onto each of 4-7 (8-inch) wooden skewers (depending on how many shrimp you have). Place skewers on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; top with any remaining marinade. Broil 5 inches from heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until shrimp are done. ENJOY! Smile

**I do not own a broiler pan, so I simply coated a baking rack with cooking spray and placed it on top of a jelly-roll pan. It worked just as well!

On the side, I served some brown rice and roasted zucchini.

Since the recipe made more than enough for us, we each had 1-1/2 skewers with dinner and STILL have 4 skewers left.

I’m thinking a shrimp salad might be in the future. Smile

Now I’m off to the kitchen to finish up a batch of cupcakes for someone!

Question for the Evening:

Are there any foods you thought you’d hate but actually really like?

Comments

escargot! just the thought of it grossed me out!!! but during my first meeting w/my now fiance’s parents, they ordered escargot and kept asking me if i wanted one, so finally i agreed to taste it…it’s been love ever since!
      Erica recently posted..our busy-bee day

I didn’t think I’d like brussel sprouts; but that’s because I had some when I was younger and they were disgusting. But my cousin made a batch and convinced me to try them again.. Hello Lover! They were so tasty. It really is all in how it’s prepared.
      JaNelle recently posted..How I relaxed today

That was so nice of him!!!

I have never really tried shrimp, I always say that I don’t like them but these look really good! I think I may have to try them now…. Oh and I always thought I hated broccoli, but now I love it!
      Tara @ The Game of Life recently posted..Inspiration

Aaaand I’m drooling on my keyboard! That shrimp looks amazeballs for sure!

What a sweetie your hubby is! Looks like you got a keeper! Nice to know he’s as crazy about you as you are about him! You deserve every happiness! :)
      Melissa recently posted..That’s A Whole Lotta Cute!

So glad you posted a recipe for shrimp! The husband just picked up 3 bags of frozen shrimp at the store yesterday and I have no idea what to do with them!!

Shrimp is one of those foods I didn’t like as a kid but I’ve started to like as an adult. Can’t wait to try the marinade!
      Karen recently posted..Walking on Sunshine

I love tulips too – I know it seems small but I appreciate when a man goes the extra mile to buy me something besides roses. PLUS tulips are my fave :-)

Food I love that I thought I’d hate: hmmm – that is tough. Don’t you feel like the older we get the more we “get to know” our taste buds? haha. However, my friend and I were discussing how much we hated sushi when we were younger. We were trying to figure out when/why we eventually changed our minds. Regardless, I am now obsessed with sushi.

Hi Courtney!
      So I ended up making the shrimp 2 nights ago and my husband and I weren’t really keen on them. Just too many herbs overall? I think it was the cilantro that killed it. Oh well! If I made them again I’d definitely cut back on everything!

I’m a fan of all your recipes!
      Lisa @ Healthy Diaries recently posted..I get to eat what I want!

• Courtney says

Awww, I’m sorry you didn’t like them! :(
        Yes, there is quite a few herbs on them, so maybe if you cut back it would be better? Maybe it would be different if you used fresh, too? That’s what the original recipe called for…

8. Jeannine Russo says

What a sweetheart! The husband just picked up 3 bags of frozen shrimp at the store yesterday and I have no idea what to do with them!! haha.
      Jeannine Russo recently posted..Arthritis Tips