Two Years Ago Today

by Courtney on April 4, 2011

April 4th. Do you know what YOU were doing last year on April 4th?

Nope, me either.

Do you know what you were doing two years ago on April 4th?

Yup, I sure do!

Two years ago from this day, Jay and I set out to enjoy a wonderful weekend away in Lake Placid, NY. When we left our house, it was a fairly nice day, but as soon as we arrived in Lake Placid, the snow was falling and it was CHILLY!

DSC01151

We stayed in a beautiful hotel that gave us a phenomenal view of the lake. Once we arrived and were ready to check in, I found out that for “some reason,” we were even given an upgrade to our room.

DSC01152

The weekend was definitely off to a great start, despite the weather. We braved the sleet and snow and enjoyed a little shopping in the downtown area. Eventually, we headed back up to our hotel room to get ready for a nice dinner out.

DSC01169

Well, the dinner was the least of my concerns once I realized that there was much more going on that was about to change my life…

DSC01173

Yes Yes!! Two years ago today, after almost 10 years of dating, Jay asked me to be his wife. Smile

DSC01182

Obviously, I took the whole thing very seriously…

DSC01181

Hehe. I’m pretty sure that this picture was taken well after everything happened. Oh yes, and in case you haven’t already read our engagement story, feel free to check it out on the wedding website I created.

Honestly, there’s only two other things I can remember about that evening; we were given free champagne from our waiter at dinner after we told him our news, and we came back and ate a bunch of chocolates while soaking it up in our enormous hot tub. Smile

DSC01195

Talk about a great day, right???

I’m not sure if today will nearly compare to the excitement that was two years ago, but hey, at least I’ve got my memories!

Happy Engagement Day, Jay! Winking smile

(Clearly, I’m a big fan of celebrating any anniversary!)

**********

This morning, I enjoyed another lovely cereal combo bowl…

Quaker Oatmeal Squares + Multigrain Cheerios + Kashi Go Lean Crisp + vanilla almond milk + banana slices

…I’ve got my coffee, and now I’m ready to tackle my day!

Questions for the Day:

Do you have a fun engagement story?

Do you celebrate different anniversaries (wedding/dating/engagement/etc…)?

1 Tina April 4, 2011 at 8:25 am

Happy engagement anniversary to you both! What a nice story. Our engagement is pretty similar to yours. My hubby took me to a hotel in NYC for the weekend of my birthday and he popped the question there. We celebrate our dating anniversary and our wedding anniversary. We celebrated the day we got engaged for a year or two but once we were married it was phased out : )

2 cait April 4, 2011 at 8:33 am

aww girl I LOVE THIS :) what a great way to celebrate such a big day for you! i loved hearing about your engagement and then posting the great pictures hehe! have a wonderful monday! xo
cait recently posted..Guest Bloggers

3 Tara @ The Game Of Life April 4, 2011 at 8:33 am

I love celebrating random things because that usually means I get icecream or cake hah. I am going to check your wedding website out after this, but my sister had a pretty cool engagement…. He asked her in the air on a hot air balloon!!!!
Tara @ The Game Of Life recently posted..Inspiration

4 Courtney April 4, 2011 at 11:21 am

I like your style ;)

5 fsugirl! April 4, 2011 at 8:36 am

Awwwww!! I love it! You both look so happy! :D I celebrate anything like: “Hey you know,last year we bought the new car…. we should celebrate!” ;)

6 Kate April 4, 2011 at 8:40 am

Your story is so precious! Happy anniversary!! Hope you have a great day! :)

7 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 4, 2011 at 8:42 am

happy anniversary!!! hope you have a great day :)
Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean recently posted..Notes to Self…

8 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl April 4, 2011 at 8:57 am

You two are adorable! What a great story. PS your cereal looks yummy ;-)
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Wacky Food Combos- I Can’t Believe It’s Not…

9 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run April 4, 2011 at 9:25 am

Congrats on the engagement anniversary! :-) My husband and I got engaged after 7 years dating. So, you and I…we are fast movers for sure! ;-)
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Weekend Goals

10 Sarah April 4, 2011 at 9:27 am

awe what a beautiful story! Im a sucker for engagement stories right now because I just got engaged! (our 2 month engage-averary is this week HAHA got to celebrate everything RIGHT?!)
Sarah recently posted..Sunday- Dog Day

11 Courtney April 4, 2011 at 11:20 am

Congrats to you!!

12 Melissa April 4, 2011 at 9:59 am

I am a big fan of anniversaries! So happy engage-aversary to you two! :)

13 Courtney April 4, 2011 at 11:20 am

LOL…love the wording, Melissa. ;)

14 miranda @working mom works out April 4, 2011 at 10:02 am

Aww, happy engagement anniversary. My engagement story wasn’t nearly as exciting. But it still means a lot to me.

He surprised me with a ring and proposal on my birthday as I wad studying for a horrible work certification test. Totally made my birthday and I bombed the test bc all I could think about was being engaged. Thanks, honey!!”

15 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun April 4, 2011 at 10:04 am

So fun to hear your engagement story.

We were in the middle of renovating the enitre downstairs of our house and decided to take a break for a day to go on a hike (one of our favorite activities). While we were out, Peter had his brother come in and set up a picnic dinner (in the middle of all the chaos!) with my favorite meal at the time, candles, flowers, and everything. I came in and walked right past the scene because I’m so oblivious. Then smelled the candles and started screaming that something was burning. Turned around and FINALLY saw the scene set out. LOL Then he gave me a special letter and got down on one knee. I always laugh at how spastic I am…and the fact that it’s so Peter that he proposed amidst house renovation mess instead of on the hike.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self-Love Reflections- Outward Beauty

16 Courtney April 4, 2011 at 11:20 am

Awwww, Tina! That’s so sweet, I love it! :)

17 Jess@atasteofconfidence April 4, 2011 at 10:08 am

What a cute story, and I love Lake Placid!
A year ago yesterday my brother proposed to his now fiance:)
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..media schmedia

18 Shanna, Like Banana April 4, 2011 at 10:38 am

Awww congrats :)

We just celebrated our 3 year engagment on March 29th. The cool thing is that my bestie got engaged on the *very same day*. No lie. AND our husbands didn’t even plan it!
Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..Finds and Fails

19 Courtney April 4, 2011 at 11:19 am

WOW, that’s awesome! You should have done a double wedding… ;)

20 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 4, 2011 at 10:47 am

Yay! Happy Engagement Day! :)

21 Liz @ IHeartVegetables April 4, 2011 at 10:52 am

awww that’s super cute!!! *sigh* no engagement story for me!! I gotta find me a boyfriend first ;)
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..Race Recap- My First 10K!

22 Kelly April 4, 2011 at 10:53 am

Happy Engagement Day!

Keith asked me to marry him on the beach underneath the July 4th fireworks. I was completely shocked and even asked him if he was serious. haha!
Kelly recently posted..winner winner chicken dinner

23 Kristi @ KristiAteIt April 4, 2011 at 10:57 am

Aw! What a cute engagements story. I love Lake Placid. We used to go there every year for a family trip.
I don’t have an engagement story just yet. Still waiting….for 6 years! *sigh* men…
Kristi @ KristiAteIt recently posted..Hibachi!

24 Courtney April 4, 2011 at 11:19 am

Haha, don’t worry…it took me 10 years! ;)

25 Vicky D April 4, 2011 at 10:57 am

Awww..that’s a neat story!!! April 4 will always be a special day because it’s my birthday!! Looks like we both have things to celebrate!!! :-)

26 Courtney April 4, 2011 at 11:19 am

Happy Birthday!!

27 Caroline April 4, 2011 at 11:03 am

Such a cute story!
Caroline recently posted..Grr to Previous Post

28 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries April 4, 2011 at 11:08 am

Happy engagement anniversary! I got goosebumps reading this :) It’s so weird, because this morning, for whatever reason, I was replaying my fiance’s proposal in my mind.
It was perfect, Courtney! It was my graduation day from college (this past May), and Cory was graduating with his MBA. After the ceremony, we met up with both our families to take pictures. I guess my mom was tired of posing because she said (not knowing what was going to happen) “Let’s start getting some pictures of Colleen and Cory.”
The cameras started going, and Cory was talking to me about how much he loves me and whatnot. I was like “Can this wait?! Smile for these pictures!”
Then, it all happened. He pulled a box of of his pocket, got down on one knee in front of both our families and asked me to marry him! (My mom got the BEST pictures!) AH! I have never been so surprised in my life. It was wonderful. We’re four months away from the wedding and I can’t wait!!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Bad Blogger

29 Courtney April 4, 2011 at 11:19 am

Awwww, that’s so sweet!!!!

30 Ally (oatsandspice) April 4, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Happy 2 year anniversary! What an exciting time in your life! I loved hearing your engagement story – so cute and romantic :)
Ally (oatsandspice) recently posted..Sweet Potato Burgers

31 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Aww happy engagement day! To make a long story short, my husband proposed by writing “Will you marry me” in the snow!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the crazy thing i she did

32 Angela @ MyPinkyToes April 4, 2011 at 1:29 pm

This is soooo sweet! My husband lucked out in that all of our main anniversaries land on the same day…he proposed on the anniversary of our first date, and we got married on that same day the next year!
I always test him though and see what little things he remembers…I was going through a photo album and I kept asking him if he remembered what we were doing in each picture…surprisingly he did very well!
Angela @ MyPinkyToes recently posted..First Official Race Recap!

33 Molly April 4, 2011 at 1:53 pm

So funny because Saturday was mine and my husband’s six month “anniversary” since we got married in October and neither one of us realized it until my mom pointed it out to me today! Hopefully we’ll remember the real deal when it comes around :)
Molly recently posted..Weekend Chores

34 Erica April 4, 2011 at 2:37 pm

happy engagement anniversary!

my engagement was SO un-romantic. i was proposed to on NYE while sitting on the couch wearing pink polka dot pajamas, stuffing my face w/oreos. lol!
Erica recently posted..our busy-bee day

35 Shayla April 4, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Awww what a great story! Happy Engagement Anniversary to you two! I love celebrating anniversaries and will never forget our first date anniversary so I made sure for our wedding day to be on that date! Now we get to celebrate two anniversaries on 1 day! :)

36 Shayla April 4, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Oh and for our engagement my hubby took me to the restaurant where our first date was. I thought that was so sweet and I had no idea he was going to propose since the reason for the date was to celebrate our dating anniversary. Now that I think about it, our dating anniversary turned into our engagement anniversary and then into our wedding anniversary…..so I guess on that one day we’re celebrating 3 anniversaries!!

Oh and I didn’t remember much that night either except for being so deliriously happy and drinking copious amounts of champagne and dessert ;)

37 Samantha April 4, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Yay! I love engagement anniversaries! Now I get one too! I just got engaged on January 22nd, 2011.

He had planned a fun day where we were going to the butterfly exhibit at the museum and then dinner afterward. Little did we know that the butterfly museum was a “rainforest simulation” and was 100 degrees…so we walked around and we stopped by a waterfall. The next thing I know is that he was down on one knee asking me to be his wife! We were hugging and kissing and sweating from the humidity…then he proceeds to tell me that he hired a professional photographer to snap pictures of the entire thing plus a photo shoot afterward! Such a romantic! He had no idea it was hot in there…makes for a unique story though.

Have a great day!

38 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) April 4, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Aww this is such a cute post! I love the picture of you showing off the ring and hugging Jay :) You guys are so adorable!
Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) recently posted..Party Weekend!

39 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine April 4, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Aww happy engagaversary!! That’s so sweet. My boyfriend and I have celebrated all of our anniversaries at the same place- our favorite Italian restaurant. It’s a nice tradition.
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..A Long Walk- The More-Fitness Half Marathon

40 Jordan April 4, 2011 at 5:36 pm

how exciting!! an anniversary of ANY kind deserves celebration :)
Jordan recently posted..Twitter Blackbird Pie Just Got Even Sweeter

41 Kristen April 4, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Happy anniversary day! I love celebrations!
Also, you both look so happy in that picture!

42 elizabeth @ the good life April 4, 2011 at 6:46 pm

So sweet! My hubs proposed on a weekend away also:) We went to California and it was wonderful…almost 4 years ago. Wow!
elizabeth @ the good life recently posted..Flashback- Florence

43 emma April 4, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Awwww…..I love all your love posts :-)
emma recently posted..The vegan club

44 Kathryn April 4, 2011 at 7:38 pm

My husband and I were in Spain (he has family there) and he proposed to me on top of a very old castle in Zahara (1300s). It was quite a climb to the castle, but completely worth it:)

45 Holly April 4, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Happy Engagement Day Court!! …and because I already read the post from tonight- your flowers are beautiful! What a nice surprise :)
& you already know my engagement story ;) Can’t wait for it to ‘come to life’ in less than 2 months :D
Holly recently posted..Opening Day 2011

46 Karen April 4, 2011 at 9:39 pm

What a cute story!! Happy Engagment-versary!! Hope you got to do something fun to celebrate : )
Karen recently posted..Walking on Sunshine

47 Christina April 5, 2011 at 10:32 am

Happy engagement anniversary! What a cute story
Christina recently posted..I MATCHED!!!

48 Amanda April 11, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Aw I love this…because I got engaged in the same town! ….because that’s where I grew up. :) I hope you guys can go back in the summer. The snow is beautiful, but as you probably already know, Adirondack summers are amazing.
Amanda recently posted..Post-Vacation Vacation