Flavors of Spring

by Courtney on April 5, 2011

Last night’s cupcake adventure was a new attempt and a new success…

Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Frosting

It took a couple batches, but I think I got it right! Luckily, Jay works with a great group of guys who are always willing to take my baked goods…even if they are the batches that didn’t make the cut. Winking smile

***************

Workout

This morning’s workout was a little more laborious than usual, thanks to a BodyPump class yesterday. It had been a loooong time since I last took a class, and my body is already feelin’ it. I can only imagine how I’ll feel tomorrow. Disappointed smile

So I kept things a little on the lighter side today with my favorite 45 minute treadmill walk, followed by some 10lb. Slimdown Yoga. It really felt awesome to stretch!

Breakfast

A little mish-mash of goodies, if you will…

A banana + a strawberry CHO

…which were great, but totally didn’t compare to this muffin!

A few weeks ago, I came across a recipe on the lovely Tina’s blog for Springtime Lemon-Raspberry Muffins and decided to whip up a batch yesterday afternoon.

I followed her recipe to a “T,” except where she peeled the lemon zest with a vegetable peeler, I simply used my lemon zester and mixed it into the sugar that way.

I’ll tell you, for being a healthy muffin, these babies certainly don’t have that “healthy” taste. You guys know what I mean…you can usually tell at least somewhat of a difference with a “healthified” muffin. But not these!

The lemon is definitely the predominant flavor and basically screams SPRING! If you only want a hint of lemon, I would suggest using vanilla flavored yogurt instead. And the raspberries…oh the raspberries! They pair so nicely…just check out those big guys poking out there…YUMMM-O!

I’m sure…no, I’m positive that there will be more of these consumed today.

Have a great day everyone!

Question for the Day:

What foods/meals scream SPRING to you?

1 Lisa @ Healthy Diaries April 5, 2011 at 9:11 am

Lemon definitely screams spring to me! I don’t think there’s another one that can come close!
Lisa @ Healthy Diaries recently posted..Weekend Eats!

2 Amy B @ Second City Randomness April 5, 2011 at 9:13 am

Cream cheese frosting makes me happy.

And yes- work is a great place to “unload” any mistakes/extras/etc. I do it all the time. There is yet to be a complaint about it…
Amy B @ Second City Randomness recently posted..Angry Motivation

3 Melissa April 5, 2011 at 9:16 am

Dear God, those cupcakes look fantastic! And the muffins??? Hello fresh raspberries!!! I have been craving those lately!

Good (sweet) strawberries and cantaloupe scream spring to me! I love it when the produce section starts filling up with summery fruits!

4 miranda @working mom works out April 5, 2011 at 9:21 am

Lime screams Spring. Some delicious pico, a mojito – anything with lime. Those muffins look uber awesome. I think I’ll try to make them gluten-free.

5 Tara @ The Game of Life April 5, 2011 at 9:27 am

Those look so good!!! This like burgers, baked beans, and blueberries scream spring to me hah I know a random…
Tara @ The Game of Life recently posted..Inspiration

6 Faith @ lovelyascharged April 5, 2011 at 9:44 am

Eggs + asparagus is totally springy to me!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Shine On Yoga – Orlando

7 Parita @ myinnershakti April 5, 2011 at 9:45 am

I must make these muffins ASAP! They sound delicious! I think fruit smoothies scream spring to me…they remind me of warm weather and fun times. :) Have a great day!
Parita @ myinnershakti recently posted..It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood…

8 Thetreadmilldiaries April 5, 2011 at 10:10 am

I’m a big fan of red velvet anything. Mmm.
Thetreadmilldiaries recently posted..Pork Scaloppine in White Wine Sauce

9 courtney @ cupcakedynamite April 5, 2011 at 10:17 am

you have massive will-power not to eat the red velvet cupcakes for breakfast! ;)
courtney @ cupcakedynamite recently posted..sun is shining- weather is sweet

10 Kelly April 5, 2011 at 10:23 am

Melon type fruits scream summer to me! Pineapple, Cantaloupe, Watermelon, Oh my!!
Kelly recently posted..winner winner chicken dinner

11 Christina April 5, 2011 at 10:29 am

Those cupcakes and that muffin look delicious! Red velvet is on my list of baked goods I love and must learn to bake. Looks like you’ve mastered it :)

12 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun April 5, 2011 at 10:48 am

You know those muffins are good when I leave this post with a craving for another muffin and not a red velvet cupcake. LOL Although I will happily take one of those too. ;)

Glad you liked them and thanks for sharing it! :)
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self-Love Reflections- Outward Beauty

13 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) April 5, 2011 at 10:58 am

Oh my I need to make some morning muffins! They looks so fluffy, and for me strawberries are a definite spring flavor :D

Those red velvet cupcakes look amazinggg! I’ve never had that flavor before, is it just chocolate flavored?
Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) recently posted..Party Weekend!

14 Kate April 5, 2011 at 11:10 am

All types of fruit make me think of spring but primarily blueberries! I start to crave them and end up buying all types of blueberry granola bars and yogurt etc. And your cupcakes look delish, of course :)

15 Kristen April 5, 2011 at 11:11 am

watermelon! I love it!

16 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 5, 2011 at 11:15 am

I bookmarked that muffin recipe when I saw it on FFF – it looks fabulous. Have a great day, Courtney!

17 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl April 5, 2011 at 11:16 am

Those muffins looks absolutely delicious. I love recipes that incorporate greek yogurt :-)
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..A New Yorker’s Kitchen Sink Dinner and the Forbidden Fruit

18 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie April 5, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Ah those muffins look amazing and perfect fit spring!
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..Love is Sweet French Toast Casserole

19 Kathryn April 5, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Roasted asparagus with a squirt of fresh lemon juice screams spring to me! I’m roasting some for date night tonight :)

20 Jenn Laughlin April 5, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I’m all about those healthy muffins right now! MUST make them!!! =) Yum!

spring is pasta salad weather for me! hehe! I make it weekly!!! with zuccchini noodles =)

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons
Jenn Laughlin recently posted..Curry Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie

21 Kimberley April 5, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Those cupcakes look ahmmazing! Smoothies remind me of spring/summer because I generally consume alot more of them than in the winter and fall :)

22 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 5, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Smoothies and salads!

I looove red velvet – they’re my favorite!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the crazy thing i she did

23 Meg April 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm

That muffin looks amazing, so spring-y :) I get the warm-weather baking bug all the time.

I hope you’re enjoying your Tuesday!

24 Chelsea April 5, 2011 at 1:53 pm

If cream cheese frosting is in my house I will eat it like crazy….this happened recently. To me salads with fresh fruit and a citrus dressing scream spring to me! Oh, and mint. Mint in my lemon water is springy too.
Chelsea recently posted..The Dreaded LBs

25 Chelsa April 5, 2011 at 2:42 pm

you make the prettiest cupcakes
Chelsa recently posted..Best Guacamole Ever

26 Courtney April 5, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Thank You! :)

27 Sarah April 5, 2011 at 3:08 pm

A cupcake is a cupcake in my book. All are equally delicious! …and those muffins look pretty good, too! Yum!

28 Sarah May C April 5, 2011 at 4:08 pm

These look great! Raspberries in cakes – genius, Tina, Also, Courtney, I have to thank you for some recipe inspiration lately on the dinner front too – I love your idea of making big salads to go with everything, it’s really helped me be able to enjoy what I prepare a bit more and eat lovely things like mac and cheese, in smaller portions, and still feel satisfied – and healthy!

Plus, LOVED the shrimp skewers – fantastic presentation on the plate; I’m going to try it this weekend as a starter for a dinner party, hopefully they’ll be wowed – I think they’ll love it – looks delicious. Keep up the good work, Ms Courtney! :)

29 Courtney April 5, 2011 at 5:33 pm

That’s awesome, Sarah! I’m so happy to hear that! :)

30 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine April 5, 2011 at 4:13 pm

BERRIES!! I get so excited in the spring when they start to come back into season and I can eat a TON!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..A Long Walk- The More-Fitness Half Marathon

31 Carrie April 5, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I agree with everyone who says berries make them feel like spring. Also gazpacho…yum!

Do you every pay attention to the amount of sugar in those flavored yogurts like Chobani? It just seems like an awful lot.

32 Karen April 5, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Strawberries always remind me of spring!! I think there’s something about the vibrant red color of fresh, ripe berries that just screams spring!!
Karen recently posted..Spa Day

33 Sarah April 5, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Beautiful cupcake! I love red velvet, plus its pretty and fun!

Those muffins not only look good but sound PHENOMENAL! Raspberry and lemon!? remind me of lemonade and summer i got to get on these!
Sarah recently posted..Sunday- Dog Day

34 CaSaundra April 6, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Lovin’ the looks of those cupcakes! :-)