Flavors of Spring

Last night’s cupcake adventure was a new attempt and a new success…

Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Frosting

It took a couple batches, but I think I got it right! Luckily, Jay works with a great group of guys who are always willing to take my baked goods…even if they are the batches that didn’t make the cut. Winking smile

***************

Workout

This morning’s workout was a little more laborious than usual, thanks to a BodyPump class yesterday. It had been a loooong time since I last took a class, and my body is already feelin’ it. I can only imagine how I’ll feel tomorrow. Disappointed smile

So I kept things a little on the lighter side today with my favorite 45 minute treadmill walk, followed by some 10lb. Slimdown Yoga. It really felt awesome to stretch!

Breakfast

A little mish-mash of goodies, if you will…

A banana + a strawberry CHO

…which were great, but totally didn’t compare to this muffin!

A few weeks ago, I came across a recipe on the lovely Tina’s blog for Springtime Lemon-Raspberry Muffins and decided to whip up a batch yesterday afternoon.

I followed her recipe to a “T,” except where she peeled the lemon zest with a vegetable peeler, I simply used my lemon zester and mixed it into the sugar that way.

I’ll tell you, for being a healthy muffin, these babies certainly don’t have that “healthy” taste. You guys know what I mean…you can usually tell at least somewhat of a difference with a “healthified” muffin. But not these!

The lemon is definitely the predominant flavor and basically screams SPRING! If you only want a hint of lemon, I would suggest using vanilla flavored yogurt instead. And the raspberries…oh the raspberries! They pair so nicely…just check out those big guys poking out there…YUMMM-O!

I’m sure…no, I’m positive that there will be more of these consumed today.

Have a great day everyone!

Question for the Day:

What foods/meals scream SPRING to you?

Comments

Dear God, those cupcakes look fantastic! And the muffins??? Hello fresh raspberries!!! I have been craving those lately!

Good (sweet) strawberries and cantaloupe scream spring to me! I love it when the produce section starts filling up with summery fruits!

Those cupcakes and that muffin look delicious! Red velvet is on my list of baked goods I love and must learn to bake. Looks like you’ve mastered it :)

Oh my I need to make some morning muffins! They looks so fluffy, and for me strawberries are a definite spring flavor 😀

Those red velvet cupcakes look amazinggg! I’ve never had that flavor before, is it just chocolate flavored?
    Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) recently posted..Party Weekend!

4. Kate says

All types of fruit make me think of spring but primarily blueberries! I start to crave them and end up buying all types of blueberry granola bars and yogurt etc. And your cupcakes look delish, of course :)

5. Kathryn says

Roasted asparagus with a squirt of fresh lemon juice screams spring to me! I’m roasting some for date night tonight :)

That muffin looks amazing, so spring-y :) I get the warm-weather baking bug all the time.

I hope you’re enjoying your Tuesday!

If cream cheese frosting is in my house I will eat it like crazy….this happened recently. To me salads with fresh fruit and a citrus dressing scream spring to me! Oh, and mint. Mint in my lemon water is springy too.
    Chelsea recently posted..The Dreaded LBs

8. Sarah says

A cupcake is a cupcake in my book. All are equally delicious! …and those muffins look pretty good, too! Yum!

These look great! Raspberries in cakes – genius, Tina, Also, Courtney, I have to thank you for some recipe inspiration lately on the dinner front too – I love your idea of making big salads to go with everything, it’s really helped me be able to enjoy what I prepare a bit more and eat lovely things like mac and cheese, in smaller portions, and still feel satisfied – and healthy!

Plus, LOVED the shrimp skewers – fantastic presentation on the plate; I’m going to try it this weekend as a starter for a dinner party, hopefully they’ll be wowed – I think they’ll love it – looks delicious. Keep up the good work, Ms Courtney! :)

I agree with everyone who says berries make them feel like spring. Also gazpacho…yum!

Do you every pay attention to the amount of sugar in those flavored yogurts like Chobani? It just seems like an awful lot.

Strawberries always remind me of spring!! I think there’s something about the vibrant red color of fresh, ripe berries that just screams spring!!
    Karen recently posted..Spa Day

Beautiful cupcake! I love red velvet, plus its pretty and fun!

Those muffins not only look good but sound PHENOMENAL! Raspberry and lemon!? remind me of lemonade and summer i got to get on these!
    Sarah recently posted..Sunday- Dog Day