Crackled Sugar Cookies

As promisedhere’s your sugar cookies!

I’ve always loved the taste of a good sugar cookie.

I can remember when I was little, my Mom would often take me to Bradlees (an old local department store…does anyone else remember it??) where they would have some of the most gigantic M&M sugar cookies in their little bakery counter.

Yep, they had a bakery counter. And anytime Mom said we were going to Bradlees, I would immediately think “COOKIES.”

Apparently, I already had my priorities straight at my ripe old age of three. Winking smile

Growing up, sugar cookies still remained a favorite of mine for when I was craving something without chocolate. Believe it or not, I do still have those moments!

The one thing, however, that has always prevented me from making them more often is because I really dislike rolling out dough. It’s such a daunting, tedious task, isn’t it?

If you don’t think so, then I’ll be happy to give ya a call the next time I need some dough rollin’ done.

So yesterday, when my mom requested a batch of sugar cookies, I happily obliged but under one condition: no cut-outs! She agreed, and thus, my quest for the best no-roll sugar cookie was on.

The winning batch came courtesy of this recipe on Savory Sweet Life. I only made one slight adaptation, substituting half of the vanilla extract for almond extract. I am a huge fan of almond extract in my sugar cookies AND my buttercream frosting so I found this to be completely necessary.

The result was my now-favorite, no-roll sugar cookie. They are definitely a must-try!

Even after being cooled, these cookies still retain their chewy middles, along with a slightly crunchy edge. Perfect, if you ask me!

So perfect, in fact, it was quite hard to resist “testing” a few while snapping these photos…

Hey, there’s no judging around here. Winking smile

Question for the Morning:

How would you rank the following…?

• Sugar Cookie
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie
  • Oatmeal Raisin Cookie

For me, I think it varies from day to day, but I’d have to say Oatmeal Raisin, Sugar, Chocolate Chip. Smile

Sugar (if it has frosting on top), choc chip, and then oatmeal raisin. Otherwise, Choc chip, sugar, and then oatmeal raisin.

I know poor oatmeal comes in last both times, but let it be known that I love oatmeal raisin and would never do anything to make an oatmeal raisin cookie feel unwanted.
    Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Hot to Trot

Wow that sugar cookie looks amazing! I can’t remember the last time I had one, it was more of a childhood cookie than an adult cookie. I would rank at Oatmeal, chocolate chip, sugar cookie. Can I throw a pb cookie in too? ;D
    Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) recently posted..Party Weekend!

yumm! I’m always looking for sugar cookie recipes, because its the one cookie that I get sick of the same recipe if I use it too much. I don’t mind rolling out and decorating them when I have the time, but I definitely avoid making them if I’m in a hurry.

my cookie ranking is probably chocolate chip cookie (chocolate will always be my soulmate, I’m pretty sure it can solve the world’s problems), sugar cookie, then oatmeal raisin :)
    Emily recently posted..Workout Playlists and Fantastical Cupcakes

4. Karen says

They look great! I remember Bradlees! I used to go there with my grandma all the time when I was little and she would always let me pick out a toy so I associated Bradlees with new toys growing up. By the way I decided to try putting PB in my yogurt for the first time and OMG it was delicious! I added it to some vanilla greek yogurt and then added chocolate chips and dipped apples in it it was a great dessert last night. Thanks for the inspiration I had never added anything besides granola to my yogurt before now, maybe I’ll try jelly today!

Those look so good! I love the crackled sugar on top! Perfect 😉
    They remind me of Publix cookies- which is a local supermarket- probably similar to Bradlees. YUM! I want right now :)
    Hope you are having a good day..and a good week. I constantly think about you & the job situation- I hope it has not been too hard on you.
    Holly recently posted..Single Cookie Recipe

I’m not usually a big sugar cookie person, but those look delicious! My hierarchy of cookies would be Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal (but with chocolate chips or dried cranberries instead of raisins), and then sugar. But your sugar cookies might pull ahead of oatmeal–they look too good!

7. Kate says

Chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, and then sugar cookies! But after seeing all these sugar cookies I think they might be moving up a spot! They look fabulous!! :)

I remember Bradlees! Sadly ours didn’t have a bakery counter… or maybe it did… I just remember the pretzels :)

Those cookies look delicious! Sugar cookies are definitely my favorite, followed by chocolate chip. I’m not a fan of oatmeal raisin though.
    Lyss recently posted..Twenty-Three

Ooh this one is easy! Oatmeal raisin, sugar, and then chocolate chip. I could take or leave chocolate so that almost always drops to the bottom of my dessert ranking lists.

P.S. You sugar cookies have just shot to the top of my “recipes to try” list. They look yummy!
    Ashley @ Healthy Heroine recently posted..Kitchen Fail

10. Heather T says

I remember Bradlees!! That was soooo long ago!! My cookie order would have to be choc. chip – oatmeal raisin – sugar cookie :)

11. Pat Rowe says

These sugar cookies are absolutely the BEST sugar cookies I’ve ever had! I have never been a big sugar cookie fan, but these………….yummy!!! I would have to go for chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, and then sugar. Thanks for helping out your mom today!!!!! : )

Courtney I just made these cookies and they were amazing! i saw them on the blog when you first posted and just made them…What was i thinking?? While re reading the recipe I saw Bradlee’s. That was my first job….I loved Bradlee’s!! I think of it almost like a target…miss Bradlees days. Thanks for your awesome recipes!!
    Amy recently posted..Well Hello 1,000

• Courtney says

Oh GOOD! They’re definitely a favorite of mine too! And I LOVE that you also know what I’m talking about with Bradlees…haha, definitely goes wayyyy back!

13. lisa g. says

Let me tell you these suckers are awesome! I baked mine 12 minutes. You could even roll them in a cinnamon & sugar mix and have snickerdoodles! Im thinking of adding mini- chocolate chips and skipping the rolling into sugar. Even with no brown sugar I bet anything they would be awesome chocolate chip cookies! Maybe I would roll a few in powdered sugar and see what happens. What do you think?

• Courtney says

So glad you liked them, Lisa! I’ve never tried any of those modifications but I say anything is worth a try if you have the time and the ingredients 😉