Crackled Sugar Cookies

by Courtney on April 6, 2011

As promisedhere’s your sugar cookies!

I’ve always loved the taste of a good sugar cookie.

I can remember when I was little, my Mom would often take me to Bradlees (an old local department store…does anyone else remember it??) where they would have some of the most gigantic M&M sugar cookies in their little bakery counter.

Yep, they had a bakery counter. And anytime Mom said we were going to Bradlees, I would immediately think “COOKIES.”

Apparently, I already had my priorities straight at my ripe old age of three. Winking smile

Growing up, sugar cookies still remained a favorite of mine for when I was craving something without chocolate. Believe it or not, I do still have those moments!

The one thing, however, that has always prevented me from making them more often is because I really dislike rolling out dough. It’s such a daunting, tedious task, isn’t it?

If you don’t think so, then I’ll be happy to give ya a call the next time I need some dough rollin’ done.

So yesterday, when my mom requested a batch of sugar cookies, I happily obliged but under one condition: no cut-outs! She agreed, and thus, my quest for the best no-roll sugar cookie was on.

The winning batch came courtesy of this recipe on Savory Sweet Life. I only made one slight adaptation, substituting half of the vanilla extract for almond extract. I am a huge fan of almond extract in my sugar cookies AND my buttercream frosting so I found this to be completely necessary.

The result was my now-favorite, no-roll sugar cookie. They are definitely a must-try!

Even after being cooled, these cookies still retain their chewy middles, along with a slightly crunchy edge. Perfect, if you ask me!

So perfect, in fact, it was quite hard to resist “testing” a few while snapping these photos…

Hey, there’s no judging around here. Winking smile

Question for the Morning:

How would you rank the following…?

• Sugar Cookie
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie
  • Oatmeal Raisin Cookie

For me, I think it varies from day to day, but I’d have to say Oatmeal Raisin, Sugar, Chocolate Chip. Smile

1 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run April 6, 2011 at 9:24 am

Sugar (if it has frosting on top), choc chip, and then oatmeal raisin. Otherwise, Choc chip, sugar, and then oatmeal raisin.

I know poor oatmeal comes in last both times, but let it be known that I love oatmeal raisin and would never do anything to make an oatmeal raisin cookie feel unwanted.
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Hot to Trot

2 Courtney April 6, 2011 at 10:33 am

Hahaha, I’m sure the oats appreciate that, Paula! :)

3 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) April 6, 2011 at 9:25 am

Wow that sugar cookie looks amazing! I can’t remember the last time I had one, it was more of a childhood cookie than an adult cookie. I would rank at Oatmeal, chocolate chip, sugar cookie. Can I throw a pb cookie in too? ;D
Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) recently posted..Party Weekend!

4 Courtney April 6, 2011 at 10:33 am

Oh HECK YES! ;)

5 Emily April 6, 2011 at 9:28 am

yumm! I’m always looking for sugar cookie recipes, because its the one cookie that I get sick of the same recipe if I use it too much. I don’t mind rolling out and decorating them when I have the time, but I definitely avoid making them if I’m in a hurry.

my cookie ranking is probably chocolate chip cookie (chocolate will always be my soulmate, I’m pretty sure it can solve the world’s problems), sugar cookie, then oatmeal raisin :)
Emily recently posted..Workout Playlists and Fantastical Cupcakes

6 Karen April 6, 2011 at 9:28 am

They look great! I remember Bradlees! I used to go there with my grandma all the time when I was little and she would always let me pick out a toy so I associated Bradlees with new toys growing up. By the way I decided to try putting PB in my yogurt for the first time and OMG it was delicious! I added it to some vanilla greek yogurt and then added chocolate chips and dipped apples in it it was a great dessert last night. Thanks for the inspiration I had never added anything besides granola to my yogurt before now, maybe I’ll try jelly today!

7 Courtney April 6, 2011 at 10:32 am

Jelly is AMAZING in yogurt! DO IT! :-D

8 Hope April 6, 2011 at 9:32 am

I totally remember Bradlees! We would go there all the time growing up! Those cookies look so yummy!

Let’s see..my order is Oatmeal Raisin, Chocolate Chip and Sugar Cookie :)
Hope recently posted..Healthier Chicken Pot Pie…

9 Faith @ lovelyascharged April 6, 2011 at 9:49 am

I’d have to go chcoolate chip > oatmeal > sugar. I like my cookies loaded!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Sautéed Dandelion Greens with Sweet Onions and Sherry

10 Holly April 6, 2011 at 9:49 am

Those look so good! I love the crackled sugar on top! Perfect ;)
They remind me of Publix cookies- which is a local supermarket- probably similar to Bradlees. YUM! I want one..like right now :)
Hope you are having a good day..and a good week. I constantly think about you & the job situation- I hope it has not been too hard on you.
xoxo
Holly recently posted..Single Cookie Recipe

11 Lisa @ Healthy Diaries April 6, 2011 at 10:03 am

Mmmmm I love a good sugar cookie! SO simple, yet SO good!

Didn’t you give up sweets for Lent though??
Lisa @ Healthy Diaries recently posted..I get to eat what I want!

12 Courtney April 6, 2011 at 10:31 am

Only after dinner! ;)

13 Tara @ The Game Of Life April 6, 2011 at 10:05 am

I typically don’t like sugar cookies, but these look really good! My favorite cookie is chocolate chip with peanut butter!! Selma cookies…. Sooo good!
Tara @ The Game Of Life recently posted..Inspiration

14 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 6, 2011 at 10:07 am

These look great – especially the sugar crystals on top!

15 Jen April 6, 2011 at 10:20 am

wow those came out perfect!! so professional! :-)
Jen recently posted..The Cherry Blossoms

16 Kelly April 6, 2011 at 10:22 am

Definitely…oatmeal raisin, sugar, chocolate chip. I am not a big chocolate lover in my cookies.
Kelly recently posted..winner winner chicken dinner

17 Shanna, Like Banana April 6, 2011 at 10:24 am

I LOVE a good sugar cookie and these look fantastic!

I’d say Sugar, Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip

18 Melissa April 6, 2011 at 10:48 am

I’m not usually a big sugar cookie person, but those look delicious! My hierarchy of cookies would be Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal (but with chocolate chips or dried cranberries instead of raisins), and then sugar. But your sugar cookies might pull ahead of oatmeal–they look too good!

19 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl April 6, 2011 at 10:56 am

Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal Raisin, Sugar!

PS – Confession: I have never made cookies from scratch by myself. I think this will have to be a goal for my new blog. I will most definitely be using one of your recipes!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Meeting My Foodie “Idol”

20 Courtney April 6, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Oh my gosh, you MUST!! :)

21 Jess@atasteofconfidence April 6, 2011 at 11:10 am

Chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, sugar! But I am equal opportunity :)
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..media schmedia

22 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries April 6, 2011 at 11:29 am

How can I rank sugar over chocolate chip?! It depends on whether or not I’m in a chocolaty mood – otherwise, they’re so tied. Sorry, oatmeal raisin ;)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..If Money Grew on Trees

23 Kate April 6, 2011 at 11:29 am

Chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, and then sugar cookies! But after seeing all these sugar cookies I think they might be moving up a spot! They look fabulous!! :)

24 courtney @ cupcakedynamite April 6, 2011 at 11:29 am

those look PERFECT!
courtney @ cupcakedynamite recently posted..when life hands you lemons

25 Khushboo April 6, 2011 at 11:41 am

That’s like asking a mother who her favourite child is! It’s very mood-dependent but right now, it would be choc chip, sugar cookie& then oatmeal raisin. Mmmm
Khushboo recently posted..Back to reality

26 Lyss April 6, 2011 at 11:58 am

I remember Bradlees! Sadly ours didn’t have a bakery counter… or maybe it did… I just remember the pretzels :)

Those cookies look delicious! Sugar cookies are definitely my favorite, followed by chocolate chip. I’m not a fan of oatmeal raisin though.
Lyss recently posted..Twenty-Three

27 Karis' Kitchen April 6, 2011 at 11:58 am

I love sugar cookies and can’t wait to make these! I had never heard of Bradlees until I started working at Kohl’s corporate. There are quite a few former Bradlees that are now Kohl’s stores…makes me wish Kohl’s kept the cookie part of the business :)
Karis’ Kitchen recently posted..Stromboli &amp Cranberry-Oatmeal Bars

28 Heather @ GirlyEverAfter April 6, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I love cookies and sweets of any kind really! These look so good. I’m a chocoholic so chocolate chip cookies are my fave, but a good oatmeal raisin gets me everytime!

29 Ally (oatsandspice) April 6, 2011 at 1:43 pm

These are picture perfect – I can never get my sugar cookies
To look this good :)
Ally (oatsandspice) recently posted..Sweet Potato Burgers

30 Courtney April 6, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I couldn’t either, until I tried this recipe! :)

31 Ashley @ Healthy Heroine April 6, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Ooh this one is easy! Oatmeal raisin, sugar, and then chocolate chip. I could take or leave chocolate so that almost always drops to the bottom of my dessert ranking lists.

P.S. You sugar cookies have just shot to the top of my “recipes to try” list. They look yummy!
Ashley @ Healthy Heroine recently posted..Kitchen Fail

32 Courtney April 6, 2011 at 2:53 pm

YAY! :-D

33 Heather T April 6, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I remember Bradlees!! That was soooo long ago!! My cookie order would have to be choc. chip – oatmeal raisin – sugar cookie :)

34 Pat Rowe April 6, 2011 at 8:33 pm

These sugar cookies are absolutely the BEST sugar cookies I’ve ever had! I have never been a big sugar cookie fan, but these………….yummy!!! I would have to go for chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, and then sugar. Thanks for helping out your mom today!!!!! : )

35 Courtney April 6, 2011 at 10:43 pm

You’re welcome! :)

36 april v April 7, 2011 at 9:59 am

Three words: Oh.My.Gosh.
Two words: Must.Try.

;)

37 april v April 7, 2011 at 10:04 am

Oh, and my order would be..
Oatmeal (w/out raisins!) — Choc.Chip — Sugar (unless it’s these..and they may end up coming in FIRST!)

38 Jordan August 22, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Just made these! THEY ARE DANGEROUS DELICIOUS!!! Thanks for the recipe!

39 Amy December 14, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Courtney I just made these cookies and they were amazing! i saw them on the blog when you first posted and just made them…What was i thinking?? While re reading the recipe I saw Bradlee’s. That was my first job….I loved Bradlee’s!! I think of it almost like a target…miss Bradlees days. Thanks for your awesome recipes!!
Amy recently posted..Well Hello 1,000

40 Courtney December 14, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Oh GOOD! They’re definitely a favorite of mine too! And I LOVE that you also know what I’m talking about with Bradlees…haha, definitely goes wayyyy back!

41 Brandi November 30, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Oh my WORD. These are sooo good!!!! I just had a batch and they are perfect! Thank you so much.

42 Mary March 31, 2014 at 1:14 pm