Nothing Goes To Waste

I really don’t like wasting food.

Anytime we have leftovers in the house, I always make sure that they get eaten up (whether by me or Jay) or used up in one way or another. Case in point…

Yesterday when I was making the most amazing sugar cookies ever, I noticed that the recipe called for 3 egg yolks. Now, that could have meant that 3 egg whites ended up hitting the trash, BUT…I saved the whites in some tupperware and used them this morning for breakfast!

Talk about being resourceful, right? Winking smile I scrambled up my 3 leftover egg whites with a little milk (to make ‘em nice and fluffy!), along with some fresh basil, grape tomato halves, crumbled fat-free feta, and some S&P. They turned out delish!

On the side, I enjoyed another Lemon-Raspberry Muffin with a little butter.

They’re just so good!

I actually decided to throw some in the freezer today to save for another time.

Actually, that’s a lie. It was more of an attempt to prevent myself from OD’ing on them, seeing as through I’ve already made a fairly nice dent in the batch. Winking smile

I enjoyed breakfast while admiring my beautiful tulips. They’re really starting to open up!

Hopefully you guys aren’t getting sick of ‘em yet. Winking smile

IMG_1677IMG_1665

Workout

This morning’s workout was a good one! I hit the treadmill for some intervals that looked a little somethin’ like this:

0-5 mins 4.0mph – Warm-Up
5-6 8.0mph
6-7 4.5mph
7-35 Repeat run @ 8.0 & walk @ 4.5 intervals
35-40 4.0 – Cool Down

I ended up hitting 4 miles almost exactly on the dot and finished as a nice, sweaty mess. It was a nice change of pace from my usual interval routine.

*************

This afternoon, in addition to some un-pictured veggies & hommus, I also lunched on an incredible pumpkin yogurt mess. I had the perfect amount left in my large Oikos container, so I ate right out of that. Hey, less dishes!

You know what’s pretty cool? When you buy the large container that’s about to expire so you can save an extra dollar…and then you forget to make sure the cashier actually TAKES the coupon. Fail. Annoyed

But that’s besides the point…let’s talk about this fantastic, pumpkin-licious bowl!

In the mix: plain Oikos, canned pumpkin (1/3 cup?), 1/2 sliced banana, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, raisins, chia seeds, and granola.

I just love pumpkin in my yogurt! I wish it was more easily available year-round. If I had enough space, I’d probably stockpile cases and cases of it around Thanksgiving time. Winking smile

************

I’m so excited for my evening ahead! I’m meeting up with my dear friend, Sarah, for happy hour and dinner at one of our favorite spots, Bombers. They have some of the best burritos and margaritas around.

WOOT WOOT for girls night! Open-mouthed smile

Questions for the Day:

What do you do (if anything) to keep from wasting food?

When was your last “girls night?” Smile

Comments

I use up all my leftovers too! I’ve totally done that same thing and had a little container in the fridge with egg whites waiting to be used the next day for breakfast. Sometimes we eat our leftovers straight up (like a casserole or something that makes several servings), and sometimes I’ll try to re-purpose ingredients to make something new. You can throw just about anything in a wrap and call it a burrito!

I’ve never added pumpkin to my greek yogurt before but your yogurt mess seriously has me running to the kitchen to grab a snack 😀

Have a fun night out! Burritos and margaritas sound like my kind of night 😉 My last girls night was Saturday for a bachelorette party, tons of fun.

Girls night is my favourite. Margaritas + Sangrias are such good treats :)

I always make muffins and only keep a couple on hand and freeze the rest, otherwise I usually end up wasting them they go dry so quickly!

I made these muffins yesterday! I only had blueberries on hand, so I used those instead of raspberries, and they turned out so well! I’m having a girl’s night tonight – and you can bet I’m taking my best friend half the batch to prevent myself from eating all of them (in one sitting)! :)
    Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..If Money Grew on Trees

I absolutely love pumpkin in greek yogurt! I still have a few cans left from when I stockpiled in the fall, and think I need to create that recipe again! I’ve also never mixed egg whites and milk (am I weird?) but sounds delicious to make them fluffy and flavorful!

6. Erica says

Hey Courtney, First of all i just want to say I LOVE YOUR BLOG! all your pictures and recipes have inspired my grocery list every week. I have never really been one to eat healthy but you have taught me other wise,from simply switching the bad for healthy ingredents and still tasting great without all the guilt and bulking up my meals with alot of veggies, I have lost 14 lbs from that!( im trying to have a healthier lifestyle so my body can be baby ready in the near future)so thank you for the inspiration! but i only eat egg whites so i always throw out alot of yolks during the week,so i was wondering if you had any suggestions what i could possibly do with them. I ve tried buying the only egg whites carton but to me they dont taste as fresh as coming straight from the egg so i wasnt very fond of them. It drives my husband crazy to me throw all those extra egg yolks, so i was wondering if you ever had that problem of wasting any yolks. thanks : )

• Courtney says

Erica, congratulations! That’s awesome to hear!
      As far as the yolks go, you could always make a batch of those sugar cookies for your husband…? 😉 Hehe…
      But what if you buy the egg whites in the carton and add a little milk to them? That’s what I do, and it seems to help with the “fluff” factor a bit. Make sure to season ’em up a bit too…even if it’s just a little salt and pepper!

I am loving the tomato, basil, egg white combo this week, too! I have been adding a scoop of ricotta to the egg whites because I have ricotta to use up, so there ya go! Also, if I have fresh herbs, I will put them in EVERYTHING until they are gone. I hate for them to go to waste. The hardest thing for me to use up before it expires is definitely milk–I just don’t use enough to even finish a half gallon. :/
    Melissa recently posted..The Schweaty Mess Maker