Nothing Goes To Waste

by Courtney on April 6, 2011

I really don’t like wasting food.

Anytime we have leftovers in the house, I always make sure that they get eaten up (whether by me or Jay) or used up in one way or another. Case in point…

Yesterday when I was making the most amazing sugar cookies ever, I noticed that the recipe called for 3 egg yolks. Now, that could have meant that 3 egg whites ended up hitting the trash, BUT…I saved the whites in some tupperware and used them this morning for breakfast!

Talk about being resourceful, right? Winking smile I scrambled up my 3 leftover egg whites with a little milk (to make ‘em nice and fluffy!), along with some fresh basil, grape tomato halves, crumbled fat-free feta, and some S&P. They turned out delish!

On the side, I enjoyed another Lemon-Raspberry Muffin with a little butter.

They’re just so good!

I actually decided to throw some in the freezer today to save for another time.

Actually, that’s a lie. It was more of an attempt to prevent myself from OD’ing on them, seeing as through I’ve already made a fairly nice dent in the batch. Winking smile

I enjoyed breakfast while admiring my beautiful tulips. They’re really starting to open up!

Hopefully you guys aren’t getting sick of ‘em yet. Winking smile

IMG_1677IMG_1665

Workout

This morning’s workout was a good one! I hit the treadmill for some intervals that looked a little somethin’ like this:

0-5 mins 4.0mph – Warm-Up
5-6 8.0mph
6-7 4.5mph
7-35 Repeat run @ 8.0 & walk @ 4.5 intervals
35-40 4.0 – Cool Down

I ended up hitting 4 miles almost exactly on the dot and finished as a nice, sweaty mess. It was a nice change of pace from my usual interval routine.

*************

This afternoon, in addition to some un-pictured veggies & hommus, I also lunched on an incredible pumpkin yogurt mess. I had the perfect amount left in my large Oikos container, so I ate right out of that. Hey, less dishes!

You know what’s pretty cool? When you buy the large container that’s about to expire so you can save an extra dollar…and then you forget to make sure the cashier actually TAKES the coupon. Fail. Annoyed

But that’s besides the point…let’s talk about this fantastic, pumpkin-licious bowl!

In the mix: plain Oikos, canned pumpkin (1/3 cup?), 1/2 sliced banana, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, raisins, chia seeds, and granola.

I just love pumpkin in my yogurt! I wish it was more easily available year-round. If I had enough space, I’d probably stockpile cases and cases of it around Thanksgiving time. Winking smile

************

I’m so excited for my evening ahead! I’m meeting up with my dear friend, Sarah, for happy hour and dinner at one of our favorite spots, Bombers. They have some of the best burritos and margaritas around.

WOOT WOOT for girls night! Open-mouthed smile

Questions for the Day:

What do you do (if anything) to keep from wasting food?

When was your last “girls night?” Smile

1 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers April 6, 2011 at 2:54 pm

i did almost the exact same workout yesterday! it’s a good one! i love the balance between walkng and running fast.

enjoy your girl’s night! sip on a margarita for me! ole!
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..Not a Sweet

2 Courtney April 6, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Ahhhhhh, I knew I saw something like it somewhere but couldn’t remember WHERE! Totally would have given you credit had my spacey-self not forgotten…sheesh! :-O

3 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers April 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm

oh no worries in the least! i just thought it was cool! :) workout twiiiins.
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..Not a Sweet

4 Lisa @ Healthy Diaries April 6, 2011 at 2:55 pm

The tulips look beautiful today!!

I hate wasting food as well but I am guilty of tossing egg whites when I only need the yolk for baking. I’ll definitely remember to keep them for my breakfast next time!
Lisa @ Healthy Diaries recently posted..I get to eat what I want!

5 Ann April 6, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I use up all my leftovers too! I’ve totally done that same thing and had a little container in the fridge with egg whites waiting to be used the next day for breakfast. Sometimes we eat our leftovers straight up (like a casserole or something that makes several servings), and sometimes I’ll try to re-purpose ingredients to make something new. You can throw just about anything in a wrap and call it a burrito!

6 Courtney April 6, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Hahaha, yes you can! :)

7 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) April 6, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I’ve never added pumpkin to my greek yogurt before but your yogurt mess seriously has me running to the kitchen to grab a snack :D

Have a fun night out! Burritos and margaritas sound like my kind of night ;) My last girls night was Saturday for a bachelorette party, tons of fun.

8 Kimberley April 6, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Girls night is my favourite. Margaritas + Sangrias are such good treats :)

I always make muffins and only keep a couple on hand and freeze the rest, otherwise I usually end up wasting them they go dry so quickly!

9 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I try not to overbuy so I don’t waste food. I hate throwing food away!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the crazy thing i she did

10 miranda @working mom works out April 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm

My husband isn’t a big fan of leftovers, so I usually, at least once a week, take a lunch to work that is a hodgepodge of leftovers.

Your oats look wonderful!

11 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 6, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Nice idea to save the egg whites! Why don’t I ever think of that?!

The tulips are gorgeous! See – you don’t need the sun & warm California weather when you have those to brighten up your day. Cheesy? You know it!

12 Courtney April 6, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Hahaha…I’d still take the sun and warmth from Cali! ;)

13 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries April 6, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I made these muffins yesterday! I only had blueberries on hand, so I used those instead of raspberries, and they turned out so well! I’m having a girl’s night tonight – and you can bet I’m taking my best friend half the batch to prevent myself from eating all of them (in one sitting)! :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..If Money Grew on Trees

14 Lindsay April 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I absolutely love pumpkin in greek yogurt! I still have a few cans left from when I stockpiled in the fall, and think I need to create that recipe again! I’ve also never mixed egg whites and milk (am I weird?) but sounds delicious to make them fluffy and flavorful!

15 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun April 6, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Heads up that they freeze and reheat really well! :)

That yogurt bowl looks divine .I’m on such a yogurt bowl kick these days.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self-Love Reflections- Outward Beauty

16 Emily April 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm

GET THE CHEESE FRIES AT BOMBERS, THEY ARE TO DIE FOR! Real gooey, melted cheese on them, so yum :) Or the sweet potato fries are pretty amazing too! enjoy the margaritias :D
Emily recently posted..Workout Playlists and Fantastical Cupcakes

17 Courtney April 6, 2011 at 10:45 pm

sweet potato fries are a GIVEN! :-D

18 Erica April 6, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Hey Courtney, First of all i just want to say I LOVE YOUR BLOG! all your pictures and recipes have inspired my grocery list every week. I have never really been one to eat healthy but you have taught me other wise,from simply switching the bad for healthy ingredents and still tasting great without all the guilt and bulking up my meals with alot of veggies, I have lost 14 lbs from that!( im trying to have a healthier lifestyle so my body can be baby ready in the near future)so thank you for the inspiration! but i only eat egg whites so i always throw out alot of yolks during the week,so i was wondering if you had any suggestions what i could possibly do with them. I ve tried buying the only egg whites carton but to me they dont taste as fresh as coming straight from the egg so i wasnt very fond of them. It drives my husband crazy to me throw all those extra egg yolks, so i was wondering if you ever had that problem of wasting any yolks. thanks : )

19 Courtney April 6, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Erica, congratulations! That’s awesome to hear!
As far as the yolks go, you could always make a batch of those sugar cookies for your husband…? ;) Hehe…
But what if you buy the egg whites in the carton and add a little milk to them? That’s what I do, and it seems to help with the “fluff” factor a bit. Make sure to season ‘em up a bit too…even if it’s just a little salt and pepper!

20 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl April 6, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I am the WORST when it comes to wasting food. It is because I like a little taste of everything. Need to work on that along with baking from scratch :-). I cannot believe you saved the egg whites. You are officially amazing.

Pumpkin yogurt looked delish. Mouth watering. Must go eat!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Sometimes Healthy Oatmeal Banana Split Sundae

21 Tara @ The Game of Life April 6, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I hate wasting food too! i just blogged about this actually… I drank rotten milk! Bad idea.. never do it! hah

I just had dinner with one of my friends tonight! :)
Tara @ The Game of Life recently posted..Inspiration

22 Melissa April 6, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I am loving the tomato, basil, egg white combo this week, too! I have been adding a scoop of ricotta to the egg whites because I have ricotta to use up, so there ya go! Also, if I have fresh herbs, I will put them in EVERYTHING until they are gone. I hate for them to go to waste. The hardest thing for me to use up before it expires is definitely milk–I just don’t use enough to even finish a half gallon. :/
Melissa recently posted..The Schweaty Mess Maker

23 Lauren April 6, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Lemon Raspberry? Oh my! I wonder how that would work in a scone!
Lauren recently posted..Southwest Chicken Soup

24 CaSaundra April 6, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I am really big on always using up leftovers too!! Unless it goes bad, I’ll most likely use it in some way!

25 Lea @ Healthy Coconut April 6, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I love doing intervals and have been loving my HIIT workout.

I’m going to try yours…to change it up at the gym.

I’ve been doing a treadmill, cycle and elliptical HIIT routine that totals about 15 minutes. I just made it up and love it.
Lea @ Healthy Coconut recently posted..Dance as though no one is watching

26 Lea @ Healthy Coconut April 6, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Oppps, I meant 15 mins each machine = 45 mins total
Lea @ Healthy Coconut recently posted..Dance as though no one is watching

27 Khushboo April 6, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I hate wasting food! Leftovers make the best packed lunch. They actually taste better the next day as the flavors have time to get acquainted.
Khushboo recently posted..Back to reality