A Little Past Its Prime

by Courtney on April 8, 2011

I have got a GREAT night ahead of me, with some GREAT friends! Sarah should be here any minute to come and pick me up (Jay’s working late so he has to meet up with us later) so I’ve gotta make this one snappy!

Today’s lunch was really nothing you haven’t seen before, but it doesn’t mean it wasn’t delicious.

Carrots & celery along with some very garlicky hommus. Winking smile

A super sweet golden delicious apple (my absolute favorite).

And a fantastic yogurt bowl. Today’s combo included a honey flavored Chobani, topped off with some chia seeds, Cinnamon Burst Cheerios, and trail mix.

I actually picked up this package of Planters Apple Cinnamon Daybreak Blend over the weekend at the grocery store. It was in the “clearance” cart, so for just over $1.00, I figured it was worth it. I assumed that it must have been discontinued…?

But as soon as I munched on a couple pieces, I started to realize…

It’s a little past its prime. Winking smile

Luckily, it’s really only the dried cranberries that feel like they’re going to break my teeth in half, so as long as I weed those out from now on, I should be golden.

Note to self…there’s a reason foods are in the clearance cart! Winking smile

Before I go, I’ll leave you all with a couple links I recently got in an email from Active.com about running. I found them pretty interesting, so hopefully you will too!

7 Healthy Foods for Runners

10 Tips for Beginning Runners

YIPPEE for the weekend! Hope you all had a great week and have an even better start to your weekend.

Question for the Day:

What is the best piece of running (or exercise in general) advice you’ve ever received?

1 Kelly April 8, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Start slowly and don’t do too much too soon!
Kelly recently posted..winner winner chicken dinner

2 Karen April 8, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Thanks for sharing those links! I am a beginning runner and found that link especially helpful!
Karen recently posted..Stylish Blogger Award

3 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) April 8, 2011 at 3:57 pm

i LOVE running tips! thanks for those links!! hmm i think post fuel recovery is the BEST tip.. esp when im running or working out the next day!
Carrie (Moves ‘N Munchies) recently posted..YOU BETTA READ!

4 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 8, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Best advice I’ve ever received in terms of exercising is to just have fun. When you stop having fun, you start dreading the work outs.

I hope you have a lovely Friday night, Courtney! :)

5 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries April 8, 2011 at 4:08 pm

My uncle told me that running is like pizza: It’s great, but if you have it everyday, you’ll start to hate it. But if you have it in moderation, it’ll be enjoyable every time :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..If Money Grew on Trees

6 Khushboo April 8, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I like that a lot, so true!
Khushboo recently posted..France would be proud

7 Jen April 8, 2011 at 4:14 pm

don’t give up!!!
Jen recently posted..DC Adventures Come to a Close

8 Sarah @ healthygirlrunning April 8, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Don’t compare yourself to others who are more advanced! And don’t be afraid to take it slow! You gotta build up your stamina! :)

9 Tara @ The Game of Life April 8, 2011 at 4:55 pm

haha I am guilty of purchasing old food too :/

Running advice: Have fun with it! As soon as it becomes a chore, your running will suffer. You have to be excited about it, and once you are out there relax!! Also don’t be afraid to take days off…. it will only make you better! :)
Tara @ The Game of Life recently posted..Inspiration

10 Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza April 8, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Best advice: get fitted for good running shoes!

Have a great night with your friends!

11 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" April 8, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Best Advice/Running Mantra: Tell yourself that you don’t HAVE to run, you GET to run. Have a great weekend :-)

12 Brenda @Year 25 April 8, 2011 at 8:12 pm

The best advice comes from Nike: Just do it.

13 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 8, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Hey, I’d buy discounted food too! :)

I always run at my own pace. By going out too fast, I kill myself!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the crazy thing i she did

14 Khushboo April 8, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Beat running advice I’ve gotten is to not run for speed or distance but instead to run for myself. When the pressures off, running is so much more enjoyable for me.

Does adding chia seeds to the yogurt create a plumpier texture?
Khushboo recently posted..France would be proud

15 Courtney April 9, 2011 at 12:20 am

I don’t notice much of a difference in the yogurt, but I also eat it fairly quick. I DO notice a difference, however, when it’s added to my almond milk in cereal!

16 Sarah April 9, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I LOVE putting trail mix in my oatmeal and yogurt! the only problem is, its so freaking good i tend to eat al 6 or 7 servings in a 2 day span.. whoooppsss. I forgot the brand i get ( its dark green) its has tons of varieties, i don’t even recall the name version I love, i just grab and go ( very helpful information I know ;) )
Sarah recently posted..happy friday!

17 Kristen April 9, 2011 at 5:08 pm

best piece of advice was to listen to your body. Take your time, dont push it.

18 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) April 9, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Best piece of exercise advice is form first above everything else and then push it harder each and every time :D I hate when I think I’m getting a good deal on something with a coupon and it turns out expired haha. At least it’s only nuts, I bought expired cottage cheese. Bleh :(
Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) recently posted..Weekend Wedding