Thanks so much for all your Blogiversary wishes! I’m so glad you guys are liking my prize pack.
Don’t forget to enter the giveaway if you haven’t already!!
So tonight’s dinner was a new adventure for me…I roasted a chicken.
Alright, I know it doesn’t look pretty. What can I say? I got a little anxious and ended up ripping the skin during prep. So although it may not look perfect, it still tasted pretty perfect.
Better yet, it was actually pretty easy, too! I used this recipe as a base to start prepping my bird, but ended up adding a little extra to suit my own tastes. So I got the naked little guy washed and dried, and then it was time to get to work.
First, I started out by mixing the spices together for the rub. Yes, that’s a little orange zest in there! Also, please take note of my makeshift roasting rack. I think it’s one of the only kitchen gadgets I don’t have, so I made my own using a cookie cooling rack and the rack out of my toaster oven. Hey, it works!
Next, I rubbed half of the spice mixture underneath the skin of the bird.
Then, I rubbed a little bit of canola oil over the top of the skin,
along with the rest of the spice mixture.
Finally, I squeezed about half of an orange over the top for a little extra flavor. Mmmm mmmmm.
Before tossing the bird into the oven, I punctured a lemon and pushed that sucker right inside.
I could not help but laugh while I was doing this, after I did this, and even right now as I’m typing this. Sorry, I’m mature, I know. Teehehehe.
I also ended up adding a little bit of garlic in there as well, because hey, you can never have too much garlic. Well, except for this one time…yowsahs!
After about 1:45 in the oven, my little timer popped and it was time to eat!
Jay took care of the carving, thankfully. Cody is going to have some awesome chicken scraps tonight!
The chicken turned out so moist and tender, and FULL of flavor!! I actually had to give myself a pat on the back for this one.
Savory Roasted Chicken
- 1 (6 pound) roasting chicken
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp minced onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp grated orange zest
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Carefully loosen the skin above the breast meat. Combine the first seven spice ingredients; rub half of the herb mixture under the loosened skin. Rub chicken skin with oil; sprinkle with remaining herb mixture. Puncture lemon and place into cavity of chicken, along with garlic clove.
- Roast chicken for about 20 minutes (to get a golden crispy skin and good smoky flavor). Reduce temperature down to 375 degrees for the remainder of cooking time, about 1-1-1/2 hours.
- Allow chicken to rest for 15 minutes upside down (breast down) to let the juices run to the good meat. Remove skin before carving. ENJOY!
Along with our chicken, I cooked up some brown rice (in chicken broth instead of water) and Tina’s Best Roasted Broccoli Recipe.
She’s not kidding…this recipe is phenomenal!
And it went perfectly with my chicken.
If I only had the time and patience to cook like this every night…
Hey, at least we’ve got plenty of leftovers!
Time to go clean up the dishes and then give my hands some much-needed lovin’ with a manicure. Saweeeet!
Question for the Evening:
Have you ever roasted a whole chicken or turkey?