Healthy Cranberry Almond Granola

by Courtney on April 14, 2011

This morning while on the treadmill (doing this intense workout) I started to feel inspired to do a little damage in the kitchen. I wasn’t quite sure what damage I was was going to do, but I decided it had to have these three things:

• something I’ve never tried making before
  • something I could eat for breakfast
  • something that I could “healthify”

The winning result…?

IMG_2057

Cranberry Almond “Healthified” Granola!! (see full recipe below)

Surprisingly, it was much easier to make than I expected, so let’s get right down to it…

First, I mixed some old-fashioned oats and puffed rice cereal and toasted it for about 10 minutes in the oven.

IMG_2033

While that was toasting, I mixed together my wet ingredients & spices. I was actually quite excited to find another way to incorporate some more of my POM Wonderful juice!

IMG_2037

Once the oats & cereal were slightly toasted, I put it back into a bowl and mixed in some slivered almonds,

IMG_2038

ground flaxseed meal,

IMG_2039

and chia seeds.

IMG_2040

Stir, stir, stir!

IMG_2041

Once incorporated, I added in my wet ingredients and mixed until everything was nice and covered.

IMG_2042IMG_2045

Then I placed it back on the baking sheet and cooked it for another 15 or so minutes, stirring every few minutes.

IMG_2046

After the granola base was done cooking, I put it back into the bowl and added in my dried fruits: cranberries & raisins.

IMG_2048IMG_2049

VOILA! A big ‘ol bowl of granola for the taking. Open-mouthed smile

IMG_2050

[/print_this]

IMG_2058

For it being my first attempt at granola, I was pretty impressed! It’s not overly sweet, so if you like your granola sweeter, you may want to add a bit more brown sugar or honey.

The great part about it too is, if you don’t have all the same ingredients, just substitute in what you like. No cranberries? Try cherries! No almonds? Try sunflower seeds!

IMG_2063

Endless possibilities, my friends. Endless! Smile

I enjoyed quite a few handfuls before finally buckling down and making myself a yogurt + granola bowl, with some fresh strawberries and grapes on the side.

IMG_2053

IMG_2052

***********

Thanks to everyone who entered my Chavrie Goat Cheese Giveaway! The following comment numbers are our winners:

Congrats!! Open-mouthed smile

Please be sure to email me your shipping info at sweettoothcourtney@gmail.com.

Question for the Day:

What’s the best granola you’ve ever had? (

And if you have any recipes, feel free to SHARE em! I have a feeling that this won’t be my last batch…) Winking smile

1 Charlie April 14, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Your granola looks delicious! yum! Love that you added pomegranate juice!
    Favorite granola… that’s a hard one! Let’s go with two ;).

My favorite with milk: Maple Pecan Quinoa Crunch Granola http://www.sweetsaltyspicy.net/2011/03/maple-pecan-quinoa-crunch-granola.html

My favorite with yogurt: Chocolate, Cherry & Coconut Granola http://www.sweetsaltyspicy.net/2011/03/chocolate-cherry-coconut-granola.html
    Charlie recently posted..Gingerbread Biscotti

2 Courtney April 14, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I actually printed your maple pecan quinoa granola and plan on making that one soon! :)

3 Khushboo April 14, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Delicious breakfast! Do you have to go into school to teach today?? If so, you really are superwoman!
    Khushboo recently posted..France would be proud

4 Courtney April 14, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Haha, no I don’t have to go in.

5 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers April 14, 2011 at 1:32 pm

i was wondering the same thing! are you on spring break?
    Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..The Power of a Plan

6 ashley April 14, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I was wondering the same thing! you have had so much extra time lately!!

7 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers April 14, 2011 at 1:35 pm

haha courtney, i think we’re all a little too involved in your life! :o)
    Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..The Power of a Plan

8 Khushboo April 14, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Interrogation central! Haha :)
    Khushboo recently posted..France would be proud

9 Courtney April 14, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Hahaha, you’re more than welcome to be involved in my life! ;)
    I’m actually not on spring break…it’s something that I haven’t mentioned yet, but seeing as though people are starting to notice, I suppose I should probably fill ya’ll in soon!

10 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries April 14, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I’ve always thought making granola would be difficult – but this looks like something I can handle! :)
    Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Tacos &amp a Girl with a Tattoo

11 Cait @ Beyond Bananas April 14, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Wow.. that granola looks so simple and so delicoius! I need to start making my own asap!

12 Lisa @ Healthy Diaries April 14, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I’ve never made my own granola before. -yours looks delicious!
    I actually don’t eat granola too often. I used to buy it in the bulk section at my whole foods.
    Lisa @ Healthy Diaries recently posted..Say hello to our new trees &amp garden!

13 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 14, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Looks delicious! I love that granola is so versatile! I don’t think I’ve made the same kind twice!
    chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the crazy thing i she did

14 Sarah May C April 14, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Wow! Love it, didn’t even realise you could make granola – shows how much I know! We are not big on ‘granola’ here in the UK although I absolutely love the stuff – I discovered it on my travels in New York, it’s one of my favourite breakfasts to have when I’m ever in America (other favourite: spinach and feta omlette with potatoes – what do you call them, home fries? Mmmm!) we are a bit behind with granola over here so I will definitely be trying out this idea one day when I can find some time… and so many different versions, apparently – thanks again, Courtney – and all! By the way – the skewered prawns you inspired were a success at my dinner party – loved them ;-)

15 Courtney April 14, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Awww, I’m so glad!! :-D

16 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl April 14, 2011 at 2:13 pm

My best friend’s mother makes this “Magic Granola.” Everyone in Omaha knows about Suzy’s granola (well not everyone but a lot!). I have no idea what is in it but it is sweet, crunch, fresh and delicious. I suppose I should get the recipe from her! Your granola looks so healthy and tasty. I must make it!
    Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..A Change In Plans

17 Kimberley April 14, 2011 at 2:24 pm

It seems that every blog I am reading today has granola in it, I am not complaining one bit :) except for the fact that I am jealous and need to make my own asap, so perfect timing for your recipe !
    Kimberley recently posted..Technology Troubles

18 Chelsea April 14, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Yum! I love granola and your looks so delish!
    Chelsea recently posted..Scaredy Pup

19 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) April 14, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I always tell myself I’ll make granola and then I see it on sale and I buy it lol Such fail. The best granola so far is Bear Naked Chocolate. I haven’t seen Love Grown granola around here so I still haven’t tried it. Love your recipe! :D Granola is the ultimate oatmeal topper

20 Alexa @ Simple Eats April 14, 2011 at 6:15 pm

This looks perfect for yogurt bowls and oats! Love the idea of the POM juice!
    Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Semi-Wordless Weekend

21 Julie April 14, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I recently bought some Country Pumpkin Spice granola from Trader Joe’s. It is yummy with some yogurt or just by itself! I’ve never made granola myself but it looks pretty easy so I’ll have to try it sometime!

22 Jordan April 14, 2011 at 6:51 pm

What a great idea to use POM instead of apple juice! I feel like that would make this recipe 1000x better. And I love the idea of using dried cherries in it….I just wish they weren’t so expensive! I might have to try this soon!

23 Lauren April 14, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Your granola looks really yummy! I’m going to have to make some soon!
    Lauren recently posted..Ive been hiding warning long post

24 Sarah April 15, 2011 at 11:37 am

YUM! This really does seem easy! I have a lot of those ingredients on hand so may be giving this one a try soon!
    Sarah recently posted..Self Serve Froyo and Playlists

25 hazel@ Toasted Pecans Recipe June 28, 2011 at 6:22 am

Delicious. And easy to make . Wow I love those cereal The way you demonstrate your recipe are well instructed that we can easy learn. thanks for the recipe .