A New Tradition

by Courtney on April 19, 2011

Thank you to Log Cabin for sponsoring my post about updated traditions in my household. To learn more about Log Cabin Syrups (which are all free of High Fructose Corn Syrup), breakfast for dinner, and other new ways to update traditions in your home, click here. I was selected for this sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective, which endorses Blog With Integrity, as I do.

***********

Even though this post is sponsored, thanks to the nice folks at Clever Girls Collective, it couldn’t have come at a better time because everything in today’s post is something I was planning on posting about anyways.

Growing up, I had a few good traditions that centered around food. For example,

- Friday night was pizza night because dad was out bowling and mom, I’m sure, didn’t feel like cooking.

- Christmas morning brunch was made by me.

- Sunday mornings were made for waffles or pancakes, and my dad was what we called our “Official Waffler.”

102_0001

I’ll still stand by my statement that my dad makes some of the best waffles around. In fact, he recently “upped” his waffle making to a whole new level this past Christmas, when he received a Double Belgian Waffle Maker.

source

He’s no joke…and either is this contraption.

Unfortunately for me, since I no longer live with mom and dad, I often miss out on those Sunday morning waffles, and have yet to try his new goods. BUT…there’s hope!

This past week, my family and I were talking about what we were going to have for Easter dinner. You see, we’re not really the typical “ham & turkey” dinner type when it comes to holidays or special dinners. I’d say 85% of the time, it’s most likely lasagna or some other form of my mom’s amazing Italian cooking.

So I suggested that we start an entirely new tradition on Easter by having Breakfast for Dinner! I mean, really, who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner? I know we all do! Open-mouthed smile

DSCN0270

Give me waffles or fluffy pancakes with lots-o-syrup any time.

I’m quite looking forward to our new Easter “Dinner” tradition! And I’m actually thinking about implementing a once-a-week “Breakfast for Dinner” at home for me and Jay. It’d give me a chance to experiment with some new breakfast recipes. Smile

**Thanks so much for all your suggestions & requests from this morning’s “Call for Reader’s Requests!” Keep ‘em comin’…I love hearing them!

Question for the Day:

What new traditions have you recently started? What ones would you LIKE to start?

1 Kathryn April 19, 2011 at 12:35 pm

We do weird things…this Easter we’ll be taking the kids to join my parents at the lake. With our temp hitting in the mid-90’s this week, it’ll be better to get out of town where it’s a bit cooler.

2 Leslie April 19, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Or as my husband and I call it: BRINNER!
We make brinner weekly, it’s one of our favorite nightly meals of the entire week. Definitely a good idea :)

3 Courtney April 19, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Brinner! I love it! I actually like to call the late lunch/early dinner “Linner.” Great minds obviously think alike ;)

4 Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries April 19, 2011 at 12:42 pm

My family and I always make Italian dishes on Christmas Eve. We’re not Italian but we like to pretend to be :)
Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries recently posted..Weekend Adventures

5 Brittney April 19, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I love breakfast for dinner! Yum!
Brittney recently posted..From Albany To NYC

6 Stephanie April 19, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Hi I’m Steph! I’ve followed your blog for awhile now and finally decided to make one of my own. I figured I’d leave a comment so I’m not a blog lurker anymore :) I’m from the area as well! Oddly enough the first time I visited your blog you mentioned something about Stewart’s beer and I was shocked that there were actual bloggers from the area :p

I’m so jealous you get to have breakfast for dinner on Easter, though! I could seriously eat breakfast all day long and never get bored of it :)

7 Courtney April 19, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Hi Steph! Thanks for making your first comment! :) I always love hearing from readers…especially locals!
Congrats on starting the blog and best of luck to you. :)

8 Holly April 19, 2011 at 2:20 pm

That’s too funny- we always have ‘lazy’ lasagna for Easter too! That’s the only thing I know. I’m always like ‘whaaaa you eat HAM for Easter?! That’s SO weird!’ Haha! When I’M actually the weird one ;)
Holly recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday

9 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl April 19, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I’m all about breakfast for dinner! I’m actually going to do that tonight (provided I get home at a decent hour). I’ve had this recipe in my head forever and clearly will never actually make it for breakfast.

I recently started the tradition of eating giant salads every Monday night. Because I’m blogging, I try to center them around a theme :-) It’s the most I can do on Mondays. For some reason, I’m always tired! haha

As for new traditions: I’d like to start making a healthy breakfast before my long runs on Saturdays. It won’t start this Saturday since I’m out of town, but maybe next..

By the way, I actually love Log Cabin Syrup – not just for pancakes and waffles, even my English Muffin sandwiches. So much so, that my friend told me I had to cool it with the syrup because my apartment was starting to smell like syrup. OOOOOPS! :-)
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Sleeping More than Ryan Reynolds…

10 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers April 19, 2011 at 3:53 pm

dear courtney,

i would like to start a tradition of g-chatting with you regularly.

love,
julie
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..When the Music Moves You

11 Courtney April 19, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Dear Julie,
I think this can be arranged. ;)

Love,
Courtney

12 Charlie April 19, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Breakfast for dinner is awesome.
When I have no idea what to eat for dinner, I make french toast :). YUM
Charlie recently posted..Marmalade Three Nut Granola

13 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) April 19, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I would love doing a breakfast for dinner tradition! I love oatmeal in the mornings but I crave pancakes at night lol Totally random :D

14 Kim April 19, 2011 at 6:14 pm

We do Easta Fiesta! Ha! We started it last year and had a “peep” pinata (like the marshmallow things), enchiladas, margaritas, the whole bit. We’re not ham eaters so it was a perfect change up from the routine.
Kim recently posted..Eat Your Alphabet

15 Courtney April 19, 2011 at 7:00 pm

That is SO CUTE! I love it!! :)

16 Melissa April 19, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I LOVE this idea! I might have to rip it off! One tradition I’d like to start is running a race on Thanksgiving morning. I’m hoping to recruit my dad and maybe my sis for this one next year!
Melissa recently posted..Excellent Enthusiasm

17 Khushboo April 19, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Best idea yet! Any time of day is the perfect time for breakfast! Why not make start off with something savory like quiches and then end with a decadent variation of waffles/pancakes i.e. topped with ice cream- it’s Easter after all :D
Khushboo recently posted..Get over it