Two of My Favorites: Shopping and Baking

by Courtney on April 23, 2011

Hey Hey! How’s everyone’s Saturday been so far?

Mine has pretty much been split between shopping and baking…two of my favorites!

The shopping was more of a “time to stock up” trip to Sam’s Club, but we ended up with some goodies. It’s amazing how much the money adds up when we shop here. But luckily, a lot of this stuff will last us a long time, so it’s totally worth the initial shock value.

I was actually kind of hoping that we’d come across some good samples while shopping, but I only came across one lone pinwheel appetizer. Regardless, it was good…and I’ve actually had them before. Winking smile

I did a lot of grazing this afternoon in between baking, but I did end up stopping to have a delicious snack of cottage cheese, strawberries, and pineapple chunks.

Cottage cheese + pineapple is one of my favorite combos. Always so tasty. Smile

**********

Oh right, so I mentioned I did some baking today, right?

The other day as I was going through some of my baking equipment, I came across these egg shaped pans which I knew would be PERFECT for Easter.

Better yet, I came up with a recipe that would be just as perfect for tomorrow.

Jay and I have a brunch to attend tomorrow morning, followed by “dinner” at my parents’ house. If you remember, we’re actually having “breakfast for dinner” so I needed something that could work double duty.

Enter: Jelly-Filled Doughnut Cupcakes

Of course, I had to try a bite. You know, just to make sure they were okay to take tomorrow.

They’re definitely okay to take. Winking smile

I made a mix of mini egg-shaped doughnut cupcakes plus regular cupcakes, and I put together a plate to take to each gathering.

Uhh ohh. Unfortunately, there were a few that just didn’t make the cut. I guess they’re just gonna have to stay with me. What a shame…

Don’t worry, I’ll have a full recipe up for you during the week! Smile

Oh yes, and as if the doughnut cupcakes weren’t enough…

I also baked up a new batch of Chocolate PB Cup Cupcakes.

You may notice that the frosting looks a little different on these bad boys. Well, that’s because it is. I got a little creative today and came up with a Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Frosting.

Oh yes. I went there. It’s outrageous.

And don’t worry…that recipe will be comin’ your way this week, too. Winking smile

*********

Now after being stuck face-to-face with sweets all day long, I’m about ready to sit down with a big ‘ol salad that looks a lot like this one that I had last Tuesday.

It’s just me & Cody tonight, since Jay’s out for a “Guy’s Night.” I’m planning on popping in a girly movie, puttin’ on my cozies, and just chillin’ for the rest of the evening.

Sound like a plan? Winking smile

Question for the Evening:

If you could only pick one treat from above, which would it be: doughnut cupakes or peanut butter cup cupcakes?

1 pat April 23, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I hope some of those PB cupcakes are coming to my house tomorrow!!! they look positively YUMMY!

2 Courtney April 23, 2011 at 8:29 pm

They aren’t :( They were actually for Meg…but the doughnuts are! :)

3 Lauren April 23, 2011 at 8:29 pm

There’s not a Sam’s Club near me! :( I hate that because I know it can be great for savings long term. MAN those Chocolate and PB cupcakes look amazing, that’s my favorite kind!!!
Lauren recently posted..Happy Earth Day!!!

4 Allison April 23, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Ahh I sure hope you explain how you made the swirl frosting- they look SO beautiful and professional! You should definitely start selling your cupcakes! :) Have a wonderful Easter!
Allison recently posted..Run Your Own Race

5 AL April 23, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Those cupcakes look amazing!! I was I could bake like that! I need to start practicing!

6 Kate Gifford April 23, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Those PB cupcakes look amazing!
Happy Easter!!

7 Mandee April 23, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Ok, soooo those jelly doughnut cupcakes look fan-freaking-tastic! I hope the recipe is coming very soon! Question… I have to bring in bday cupcakes on Tuesday and I’m trying to find a new recipe to try… do you have a favorite white cake recipe?
Mandee recently posted..Neon BunniesChocolateMini Cupcakes… Yes- Please!

8 Heather T April 23, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Omg those pb cupcakes look so good! I love how you did the frosting!!

9 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 23, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Those peanut butter cupcakes look so professional! You should open up a bakery for sure!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..meat free for me

10 Kimberley April 23, 2011 at 9:27 pm

You are the desert queen :)

cupcakes=my fav! I wish I could make them as pretty as yours though haha! must practice!
Kimberley recently posted..Beauty Round-Up

11 Laura April 23, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Peanut butter cupcakes hands down! Happy Easter!
Laura recently posted..Maui Day 4

12 Arianna @ laughter + linguini April 23, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I loove cottage cheese with pineapples! I used to work at a daycare center and that was the favorite snack :) Also, that salad looks delicious!
Arianna @ laughter + linguini recently posted..Cinnamon

13 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet April 23, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Please send me some of those PB cupcakes! They look awesome!!! Reminded me of choco-vanilla swirl soft serve, which is never a bad thing!

I’m not much of a jelly donut person, but I love cinnamon munchkins from dunkin’.

Can’t wait to see the recipes :)
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..When Sushi Isn’t Enough

14 Melissa April 23, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I am so impressed! They both look gorgeous and I’m sure I wouldn’t turn down either one, but I’d have to go for the Jelly Doughnut Cupcakes! I’m usually not all that big on jelly or doughnuts, but since I’ve made your Chocolate PB cupcakes before, I want to try another one of your recipes! You have some cupcake genius going on here, girl!
Melissa recently posted..Weekend Recap

15 Molly Carter April 23, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Peanut butter chocolate cupcakes for sure! Nothing beats pb and chocolate. :)
Molly Carter recently posted..Four Ingredient Microwave Burritos

16 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life April 23, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I can’t wait for the recipes. Both looks amazing! What kind of tip do you use for frosting your cupcakes? The frosting look perfect and I’ve been looking for something that could give me that effect.
Happy Easter! :)
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Strawberry cheesecake

17 Courtney April 23, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I used a large star tip for those PB cup cupcakes.

18 Parita @ myinnershakti April 23, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Ohh def. the PB cupcakes – they look delish!!!
Parita @ myinnershakti recently posted..Book Worm

19 Kristi April 23, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Peanut butter cupcakes! I always drool when I see pictures of your cupcakes!
Kristi recently posted..Lucky

20 Khushboo April 23, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I never thought I would call a cupcake gorgeous! Cupcakes win for me any day- unless they’re glazed, I’m not really a fan of donuts..which is surprising because jelly on any carb is always a win-win!
Khushboo recently posted..Breakfast of chia-mpions

21 cait April 23, 2011 at 11:36 pm

ummmm yes PLEASE put that reicipe up asap for those pb cupcakes! i’ll be making them 2398279 times a week..er month…okay year..haha ;)
cait recently posted..GUEST POST

22 Suzanne Spray April 24, 2011 at 12:15 am

Definitely looking forward to the frosting recipe! Your cupcakes always look amazing! :)
Suzanne Spray recently posted..Lovin’ my new Ryka’s!

23 Lynny April 24, 2011 at 2:44 am

I am going to have to go those PB Cupcakes! They look delish
Lynny recently posted..Puppy Love – and another restaurant night

24 CaSaundra April 24, 2011 at 9:09 am

You’re not gonna believe it–I had to make Reeses PB Cupcakes for an Easter party yesterday too–we are always cupcaking away..love it! :-)

25 Presley April 24, 2011 at 9:10 am

Peanut butter cup cupcakes all the way!! I actually don’t like jelly donuts, weird right? I like custard filled… I think that should be your next recipe :)

26 Sheena April 24, 2011 at 11:02 am

That salad looks perfect!
Sams Club left Canada a couple of years ago, and there’s been a whole in my life ever since. I loved their cheap produce. We moved to Nova Scotia from Ontario about a year ago and the cost of groceries here is just unreal.

27 Kristen April 24, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I would defiantly take the cupcake! anything PB is great in my book! haha

28 Caitlin Hancox October 7, 2011 at 9:58 am

All of your cupcakes look so amazing! You should start a cupcake business! They look straight out of a professional bakery, even better! I live in PA and would drive up to NY to get some! :)

29 Courtney October 7, 2011 at 10:45 am

That is such a nice compliment, thank you so much!! :)