Easter Eats & Egg Hunt Shenanigans

by Courtney on April 24, 2011

Whew! Talk about a jam-packed day full of lots of delicious food!

Late this morning, Jay and I headed over to his Aunt’s house for Easter brunch.

I was immediately greeted with a ruby red grapefruit margarita.

Nothin’ like startin’ the day off with a little tequila, eh? Winking smile It tasted light, refreshing, and totally delicious. Luckily, within a few minutes, brunch was served! Otherwise, the booze may have started talkin’!

Check out these casseroles, would ya?

My plate: Baked French Toast with pecan praline topping, Spinach & Sun-Dried Tomato Egg casserole, fresh roll (x2), and a mini doughnut cupcake.

The french toast was great, and reminded me a lot of the one that I usually make.

But this egg casserole?? Ohh good lord the egg casserole. This thing was out-of-control delicious. I totally went back for seconds on this stuff.

Hopefully, we’re going to be getting the recipe soon. When we do, I promise to share it with you all…only if you promise to make it. It’s soooo good! Smile

Eventually, it was time to hit the road, and we were off to my parent’s house.

As soon as we got settled in, I was greeted with more delicious beverages. This time? Sparkling orange punch, made with blah blah blah and champagne.

I sure do love me some champagne.

Before we could even think about “dinner,” we had more important things to take care of…our Annual Easter Egg Scavenger Hunt.

My entire life, my mom & dad the Easter Bunny has visited our house and strategically hidden plastic eggs throughout it. Growing up, I used to dominate my brother in the egg hunt like it was my job. It helped being older (and wiser).

However, the past few years have been a little less than victorious for me, so I came ready to bring my A-Game. I take the Easter egg hunt very seriously!

Jay, on the other hand, couldn’t care less.

Apparently, he’d rather pump some iron. Crazy boy, I’ll tell ya. There were eggs to be found!

Just in case you thought I was kidding about that serious thing…

Unfortunately, my strategies were not as successful as I had hoped, and I ended up without a victory. Booooo.

Next year, Dan. NEXT YEAR!

Hey, ya can’t win ‘em all, right? At least I didn’t come out of the deal empty handed…

Normally, our eggs are each filled with a quarter. But this year? TWO QUARTERS! I think the “Easter Bunny” must have been feeling a little generous. Winking smile

And he also has great taste when it comes to basket goodies…

Check out the goodies that came in our baskets…liquor-filled chocolates.

We all thoroughly enjoyed one right away. Smile

IMG_2458IMG_2459

I would have had more, BUT…it was dinner time! Or shall I say, breakfast time.

Dad got to work on his waffles.

IMG_2429IMG_2471

Mom cooked up the bacon & sausage (she even got me turkey sausage!).

I helped take the goods out of the oven.

And dinner was serrrrrved. My plate: half a waffle, overnight french toast, egg strata, & a slice of turkey sausage.

I also ended up having another half of a waffle…because I kind of can’t be controlled around breakfast foods, especially my dad’s waffles.

Now I’m in full food-coma mode, but I’m cool with it. I enjoyed everything that I wanted, I don’t regret it, and will be back to regularly-scheduled meals tomorrow. Plus maybe a few extra minutes on the treadmill. Winking smile

Question for the Evening:

What was the best part of your Easter/day?

1 Melissa April 24, 2011 at 8:43 pm

What a fun day! This was the first year for me living out of state, so I had “family Easter” with my new friends here. The weather was hot and sunny and we dyed eggs out on the deck! A perfect new tradition! :)

BTW, your hair looks so gorge! Love it! XO
Melissa recently posted..Weekend Recap

2 Courtney April 24, 2011 at 8:46 pm

That sounds like such a fun time!
And thank you :)

3 Farrah April 24, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I made the exact same french toast casserole with the pecan praline topping! It was out of this world good!
Farrah recently posted..Veggie Frittata

4 Lauren April 24, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Oh my goodness, looks like you had a day full of AMAZING food! That’s so fun that you guys still do an Easter egg hunt, looks like a blast!
Lauren recently posted..Easter Brunch

5 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 24, 2011 at 9:00 pm

What a fun day! This was my first Easter with just my husband – our family is back in Nebraska. We went out to brunch and stuffed ourselves silly with pancakes, hash browns and omelets! Definitely took a nap this afternoon – we experienced a food coma also! :)
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Blog Recipes

6 Courtney April 24, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Haha, sounds fantastic! :)

7 Kimberley April 24, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Girl, looks like you had an amazing easter filled with great food and drinks :)

Easter egg hunts will never get old !
Kimberley recently posted..Beauty Round-Up

8 Stefanie April 24, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Love the breakfast for dinner tradition! btw your hair looks soo good wavy like that!

9 Courtney April 24, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Thank you!! :)

10 TheBloggersBrother April 24, 2011 at 9:40 pm

VICTORRRYYYYYYYY

11 Courtney April 24, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I’ve got your number for next year!!!!!! It’ll be on!!! :-O

12 cait April 24, 2011 at 10:00 pm

wow girl how fun :) !!! love the quarters in the baskets haha! lucky girl! glad you had such a great easter! xo
cait recently posted..GUEST POST

13 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out April 24, 2011 at 10:02 pm

My favorite part of my day was my son waking up to his Easter Bunny goodies.

Your day looks awesome. And I would totally fit in with your family :D
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Happy Easter

14 Lynny April 24, 2011 at 10:08 pm

That looks like so much fun! We don’t do egg hunts but I think I might start it next year. Especially with money filled eggs!
Happy Easter!
Lynny recently posted..Puppy Love – and another restaurant night

15 Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 24, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Aw man, I wish I had liquor filled chocolates in my Easter basket. haha Looks like you had a wonderful Easter!!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Shortbread Cookies with Fudge Icing

16 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) April 24, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Wow now that is how you celebrate Easter! What a fun day :) Happy Easter!
Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) recently posted..“Tone” Your Body

17 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet April 24, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Tequila AND champagne AND liquor-filled chocolate?? That’s a good day!

This post is making me extremely hungry. Just look at all the French toast!!!

And I didn’t realize how tiny your doughnuts were, but next to that roll, they look so cute and little.

Oh, and your hair looks awesome when it’s wavy! Hope you had an awesome Easter :)
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..The Climb to Big Buddha

18 Presley April 24, 2011 at 11:14 pm

My grandma always puts quarters in our eggs, but this year she put in dollar bills! Somehow I cam away with less money, though. Hmm…

Looks like you had a great Easter!

19 Khushboo April 24, 2011 at 11:37 pm

What a fun day! Looks like you’re ballin with those 2 quarters ;)! Best part of my day might have been the waffles I had during brunch…actually I lie, the entire buffet was awesome!
Khushboo recently posted..Rock-bottom motivation

20 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" April 24, 2011 at 11:42 pm

All of that food looks amazing. I swear, I could eat breakfast for every meal and be one happy girl :-). The best part of my Easter was the weather that greeted me as soon as I arrived back in NYC. I was only gone for 3 days but I already missed it! And the weather plus frozen yogurt made this a happy Easter for me!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy Living Girl” recently posted..Recap- Indian Wedding Extravaganza Part 1

21 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine April 25, 2011 at 7:35 am

Ohh my mom gave me those chocolates for my birthday one year!! They’re so fun. I love that your fam has waffles for Easter dinner- what a fun tradition!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..The Only Thing Better Than Chocolate

22 Chad April 25, 2011 at 7:49 am

I know it isn’t very manly but I often order mimosas anyway (which your sparkling orance punch reminded me of)… I am secure!

Beautiful photos, btw.
Chad recently posted..Recipe- Spelt &amp Buckwheat Banana Pecan Bread

23 Courtney April 25, 2011 at 8:00 am

Mimosas are fantastic…nothin’ wrong with ordering those – man or WOman! ;)

24 Heather @ Girlyeverafter April 25, 2011 at 10:20 am

Those casseroles looks so good! Brunch and a margarita seems like Heaven!

25 Chelsa April 25, 2011 at 4:30 pm

It looks like you had an amazing Easter sunday… nothing wrong with tequila for breakfast
Chelsa recently posted..I Cheated On Sephora

26 Shayla April 25, 2011 at 7:34 pm

You look so beautiful and I love your hair wavy like that!! How do you do it?!

27 Courtney April 25, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I actually used a straightener to do it! You can check out Julie’s video tutorial on it here: http://www.pbfingers.com/2010/10/16/how-to-curl-your-hair-with-a-straightener-video/

28 Shayla April 25, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Yeah I saw that before but was too nervous to try it….since it looks awesome on you I’m inspired now to try it! Thanks!