Sensational Stuffed Spaghetti Squash

I’ve got a mouth-watering dinner in store for you all tonight. You’re not gonna want to miss it!

Seee? I told ya.

A couple of weeks ago, Jay and I were watching one of our favorite shows, Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives on the Food Network. Seriously, we love that show.

I have no idea where exactly Guy was in this particular episode, because all I could fixate on was the Stuffed Spaghetti Squash that was featured. It left me salivating and craving a spaghetti squash like nothing ever had. It was intense. And I’m pretty sure I watched the tv screen the entire time looking like this…

But, ya know, only human.

The thing has been on my mind ever since that night, and tonight was the night for my attempt to recreate it! I got some notes ready…

I got my veggies prepped…

And I got to work!

First, I started by boiling my spaghetti squash for about 10-15 minutes.

While the squash was cooking, I began sautéing up my veggies. I tried to remember most of the veggies that were in the recipe that I saw, but really, anything would work for this. It’s so versatile!

The garlic and onion went first, cooked up in a little extra virgin olive oil.

Then I just started adding the veggies a few at a time. First went the celery, carrots, & peppers, along with 2 slices of turkey bacon that I was graciously given as leftovers from last night’s dinner.

Then went in the zucchini & yellow squash.

Next, I realized I had a small container of Italian-style diced tomatoes leftover in the fridge from last week. So they went in too.

Last went the spinach, since that doesn’t take too long to cook.

I let the veggies cook away for a few minutes while I got to work on the cooked squash.

Once it was cool enough to handle, I grabbed my fork and went to town. What is it about spaghetti squash that is so fun??

IMG_2500IMG_2501

After the squash was in the bowl, I added in my sautéed veggies,

followed by some bread crumbs,

then some extra marinara sauce,

and a little Chavrie goat cheese. Why not, right?

Once it was all mixed up, I stuffed it right back into the empty spaghetti squash halves,

IMG_2506IMG_2508

added a little extra marinara, reduced-fat mozzarella, & a sprinkle of parmesan cheese,

IMG_2509IMG_2510

and popped it in the oven to let the cheese melt. I never set a timer, and pretty much just eye-balled it, but I’d say it was in there for probably about 8-10 minutes.

I couldn’t take the wait any longer, so I immediately plated one and dug right in.

Seriously, just check out that cheese!

Despite the fact that I was eating alone, I’m pretty sure I pronounced my love for this dish, out loud, more than half a dozen times. Easily.

IMG_2522IMG_2525

I think Cody was even a little jealous…

Either that, or he was thoroughly impressed with my record time in demolishing the entire plate.

We’ll have to see how my stomach feels later after eating all those veggies. Oooof.

And I’m not going to lie. I was a little more than excited when hubby announced that he would not be interested in partaking in tonight’s dish. Spaghetti squash “weirds him out.” Hey, whatever…more leftovers for meeeee! The best part is, I could eat that entire half totally guilt-free, since it’s basically just loads of veggies and a little cheese. YUM!

For dessert, I plan on sinking my teeth into this little treat. I’ve been holding off all day on eating it. THAT my friends,

is a milk chocolate-covered Oreo. Thank youuuuu Easter Bunny!

Question for the Evening:

Do you watch the Food Network? What’s your favorite show?

Comments

Oh man this looks SO good. I love that show but I’ve never seen anything nearly as healthy on there as stuffed spaghetti squash, haha too bad I missed this episode! I’m a TOTAL Food Network junkie. The shows I love most are Barefoot Contessa, Aarti Party, Throwdown with Bobby Flay, and Giada at Home!
    Lauren recently posted..Easter Brunch

2. Shayla says

Ooooo that looks so good! I must try that! And I love love Food Network! My fav shows are Best Thing I Ever Ate, Giada At Home, Barefoot Contessa, and Next Food Network Star!! :)

I looove spaghetti squash! I always mix it with veggies and cheese like that, but never thought to stuff it all back in and bake it! Genius! I held off all day for my Easter treat too, in my attempt to pace myself at one Easter treat a day until they disappear! lol

wow. i have only made spaghetti squash once in my life, and it didn’t look nearly as delicious as that!!! i must try it and give spaghetti squash another try!!!

i love food network, i had to stop watching because once i start, i’ll sit there all day. i was obsessed w/30min meals, giada, paula deen and ina garten.

The irony of this post, I just had spaghetti squash for dinner! I loaded it up with veggies, added chicken and layered on some Alfredo sauce with Parmesan cheese :) I love your idea though, gonna test this out soon.
    And I am obsessed with the Food Network, I pretty much spend my TV time between that and Bravo lol :D

Thanks for sharing! It looks delicious! I have a spaghetti squash in my pantry that I was just thinking of baking with some marinara sauce, but your recipe sounds much better! My husband won’t eat it either! He is also weirded out by it. lol Oh well, more for me! :-)

I lovelovelove the Food Network. I could watch it all day, and back when I had cable, it would always be running in the background.

That squash looks amazing! So so cheesy. I think I’d probably prefer your healthier version to the actual diner’s version, though. Who knows what crazy stuff they really put in it :P
    Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Sweet Signs of Summer

I saw this last night and had to come back and A) bookmark for when I’m not dieting and B) comment saying you totally MADE my night when I saw this!!!
    Becca recently posted..Easter Eggs

9. Nicole says

It is so funny that you made that bc I watched that episode of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives also and wanted to make it immediately!!! Looks delish! I attempted spaghetti squash for the first time last weekend and wasn’t too successful, so I’ll have to try again!

I am such a big fan of “stuffing stuff”. I think I’ve stuffed every kind of squash imaginable, but can’t say I’ve ever stuffed a spaghetti squash. Looks divine! And speaking of Guy Fieri, his show came to a town just 45 mins away from my house last summer, but I was working, so I couldn’t go :-(

Looks delicious, but would taste a lot better if you roasted the spaghetti squash instead of boiling out all the nutrients and flavor. Also if you cut it the other direction (the short way around) you will get the really long strands of spaghetti that is more like spaghetti noodles, cause that’s the way it is on the inside, it also comes out easier that way too.

12. Stacey says

I just made this for dinner, but with acorn squash from our farm Co=op instead of spaghetti squash, so delicious!! I love a veggie packed meal!

13. Nicole says

This looks delish! If you were to add a protein to this, what do you think would work best? Pre-cooked chicken breast? Ground turkey?

Thanks!

14. Carole Crawford says

I HAPPEN to have a spaghetti squash in my fridge right now. I loaded it up with veggies, added chicken and layered on some Alfredo sauce with Parmesan cheese I love your idea though, gonna test this out soon. I attempted spaghetti squash for the first time last weekend and wasn’t too successful, so I’ll have to try again! Love the Food Network.
    Carole Crawford recently posted..Gout Tips

15. Bill says

Great recipe.
    I changed it up a bit with fresh cilantro (no fresh basil available) and added a tiny bit of chicken stock (vegie stock works too) to give it a bit more richness. I also used Japanese Panko breadcrumbs as they have a nicer texture and consistency.

Left out the Chavrie ‘ too expensive here … 1 little piece was 10.00 so passed on that and did not seem to make a difference.

Substituted fresh mozzarella for Romano and put it on in thick strips and at the end of the bake cycle I put the broiler on for 4 or 5 minutes to really brown it looked like the top of a nice cheese pizza when done. I split the 1/2 between two of us and it was enough in itself for a meal (it was a big squash)

Will do this again in a heartbeat…. I am on Atkins for the most part but this is very forgiving and the carb content is not worth worrying about for such a great taste.

I absolutely love this type of squash! I’ve never boiled it, I always cut it an half then roast it in the oven. Definitely going to have to make this!!!

17. Stacey says

Just got done w this yummy meal!!! Stuffed w veggies! So filling and do guilt free!!! I subbed daiya cheese ….. Yum!

18. Debora Thompson says

THANK YOU!!!!!
    I too was fixated on this episode and finally HUNTED down the squash this week only to find the episode of DDD was deleted from my DVR. I have been online now for hours looking and began cracking up reading your intro to your recipe. Now, off to the store!! Forgot about the carrots and red onion!!!!
    Thanks again!

19. Michelle says

I made this 2 nights ago and it was so good. I added about half a bag of morning star chik’n strips. I was a little overzealous while forking my squash and poked through the skin, so I mixed all the ingredients together and then put it in a baking dish before topping it with cheese and putting it in the oven. Thanks so much. I will definitely make this again, as even my squash hating husband liked it. :)

20. Alicia says

This was amazing! I made it tonight for dinner with slight variations, but so delish! My 3 year old even loved it. Great way to get in veggies! Thanks for the recipe and for sharing!

21. Amy Risner says

Courtney, I made your stuffed spaghetti squash tonight for dinner…one word: AMAZING!! I had 1 half and it was was soooo much food that I had to stop and take a break! It was super yummy! I’ll be having the other half tomorrow for lunch! Thanks for the great recipe and fulfilling two meals for me!!

22. Eric says

I made this the other night for myself and my friend thinking it would be pretty tasty. Little did I know this recipe was going to be so amazing. It blew my mind a little bit just how tasty this was. Great way to make a spaghetti squash!

Trackbacks

1. […] to play around with for the rest of the day so I still need to decide dinner.   I want to try Sweet Tooth Sweet Life’s Spaghetti Squash recipe soon, that looks amazing !   I know manfriend will want to grill tonight though, must find something […]

2. […] already fantasizing about leaving work so I can go home and make this fab looking recipe from Sweet Tooth Sweet Life for stuffed spaghetti squash.   Yum!   Can’t wait!!  I think we’re going to throw in a little bit of chicken […]