Jelly Filled Doughnut Cupcakes

Okay, so you all know I’m kind of in love with cupcakes. I love baking them…and I love eating them.

Another favorite of mine? Doughnuts. Granted, they aren’t exactly the healthiest option out there, so I try to enjoy them sparingly. However, something about making a cupcake into a doughnut just made them seem less “bad.”

Why? I don’t know. That’s just what I tell myself.

These cupcakes are definitely unique. They have the feel of a cupcake, but the subtle taste of a moist, fluffy fresh doughnut. Although I chose to fill mine with a simple strawberry jelly, there’s really no limits as to what you could fill yours with…

Think lemon, raspberry, blackberry…Boston cream filling?? Oh myyy.

Technically, since they are a “doughnut,” you could justify eating them as an indulgent breakfast treat, too. Just round it out with some fresh fruit…I mean, this is a healthy living blog, right?

In a medium bowl, mix together your flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside…you’ll be back in just a little while for it.

Then, beat your butter until it’s nice and fluffy.

Next, add your granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla.

Once combined, add your eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Next, alternately add your flour mixture with your milk

Once combined, spoon batter into muffin cups, filling about two-thirds full. Bake ‘em up for 15-18 minutes, then be sure to let them cool in their pan for about 5 more minutes before moving them to a wire rack.

After the cupcakes are completely cooled, it’s time to fill ‘em up! Grab your pastry bag, fitted with a small round tip, and fill ‘er up with your filling of choice.

Shove that bad boy right down in there and keep on squeezing until you start to see some jelly on top.

Finally, dust your finished product with some powdered sugar, and you are good to go!

Question for the Evening:

What’s your favorite type of doughnut?

If we’re talkin’ specific, there’s nothing like a Blueberry Cake doughnut from Dunkin Donuts. But in general, I’d have to say I’m a simple glazed fan. Smile

Confession: I don’t really like doughnuts. Just not my thing! The only exception is warm cinnamon sugar doughnuts fresh from the cider mill on a fall day!

I do love this idea, though! Perhaps in cupcake form, I could be persuaded! :)
    Melissa recently posted..Dollar Store with Dr Oz

What a nice jelly filled surprise. I’ve never really liked the cream filled donuts but I would love it in a cupcake 😀
    When it comes to doughnuts I’m like a 5 yr old. I like it frosted with a vanilla glaze and sprinkles on top 😛

3. Jen says

mmmm, these look yummy! I like maple bars and the ones just like them that are chocolate instead of maple (long johns or something like that?!?), plus apple fritters because my dad always loved them and I just wound up liking them too. we have a doughnut place out here that has really fun donuts, Voodoo Doughnuts, it’s a dangerous place to be near on a late weekend night after a few drinks! 😉 AND they’re open 24/7, ahhh!!

4. Jessie Gipe says

hey girl, I sent you an e-mail but totally forgot to write something in the “subject” box. just wanted to make sure ya got it and it didn’t go into spam :) btw, these cupcakes/doughnuts look fabulous!

5. Meg L. says

MMmmmm boston creme from dunkin donuts. I don’t live anywhere near a dunkin anymore and it breaks my heart!

Oh myyyy. I wish I could jump into the screen and eat these. I totally agree about the muffin form making donuts healthier. I mean, this way they are not fried. That is an improvement right? I love filling things with jam. Yum. Fave donut? Obvi I must refer to DD and I’m going to go with the classic chocolate cake, preferably in Munchkin form so I can eat more. PS my Twitter feed told me that Dunkin is going to have a royal wedding donut. I am totally using that as an excuse to get a donut with my morning coffee.
    Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy Living Girl” recently posted..Runner’s Block in Gotham City and Sick Days

I actually love a plain cake donut. The texture is awesome, and the flavors are so simple. And I’m not a huge fan of TOO sweet, so it’s perfect.

But I would eat your jelly doughnut cupcakes, since I know you baked them :)

8. Jennie Day says

I need to add this to my recipe bucket list fo sho! Those doughnuts look amazing! I’m not a huge donut fan, but Dunkin Donuts chocolate munchkins are fabulous!
    Jennie Day recently posted..Cancer Tips