A Long Time In The Making

by Courtney on April 27, 2011

Three months, two days, one hour, fifty-seven minutes…

Not that I’m counting or anything.

It’s been a long time in the making. A long time.

But as of this morning, I am thrilled to announce…

OIAJ are BACK!

Wahooo!! C’mon, let’s all do the happy dance, shall we??

source

Ever since finding out that I have a slight food allergy to oats, I have not once touched a bowl of oats. Not overnight, or in a jar, or even off the stovetop. Thankfully, I was lucky enough to find a fantastic replacement and was able to keep my sanity. But it still just wasn’t the same…

The more I thought about it, it’s not like I haven’t been eating oats at all. I eat them in granola, I bake with them in quick breads, and I devour them in oatmeal raisin chocolate chunk cookies. I could never banish them forever! And to be honest, I really didn’t notice much of a difference in how I’ve been feeling anyways.

So when the oats and I were reunited this morning for breakfast, it was pure bliss. And on top of all that, this was the first time I’ve had my OIAJ with chia seeds added to the mix. Talk about a #winning combo.

It’s pretty likely I’ll be on Cloud 9 all day now.

AND doing that happy dance. Winking smile

Question for the Morning:

Have you ever eliminated a food/food group/etc and ended up bringing it back?

1 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) April 27, 2011 at 9:26 am

YAAAY for OIAJ!! :D Haha that happy dance cat is hilarious!!

Yes, I’m actually gluten+soy intolerent, but when I went vegan, I just found it too hard to eliminate all those foods, so I now eat gluten and soy. I do have the side-effects, but at the moment it’s worth it for me! :)
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Featured Athlete- Allison from Runs A Latte!!

2 Char April 27, 2011 at 9:26 am

I try to keep dairy and bread products low on my “to eat” list just because I’d rather cutback on them if I can!
Char recently posted..lentil lovin’

3 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet April 27, 2011 at 9:27 am

Bahaha that happy dance definitely perked up my day :)

I tried to go gluten-free at one point, since I thought it was making me bloated, but I love regular breads too much, so it didn’t last too long. It’s worth it anyway!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..What Schedule

4 Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries April 27, 2011 at 9:27 am

I gave up *gasp* peanut butter for a loooong time! I kept getting weird rashes on my body and at the time I was eating tons of peanut butter so I assumed that is what it was. Then, one day I decided to eat peanut butter because I couldn’t take it anymore and I was fine! So ever since then I’ve been eating it and I’ve been OK.

I cannot believe I gave up PB for so long :) Glad to hear you are able to eat oats now! Dropping a fav. food is tough
Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries recently posted..The Darkest Hour is Just Before Dawn

5 Courtney April 27, 2011 at 9:28 am

WOW, no PB?!?! That must have been tough…glad to see it’s back! ;)

6 Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle April 27, 2011 at 9:28 am

I eliminated dairy for a few weeks (to test if it was what was giving me digestive issues) but have since brought it back just in the form of baked goods and cheese…lots and lots of cheese. It was the longest two weeks of my life.

7 Brittney April 27, 2011 at 9:30 am

I’ve been lucky to not have to eliminate any foods. Glad to see you reunited with oats! Love the kitty happy dancing!
Brittney recently posted..A Houston Adventure

8 Katy @ A Healthy Shot of Life April 27, 2011 at 9:32 am

Mmm they look awesome! I haven’t had OIAJ for awhile… I kind of wore them out a few months ago and haven’t been able to stomach them since ;-) I tried to cut out dairy because it bothers my stomach in large amounts, but I haven’t been able to stay away from it. Now I just try to enjoy it in moderation.

9 Lauren April 27, 2011 at 9:45 am

When I found out I was lactose intolerant in high school, I gave up dairy products for 3 years. Unfortunately, I love them too much to give them up for forever, so I have had to learn to live with my allergy.
Lauren recently posted..Happy Easter Herb Roasted Garbanzo Beans with Gorgonzola

10 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl April 27, 2011 at 9:50 am

hehe. love the dancing cat. It made me smile :-) Isn’t it funny how the little things make a girl’s day so much better – like dancing cat’s and oats! I would really miss oats if I cut them out. That is for sure! About 4 years ago, when I ran in my first marathon, my stomach was a little wack so I tried cutting out all fiber. It was a baaaad idea and I quickly went back to it. I just can’t survive on only carbs (even though I’d love to – give me bagels and muffins for every meal and I’m one happy person).
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Chicken Soup for a Sometimes Healthy Soul

11 Melissa April 27, 2011 at 9:51 am

When I was first diagnosed with IBS, I had to cut out all dairy. It didn’t help AT ALL so I just went back to eating it occasionally. My stomach is so funny. I could eat the same exact thing every single day; one day, it would be fine, the next, a total mess. Boo. :(

12 Courtney April 27, 2011 at 10:21 am

Me too, girl, ME TOO!

13 Melissa April 27, 2011 at 10:32 am

Good to know I’m not the only one! :)

14 Cynthia (It All Changes) April 27, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I’m exactly the same. It’s a mixed bag for most things.
Cynthia (It All Changes) recently posted..Easter Breakfast Bake- Recipe

15 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries April 27, 2011 at 9:55 am

We’re breakfast twins! Oh, how I love OIAJ :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..To Assume

16 Khushboo April 27, 2011 at 9:58 am

Woo! Life without oats is just sad! I gave up bread for ages but like you didn’t notice any difference so brought it back in my life- yeah I was kinda crazy!
Khushboo recently posted..Rock-bottom motivation

17 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 27, 2011 at 10:04 am

I haven’t OAIJ in forever…mainly because I always forget to make them the night before! Glad your reunion was delicious! :)

18 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) April 27, 2011 at 10:17 am

I had some overnight oats today too :D Glad you savored every bite, idk what I’d do without my beloved oats! I have pretty awful IBS and I thought it was dairy for some time so I temporarily cut out all dairy and although being without milk was ok it was the yogurt and lack of cottage cheese that really sucked. Glad to know I’m not lactose intolerant lol

19 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] April 27, 2011 at 11:34 am

OIAJ definitely deserve a happy dance!
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..recipe for a happy morning

20 Charlie April 27, 2011 at 11:41 am

I found spelt and kamut flakes at the store. They look exactly like rolled oats. Maybe you could try that to replace them!
Charlie recently posted..Want Some Granola

21 Kelly April 27, 2011 at 11:43 am

YAY!!! I am so glad you got to bring the oats back!!
Kelly recently posted..love and kisses

22 Yena Hu April 27, 2011 at 11:43 am

HAHAH that cat cheered up my morning :) yay for oats!
Yena Hu recently posted..Weekend Eats

23 Chelsa April 27, 2011 at 4:39 pm

yummy peanut butter. I ordered that pb2 after you posted it but hasn’t come yet.
Chelsa recently posted..Dog Walk and Beating The Bloat

24 amy April 27, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I gave up dairy due to lactose intolerance but have added greek yogurt back in and I’m fine with that but I have given up gluten and feel alot better. No more bloating, gassiness or constipation.

25 Cynthia (It All Changes) April 27, 2011 at 7:09 pm

I eliminated all dairy for lactose intolerance but found that sheep and goat dairy don’t have a real effect on me. So bring on the feta and manchego!
Cynthia (It All Changes) recently posted..Easter Breakfast Bake- Recipe

26 Ally (oatsandspice) April 27, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Haha the dancing cat is hilarious! The OIAJ looks divineeee :)
Ally (oatsandspice) recently posted..Baked… Not Fried

27 Kristi April 28, 2011 at 4:25 am

Hahaha… love the dancing cat.
Kristi recently posted..Give Me a Cookie