As Long As I Finish

by Courtney on April 29, 2011

So…tomorrow I have a 10K race to run.

I have never attempted 6.4 miles in my life.

I just figured out where the race actually IS.

And up until today, I hadn’t gone for a run outside since November.

Talk about being prepared, right? Or waiting ‘til the last minute… Sheesh!

I wasn’t sure whether or not I should run today, but seeing as though I hadn’t trekked it outside in, oh, 5 months, I figured it’d be worth my while. Shortly before heading out I snacked on a Clif Z Bar.

I figured a quick 3 miles would be good for today, hoping that it would at least get me feeling a little better about tomorrow. But damn that was one hard run!

All I’ll say is…

• It’s a good thing I’m running for fun, not for time.
  • Thank god I’m running with some awesome friends to keep me company!

As long as I finish the race, I’ll be a happy camper! Open-mouthed smile

**********

Shortly after running and stretching for about 10 minutes, I showered it up and made some lunch.

A pretty darn fantastic salad comprised of romaine, spinach, cukes, grape tomatoes, carrots, celery, red onion, dried cranberries, fat-free cottage cheese, a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette, and some Fresh Market croutons. Yummers.

After lunch I had a few errands to do, but before getting started, I stopped for an iced coffee from Flavour. Because running errands with iced coffee is an absolute necessity. Especially when your “frequent buyer” card is filled up and it’s FREE. Smile

If you happened to be a little observant today, then you probably noticed that this is not my usual car. No, my friends, I am currently toolin’ around in my dad’s beloved corvette! My dad is out of town for the weekend, and while I was over at their house yesterday, he goes “So, you wanna drive the corvette for a couple days?”

Ummm, oh gosh, let me think about….YES!

I’m not gonna lie…it’s a little intimidating when this thing powers up. And I’m certainly not used to a speedometer that reaches 200. Woah.

But I also can’t lie and say I don’t feel pretty bad-ass drivin’ around in this baby. Hopefully tomorrow, Jay and I will be able to cruise around with the top down. Hot smile

So anyways…once I got the coffee, I got to work on my errands.

Nutella Chocolate Chip cookies were shipped out for the lovely Julie, who won them in Heather’s bake sale.

And I also picked up my race packet for tomorrow. Oh boy!

Sure enough it didn’t take long…

…for the Codester to come and scope out the new goods.

Maybe I’ll just attach my race bib around Cody and bring him to the race tomorrow? Winking smile

*********

Jay’s working a little late tonight, and I was hungry early, so I made myself a quick and easy dinner.

Some fresh cantaloupe, which is super sweet and juicy. I love it.

Along with a grilled turkey, provolone, and tomato sandwich with mustard.

It hit the spot, but I’m sure since I ate so early that I’ll be in need of something a little later…

We currently have Edy’s Slow Churned vanilla ice cream in my freezer.

‘Nuff said. Winking smile

**********

I’ll be up bright and early for tomorrow’s race, so tonight’s going to be pretty low key. Ohh boy…wish me luck!

I’ll be sure to give ya’ll the recap tomorrow!

Question for the Evening:

If you’re a runner…do you prefer to run indoors or outdoors?

AAAAND, any tips for tomorrow would be super duper awesome.

1 Victoria (District Chocoholic) April 29, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Have a great run! A wonderful way to pace a race is to go easy the first 1/4, build the middle 1/2 and give what you’ve got left for the last 1/4.

2 Courtney April 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Great tip! Thanks, Victoria!

3 Mandee April 29, 2011 at 7:21 pm

that sandwich looks super yum! good luck on the race! cody can go and be your mascot… just have some plastic milk jug tabs at the finish line and he’ll be right there hahahaha.
Mandee recently posted..What says BIRTHDAY more than pink velvet cupcakes and confetti sprinkles! Nada!

4 Courtney April 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Hahahaha…I love that you remember that :)

5 Chelsea April 29, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I bet you will do will so great!! Have fun do your best and forget the rest :)
Chelsea recently posted..Thai Wraps and Sticky Rice

6 Katy (The Singing Runner) April 29, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I prefer to run outdoors…yes it’s HOT in Florida, but I love being outside!

Relax and just have fun! The 10K and Half-Marathon distances are my favorite! :D
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Here- There and Everywhere

7 Amanda April 29, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Have fun tomorrow! Definitely try to tune out the others around you and set your own pace. It’s easy to be influenced by faster runners around you and start out too fast bc you are excited!!

8 Kate Gifford April 29, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Good luck tomorrow! I have just recently started running and my goal is a 5K. I’m sure you will do great!!

9 Kristi April 29, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Good luck tomorrow!
Kristi recently posted..I have a secret

10 Shannon April 29, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I’ll be there tomorrow! I haven’t done a 10k race since last October… Yikes!

Good luck, and remember- it’s only 6.2, and you’ll feel great when you finish!

11 jen April 29, 2011 at 8:50 pm

i cannot wait to run/party with you tomorrow! you will definitely finish!
jen recently posted..Three Things Thursday

12 Heather T April 29, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Good luck at the race tomorrow!!

13 Samantha April 29, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Good luck tomorrow! I am a runner (new blogger, just started…) and I love races! I saw a comment above that said start easy, build, and then finish with a kick. ABSOLUTELY do that!! Always finish with a kick, you’ll feel so great that you gave it your all.

I totally prefer running outside to inside. I had to use the treadmill for the first time since February last night, it was not fun!
Samantha recently posted..A Lesson Learned

14 Bethany April 29, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Good luck! I’m actually running my first 5k tomorrow, so I know how you feel right now!!! I will have you in my thoughts tomorrow :) You’ll do GREAT.

15 Whitney :) April 29, 2011 at 9:11 pm

10k is 6.2, not 6.4!! lol I love racing and my advice would be to not start out too fast because it’s very easy to get caught up in the excitement! Have fun! :)

16 Alyssa Kuminski April 29, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Good luck on your race!!! I’ve never attempted 6.4 miles either.
Alyssa Kuminski recently posted..WiNNiNG

17 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet April 29, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Good luck tomorrow! I’m sure that the adrenaline of race day will pull you through :)

If not, I’m sure you could put Cody in the bib and dangle some plastic bottle-tops in front of him. He’ll be sure to run all day!

I prefer to run outdoors when the weather is nice. Otherwise, it’s miserable…
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Sandwichy Day

18 Kate Horning April 29, 2011 at 10:15 pm

good luck tomorrow youll do great!! cant wait to hear about it :)
Kate Horning recently posted..Rainy Saturday

19 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" April 29, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Good luck tomorrow! Be confident – the adrenaline will carry you through to the finish :-) Even if you haven’t run the distance before, it will just come natural – I promise!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy Living Girl” recently posted..Friday Flaw-Day- The Home Edition

20 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy April 29, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Three years ago, I ran a 10K with pretty much no training, on Thanksgiving Day (it was cold)… and it was snowing. If I made it through, so can you :). I ran with my dad, so that kept me motivated…having other people to push you along should be helpful!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..A mother’s love and an open heart

21 Caitlin @ Southern Curls & Pearls April 29, 2011 at 11:02 pm

The cantaloupe looks so fresh and juicy! It makes me want some!!
Good luck with your 10k tomorrow! You can do it :)
Caitlin @ Southern Curls & Pearls recently posted..Hats On to the Princess

22 Heidi April 29, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Good luck on your 10K race tomorrow! I’ve only run 5K’s so far, but I’m anxious to try a 10K in the future. I’ll be anxious to hear about your post race thoughts.

23 Khushboo April 30, 2011 at 12:41 am

Good luck! I’m sure you will kick ass and like you said, finishing is all the matters…walk breaks are ok too! Although I prefer running when weather permits (not too hot/cold), I do also enjoy the treadmill- those intervals make the time fly by!
Khushboo recently posted..Rock-bottom motivation

24 Danica April 30, 2011 at 1:29 am

Good luck with your 10k tomorrow! You’ll do great!

25 Pamela Rich April 30, 2011 at 6:34 am

I just found your blog and love it! I especially love seeing your pictures of Cody- he looks so similar to my cat, Gilligan :) Good luck in your race. I’m sure you’ll do wonderfully!
Pamela Rich recently posted..Face First

26 colleen @ thegiftofmondays April 30, 2011 at 8:39 am

how exciting!!! and scary but i know you’ll have a great story to tell us later today when it’s all over. i like to run and though i usually run on the treadmill for convenience (and the fact that it’s been cold and i HATE to run in the cold!), i really do prefer to run outside. it seems the time goes by quicker and is easier on my feet?? can’t wait to hear your story!!!

27 Sarah Elizabeth April 30, 2011 at 9:50 am

Good luck, Courtney! You’ll be great! :)

28 Melissa April 30, 2011 at 10:17 am

Sorry I didn’t see this last night–I have tons of tips! :) Hope it went well! I’m sure you were great!!!
Melissa recently posted..Dollar Store with Dr Oz

29 ellalinea April 30, 2011 at 10:59 am

good luck with the race!!:)

30 Julie @SavvyEats May 1, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Hoooooooray cookies! So excited to get them, and i bet you rocked the race!
Julie @SavvyEats recently posted..Garlic Gold All-Stars

31 daigoumee May 3, 2011 at 7:28 pm

found your site on del.icio.us today and really liked it.. i bookmarked it and will be back to check it out some more later