Birthdays and Date Night

by Courtney on May 1, 2011

Happy May everyone! Is anyone else amazed at the fact that it’s already May? Wow!

Well, I was completely go-go-go all day yesterday, but before I continue, let me just give a big ‘ol thank you to everyone for your “good luck” and “congrats” comments, tweets, and messages on yesterday’s race. You were all so encouraging and totally made me feel like a rock star!

Birthday Celebrations

Yesterday afternoon, I headed out to the beautiful Washington Park in Albany to meet up with this great group of gals.

Everyone brought some food to share because, well, we love food and that’s how we roll.

Heather even cut the cheese… (<—pun most definitely intended there) Winking smile

The main reason we were all there was to celebrate Jen & Heather’s Birthdays (Heather’s was Thursday, Jen’s is Monday) so of course we had birthday cake.

And quite possibly my favorite snack at the party…cupcakes!

Since I knew that Jay and I were heading out to dinner shortly after the party, I tried to keep my snacking to a minimum. But really, how could I pass up one of those???

I nabbed the Strawberries & Champagne cupcake which was pretty good and made me very happy.

But dare I say there was actually almost too much alcohol flavor in the frosting? I guess maybe I’ll just have to try to recreate it myself…

********

Date Night

After a couple hours, I said my goodbyes and headed back home to see Jay. I was over-the-moon excited to finally have a Date Night, and better yet…we were ridin’ in style! Winking smile

We headed up to one of our favorite restaurants in Saratoga, the Olde Bryan Inn. There was a bit of a wait when we got there, but we actually enjoy when there’s a wait so we can sit at the bar and enjoy a cocktail.

Thankfully, there were two seats with our names on ‘em, so I settled in an ordered a glass of Pinot Grigio. While we were sitting, I also snacked on some of those Saratoga Chips you see in the basket back there. They are probably my favorite chips ever.

Eventually by the time we got a table, I was one glass of wine deep and feeling its effects more than usual. Wheeeee! So when our waitress brought us a couple fresh rolls, I dug right in.

Then I realized that I was so engrossed in my delicious roll, that I was totally ignoring my lovely date. Woops. Hiiii Jay!

Hiiii Courtney!

For dinner, I was going back and forth with a few things on the menu (no surprise there) but decided to go with the Pecan Encrusted Salmon Salad.

Since I don’t normally cook salmon at home, it’s nice to get it out once in a while. No sense in ordering something I can make myself!

The salmon was cooked absolutely perfect, and the flavor of the pecans encrusted on it was fantastic. Also fantastic was this homemade pumpkin muffin…YUM

By the time we got home last night, I was completely wiped. Between my early morning, running the race, being on the go all day long, and the wine I had at dinner, I was more than ready for bed. I think I was probably asleep before my head even hit the pillow, which was before 10pm.

I woke up this morning feeling much more refreshed; however, my hips and calves are screeeeeaming at me. Grrrrr. Hopefully some stretching and ice will work that out a bit.

Time to go find something for breakfast!

Question for the Day:

What’s one of your favorite restaurants?

1 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 1, 2011 at 9:36 am

What a great foodie day :D

I definitely encourage you to recreate those cupcakes. But those little flower petals were so cute.

Mmm salmon and pumpkin muffin…
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Sandwichy Day

2 Khushboo May 1, 2011 at 10:54 am

A restaurant in London called Sumo San- quite pricey but absolutely phenomenal Japanese food. My mouth waters just thinking about it!
Khushboo recently posted..Rock-bottom motivation

3 kate@ahealthypassion May 1, 2011 at 11:01 am

What a fun little birthday party, I loveeee champagne cupcakes they are so romantic and pretty! Looks like you had a great date night, its amazing how just labeling a night as date night can make it all that much more special :)

4 Alyssa Kuminski May 1, 2011 at 11:04 am

Awesome day!! I think you deserved all of that yummy food with your awesome 10k run!

My favorite restaurant is a place I rarely go – Sakura – Japanese steakhouse! It’s filled with butter and it always upsets my tummy but I like to go there on my birthday :)
Alyssa Kuminski recently posted..WiNNiNG

5 CaSaundra May 1, 2011 at 11:32 am

Wow–looks like a super fun day! And I have been surprised by the cupcake shop cupcakes I’ve tried..alot of them aren’t too impressive!

6 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) May 1, 2011 at 12:18 pm

It’s so easy to go overboard when you’re flavoring frostings with alcohol – I’ve made a blackberry champagne frosting a few times before, and have figured out over time that you only need a couple tablespoons of the bubbly! :)
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Easter S’mores

7 Kimberley May 1, 2011 at 1:07 pm

What an awesome date night, those cupcakes are seriously toooo cute!

Pumpkin muffin + salmon together, who would have thought!
Love the car ;)
Kimberley recently posted..Lifes Simple Pleasures

8 Melissa May 1, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I am amazed at how much you did yesterday! After races, I am typically pretty useless.

I love ordering things when I’m out that I can’t/don’t make at home. I have a thing about never ordering chicken . . . I always think I could just make that myself!
Melissa recently posted..Dollar Store with Dr Oz

9 Jordan May 1, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Um I think every salad should come with a homemade pumpkin muffin. That looks incredible!
Any restaurant that serves amazing breakfast food is on my list of favorites! I could eat breakfast ALL DAY LONG. :)
Jordan recently posted..The Triple By Pass

10 Lauren @ Hungry Dancer May 1, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Looks like so much fun!! Date nights are the best!!
Lauren @ Hungry Dancer recently posted..Emerald Ball 2011

11 Cynthia (It All Changes) May 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm

My favorite restaurant locally is New World Bistro hands down. The food and service are fantastic.

My ultimate favorite is a cute little place in Spain called Papasa that serves baked potatoes they top with EVERYTHING. So many combinations. I never had the same twice and it has cute little tables on the street looking at the river.
Cynthia (It All Changes) recently posted..Must Do Daily

12 Ally (oatsandspice) May 1, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Looks like you had a super fun date night! I love how your salad came with a pumpkin muffin – what a delicious surprise!
Ally (oatsandspice) recently posted..Pictures Say 1000 Words

13 fsugirl! May 1, 2011 at 4:49 pm

You look so pretty!! I would’ve been DEAD after that race! :D

14 Alexa @ SimpleEats May 1, 2011 at 6:25 pm

That pumpkin muffin looks delish. And you could totally top that strawberry cupcake with your own version ;)
Alexa @ SimpleEats recently posted..Extra Dark

15 Laura May 1, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I love when you write about Saratoga restaurants! My husband went to school up at Skidmore, and he then lived downtown for a bit after. These restaurant reviews bring me back to our early years of dating! We keep saying we need to get back up there sometime. Date nights are great, and we are in need of one soon!
Laura recently posted..Lemon Kale Pasta

16 Chelsea May 1, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Sounds like a great day!! You must try to make Strawberry and Champagne cupcakes! I know you’d make some great ones.
Chelsea recently posted..Busy Weekend!

17 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) May 1, 2011 at 9:34 pm

What a great date night, the pumpkin muffin looks delicious :)

18 Heather May 2, 2011 at 9:19 am

thanks for making our birthdays so special, doll face! :)
Heather recently posted..Insomnia

19 Courtney May 2, 2011 at 9:33 am

You betcha!! :-D

20 Kristen May 3, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I LOVVEEE birthdays in the park. Mine is in july and I love being outside!

21 Emily @ Relishments May 3, 2011 at 7:55 pm

It was so great to see you this weekend! We’ll have to do it again soon :)
Emily @ Relishments recently posted..Goals in Progress- April