Double Excited

by Courtney on May 4, 2011

I really don’t know what I am more excited about right now…tonight’s dinner, or what tonight’s dinner was served in.

Is this not the cutest soup and sandwich set ever??

Ok, let’s just say I’m double excited.

I actually ordered this Temp-tations Polka Dot Soup & Sandwich Set from QVC a few weeks ago, but when it came originally, they had sent me the wrong color. Total bummer.

Within a few days, it was re-shipped in the correct color, but I’ve been waiting for a good opportunity to break ‘em in; and since it’s been such a damp and gloomy day today, I figured it was time to make it happen.

I whipped up another quick (and rather spicy!) batch of White Chicken Chili, which I topped off with a little colby jack cheese and a dollop of plain Chobani.

I’m so glad I found this stuff…it’s seriously awesome.

But as good as the chili was, my favorite component of tonight’s dinner was the cornbread. Oh my god the cornbread.

As you guys know, I often try to “healthify” as many of my baked goods as I can, and while I don’t mind the subtle changes it can sometimes cause in taste and/or texture, Jay is not always such a fan.

So in an attempt to please his picky palate, I baked up this recipe, only doing one switch-a-roo with 1/4 egg substitute for the egg. I also drizzled a little honey along the top which was definitely a smart move. This stuff was flippin’ fantastic.

And now, even though I’m pretty full from this dinner, I can almost guarantee I’ll be sneaking back out into the kitchen for another piece while watching a little Modern Family tonight.

Just don’t tell anyone, k?

Question for the Evening:

What’s your favorite healthy substitute when cooking and/or baking?

1 steph May 4, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I like substituting apple sauce for oil. I feel like it makes the baked goods so moist, and healthier! YUM!

2 Victoria (District Chocoholic) May 4, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Egg whites for eggs. It’s barely noticeable. Also lowfat yogurt for some butter, it results in a denser cake texture.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Dilettante- Coffee-Flavored Truffle Creams

3 Farrah May 4, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I LOVE to pull the good ol’ switcheroo in recipes to make them healthier. I am known for swapping out oil for unsweetened applesauce, egg beaters for eggs, pumpkin puree for oil and/or oil, agave nectar for sugar. Those are my baking standard swaps. I get crazy with the swaps for other foods. I actually think it is a lot of fun and a great challenge to make healthy versions of meals. :)
Farrah recently posted..Smores Truffles

4 Farrah May 4, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Make that *oil and/or butter* lol
Farrah recently posted..Smores Truffles

5 Holly May 4, 2011 at 8:27 pm

That chilli is GOOD! I need to make it again- so good & so quick- best kind of meal ;)
Holly recently posted..Not So Top Ten

6 Lauren May 4, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I’m definitely going to try that White Chicken Chili! I love McCormick products!

7 Lauren May 4, 2011 at 8:35 pm

McCormick has the best marinades!
Lauren recently posted..Eat Your Margarita – Margarita Cupcakes!

8 Kelly May 4, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I actually hate to bake…sorry Courtney!! That is why I want you to move to Austin and open a cupcake trailor so I can eat all your baked goods without having to do any work!
Kelly recently posted..highs and lows

9 Courtney May 4, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Hahaha, it’s ok Kelly…I’ll let it slide. ;)

10 Erica May 4, 2011 at 8:50 pm

i’ve only recently tried a healthified substitute (i don’t bake…or cook much. lol) i did the applesauce switcheroo. not bad!!! :)

11 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 4, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I love using applesauce and flax in baking! Both of them are amazing substitutes!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..realist ravioli

12 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out May 4, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Applesauce and mashed bananas in backing. Oh and egg white instead of entire eggs.
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Normalcy! Well- as normal as we can be

13 Pamela Rich May 4, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I substitute almond flour or meal for half of the flour in baked goods. It makes them super moist and lowers the carbs!
Pamela Rich recently posted..My Running Mojo is Missing

14 Charlie May 4, 2011 at 9:54 pm

That soup and sandwich set is awesome! Definitely need one ;).
Charlie recently posted..Piña Colada Cake

15 Melissa May 4, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Applesauce and egg whites for sure! I’m convinced that Jay won’t notice if you don’t tell him! I sure don’t miss the difference! When all else fails, just throw some butter on top! :D
Melissa recently posted..The Stuff of Life

16 Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission May 4, 2011 at 11:11 pm

How could you not be happy eating from a plate + bowl like that?! Seriously. I would totally eat anything from that and it would automatically be the best thing ever lol. Having said that, your chili looks amazing, and I’m definitely going to try that. I’m very partial to chili + cheese.

17 Khushboo May 4, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Applesauce in baked goods to replace oil/butter is one that I use a lot! And in all the times that I’ve replaced AP flour with oats, the results have been great! It really only takes a few changes to revamp the recipe (in a good way)
Khushboo recently posted..Rock-bottom motivation

18 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 5, 2011 at 12:20 am

Cornbread… the stuff of dreams :)

I usually replace butter with oil or applesauce when I’m baking, and oil when I’m cooking. And I love using the 1 tablespoon of vinegar for 1 cup of milk to make buttermilk!

19 April May 5, 2011 at 1:47 am

I made that same cornbread to go with chili last week. We all loved it.

20 ellalinea May 5, 2011 at 5:54 am

That cornbread looks so moist hmmm :) I loike to make black bean brownies instead of orginal brownies with flour..

They do taste different but are soooo healthy! :)
ellalinea recently posted..Coca Cola workaholic

21 CaSaundra May 5, 2011 at 7:36 am

Such a cute set!! And I agree, nothing beats chili and cornbread–pure comfort :-)

22 Christina May 5, 2011 at 12:05 pm

That is the cutest set ever!
I love cornbread — my mom has the best recipe that includes honey and it really makes all the difference.
Christina recently posted..Weekends o’ Fun

23 Kim May 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I love that you watch QVC! The few times I’ve watched the shopping channels I always feel so guilty/ebmarassed – but sometimes they have really cute things and awesome deals!
Glad I’m not alone!