Double Excited

I really don’t know what I am more excited about right now…tonight’s dinner, or what tonight’s dinner was served in.

Is this not the cutest soup and sandwich set ever??

Ok, let’s just say I’m double excited.

I actually ordered this Temp-tations Polka Dot Soup & Sandwich Set from QVC a few weeks ago, but when it came originally, they had sent me the wrong color. Total bummer.

Within a few days, it was re-shipped in the correct color, but I’ve been waiting for a good opportunity to break ‘em in; and since it’s been such a damp and gloomy day today, I figured it was time to make it happen.

I whipped up another quick (and rather spicy!) batch of White Chicken Chili, which I topped off with a little colby jack cheese and a dollop of plain Chobani.

I’m so glad I found this stuff…it’s seriously awesome.

But as good as the chili was, my favorite component of tonight’s dinner was the cornbread. Oh my god the cornbread.

As you guys know, I often try to “healthify” as many of my baked goods as I can, and while I don’t mind the subtle changes it can sometimes cause in taste and/or texture, Jay is not always such a fan.

So in an attempt to please his picky palate, I baked up this recipe, only doing one switch-a-roo with 1/4 egg substitute for the egg. I also drizzled a little honey along the top which was definitely a smart move. This stuff was flippin’ fantastic.

And now, even though I’m pretty full from this dinner, I can almost guarantee I’ll be sneaking back out into the kitchen for another piece while watching a little Modern Family tonight.

Just don’t tell anyone, k?

Question for the Evening:

What’s your favorite healthy substitute when cooking and/or baking?

Comments

I LOVE to pull the good ol’ switcheroo in recipes to make them healthier. I am known for swapping out oil for unsweetened applesauce, egg beaters for eggs, pumpkin puree for oil and/or oil, agave nectar for sugar. Those are my baking standard swaps. I get crazy with the swaps for other foods. I actually think it is a lot of fun and a great challenge to make healthy versions of meals. :)
    Farrah recently posted..Smores Truffles

I actually hate to bake…sorry Courtney!! That is why I want you to move to Austin and open a cupcake trailor so I can eat all your baked goods without having to do any work!
    Kelly recently posted..highs and lows

i’ve only recently tried a healthified substitute (i don’t bake…or cook much. lol) i did the applesauce switcheroo. not bad!!! :)

Applesauce and egg whites for sure! I’m convinced that Jay won’t notice if you don’t tell him! I sure don’t miss the difference! When all else fails, just throw some butter on top! 😀
    Melissa recently posted..The Stuff of Life

How could you not be happy eating from a plate + bowl like that?! Seriously. I would totally eat anything from that and it would automatically be the best thing ever lol. Having said that, your chili looks amazing, and I’m definitely going to try that. I’m very partial to chili + cheese.

Applesauce in baked goods to replace oil/butter is one that I use a lot! And in all the times that I’ve replaced AP flour with oats, the results have been great! It really only takes a few changes to revamp the recipe (in a good way)
    Khushboo recently posted..Rock-bottom motivation

Cornbread… the stuff of dreams :)

I usually replace butter with oil or applesauce when I’m baking, and oil when I’m cooking. And I love using the 1 tablespoon of vinegar for 1 cup of milk to make buttermilk!