Lunch In A Wine Glass

by Courtney on May 4, 2011

What is it about eating out of a wine glass that just makes lunch so much more fun?

Some days, I’m so hungry that I couldn’t care less about what my food looks like. Other days, I have a really fun time making my meals look puuurty. I can actually remember when I was still living with my parents (and not blogging), my dad would often laugh at me and say, “I don’t understand why you bother…it doesn’t look that way goin’ down!”

True. BUT, it still looks that way as it’s goin’ in. Winking smile

Today’s wine glass parfait consisted of some plain Chobani, strawberries, blueberries, homemade granola, and chia seeds.

On the side I had some baby carrots, celery, and hommus. I tried to cool it on the extra veggies today…the tummy hasn’t been too pleased after the big salads lately. But this should be alright (*knock on wood*).

I thought about digging right into another one of my muffins, but I’m actually pleasantly full after this, so I’ll hold off until the inevitable 3:00 hunger pangs strike.

*********

In other news…

I noticed today that I still have paint in my hair from my shed painting extravaganza two days ago.

And I also started working on my favorite Cinco de Mayo dessert recipe:

Margarita Cake!

My favorite girls are coming over tomorrow for a little Cinco de Mayo dinner fiesta, so I figured it would be the perfect opportunity to bake this up. It’s soooo good (and healthified, too!)

Time to head back out into the rain…

Questions for the Afternoon:

Do you like to celebrate holidays such as Cinco de Mayo?

What’s your favorite Mexican-inspired meal/drink?

1 Chad @ thebreakupnote May 4, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I’m with you on the wine glass thing… eating out of them is epic presentation and IT MAKES THE FOOD TASTE BETTER.

All of this stuff looks amazing, by the way :)
Chad @ thebreakupnote recently posted..It All Tasted A Little Better- Today…

2 Sarah @livelovexercise May 4, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Eating a parfait out of a wine glass does seem like it would make it more fun! Ill have to try!! The margarita cake sounds great!!! Enjoy your Cinco De Mayo celebration!!!

3 Chelsea May 4, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Super yummy lookind lunch! I always prefer a cold lunch. I love to celebrate holidays like Cino De Mayo! I haven’t decided what to make for tomorrow though!
Chelsea recently posted..Busy Weekend!

4 Danica May 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm

That parfait is adorable and looks delicious!!

5 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 4, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I love the paint in your hair picture, but really that must be annoying!

The margarita cake looks FAB – like I needed another reason to be excited for Cinco de Mayo!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..DFT to Depressed

6 Faith @ lovelyascharged May 4, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I’ve always been a presentation geek. I would make my mom cut my sandwiches in hearts and roll my bacon into curls..yeah, always been picky about making my food look good! It’s funny though, one of the articles I wrote for work about how cancer patients can keep their strength and get more nutrients when their appetite was down from chemo talked about making food look appealing because it would be more inviting to the senses!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Attitude Adjustment

7 Amber Starr @ Love, Laugh, Live Well May 4, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Your lunch looks super fresh and fabulous! Wine glasses always spice things up. ;)

This year is the first in nearly 5 years that I’m not bartending at a Mexican restaurant for Cinco de Mayo so I’m pretty happy! I’ll likely be having a corona or two with friends/hubby! I pretty much love all mexican food, but enchiladas and fajitas are my favs.
Amber Starr @ Love, Laugh, Live Well recently posted..Make These- Healthier Homemade Chocolate Granola Bars!

8 Jenny May 4, 2011 at 2:36 pm

That cake looks so good! Please post the recipe :) ???

9 Courtney May 4, 2011 at 5:07 pm

It was actually linked in the post, but here you go! :)

10 Heather @ Girlyeverafter May 4, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Mexican food is by far my favorite. I could eat it everyday and never get tired of it. My favorite is Tamales I love them and can’t get enough. With a salt rimmed margarita on the rocks! Yes please!
Heather @ Girlyeverafter recently posted..SURPRISE!!!

11 Ally (oatsandspice) May 4, 2011 at 2:54 pm

You are going to have a BLAST at your cinco de mayo party tomorrow – I am sure your friends will LOVE your margarita cake – cute idea :)

Your lunch looks so good and healthy too :)
Ally (oatsandspice) recently posted..Pictures Say 1000 Words

12 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries May 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm

You can never go wrong with a chips & salsa, a chicken taco, and a margarita (or two)! :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Sunshine State

13 Kelly May 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Margarita cake…hello lover!
Kelly recently posted..highs and lows

14 Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique May 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Wine glasses make everything that much more fun. :) That margarita cake sounds delicious. Enjoy your fiesta!
Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique recently posted..What Im Loving Wednesday

15 Erica May 4, 2011 at 4:02 pm

wow….i just ate a fruit & yogurt parfait….from mcdonalds. lol. yours looks MUCH better! ;p

16 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 4, 2011 at 4:23 pm

While I prefer to drink actual vino out of a wine glass, I do agree that it makes lunch more fun, not as fun as an actual glass of wine (hey, it’s 5 o clock somewhere) but a close second ;-).

I am OBSESSED with that margarita cake. Saw it on my Twitter Feed earlier. I want to make it but I need to make sure it fits into my new little budget diet challenge. I already have some of the ingredients so I’m hopin it will work out. Wish me luck!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Word Up Wednesday- Kitch-inspiration

17 Courtney May 4, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Good Luck! ;)

18 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 4, 2011 at 4:38 pm

you seriously just saved me girl! i have to make a dessert for the boyf’s work cinco de mayo party tomorrow and i couldn’t find anything i LOVED on all-recipes. thanks!
Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit recently posted..in an instant

19 Caitlin @ Southern Curls & Pearls May 4, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Your lunch was so pretty! I love eating pretty food, and I think I savor it longer that way, too.

I can’t wait to have a margarita tomorrow! (Although I would definitely like a slice of your cake, too! Too bad I won’t have time to make one)
Caitlin @ Southern Curls & Pearls recently posted..Trendy Tuesday- High Waisted Shorts

20 Lauren May 4, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Margarita Cupcakes are great for Cinco de Mayo! How similar are they to your margarita cake?
Lauren recently posted..Eat Your Margarita – Margarita Cupcakes!

21 Courtney May 4, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I’m not sure I know what you mean? I’m making the Margarita cake again…no cupcakes this time (although I’m sure they’d be just as good!)

22 Lauren May 4, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Ah sorry for the confusion – I made Margarita Cupcakes – are the recipes similar?
Lauren recently posted..Eat Your Margarita – Margarita Cupcakes!

23 Courtney May 5, 2011 at 8:04 am

Yes, they look very similar!

24 colleen laquay urbaniuk @ thegiftofmondays.com May 4, 2011 at 6:56 pm

though i don’t always take the time to make my food (especially lunch) look pretty, i will admit that it somehow makes me feel like i’m eating something really special when i do. thanks for steering me towards Chobani. i tried it for the first time last month and i love it!!! i also love that Greek yogurt has a bunch more protein than regular yogurt. healthy and good-great combo! the next to try, chia seeds…

25 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 4, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Margarita cake? That’s like my DREAM!!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..realist ravioli

26 Khushboo May 4, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Haha I’m just the same with my grub- Pretty food always seems to taste better too! I’ve been wanting to make chili for ages but have been saving it for cinco de mayo so that I can somewhat feel the celebrations :)!
Khushboo recently posted..Rock-bottom motivation

27 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 5, 2011 at 12:11 am

YES Love Cinco de Mayo and any excuse to celebrate. The Mexican food is a huge plus. And I may be trying my first margarita this year!!!

I was going to make a tres leche cake, but margarita cake sounds even better :)
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Nature’s Butter