Please Don’t Be Grossed Out

by Courtney on May 5, 2011

Hey Hey! How’s everyone’s Cinco de Mayo going so far? Anyone dig into a margarita yet?? (It’s ok, I won’t tell.)

This morning, I had a few things to take care of…first up, blood work.

(Notice the creeper and his favorite toy about a foot away…he must have been trying to work off those beers from this morning.)

You know, I’ve always been pretty cool with needles. They’ve never bothered me, which is probably a good thing, seeing as though I get poked with four of them every week. But there’s something about getting blood drawn that really grosses me out. Maybe it’s the placement of the needle right in the crease of my elbow, I don’t know.

Either way, it required a little pick-me-up. In the form of iced coffee. Because I’m sort of addicted. Especially when two of my favorites are on the menu: Jamaican Me Crazy & Sugar Cookie. Yumm-o.

After feeding my addiction, it was time for stop number two: kitchen table shopping. I found a couple that could work, but I’m still not totally sure.

Table #1 – Love it (and the price) but not sure if it’s too big for our space. Might be kinda cramped in.

Table #2 – Not square (bummer) but I do like how the leaves will make it more accommodating for our smaller space.

Plus, it has a pretty cool base that will be helpful with more storage.

What do you guys think? Table #1 or Table #2???

*********

Once I got home, I put together a quick lunch.

I had the other half of my leftover spaghetti squash, and if you’re doing any calculating in your head right now, yes, I made this exactly two weeks ago. That probably grosses out some of you (it sort of does me, too, after realizing it’s actually been that long) but it passed the “eyeball & sniff test” and since I hate wasting food, I ate it.

It still tasted awesome, so I’m just going to ignore that whole 2 week thing…and I’m also going to ignore the fact that I’ve OD’d on cornbread today. You know how it goes…

Cut yourself a little bite size piece…

Five minutes later, go back for seconds, then thirds, then…

Well, you get the idea.

Please tell me I’m not alone on this awful habit?

********

Now, it’s time to go finish getting things ready for tonight’s fiesta. At least I’ve got the important stuff ready to go. Winking smile

Ole!!

1 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) May 5, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Lol I always do the smell/taste test. If it smells good and it tastes good then it passes inspection and it’s ok to eat :)

2 Daniel B. May 5, 2011 at 2:52 pm

The only thing I’m grossed out by is the margarita mix. It’s one of the simplest drinks to make ever: tequila. limes and triple sec. Where does the mix come in?

If I’m not mistaken these are the ingredients in your mix:
Water, corn syrup, sugar, citric acid, natural flavors, sodium citrate, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (to preserve flavor), cellulose gum, polysorbate 60, gum arabic, glycerol abietate and FD&C yellow no. 5.

A careful read would reveal that it contains no lime juice at all. Yikes.

3 Candice May 5, 2011 at 5:47 pm

You obviously need a girlfriend. Yikes, buddy, calm down.

4 Daniel B. May 5, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Is that in addition to or as a replacement for my wife?

I’m perfectly calm. Just trying to expand people’s cocktail repertoire beyond spirits with artificially flavored mixers and ice. It’s easy and delicious.

I’ll be making some for my wife when she walks in the door. They will go splendidly with the tamale pie I made, and hopefully soften the blow when I tell her that I obviously need a girlfriend.
Daniel B. recently posted..Oh Baby- I Was Bound For Mexico

5 Courtney May 5, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Touche, Daniel, touche! I guess it’s a good thing we didn’t end up drinking that mix then. ;)

6 Daniel B. May 5, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Yes! One small step for Courtney. One giant leap for cocktails everywhere.
Daniel B. recently posted..Oh Baby- I Was Bound For Mexico

7 Shanna, Like Banana May 5, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I had to get blood taken twice last week…Meep!

I don’t know that I could eat a 2 week spaghetti squash, but then again..maybe ;)

8 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 5, 2011 at 2:56 pm

hahaha that’s not gross! The smell/taste test has been approved by scientists around the world. Didn’t you know that?

Besides, that squash looked so good, I don’t blame you for digging in! I have week-old grilled fruit sitting in my fridge and it’s starting to look like baby food…bad sign?
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Shoulda- Coulda- Woulda de Mayo

9 allison May 5, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I don’t know if you have an IKEA near you, but I just got this…http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10182311

It’s perfect for a small space, but extends if you need more room

10 Colleen May 5, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Go for the square table! We used to have a round with leaves and it kept scratching up our floor when we’d have to move the table to open it up. Ha – a silly reason that can be easily handled – but it was annoying! Have fun tonight – love your blog!!

11 Courtney May 5, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Thanks, Colleen! :)

12 Cynthia (It All Changes) May 5, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I love table one. I’m not big on fold down leaves on tables. And I have a thing for square tables.

I don’t mind having blood drawn as long as they don’t put it in my hand. I can feel it hours later.
Cynthia (It All Changes) recently posted..Best Invention Ever

13 Melissa May 5, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I like the square table. It seems like it would fit your decor better. Plus, I would hate to have to dust underneath the round one! I’m lazy like that. ;)
Melissa recently posted..The Stuff of Life

14 Courtney May 5, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Oooooo, good call on the dusting…so not my thing!

15 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries May 5, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Okay, so I’m going against everyone else’s vote, but I like the storage space under table 2 :) But I really do like #1 as well!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Sunshine State

16 Alexa @ Simple Eats May 5, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I like both, but I think for space and storage sake, number 2! It’s exciting to get a table!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Extra Dark

17 Becca May 5, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I liek table 1… becuase it’s just like mine, but I love the option of extra space under table 2!
Becca recently posted..Nine and a HALF!!! Weeks Out

18 Kathryn May 5, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Love table #1! It’s really modern and would match your kitchen’s style really well :)

19 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 5, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Oh i”M horrible at going back for “just one more”!!!! Oh well – it tastes good. And I’m kind of not grossed out about the squash which in turn kind of grosses me out. haha!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..realist ravioli

20 Jen May 5, 2011 at 3:58 pm

HAHA, I love that you do the sight/sniff test too :) I’m all about that – even on items that have “expiration” dates — I actually get frustrated by people who throw things out as soon as it hits the “expiration” date because, HELLO, manufacturers have to be safe, so they date those way early, duh!

Both tables are cute :) What kind of placemats do you prefer? Rectangular ones really only work on square/rectangular tables, and round tables really need the round placemats. I’d probably never buy a round table because I already have a TON of rectangular placemats!!

21 Courtney May 5, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Awww man, I never thought about that. I’m totally a rectangle placemat kinda gal…

22 Heather May 5, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Te quiero, Courtney! xo Happy day of fiesta!!
Heather recently posted..Insomnia

23 Erica May 5, 2011 at 4:36 pm

i like table #1. i love the clean lines and the consistency with the table and chairs…table #2 doesn’t have as nice of a “flow”…don’t buy something just cause the price is good! keep looking if table #1 is too big!

24 Courtney Melia May 5, 2011 at 4:50 pm

You are definitely not the only one! I’ve been OD’ing in cereal today. I’ve had about 4 bowls. I’m in serious need of a salad tonight to balance out my body. But hey, its my last day of college as a freshman… go big or go home.
Courtney Melia recently posted..Chemistry

25 Sheena May 5, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I’m loving table #1 so hopefully it fits!

I’m a weirdo and like watching when people draw blood from me. I know it can be hard to find a good vein so I give a silent “yey” in my head when they get it :)
Sheena recently posted..Where do all of the bobby pins go

26 Heather T May 5, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I like the second table, especially the underneath storage space!

27 briana May 5, 2011 at 5:14 pm

your not alone I can’t make cornbread because I keep snacking on it! I once threw it away to stop myself!

28 colleen laquay urbaniuk @ thegiftofmondays.com May 5, 2011 at 5:19 pm

love table # 1, i’m a big fan of clean lines and square shapes. the only thing i like about table # 2 is the storage but i think it might make the area look more cluttered if it was full of “stuff”. if #1 ends up being too big, i agree with erica to keep looking.

as i was reading your post i was eating yet another piece of banana bread that one of our hotel guests brought me today. in the last 2 hours i’ve eaten half the loaf and i’m really feeling like i need something not sweet at this point!!! hopefully i end the day without eating another bite of that bread!!!

as far as the tequila…we’re not on speaking terms. we had a falling out a few years back, tried to work on our relationship and just decided that we were better left apart…

happy thursday!!!
colleen laquay urbaniuk @ thegiftofmondays.com recently posted..my mom died today

29 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 5, 2011 at 5:27 pm

eek i HATE getting blood drawn! and i am LOVING table number one!! and i can’t wait for margs tonight! have you tried bethenny’s skinny girl marg? deeeeelicious!
Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit recently posted..in an instant

30 Courtney May 5, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Yes! It’s a good one :-P

31 Karis' Kitchen May 5, 2011 at 5:32 pm

We have a table with storage underneath like #2, and it takes awhile to get used to because your legs will hit it. If I had to do it all over again, I’d go for one like #1 to have more space for legs underneath.

Haven’t dug in yet, but my margarita ingredients (tequila, triple sec & limes) are out and ready for tonight! :)
Karis’ Kitchen recently posted..Spicy Bean Salsa Prep

32 Jillian May 5, 2011 at 5:49 pm

I am looking for a kitchen table tooo!!! Where did you go? I like #1, but it’s hard to tell without seeing the space you want to put it.

33 Courtney May 5, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Old Brick :)

34 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com May 5, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Table one is my fave too:) Carbs in a pan are not safe in our house until they are completely gone…..you are not alone!!! Have an amazing time tonight, looks like you got everything you need in life!
janae @hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..Janae the Widow

35 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy May 5, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I always catch myself eating out of the pan! I know it’s a bad habit, but it’s so hard to break, especially when the food in the pan is so addicting (brownies…bread…cookie bars…)
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..In with the new

36 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 5, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Haha nice blender! I always do a sniff test. And a look to see if any mold has developed…I think that’s too much information??

But I’m always guilty of going back for seconds and thirds of my “snack sized” bites. Especially if it’s cake and ice cream!

Have a fun Cinco :)
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..A Mexican Evening

37 Amanda (Eating Up) May 5, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Table number two! That storage is so nice!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Eating Up Returns

38 Kristi May 5, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I like table #1!

39 Mandee May 5, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Table 1!

40 Paige @ Running Around Normal May 5, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I am THE worst with corn bread. I keep going back and back and back, too!

I like the first table, btw!
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Lentils —&gtLoaf

41 Mary (sisters running the kitchen) May 5, 2011 at 10:50 pm

definitely table #1!!!!!!!
Mary (sisters running the kitchen) recently posted..Stamp Out Hunger

42 Kate May 5, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I love that you posted about the stuffed spaghetti squash! I was just thinking about it and was on your site earlier looking for the recipe so I could make it tomorrow.

I like table 2 but then again, it’s almost identical to the one I have in my kitchen so I’m kind of biased.
Kate recently posted..Don’t Know Much About History…

43 Danica May 5, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I like the color of table #1, but having a table that folds down and provides extra storage space is definitely more convenient! Is that even helpful? :/

44 Khushboo May 6, 2011 at 12:04 am

I’m like you about needles- most of the time I’m pretty cool! Except one time, this lady came home to do a blood test and on the way back to the clinic, she got mugged, and guess who’s sample was in her bag! Was such a bummer as had to redo the test but I couldn’t even be annoyed- poor lady lost so much!
Oh and table 1 is more conventional but I prefer table 2 because it’s more convenient space-wise! Go for numero deux!
Khushboo recently posted..Rock-bottom motivation

45 Courtney May 6, 2011 at 8:18 am

Oh my gosh, that’s awful! :(

46 Farrah May 6, 2011 at 9:28 am

I love the square table!! Also – try the Skinny Girl Margarita….SO YUMMY!!!! I’ve made tons of them and they are incredible. Where is it that you get those great ice coffees? I know I don’t live far from you and I don’t see a logo on the cup!
Farrah recently posted..Smores Truffles

47 Courtney May 6, 2011 at 10:26 am

Flavour Cafe in downtown Troy. My FAVORITE place for iced coffee! :)

48 bobbie May 6, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Table one! :)

49 Courtney May 7, 2011 at 2:57 pm

A girl after my very own heart, mmm, I’ve already had well over my fairshare of morning coffee already and I’m sitting here literally DREAMING about an iced afternoon fix ;) Is there AA for coffee addicts, and could we still afford it after setting aside funds for our daily latte? Haha.

I live up in Seattle so obviously I don’t have the same chain cafe where you go for ‘em up here, but do you know what goes in either the Jamaican or Sugar Cookie, like flavorings/syrups? Lemme know, I’m a barista myself and I want to add something to my to-try list!

50 Courtney May 7, 2011 at 3:10 pm

The place where I get my coveted Jamaican and Sugar Cookie-flavored coffee doesn’t use syrups. They have tons of different flavored beans, which is why I love them so much…no weird, artificial taste to them! I’m pretty sure the Jamaican Me Crazy is a mix of kahlua, sugar cookie, and some other flavor coffee bean. :)