Cinco de Mayo Recap

by Courtney on May 6, 2011

Last night was full of all my favorites:

Good friends, good food, good booze. Mmmmhmmm.

Once the clock struck 5:00, we fired up the margarita machine and toasted to the Cinco de Mayo festivities.

To make the margaritas, I used some good ‘ol tequila, along with this Sinless Margarita mix. The company sent it to me a couple months ago to try out, and I’d been saving it for a special occasion.

We were all pleasantly surprised with the flavor of this mix. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it wasn’t as “oh-my-god-this-is-sweet” as some other mixes are. For only 5 calories a serving, we were all sold…and a couple of us celebrated with more than one.

Ohhh, don’t worry, nobody got crazy. Winking smile

While we were waiting for a couple more of the girls to arrive, a few of us snacked on some tortilla chips, salsa, and Healthier Guacamole.

I seriously could eat this stuff by the spoonful…well, actually, I did while I was making it soooo……

Once we were all here, I got to work on cooking up the meat and prepping our taco station. Thankfully, I had done some of the work ahead of time, so dinner was ready in a flash.

Make Your Own Taco Bar!

I had hard taco shells and soft tortillas, ground beef and ground chicken,

refried beans, lettuce, tomatoes, Mexican blend cheese, sour cream,

and my girl Eileen brought a rice and bean dish that had a serious kick to it.

I dug right in for my share: 2 whole wheat tortillas filled with beans, chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, a little sour cream, and extra guac.

Like I said, I can’t get enough of the stuff.

Everything was delicious, but I had to make sure to save room for dessert. I’d been waiting all day for this thing!

Margarita Cake!

*edited to include recipe*

****

I enjoyed every last bite of my piece…

…but my favorite part is definitely the salty and sweet crust.

I made sure to send a bunch of it home with the girls…my waistline is already thanking me.

********

This morning, I ran a nice three miles on the treadmill, but realized halfway through that I probably should have gone outside. Apparently, it’s just second nature to head down there, so I guess I’m going to have to work on that.

Breakfast was nothing you haven’t seen already this week…iced coffee

And this awesome stuff.

*********

By the way, thanks to everyone on your input regarding my kitchen table choices. I’m still not sure what I’m leaning towards more, but both Jen and Melissa did make some pretty valid points about table #2 (round table = round placemats, which I don’t have, and round table base = extra dusting) so we’ll see!

Of Possible Interest:

Starting today through May 15th, Starbucks will be offering half-price Frappuccinos for Happy Hour from 3-5pm. So just in case anyone needs to find me around 3pm today, now you know where to find me.

Question for the Day:

How would you tackle a Taco Bar? What are your favorite mix-ins?

1 Kelly May 6, 2011 at 8:33 am

Yum…that sounds like a fun night!! We went to our neighbors for fajitas and I loaded up…the peppers and onions are my favorite part!
Kelly recently posted..highs and lows

2 Blog is the New Black May 6, 2011 at 8:33 am

Look at you- hostess with the mostess! Wish I lived closer! ;)
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Loaded Turkey Enchiladas

3 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 6, 2011 at 8:37 am

Your cake turned out beautifully!

I need to check out that mix – usually frozen sweet drinks are off limits but for 5 cals I’m in!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Cinco de Socca

4 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign May 6, 2011 at 8:37 am

Your taco spread looks delicious! I love black beans on my tacos–and a pinch of cilantro.
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..My Best Friend Part 1

5 ellalinea May 6, 2011 at 8:47 am

What a festive cake! The margarite seems nice as well and 5 kcal per serving, that’s a plus! :)
ellalinea recently posted..How toStay motivated

6 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine May 6, 2011 at 9:02 am

I’d tackle a taco bar by eating all the guacamole and leaving none for anyone else. Truth :)
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Same Old

7 Shanna, like Banana May 6, 2011 at 9:42 am

Thanks for the heads up! I was just thinking about a Mocha lite frap!

8 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life May 6, 2011 at 9:50 am

Where did you find that sinless margarita mix? I’ve been on a margarita kick lately and would love to try that.

All the food at your party looked delish. I would definitely pile on the guac!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Five Question Friday!

9 Courtney May 6, 2011 at 10:26 am

The company actually sent it to me to sample, but if you click on the link it will bring you to their website and you can order from there. :)

10 khushboo May 6, 2011 at 10:33 am

Awesome spread! I wud head for lettuce, then chicken, then salsa, guacs, greek yog and then crumble a taco shell on top! Yum- had that for lunch and my mouth still waters at the thought of it!

What was the dessert exactly? Couldn’t make out!

11 Amanda (Eating Up) May 6, 2011 at 10:48 am

That crust looks AMAZING! What a beautiful, festive cake!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Eating Up Returns

12 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 6, 2011 at 10:55 am

Daaaaang, girl! That cake looks amazing!
Looks like you had great food and booze to enjoy! :)

13 Melissa May 6, 2011 at 11:06 am

That cake is darling! I love it!

I have difficulty with taco bars. Somehow, I can never gauge an appropriate amount to put into the tortillas and they always end up spilling over. Truth be told, I could eat just guac and tortillas and be a very happy camper! :D

14 natalie (the sweets life) May 6, 2011 at 11:55 am

fun cinco de mayo celebration! we managed margaritas and mango salsa…i wish we’d done a taco bar tho…yours looks awesome!

15 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 6, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Ohhhhh that cake looks so good! I wish I had made it. I love how you healthified your Cinco de Mayo. I will find another excuse to make this cake because it is just too darn cute :-) I attack a taco bar with intensity and focus, fitting as much into a tiny taco as humanly possible ;-). I like veggie tacos but occasionally like to add some chicken.
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Sometimes Healthy Catching Some Z’s

16 Courtney May 6, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I like your style ;)

17 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) May 6, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Mmm, cake recipe coming soon?!
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Guacamole Pasta Salad

18 Courtney May 6, 2011 at 12:33 pm

It’s linked in yesterday’s post! ;)

19 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) May 6, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Ah, found it! I love the sweet/salty combo.
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Guacamole Pasta Salad

20 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 6, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I loved everything in your taco bar! I would probably add some grilled bell peppers, or mole sauce, but your party food sounded awesome. Especially that cake ;) I wish I could’ve been there to snag some of that cake…
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..A Mexican Evening

21 Stephanie @cookinfanatic May 6, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Your Cinco de Mayo cake is so freaking cute!! Glad you had a nice time celebrating :)
Stephanie @cookinfanatic recently posted..Fiesta!

22 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 6, 2011 at 2:09 pm

that cinco de mayo spread looks BEYOND! so fun! and that cake is totally precious! i may make it this weekend (a couple days late) with the leftover limes we have ;)
Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit recently posted..in an instant

23 Erica May 6, 2011 at 3:26 pm

omg. that cake! i want some! lol.

i love tacos w/ground beef, cheese, lettuce, tomato and olives!
i’m not a fan of shredded meat in tacos. hahahaha.

24 Jillian May 6, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Such a fun night with the girls!!! That cake looks amazing, and the crust- even better. You truly are a master of all things baked!! I am SOO impressed with your cupcakes. Forget teaching – DC Cupcakes here you come :)

25 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy May 6, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I love guacamole! When I go to Mexican restaurants the first thing on my mind is ordering “a side of guacamole”…I could eat it with a spoon (and I have) :)
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..In with the new

26 fsugirl! May 6, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Looks like fun!! :D

27 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 6, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I love taco bars – actually, I just love anything Mexican! Looked delicious!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..realist ravioli