A Happy Mother’s Day

by Courtney on May 8, 2011

This afternoon, Jay and I had my in-laws over for a little Mother’s Day brunch. The weather was gorgeous early on, so we decided to let the little man out again to do some exploring.

Can’t you tell how much he loves me here?

Clearly, he just wanted to roam. Did he not know today is Mother’s Day???

While brunch was finishing up in the oven, we all sat out on the back deck and chatted for a bit.

I also sipped on a refreshing iced coffee with skim milk.

As we were sitting outside, the smells from the oven were traveling right through the window, so I was getting pretty anxious to dig in. Thankfully, it was well worth the wait.

Today’s menu included my favorite Egg Strata (which Jay actually prepared),

and a new Baked French Toast Casserole. Oh.my.god.

I decided I wanted to try out a recipe different from my usual French toast, just to switch things up a bit. I ended up coming across a recipe from Paula Deen that sounded absolutely incredible (filled with butter, of course) but I made quite a few modifications to “healthify” it my way. I’ll be sure to share it with you all this week. Winking smile

I enjoyed a good portion of each, plus ended up going back for a little extra.

I was nervous about venturing away from my usual French toast, but this stuff was on point. Perhaps a new favorite, in fact!

Jay also did quite a good job on the eggs…I’ll tell ya, he’s a jack of all trades!

Jay & his Mom Smile

Once brunch was over, Jay and I headed on over to visit and celebrate with my parents for dinner (in case you’re wondering, yes it’s the same day…it just got chilly, hence the reason for the wardrobe change from hubby).

Dad took care of the entire dinner himself today. Well, almost entirely…I made sure to help out with seasoning the sweet potato fries nice and good before they hit the oven.

But other than that, it was all him! We had some yummy grilled chicken, sweet tater fries, sugar snap peas, and corn. ‘Twas an impressive meal from Dad.

And ‘twas a great day to spend with one very special hot mama.

Happy Mother’s Day, Mom!

Thanks for everything you do for me and for our family.

Thanks for always being there for me.

Thanks for being my shopping partner in crime.

Thanks for helping me see the bright side of things, even when they appear to be their darkest.

Thanks for believing in me, even when I don’t quite believe in myself.

Thanks, for everything. Love ya, Mom!

1 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 8, 2011 at 9:00 pm

What a wonderful day! Happy mother’s day to your beautiful mom!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..realist ravioli

2 Farrah May 8, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I made Paula Deen’s french toast casserole on Easter and I agree, it was really good! I can’t wait to see your variations.
Farrah recently posted..A busy day and some incredible frosting

3 Kate Gifford May 8, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Can’t wait for your healthy recipe, I make that french toast all the time but would love a healthier version of it!
Glad you had a nice day!

4 pat May 8, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Thank you Sweetie, I love you more than you’ll ever know! : )

5 Stefanie May 8, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Hey Courtney I loove that white shirt & necklace! Where did you get them?!

6 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) May 8, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Everything looks amazing. Happy Mother’s Day to your mommy!!
The egg strata looks amazing!

7 Caitlin @ Southern Curls & Pearls May 8, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Happy mother’s day to you and your mother! Looks like a fun day.

Btw, I love the picture of you and Jay in front of the house! I think it deserves a cute frame :)
Caitlin @ Southern Curls & Pearls recently posted..Gettin Crafty With It

8 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 8, 2011 at 10:04 pm

oh my gosh! the second i saw the picture of that french toast casserole i KNEW it was paula deen’s! i made it for christmas morning!! SOOO delicious! i can’t wait to see how you healthified it up, because to my knowledge, i remember there was a significant amount of butter in it :) but worth it hahah!
Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit recently posted..in an instant

9 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 8, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Looks like you had a wonderful day – what beautiful mothers you and Jay have! :)

10 Mandee May 8, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I agree, Moms are the best–I’d be lost without mine!

Sweet potato fries are also the best! Those look great!
Mandee recently posted..Big plans

11 Katy (The Singing Runner) May 8, 2011 at 10:33 pm

How beautiful! :D
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..A Day Through The Lens

12 Khushboo May 8, 2011 at 11:20 pm

what a wonderful day, I’m sure both your moms felt super special…and so they should :)!
Khushboo recently posted..Rock-bottom motivation

13 Danica May 8, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Sounds like it was a great day! By the way I love your hair in these pictures-beautiful!

14 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" May 8, 2011 at 11:48 pm

OMG that French Toast looks amazing. I cannot wait for the recipe -I swear one of these days I’ll get around to actually making one of your incredible dishes. Maybe this will be the one ;-) Happy Mother’s Day!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy Living Girl” recently posted..Ode to a Sometimes Healthy Mother

15 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 9, 2011 at 2:01 am

Bahaha I love how Cody just keeps lookin at the ground in every picture! He just can’t wait to go and explore :)

Your French toast casserole look UNBELIEVABLE! It’s Paula Deen, so it has to be good. I can’t wait to see how you healthify Paula’s recipe!

And it’s awesome that you got to spend the day with both sets of moms!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Red Cabbage and Apple Sauté

16 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun May 9, 2011 at 7:30 am

I seriously want both of those brunch items. They look absolutely delicious and exactly what I love to eat at brunches.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self-Love Reflection- Stop Fat Talk

17 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine May 9, 2011 at 8:12 am

Random, but I LOVE your necklace- you just look gorgeous!! You share a smile with your mom :) Glad you had a good mother’s day with your family!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..AOC

18 Holly May 9, 2011 at 11:03 am

Those are some gorgeous looking ladies in your family :)
Holly recently posted..Dinner For One

19 Christina May 9, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I can’t wait for the french toast recipe!
Christina recently posted..NYC weekend

20 Caroline May 9, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Your french toast looks absolutely yummmmmmmy, and I also love the outfit, you look gorgeous
Caroline recently posted..Rain Running

21 Nicole @ Of Cookies and Carrots May 9, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Um, you are GORGEOUS. :) i love that pic of you and your mom, toooo cute! :)

hope your day was amazing :)
Nicole @ Of Cookies and Carrots recently posted..mother’s-day muffins cappuccino muffins

22 EmmaClaire May 9, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Courtney, you have the most beautiful skin I have ever seen! You are flawless, girl!

And that meal looks amazing too! Can’t wait for the French Toast Casserole recipe!

23 Courtney May 9, 2011 at 10:33 pm