Grilled Pizza with Friends

by Courtney on May 10, 2011

It’s 8:00am on the dot right now. So far today, I have…

• Spent 25 minutes on the elliptical doing killer intervals
  • Went to my favorite 5:45am BodyPump class
  • Came home, made Jay his lunch
  • Made Jay his breakfast (I’m pulling for the “Wife of the Week” award)
  • Drank my iced coffee
  • Ate breakfast
  • Emptied the dishwasher
  • Cleaned up the kitchen from last night’s dinner

Talk about productive!

Last Night

Jay informed me during the day yesterday that he and our friend Joey were heading out golfing after work, and wanted to know if we could have him and Kate over for dinner after. Ummm, absolutely!

So while the boys were out golfing, Kate and I hung around at the house chatting,

and drinking some wine.

It wasn’t until about 7:45 that the boys finally got back from their golf outing.

All I could say was thank god. I was about ready to eat my right arm off, so we quickly got to work on making dinner…

PIZZA ON THE GRILL! (sorry for the caps…I get a little carried away with this stuff)

Jay and I like to save pizza on the grill for the warmer months, since it just seems to make it that much more special. This was actually our first grilled pizza of the season, and I was overly excited to dig right in. For a more detailed description of how we make our pizza on the grill, you can check that out here and here.

While Jay and I finished up the pizzas, Cody made sure to supervise the situation. He did great job (thanks, Joey).

In no time, the pizzas were ready to go. We did one plain cheese pizza (left) and one white pizza with basil pesto, diced tomatoes, peppers, and onions (right).

My plate: One piece of each pizza along with some salad that I whipped up, drizzled with a little balsamic vinaigrette.

The white pizza was easily my favorite (I ended up having another slice of this one),

but the plain cheese one was pretty darn tasty too.

Since we’re still table-less, we all enjoyed our dinner in the living room on TV trays, while Joey dowsed his pizza with barbecue sauce. (Sorry Joey, I had to.) Winking smile

The four of us had such a great night, but I’m really not surprised, seeing as though we always have a good time when we get together. Smile

**********

As soon as I got home from the gym this morning, I was ready to break into my iced coffee. Unfortunately, my stash was a little lower that I expected, so I only ended up with about half a glass.

Breakfast was a quick and tasty cereal combo bowl.

Kashi Go Lean Crisp, Kashi Heart to Heart, and a couple Frosted Mini Wheats (which will just not go stale…we’ve had them since January) with vanilla almond milk and banana slices.

It was good, but I have a feeling I’ll be heading back for something else pretty soon.

Time to get crackin’ on the day!

Question for the Morning:

What is your favorite food to grill?

1 Blog is the New Black May 10, 2011 at 8:43 am

Ooooh, grilled pizza sounds fantastic!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Peanut Butter Parfait

2 Chad @ thebreakupnote May 10, 2011 at 8:44 am

I want to break out my grill for the first time and make something really special however I am undecided what to make! Perhaps this pizza idea would do… such a great idea!
Chad @ thebreakupnote recently posted..No Rain On This Picnic

3 Melissa May 10, 2011 at 8:46 am

Good gracious, I’m exhausted just looking at that list! Way to go! I love doing veggies on the grill and then adding them to a salad. Pizza is great, too, but I don’t think I’ve perfected it like you have!

4 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 10, 2011 at 8:49 am

Grilled pizza is such a good idea! And I love pesto on anything, so I can guess which version I’d prefer :)

You do more by 8AM than I do by 8 PM!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Distractions

5 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 10, 2011 at 8:49 am

I love grilled pizza – especially when topped with grilled veggies =) Nothing like a freshly roasted red pepper!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Kitchen Sink Veggie Burgers

6 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life May 10, 2011 at 8:51 am

Pizza on the grill sounds like a really delicious idea. My boyfriend is a huge fan of brick oven pizza because of its super crispy crust. Do you get a similar effect by grilling it?
I like BBQ sauce on my pizza too!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..New Park!

7 Courtney May 10, 2011 at 8:52 am

Yes! Jay actually just made that comment last night. Wood-fired pizza is his favorite!

8 Hope May 10, 2011 at 9:02 am

I’ve never had grilled pizza before! It looks like it would taste amazing! I am definitely going to try this! :)

9 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers May 10, 2011 at 9:09 am

My favorite food to grill would have to be a good steak. However, I’ve never grilled pizza. I see a new fav in my future!

First visit to your blog – I look forward to future posts!

10 Courtney May 10, 2011 at 9:33 am

Hi, Tiff! Glad you found me! :)

11 Kelly May 10, 2011 at 9:33 am

I am a sucker for a good burger off the grill! YUM!
Kelly recently posted..i related

12 Kate May 10, 2011 at 9:45 am

I loved grilled pizza so much – it’s the combination of two of my favorite things: pizza and grilling. I also think nothing says summer like grilled corn on the cob. Yum.

Your kitchen is gorgeous! How have I never notices it before?
Kate recently posted..cancun honeymoon day one

13 Shanna, Like Banana May 10, 2011 at 9:54 am

Pizza on the grill is awesome — my hubby and I love it that way. It’s also good topped with arugula in the last few minutes of grilling.

14 Amanda (Eating Up) May 10, 2011 at 10:03 am

I love grilling peaches! It makes the best dessert!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Gooey Butter Cookies

15 Jenny May 10, 2011 at 10:27 am

I love nights in with friends, good food and wine! I think one of my favorite things to grill is shrimp – it just tastes sooo much better than done any other way. Now if only I had a grill…. :(

16 Khushboo May 10, 2011 at 11:02 am

Wow talk about a productive AM! I love grilling anything that involves cheese, can’t best crispy & golden cheese!
Khushboo recently posted..Rock-bottom motivation

17 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 10, 2011 at 11:05 am

Pizza on the grill! What a fantastic idea. I would never think about that. A couple weeks ago, I bought my first Foreman Grill (no real grills in NYC :-() and I went to town. I grilled everything possible: fruit, veggies, grilled cheese, angel food cake….My fave had to be the grilled bananas and the pineapple YUMMY!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Turn that Monday Frown Upside Down- A New York-a-Versary

18 Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries May 10, 2011 at 11:05 am

Mmm that grilled pizza looks tasty. Just like Jay’s friend, I put condiments on my pizza as well, RANCH DRESSING! I try to avoid it because it’s so processed but my oh my sometimes I gotta pour the ranch on my pizza.

Have a good day!
Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries recently posted..Go For the Thrills

19 Chelsea May 10, 2011 at 11:09 am

It’s 9 am and I have barely eaten breakfast, I need to become a morning person again…..

I love making pizza on the grill! Yummy! But, my favorite foods on the grill are veggies or grilled peaches and pineapple.
Chelsea recently posted..This Weekend

20 Courtney May 10, 2011 at 12:12 pm

we had basically the same breakfast today! except i added some homemade granola, french vanilla granola, and had plain almond milk instead!

21 Heather May 10, 2011 at 12:15 pm

we love grilling! the pizza looks amazing. Never thought to grill it! I really don’t have a favorite though hhmm.
Heather recently posted..Kick it into High Gear

22 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 10, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I’ve never tried grilled pizza, but it looks delicious!

My favorite food to grill is portabello mushrooms!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..realist ravioli

23 Jess (Sweet Potato) May 10, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Homemade pizza is one of my favorite meals to make. Next time, I’m going to try it on the grill!
Jess (Sweet Potato) recently posted..Grilling x3 and Quinoa Salad with Dried Cranberries- Pistachios- and Feta

24 Jillian May 10, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I just grilled Pizza on Sunday! Yumm! My fave too!

25 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 10, 2011 at 3:46 pm

i’m so impressed with how productive you were this morning! i have done nothing :( and my favorite thing to grill is zucchini, chicken and steak! so boring i know!
Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit recently posted..in an instant

26 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries May 10, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Great idea! I’ve never made pizza on the grill. I think it’s something we’ll need to try now that it’s FINALLY getting warm out!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Greeks &amp Treats

27 Sarah May 10, 2011 at 7:36 pm

pizza on the grill sounds so fun! I have never even thought to do that, we usually just stick to the obvious.. burgers, veggies etc I will have to try that out asap!
Sarah recently posted..3pm Slump

28 Kristi May 10, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I’ve always wanted to grill pizzas.. maybe this summer I will.
Kristi recently posted..Something new

29 Jardan May 10, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Yum!!
My fave food to grill is an easy open toast made with avocado, cheese and a sprinkle or rocksalt. SO simple but satisfies me every time :)
Jardan recently posted..May 11- 2011

30 Ally May 10, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I love this idea! I’d never think of throwing pizza on the grill. Genius.

31 dena b May 10, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I’m so making grilled pizza this weekend……