Cupcakes & Cody

by Courtney on May 17, 2011

Sorry for the not-so-exciting post title…I had nothin’.

Well, it’s been a fairly quiet morning around these parts today. I finished up a variety batch of cupcakes (6 cookie dough, 2 lemon-filled, and 4 raspberry filled with raspberry almond buttercream) to bring somewhere this afternoon,

and spent the rest of the time chillin’ with the Code-man. Can you guys spot his fetch toy? His food dish is actually his favorite spot to store it for some reason. He’s too funny.

And have I ever told you guys what a lazy bum my little man is? This is actually how he eats his food. He paws it out of the dish, a few cookies at a time, and then eats it off the floor.

Jay has tried numerous times to “train” him otherwise, but it just isn’t happenin’. He’s like an old man stuck in his ways. Smile

Who’s always got to be right in the middle of the action

It wouldn’t be a lunch time photo without Cody in the background!

I was feeling indecisive about lunch today, so I went with a combo that never lets me down.

Mixed veggies + hommus

And a Chobani + strawberries + blueberries bowl (which was also loaded with granola and Kashi Go Lean Crunch post photo)

These berries right here make me so happy. I swear, I could eat these babies every day. I’m so happy they’re starting to taste really good right now.

Now I’m headed out for a potentially exciting afternoon…

Catch ya on the flip side!

Question for the Afternoon:

Which foods do you really enjoy once they’re “in season?”

Do you wait to buy them when they’re in season, or do you eat them all year round?

1 Lauren May 17, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Apples! I love them ALL year round.
Lauren recently posted..The Perfect Appetizer -Brie Bruschetta Topped with Balsamic Reduction

2 Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission May 17, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I love that about summer time. I can eat berries of all kind by the pound & they taste better than candy! That is so funny about your cat. My dog will pick up her dog food & drop it on the floor a couple feet away from her food bowl & eat it there.

3 Angela May 17, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Peaches! I won’t eat them until they’re in season, and only Palisade peaches will do (I’m from Colorado, they’re famous around these parts)!

4 Allison May 17, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I wait to buy strawberries and blueberries! And – Rainier cherries – oh, those are good :) They’re so expensive, even when they’re “in season” :) and I suppose tomatoes, too – I love getting great tomatoes for a buck/lb. – mmm. Now I’m hungry!
Allison recently posted..Dad’s in Town

5 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) May 17, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I love bloobs especially the Costco ones but its so $$ in the winter!! The bag is like $17 :o Hopefully it’ll go back down to $7 which is what I use to pay for it

6 Melissa May 17, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I definitely go for fruit in season–strawberries and cantaloupe just aren’t as good in December! I look forward to strawberries and sweet corn in the summer. Plus, I love that in-season produce is so much cheaper!

7 Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries May 17, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I get super excited for when pomegranates are in season, usually best around November. They are always big, red, and delicious! By January they start to turn into sad poms :( Therefore in the Fall I eat at least two a week to savor them until they are out of season all over again!
Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries recently posted..A Week in Pictures

8 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun May 17, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Mango! it’s really only good a few months out of the year so I eat soooo much of it during that time. Delicious!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Winners- Features- &amp Runs

9 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 17, 2011 at 1:38 pm

HAHA Cody is the cutest thing. I love it when cats stick their paws out at something to grab it. The expressions on their faces are priceless. And I’d think pawing the food out of the bowl would take more effort…?

As usual, your cupcakes are gorgeous!

I love when watermelon season comes around. It’s definitely not good in the winter, so I make sure to eat plenty during the summer :)
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Macau- At Last

10 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) May 17, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I laughed so hard about Cody pawwing his food out of his dish hahahahaha! My cat Pebbles will lay beside her water dish and drink water :) its so cute. I can’t help but laugh and love her. The funny thing is, saying that makes her sound like a fattie, but shes not by any means… she just likes to be comfortable :)

Could you send me some cupcakes please? They look to die for.

11 Liz @ Tip Top Shape May 17, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Oh wow, those cookie dough cupcakes are so pretty!!!!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Funfetti Cookies

12 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries May 17, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I eat apples all year round but I wait for blueberries! Believe it or not, I don’t really like strawberries. They don’t do anything for me! They’re pretty though :)

13 Julia May 17, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Watermelons! The ultimate summer food, and one of my favorite fruits (hence the blog title). I typically wait for summer for them though because that’s when they taste the best and go on sale.

I eat apples like there’s no tomorrow all year round though.
Julia recently posted..A Smiling Dinner -

14 Alexa @ Simple Eats May 17, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Your cupcakes always look gorgeous! And Cody is so freaking adorable!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Trix are For Kids

15 Alyssa Kuminski May 17, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Strawberries and peaches are my favorite foods to eat in season!
Alyssa Kuminski recently posted..Sweet Surprise

16 Karis' Kitchen May 17, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Ha, my cat Chianti eats the same way as Cody, while his brother Merlot dives head-first into the food bowl, barely coming up for air.

17 Courtney May 17, 2011 at 4:41 pm

LOL :-P

18 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 17, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Hahaha, I love how lazy Cody is! Too funny!

Those cupcakes look great – I could go for one right now. :)

19 Shayla May 17, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Thankfully bananas are all year round, I eat one everyday! I wait to buy berries until they’re in season because they’re so expensive, I find it to be a waste of money to buy them when they’re not tasting too good…I want my money well spent on delicious tasting berries!

20 Katy (The Singing Runner) May 17, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Those cupcakes look too adorable! Love them! ;)

I LOVE strawberries and blueberries!!!! They are the bomb.com! :D
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..I Have A Box

21 sara @ the foodie diaries May 17, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Awww Cody is such a little muffin! He’s adorable :)
sara @ the foodie diaries recently posted..Life as a Graduate

22 Bethany May 17, 2011 at 3:28 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE peaches when they are in season. I order them from a place in South Carolina, the absolute BEST peaches around!! Watermelon is another good one, and honeycrisp apples! YUM! I also had yogurt for lunch, and kashi honey sunshine!!

23 Kim May 17, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I love all your cupcakes! You make this pregnant lady crave all things cake!
Kim recently posted..Snacking in Safety

24 Stephanie @cookinfanatic May 17, 2011 at 3:30 pm

fresh, ripe summer tomatoes!!! I can’t wait for them again this year, fresh from the farmers market, sliced and sprinkled w/ sea salt & pepper — ooo there is nothing better! love love love them.
Stephanie @cookinfanatic recently posted..Sweet Potato &amp Green Pea Lasagna-Wanna-Be!

25 Erica May 17, 2011 at 3:35 pm

strawberries!!!!

26 Alexis May 17, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and apples!! I only buy apples all year round the others I usually wait for summer time
Alexis recently posted..Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal

27 Cara May 17, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Your lunch looks awesome! That is pretty much my ideal lunch!

28 Anna @ ciaotochow May 17, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I’m a huge sucker for fresh, in-season raspberries. And strawberries I can pick myself — and put right into my mouth :) While I think they taste the best in the summer, sometimes I’ll treat myself to them in the middle of February…the worst time of the year when I need a little sunshine in my life!

29 Mandee May 17, 2011 at 5:52 pm

i wait for blackberries to come in season!! i either wait or i snag them on sale… ps love the cupcakes!!! they look super yum!
Mandee recently posted..Peanut Butter Surprise Birthday

30 Courtney May 17, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Thank You! :)

31 Brenda @Year 25 May 17, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Peaches, only in season. They’re mealy otherwise- YUCK!
Brenda @Year 25 recently posted..Week 17- Asparagus Season!!!!

32 Mac May 17, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I usually buy foods all year round, but try to limit my purchasing of those that are out of season. So excited for all the in season veggies at the farmer’s market though!
Mac recently posted..Cucumber-Orzo Salad &amp Red Velvet Whoopie Pie Recipes

33 Brooke May 17, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Strawberries & Watermelon! :-)

Caffeine and I have such a strong bond! It used to be an excessive relationship…at one point I got up to 6 cups a day, and I would be tired! At that point, I tried to stop, but I couldn’t…the second day without it, my legs were restless and were in so much pain from withdrawls and the headaches…ohh my gosh the headaches! I’m down to 1-2 cups a day…but even now, I can’t go a day without it otherwise the headaches kick in. I’m fine with it now though; it’s a nice little morning ritual! :-)

34 Danica May 17, 2011 at 8:29 pm

One of my favorite things about summer is honestly the fresh fruit! Minnesota doesn’t exactly have fresh produce year round, so I completely take advantage of it all when it’s in season–strawberries and raspberries are my absolute favorites!

35 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out May 17, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Peaches, peaches, PEACHES!!! In Alabama and Georgia, nothing is better than a summer peach. I WILL NOT eat them out of season or from anywhere else in the country. And I will eat 2-3 a day when they are in season. I can’t WAIT!

36 Kate May 17, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I love peaches and nectarines and they’re just never that good out of season so I love the summer months when they’re available fresh, ripe and juicy. My mouth is watering just thinking about them.
Kate recently posted..hmp- grilled cheddar and apple

37 Khushboo May 17, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Living in Mumbai, I have no choice but to eat seasonally- if it ain’t in season, it aint available! Suits me fine as no chance of getting bored…although I am sad strawberry season is overrr!
Khushboo recently posted..Blondes have more fun

38 Lauren May 17, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Peaches and strawberries. I wait for them to be in season because 1) I can’t find peaches unless they’re in season and 2) strawberries are way too expensive when they’re not in season. In a perfect world they would always be in season!
Lauren recently posted..Vacation Highlights- New Orleans Food

39 Jen May 18, 2011 at 12:25 am

I am drooling while looking at the photos of your chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes. I think I am going to make them, but they will never look as good as yours! Also, your cat is adorable. My brother had a cat named Cody, and my parents have a lab/golden mix named Cody. The name holds a very special place in my heart!
Also, melons like watermelon and honeydew are my favorite seasonal fruits. I only buy them in the summer.
Jen recently posted..Road Blocks

40 Laura Fredlund May 18, 2011 at 12:53 am

ugh your lunch looks SOOOOOO good!! do you make your own hummus? If so how do you make it?
Laura Fredlund recently posted..GOOD MORNING -

41 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 8:19 am

I actually do not…YET ;)

42 Laura Fredlund May 18, 2011 at 12:55 am

BTW I must say, I found your blog when you guest posted for Julie at PBF. She’s like, my favorite blog to read… and your easily in my favorites now too! I just admire your healthy eating and active life bc i’m trying to be better with that too. lol you ladies inspire me!
Laura Fredlund recently posted..GOOD MORNING -

43 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 8:19 am

Thanks, Laura!! :)

44 Annmarie May 18, 2011 at 1:36 am

My cat loves to store things in her food/water bowl too! When she was a kitten she would steal any socks as she could find and put them in her bowl…

45 Andreea @ Journey To USA May 18, 2011 at 3:17 am

Hi, there! I’m new around here, but I already like you enough to add your blog on Favorites.

Like you, I love cats and I love even more fresh fruits. Apples are probably the best when it comes to seasons and price cause you can buy them all year round. I may have eaten trucks of them. \

strawberries are my true love and like some affairs it sometimes leaves me in tears and broke.
Andreea @ Journey To USA recently posted..Her Post- The Day I Had My Soul On Wheels

46 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 8:21 am

Hi Andreea! Thanks :)

47 ellalinea May 18, 2011 at 7:32 am

I usually buy my fruit in season (exept apples-banana)

I really like any kind of berries and cherries, pineapples, litchies and mandarines ( these are the best around november-december)
ellalinea recently posted..Recipe- Tomato Hummus pasta

48 Heather May 18, 2011 at 8:57 am

FYI- last night 5 v. nice gentlemen and I had a discussion about you. and cupcakes. and deliciousness. :)
Heather recently posted..You Should Know

49 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 9:30 am

Teeeehehehe :)

50 CaSaundra May 19, 2011 at 9:06 am

Your cupcakes look divine like usual! What tip do you use for the pink ones? Loving that swirl!

51 Courtney May 19, 2011 at 9:43 am

Thanks! It’s just a large round tip…I think it was second from the biggest I could find ;)

52 Sarah May 19, 2011 at 9:29 am

cupcake are a PASSION of mine and I just love how cute yours are! The cookie dough ones remind me of a big bowl of cookie dough ice cream! Love the swirls too :)
Sarah recently posted..Home Sweet Home