My Very First VLOG!

by Courtney on May 18, 2011

Alright, so talk about stepping outside my comfort zone

I contemplated.

I listened.

You wanted my makeup routine? You got it!

I finally went for it.

And then spent my entire afternoon today trying to convert the file and actually upload it. Sheesh.

So now…four hours later, I am happy to present to you…my very first VLOG!

Please forgive the fact that the sound and video are a little off…I was done trying to fix things by this point!

Just promise you won’t laugh *too* much, ok? Winking smile

*Edited to add:

Just in case you got bored and didn’t feel like watching the rest (*wink wink*) here’s a list of all the makeup products that I use, in the order you see them mentioned:

Foundation: bareMinerals original foundation, in medium beige

Bronzer: NARS Laguna bronzing powder

Blush: Laura Mercier Second Skin Cheek Color in Rose Bloom

Eyebrow Pencil: Cover Girl Brow & Eye Pencil in soft brown

Eyebrow Shadow: Maybelline ExpertWear Shadow in Champagne Fizz (#30)

Eye Shadow: Urban Decay in Smog & Sin

Mascara: Cover Girl Lash Blast Fusion in Very Black

Eyeliner: Sephora & Maybelline brands

Concealer: Prescriptives Site Unseen Brightening Concealer in Level 3 Warm

Brushes: Sephora & Bare Essentials

Hopefully you guys enjoy!

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I think I need a glass of wine and a break from the computer for now. Holy cow.

Question for the Afternoon:

What kind of a makeup routine (if any) do you have? Any tips or tricks to share?

1 AL May 18, 2011 at 5:18 pm

You are even more adorable on camera then in pictures! (didn’t think it was possible :D)

2 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) May 18, 2011 at 5:19 pm

AYYAYAYAYAYAYA YOU ARE SO FREAKING GORGEOUS_- LIKE SERIOUSLY.. wow.. so PRETTY!!!
I USE BareMinerals!! is that the same as Bare Essentials?! sounds and looks similar! i JUST posted my makeup routine in a vlog on my blog today! no joke!

3 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Hahaha, great minds think alike! Yours is so great! :)

4 Ruthie Hart May 18, 2011 at 5:42 pm

You are so beautiful! I have always wanted to try Bare Minerals but never got around to it. Have you always used it? I wear a liquid base and loose powder, was it weird to start using it? Thanks girl!

5 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I’ve been using it for at least a few years now and I LOVE it! You can barely feel it on…I like it SO MUCH better than a liquid :)

6 Merrie@ Strawberrylaces May 18, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I love bare minerals too! They make your skin amazingly natural looking and feeling. Great video! I’d have been so nervous too, but you pulled it off like a pro :-D
Merrie@ Strawberrylaces recently posted..That Looks Horrble… and Tastes AH-mazing

7 alex May 18, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Love the video! My mom harasses me about blending too and when I lived at home would rub my face herself pretty much every day.
alex recently posted..Death By Yeast

8 Ericka May 18, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Loved the vlog Courtney. I’ve never actually watched what anyone else does! Actually, on the swirl, tap and blow — I realized my problem is that I always leave out the blow with my bronzer. Simple fix! Also, on the applying eye shadow a bit under the lower lashes — love that!
Ericka recently posted..Honor Flight- The Greatest Generations Last Wish

9 Heather @ Girlyeverafter May 18, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Your Vlog was so great! I am in school to be an esthetician/makeup artist and once I get a new camera I will be doing makeup how tos as well. I would ignore the people that told you you were doing your makeup wrong. It’s all in what you like. I would suggest for your brows instead of a pencil use a brush with an eyebrow shadow. I over tweezed when I was younger too and now I use Smashbox Brow Tech Trio with an angled brush. That way you don’t have the harsh line or have to use the shadow. Your beautiful though and do what you feel best with!
Heather @ Girlyeverafter recently posted..Black Bean and Lentil Chili

10 gabriella @ embracement May 18, 2011 at 5:53 pm

You’re so cute! Loved the vlog. I use practically all of the same products!

11 TheBloggeresBrother May 18, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Definitely saving this page in my bookmarks

12 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 6:21 pm

You would… ;)

13 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine May 18, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I love vlogs!! My makeup routine is totally not “right” either. But hey…works for me, and that’s all that matters!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Fresco

14 Floey May 18, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Next up — cupcake baking tutorial !!!
Loved the vlog girl! :) I hope you continue doing them!

15 Khushboo May 19, 2011 at 3:11 am

I second!
Khushboo recently posted..Blondes have more fun

16 Stephanie May 18, 2011 at 6:12 pm

LOVED your vlog! Lots of helpful tips!
On a separate note, I love your hair color and have been trying to find a similar shade of brown…by any chance, do you know the name of the color you use?

Thank you!

17 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Well, my mom actually does my hair, so hopefully she’ll be reading this sometime soon…
Mom, what color am I?? ;)

18 pat May 19, 2011 at 8:36 pm

you my dear are a combination of 4 different colors in the Shades EQ line from Redken!

19 Katherine May 18, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I can not wait to start following you. I will add you to my blogroll as well :)
Katherine recently posted..Whaaattt!!

20 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Thanks! :)

21 Taryn May 18, 2011 at 6:33 pm

You should list all the products you use!!! Great job!

22 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Great idea! I may have to edit those in :)

23 Taryn May 19, 2011 at 8:15 am

Awesome! Thank you…I’m now on a mission today for bronzer-I’ve never used it but after watching your VLOG-I’m gonna give it a shot! =)
Taryn recently posted..Prom 2011- Monticello

24 Courtney May 19, 2011 at 8:30 am

Awesome! Good Luck :)

25 Paige May 18, 2011 at 6:38 pm

For once, a blogger that sounds exactly like I tthought they would sound like! Cute vid.

26 Caitlin @ Southern Curls & Pearls May 18, 2011 at 7:02 pm

You are adorable, Courtney! I LOVE the vlog, you had some really great tips. I use bare minerals as well and I love it. You should be proud of yourself for going outside your comfort zone and should definitely do more vlogs now! :)
Caitlin @ Southern Curls & Pearls recently posted..Splurge versus Steal

27 Kristen @ The Red Velvet Life May 18, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Great makeup tips, Courtney! I love the super cute vlog! I use Bobbi Brown spf 15 foundation, but I might go back to Bare Minerals at some point…used to use it and I loved it! I’ve been looking for a good bronzer, so I’m excited to try NARS.

Oh, and I leave my mouth open when I put mascara on, too. ;-)
Kristen @ The Red Velvet Life recently posted..Tomato Basil Cashew Cream Pasta &amp Kale Chips

28 Alexis May 18, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I loved this!!! Great vlog I loved the make up you used too! I’ve been looking for a new bronzer and I’m excited to try the NARS
Alexis recently posted..this afternoon

29 Brenda May 18, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Wonderful!!! I can’t wait for your hair blog!

30 Brenda May 18, 2011 at 7:20 pm

*vlog

31 Emmarie May 18, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I LOVE this. Make up is a big thing for me, and I love that other people take such an interest in it too!
Emmarie recently posted..Gettin started…

32 Charlie May 18, 2011 at 7:36 pm

My best friend is diorshow waterproof mascara. I tried to find cheap one to save some money but never found one that I loved and ended up paying a lot for cheap mascara :P. My eyelashes are already REALLY curly so no need for a eyelash curler! I also love guerlain bronzer and meteorite powder, but my quick makeup is only concealer, eyeliner and mascara.
My friend had a liquid brush concealer and I loved it. It is my next makeup purchase :).
Charlie recently posted..Monster Cookies

33 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) May 18, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Ha, so I always thought it was called a vee-log… had no idea it was just.. vlog!

I love the video… I really should take makeup tips from you. My makeup routine is so minimal – prob about 1 minute tops!
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Tarragon Lemon Lentil Burgers

34 Danica May 18, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Thanks for doing this!
Question-what do you do for your makeup removal and facial cleansing/care routine? This is where I always seem to struggle…

35 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I was going to include that today, but actually figured it was long enough already. I’ll be sure to do that, too! That’ll be a quick one ;)

36 Danica May 18, 2011 at 9:34 pm

That would be great! Thanks :)

37 Jen May 18, 2011 at 7:51 pm

That vlog was great!! You did such a good job :) It makes me want to go out any buy everything you use! I sent it to my friend too who loves make up and different techniques.

38 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Awesome! Thanks, Jen :)

39 Jen May 18, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Oh! I love how you said you don’t like the word “moist”. In our house it is just referred to as the “M” word. Something is “very M word” I dislike that word so much lol

40 Grace May 18, 2011 at 7:56 pm

You are too cute! I have a very simple makeup routine-nothing fancy for me!
Grace recently posted..Mother’s Day Tea

41 Tessa @ Amazing Asset May 18, 2011 at 8:12 pm

This is my first time commenting but I had to for this post! Thank you so much for this routine, this is pretty sad but I am a makeup newbie and am always looking for new tips!
I know how to do eye make up, but for my skin ehh not so much
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..Hot Soup For You Recipe!

42 Samantha May 18, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Great vlog Courtney! You’re just as adorable on video as you are in pictures and when you write!

My makeup routine is similar to yours – but I have to include concealer under my eyes (Chronic dark circles) and to cover blemishes (hopefully one day I’ll grow out of them?). I do switch my makeup depending on what I’m wearing though – and I wear a lot of browns on my eyes, it really makes blue eyes pop!
Samantha recently posted..Day 2

43 Shanna, like Banana May 18, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Too funny, I think we do everything in the opposite order: I curl lashes, then do eyeliner (on inside of eye like you!), mascara, then moisturizer, concealer, foundation, bronzer, blush. But the only time I wear that much makeup is once a month or so. I usually don’t use foundation, concealer, or bronzer for every day.

Cute!

44 Nancy May 18, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I don’t know what you did “wrong” when you did your makeup. Hmm.. what DO you do that people think is wrong?

I’m so glad you put it up even if the video wasn’t synched correctly. I always like seeing people on video! I’m addicted now and I make tons! lol My favorite bronzer is Hoola by Benefit I think it’s on par with laguna, however it doesn’t have the shimmer like Nars Laguna has.

A lot of people I watch on Youtube put their concealer on after everything as well – mainly because you get fall out from your eyeshadow, etc. So it’s the smart way!! :)

45 Melissa May 18, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Oh my goodness! Precious! And gorgeous! Love!
Melissa recently posted..It’s All Greek to Me

46 Jess May 18, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I SO want to try bare minerals!!

thanks for the comment letting me know that this was the correct link to your blog :)
Jess recently posted..Update Progress Pictures!!

47 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 18, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I loved this. I feel like I’m not good at makeup at all, so this was really helpful!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food phases

48 dena b May 18, 2011 at 9:53 pm

what a great debute…you are really fun to watch, plus I picked up a great tip on the making a smokey eye..thanks Courtney

49 Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) May 18, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I just did my fist log too and it took me a solid 3 hours to finally get it online. It’s such a pain but I like it a lot. You are adorable and I can’t wait to see more!
Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) recently posted..Part 2- Staying Active in College

50 Alexa @ SimpleEats May 18, 2011 at 10:39 pm

This is awesome. I love this! Glad you stepped out of your comfort zone :)
Alexa @ SimpleEats recently posted..First WIAW

51 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign May 18, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I loved this! I can’t wait to try out your blush technique! I use eyeliner on the rims of my eyes too and my eye dr always gives me grief for it too. Oh well…it works better on the rims.
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Wedding Details

52 Honey @ Honey, What's Cooking May 18, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Oh my god, Courtney you are so freakin’ pretty man, it’s sick someone can be so pretty. :-) I made a comment on your blog a couple months ago about your honeymoon pics in Aruba, i was curious about your blush and it turns out it was a bronzer. Did you know that Audrina from the hills also uses this bronzer. I just purchaesd it and will definitely give you credit on my blog. Thanks girl! YOu are awesome for doing this. I didn’t even laugh, I was in awe with your beauty.
Honey @ Honey, What’s Cooking recently posted..Mushroom Masala aur Lal Mirch Subzi Mushroom Masala sauté with Red Bell Peppers

53 Mandee May 19, 2011 at 12:46 am

My beauty tip is… I know this sounds crazy but… The best concealor I have EVER tried (and I’ve tried sooooo many, including $40/tube kinds) is Hard Candy’s Glamoflauge only available at walmart. I bought it in a pinch bc I was going out and had run out of my usual… Walmart or drug stores are all that’s within 10 min of me. Well I am so glad I tried it! It’s very pigmented so you only have to use a teeny tiny dot each time.. And I’m covering up a lot of hyperpigmentation throughout my face. This stuff covers EVERYTHING! And it lasts! St Patricks day we were out and about, dancing and sweating up a storm, then walking in the rain… Checked my makeup at the end of the day and it was still on. That never happens! I would compare this concealor to Amazing Cosmetics’ concealor… Which is the best and most expesive concealor I ever bought. Glamoflauge is like $6! And comes with a concealing pencil. You cannot beat that.

So yeah I definitely recommend this to anyone who has discoloration they try to conceal. The bad thing is it only comes in 3 shades and walmart tends to run out of stock for long periods of time… But lucky for me I’m pale as a ghost in the winter, so the lightest shade works perfectly… And this one tube will last forever!

Oh and lash blast fusion rocks! My fav is diorshow iconic, but lash blast fusion is by far the best drug store brand. Ive tried them all too! Hahaha! Thanks for the fun post!

54 Mandee May 19, 2011 at 12:48 am

Omg I must be delirious. I can’t believe I just left a comment a mile long. That’s what happens when you type on your phone and can’t scroll back up to reread what you wrote! Sorry! I must really love that concealor!

55 Parita May 19, 2011 at 7:07 am

You are so pretty! And this was really helpful…thanks!
Parita recently posted..Good Things Come in Threes!

56 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 19, 2011 at 7:55 am

I don’t have much of a routine since sometimes I wear makeup and other times I don’t. My tip would be to just keep it light! I personally prefer natural looking makeup :)
Tori (Fresh Fruition) recently posted..A Weekend of Firsts

57 CK May 19, 2011 at 8:10 am

Ok – so I think you are made for television. You should apply for the CBS6 opening: http://www.hound.com/job/News-Anchor-Morning-in-Albany,-NY-81010884e5a0354762438849e645aba84a8b21

58 Courtney May 19, 2011 at 8:31 am

Hahaha, no way! That would be so fun…but I don’t have the right bachelor’s degree or experience :(
I’d be such a goofball!

59 Lauren May 19, 2011 at 9:30 am

Courtney, just to let you know, the Bare Minerals Buxom line actually makes a type of eyeliner that’s designed to go in your inner rim. It comes in all different colors and goes on really smooth. Just thought you might want to know!

60 Courtney May 19, 2011 at 9:39 am

No way! Thanks for the heads up :-D

61 Shayla May 19, 2011 at 12:42 pm

You are too cute and absolutely gorgeous Courtney!! Love your voice too, you should be a news anchor! ;)

I use bare minerals too and absolutely love it…and I want to give your bronzer and blush a try, I love the way it looks on you and I think we have similar skin tones so I want to give it a go. In another post can you list the name of all the makeup products you used? And I’m with you on riming my inner eyelids….it makes our eyes pop for us brown-eyed girls ;)

Thanks so much again for doing a vlog! You’re absolutely adorable and gorgeous and I hope you do another one soon! Maybe one on how you do your hair…I like the way it was done in this vlog!

62 Maria May 19, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Hi Courtney,
I’ve been following your blog for quite some time now, but this is my first time commenting. Your Vlog is too cute and you are one beautiful girl:) You keep us so interested in what’s next each day…..oh, and I love to read “TheBloggersBrother” comments…you guys are too cute!

Also, NO you are not the only one that opens their mouth when putting on mascara….I can’t seem to close my mouth during that step either:)

63 Courtney May 19, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Hi Maria! Your comment is so sweet…I absolutely LOVE it! Thanks so much for reading, AND commenting! I always love hearing from my readers…especially the “quiet” ones. ;)

64 colleen @ thegiftofmondays May 19, 2011 at 5:23 pm

LOVED the vlog and the makeup tips. i’m one of those people who could just sit in a salon all day because i love to watch what other people do to get their hair or makeup to look a certain way so your vid was right up my alley. i keep wanting to try bare essentials/bare minerals (are they the same??) and reading all the comments just proves i really need too since it seems everyone loves it. have fun on your trip!!!

65 Courtney May 19, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Yes, I’m pretty sure they are the same thing. Thanks! :)

66 Mac May 19, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Nice Vlog! Thanks for the make-up tips :)
Mac recently posted..Cucumber-Orzo Salad &amp Red Velvet Whoopie Pie Recipes

67 Kristen May 19, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I love vlogs! and you did a good job. I will say, I dont use as much makeup as you, but with a 5 year old I dont have more than a few seconds haha

68 Holly May 20, 2011 at 8:03 pm

OMG, Court- LOVE your vlog!!
YOU ROCK! Totally cannot tell you are nervous! You rocked it :)
Holly recently posted..E-Reader For Me!

69 Courtney May 20, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Hahaha, thanks Holly!

70 Caroline May 22, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I love your vlog! your blog is definitely one of my favorites to read by far!!!
Caroline recently posted..Random Scattering of Pictures

71 Courtney May 22, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Thank you so much, Caroline! :)

72 Kristine May 25, 2011 at 9:35 am

Yay! Thank you for doing this. This is great and informative. You are so pretty, and I kind of want to make a trip to Albany to get make up tips from your mom now, she seems great! :)