Chocolate Surprise Cookies

by Courtney on May 19, 2011

Alright, so I’m kind of doing 1,001 things tonight to get ready for tomorrow’s trip…I get frazzled easily when traveling if you couldn’t already tell. So I think tonight is as good a time as any to leave you guys with a little cookie recipe.

You don’t mind, right?

Recently, I made a guest appearance over on Liz’s blog that I want to share with you all. Liz and I both share quite the affinity for good food…especially when it’s on the sweet side, so it was a no-brainer that a sweet treat was in order.

I actually had quite a tough time trying to decide what I wanted to bake up for my guest post. Since cupcakes of all kinds have been circulating around here…Chocolate PB Cup, Neapolitan with Ice Cream Frosting, Jelly-Filled Doughnut cupcakes…I figured it was time for a break from the cupcakes. Enter:

Chocolate Surprise Cookies

I came across this recipe in my Martha Stewart Cookie cookbook recently and was instantly intrigued by the whole thing. So what better time to give ‘em a try, right? If you like chocolate, more chocolate, and gooey marshmallow, than this recipe is definitely for you. Even if you don’t…keep reading. You just may change your mind.

******

First, begin by sifting together your dry ingredients, and set them aside.

IMG_3063IMG_3065

Next, beat together your butter and sugar until nice and fluffy.

Add in your egg,

your milk,

and your vanilla, and mix well.

Next, add in your dry ingredients mixture, about ½ cup at a time.

Once you’ve got your dough combined,

use a medium ice cream/cookie scoop to drop dough onto your parchment-lined baking sheet.

While the cookies are baking, use this time to cut your marshmallows, in half, crosswise.

As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, press a marshmallow half into each one and allow to cook an additional 2 minutes.

Once the cookies are completely cooled, it’s time to make the frosting. In a microwave-safe bowl (or on the stove top) melt together your butter and cocoa powder.

Next, add the melted butter to your confectioners’ sugar, add your milk,

and whisk together until combined.

Spread about 1 tablespoon of frosting on top of each cookie to cover marshmallow. Try your best to allow them to settle, about 10 minutes…

But then you’re free to dig in!

The combination of the moist, chewy cookie, gooey marshmallow center, and sweet creamy frosting is an absolute winner. They were a huge hit for me, Jay, and my softball team, so hopefully they will be the same for you. ENJOY! Smile

I think next time, I might try adding a little caramel up in there with that marshmallow…what do ya think? Winking smile

1 Chelsea May 19, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Yummy yummy in my tummy!! These look so good!! I need an event to make them for asap!
    Chelsea recently posted..BBQ Chicken and Slaw

2 Lauren May 19, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Those look fantastic! I cannot wait to make them :)
    Lauren recently posted..A Weekend to Remember and A Recipe to LOVE

3 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 19, 2011 at 6:23 pm

That icing looks super yummy dripping down :D I want some chocolate now…
    Tori (Fresh Fruition) recently posted..A Weekend of Firsts

4 Merrie@ Strawberrylaces May 19, 2011 at 6:26 pm

These look amazing! And I agree with Tori, the frosting looks like a winner to me. Have fun on your trip tomorrow! Safe travels :-)
    Merrie@ Strawberrylaces recently posted..That Looks Horrble… and Tastes AH-mazing

5 Tessa @ Amazing Asset May 19, 2011 at 6:47 pm

OH Wow, these look perfect! I am hosting a small get together with my family tomorrow and these are now part of the dessert menu :)
    Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..Hot Soup For You Recipe!

6 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 19, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I am working late tonight and I so wish I had a pile of these sitting next to me RIGHT NOW :-) Yeah girl- add the caramel. Get a lil crazay!
    Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Carbs vs Chocolate- A Sticky Situation

7 Liz @ Tip Top Shape May 19, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Mmm, these look amazing!!! It’s funny, when I first read this I was like–I haven’t had any guest posts on my blog! lol Silly me, not realizing that others share my name. lol
    Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Funfetti Cookies

8 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out May 19, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Those look ridiculously AWESOME!
    Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Pity Party Day

9 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 19, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I’m in love with those cookies – seriously, they look amazing. I hope you have safe and easy travels!!
    chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food phases

10 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) May 19, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Love the marshmallow surprise inside, yum! Umm you are seriously the next Martha, hands down ;)

11 Melissa May 19, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Caramel? Yes! Or a little piece of graham cracker to make them like s’mores??? YUMMY!
    Melissa recently posted..It’s All Greek to Me

12 Courtney May 19, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Ooooooo, I LIKE that!

13 Krissie J May 19, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I printed out the recipe! These are definitely going to make an appearance at work. :)

I see you, too, have a KitchenAid mixer. I love mine to pieces!
    Krissie J recently posted..The Market is Back!

14 Katherine May 19, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Please. Please. Please make a vegan version and send to me right away. Please.
    That is all….
    Katherine recently posted..Whaaattt!!

15 Grace May 19, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Ohhh these look so yummy!
    Grace recently posted..Mother’s Day Tea

16 Khushboo May 20, 2011 at 12:45 am

Ohhh kinda like a rocky road cookie! Me liked…a lot!
    Khushboo recently posted..Blondes have more fun

17 Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 20, 2011 at 1:24 am

HOLY amazingness.. those look incredible!
    Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..My Favorite Posts &amp An Update

18 McKenzie May 20, 2011 at 10:54 am

oh my gosh! i have to make these….

and everything is better with caramel!
    McKenzie recently posted..Chicken Marsala

19 Amy May 20, 2011 at 4:16 pm

oh my goodness those look amazing!!! i love marshmallows….and chocolate..mmm ;)

20 Laura August 10, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Made these today! So good!