Fun At Fitbloggin’

by Courtney on May 21, 2011

And the fun continues!

Last night, many of us let loose and had a great time boozin’ socializing at the Sears Social Hour.

At this point I was pretty darn exhausted, so it was either grab a drink or pass out with a nap. Obviously I chose the drink. Winking smile

A glass of Sauvignon Blanc, to be exact, which was light, refreshing, and wonderful.

I had a great time chatting it up with some awesome ladies, like Gabriela,

Tina, and Amanda,

and also getting to know some new friends, like Theodora.

After everyone enjoyed their free drink, a group of us headed off to dinner at local seafood restaurant called Mo’s.

Seeing as though I was in Maryland, I felt compelled to order some crab cakes. When in Rome, right?

So I ordered the Backfin Crab Cakes, which completely blew me away with their enormous size…

Call me crazy, but I had thought that crab cakes were usually more flat and pancake-like? My crab cakes came with some steamed veggies and fresh rolls, both of which were great.

My crab cakes, however, we’re all that fantastic. Since I’m not one to usually order them on a menu, I had to ask a few of my fellow dinner pals whether or not it was normal to have pieces of shells in my crab cakes…like, a pretty noticeable amount of crunchiness was going on.

Turns out, it’s not really the norm, and a few people were also disappointed with the amount of extra “filling” that was present, rather than big chunks of crab. For $21.99, I definitely did not feel like I got my money’s worth. It was a bit of a bummer, and I probably ended up eating about half before calling it quits.

Luckily, I had no time to let it bother me since I was in such great company. Smile

image

As the night was winding down, I began feeling more like a zombie than anything else. I was fast approaching the 20-hour mark on being awake, and I’m sorry, but I am just not good on minimal sleep. So by the time I got back to our room, I’m pretty sure I was asleep before my head hit the pillow. Phew…

I’m in the middle of a session right now, so time to get back to taking some notes!

Question for the Day:

Do you like crab cakes? Where’s the best crab cake you ever had?

1 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) May 21, 2011 at 10:05 am

Crab cakes = one of the best things about living in DC. Awesome, local crab cakes all summer.

I totally saw you at the social last night but we didn’t get the chance to chat. Come find me! :)
Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) recently posted..Hi- I’m Erin

2 Brittany May 21, 2011 at 10:14 am

So many great times! Those crab cakes were delicious and huge! So glad to have met you this weekend :)
Brittany recently posted..Fitbloggin short recap

3 Marykate Sinnott May 21, 2011 at 10:37 am

Atlantic Fish on Boylston Street in Boston. Best. Crab cakes. Ever.
(and I don’t usually eat crab cakes!)
Marykate Sinnott recently posted..More Peanut Butter Goodness

4 Mandee May 21, 2011 at 10:49 am

I’ve had really disappointing crab cakes right on the beach in maryland.. isn’t it a bummer?

I’d have to say the very best ones that I’ve had were in Santa Monica at a steak house. All lump crab meat, hardly any filler. So great!

But other than that it looks like you are having a blast!! Enjoy your weekend!
Mandee recently posted..Peanut Butter Surprise Birthday

5 Lauren May 21, 2011 at 10:50 am

I had crab for the first time last weekend – it was pretty good. I’ve never had crab cakes before though :)
Lauren recently posted..A Brunch Recipe – Apple Cinnamon Pancakes with Creamy Peanut Butter Dip

6 Merrie@ Strawberrylaces May 21, 2011 at 10:58 am

Aw, sorry your crab cake experience was so rough! Coming from a family of crab connoisseurs I can tell you that they are normally freakin’ fantastic. Bummer! Sounds like your company more than made up for it though!
Merrie@ Strawberrylaces recently posted..Comfort Food

7 Khushboo May 21, 2011 at 11:06 am

I do like crab cakes but don’t tend to order them. I prefer crab in it’s raw form..
Khushboo recently posted..Blondes have more fun

8 Laura May 21, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Courtney,

I am so glad you get to go do something fun and be surrounded by other strong, wonderful women after going through some stressful life events. I am loving reading about your adventures at this years FitBlogger Conference! Major bummer about the crab cakes, though-good crab cakes can be sooo good:)

9 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun May 21, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Yea we need to find some better eats next time!

And that pic of my face all up in the camera is quite attractive. LOL
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Fitbloggin Stinks &amp FFF Features

10 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 21, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I lived in Baltimore last year – I only tried crab cakes once. I’m not the biggest fan of seafood but I had to at least try them since I lived in Maryland. Hope you’re having fun in Baltimore – it’s an interesting city, that’s for sure!
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..The Only Way

11 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 21, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Before when I ate meat, I loved crab cakes. The best ones I had were in Maryland, so I’m sad that those weren’t good for you!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food phases

12 Katie May 21, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Not sure how long you’re in Baltimore…but if you have a little extra time RUN to the Lexington Market and try Faidley’s crabcakes. As a lover of crabcakes and frequent visitor to Maryland’s crabby shores, these are HANDS DOWN the best. You’re welcome!

13 Courtney May 22, 2011 at 11:14 am

Aww, we heard Faidley’s was good, but unfortunately didn’t make it there. Maybe next time! :)

14 Kristi May 22, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I looooovvvveee crab cakes.
There’s a local shop in MD called Thompson’s seafood that has the best crabcakes. The are huge and filled with crab meat and not a lot of filling.