Crab Cakes with Avocado-Mango Salsa

by Courtney on May 23, 2011

Ever since my less-than-stellar experience with crab cakes this past weekend in Maryland, I really haven’t been able to get them off of my mind. I built up all the excitement, only to be let down with shell-laden crab(less) cakes.

So what’s a girl to do??…

She makes her own!

While I was prepping tonight’s dinner, I enjoyed sipping on a little brewski with my friend, Samuel Adams. Perhaps you know him?

Jay mentioned to me yesterday that he enjoyed a couple of these Sam Adams Cherry Wheat beers over the weekend while he was out. But he also said that they were served on tap with a maraschino cherry on the bottom.

Cherries in my beer? Yes please! I’m really liking this beer, and the fact that you can actually smell cherry before even sipping it. It’s my kinda brew.

But anyways, let’s get to the important stuff…crab cakes.

I’ve had a can of crab meat in my cabinet for a while now, and seeing as though I haven’t been able to get the crabby cakes out of my mind, I figured it was a good time to put it to use.

Let me just say…these crab cakes were unbelievably easy to make, require only a few easy, healthy ingredients, and tasted ahhh-mazing…especially when topped with my homemade Avocado-Mango Salsa. They totally put Mo’s crap cakes to shame.

*********

*********

I will tell you that even my shellfish-hesitant hubby gave me the double take when I forced asked him to try a bite. He even gave them a “Wow, these are really good, Courtney” which says a lot. Trust me.

Since I was totally loving the salsa, I made an excuse to have more of it by serving some more on top of a pile of romaine lettuce.

I think I can now say that my need for delicious crab cakes has definitely now been fulfilled.

Me and my belly are very, very satisfied. Smile

Time to go relax for a little bit with the boys…I think I hear them playing fetch as I type!

1 Jamie May 23, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Those look amazing!! I will most definitely be making them for dinner tomorrow! Thanks for the recipe :). I love blue moon just for the orange…adding cherries to that beer sounds so good! Summery meal!
Jamie recently posted..run girl- run

2 HeatherB May 23, 2011 at 8:23 pm

“crap cakes” – that made me laugh out loud! Curious…does your hubby not eat your healthy versions of meals or does he just not like shellfish?? My husband always rolls his eyes when I makeover a meal, even though it’s always delish!! And he knows it ;)

3 Melissa May 23, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Wow, those look fantastic! I love crab cakes, but when I had them in Maryland, they weren’t that great, either! I’ll have to put this recipe in the queue! :)
Melissa recently posted..Beginner’s Luck

4 Bethany May 23, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Oooo I lovvvve Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, have you tried Ithaca Apricot Wheat?
Bethany recently posted..Its Monday

5 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 23, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Bet you’re angry you paid 20 bucks for bad ones! :) Those look great – love mango salsa!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food phases

6 Nancy May 23, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Um. Holy moses. I think I need to print this recipe off and re-create it for tomorrow night’s dinner. OMG Courtney!!!!!

7 Erica May 23, 2011 at 8:50 pm

mmmmm! now you have me craving crab cakes! =)
that looks so refreshing and delicious!

8 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 23, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Cherries in the bottom of beer?! Why, I’ve never heard of such an amazing concept! I love it :-) Your dinner tonight has my mouth watering from the salsa to the crab cakes and the cherry on the top. If I were not STILL at the office, I swear I might get the motivation to make this meal. But alas, looks like another quickie dinner night. I’m filing this one under recipes I must must try!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..A Cupcake Photo Shoot in the Empire State

9 Katherine May 23, 2011 at 9:23 pm

O my! I want some of that amazing salsa!
Katherine recently posted..Very Important Post – Help Needed

10 Jess May 23, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Crab cakes sound SO good right now!!
Jess recently posted..Update Progress Pictures!!

11 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 23, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I NEED that Cherry Wheat beer in my life! I’m such a fan of the Leinenkugel’s Berry Weiss – I bet I’d love this Sam Adams one!

Enjoy your night, Courtney! :)

12 Jardan May 23, 2011 at 10:19 pm

YUMMMM that looks so vibrant, healthy and delicious <3

13 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun May 23, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Crap cakes. Ha! So fitting!

Yours would definitely blow theirs away. These look so good!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Top Ten Things To Take Away From The Fitbloggin ‘11 Conference- Part One

14 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 23, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Avocado-mango salsa sounds so good! Avocados always add the most amazing texture to everything!
Tori (Fresh Fruition) recently posted..A Weekend of Firsts

15 Mac May 23, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I’ve never heard of cherries in beer, but I love putting green olives in my beer. Gives it just a hint of a salty flavor, love it!
Mac recently posted..Grocery Planning

16 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] May 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm

a perfect summer meal — mmm!
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..sunshine in a jar

17 Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 24, 2011 at 12:04 am

We’ve got Sam Adams on tap at work just recently and I’m DYING to try it! And with cherries? Um. amazing…
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Oh Boys… Guest Post

18 Khushboo May 24, 2011 at 12:43 am

So trying these out- I love crab!
Khushboo recently posted..Blondes have more fun

19 RunEatRepeat May 24, 2011 at 1:42 am

I can not get enough crab! I need to make this :)
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Low Calorie Ice Cream

20 Crista May 24, 2011 at 2:13 am

That mango salso looks delicious!!!! I think I may have to whip some up to top my salads with this week!!! YUM
Crista recently posted..LOOK WHAT I FINALLY DID!!

21 Cara May 24, 2011 at 3:15 am

That salsa looks incredible! I’m not a huge crab cake fan, but these look delicious, not too much filling! I will have to try them , perfect for a summer evening and perhaps some fruity drinks :)

22 Gracie May 24, 2011 at 7:44 am

YAY!!! So relieved to see that you’ve had a decent crab cake experience now, phew :) Oh, and when I get married one of these days, I pretty much want to be YOU as a wife (because cereal for dinner when I have a hubs prooobably isn’t going to cut it, haha).

LOVED hanging out with you this weekend. Hopefully we can see each other again some time soon! xoxo G
Gracie recently posted..go bold or go home

23 Hope May 24, 2011 at 9:10 am

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat beer is my absolute favorite beer! It is such a treat! It really does have such a great cherry flavoring to it! Speaking of which, I need to pick up some to enjoy at home :)

I LOVE these crab cakes and I love the avocado-mango salsa! I like that this is such a light and summery dish! I am totally going to make this sometime soon!! :)
Hope recently posted..The Phillies &amp The Cadillac Culinary Challenge…

24 Laura@mypurposefullife May 24, 2011 at 9:17 am

These look amazing! Definitely making up for your poor crab cake experience at Mo’s! As a lover of crab cakes, I most definitely will be making these. Thanks for the recipe!
Laura@mypurposefullife recently posted..What It Takes To Move Forward

25 Christina May 24, 2011 at 11:17 am

I definitely want to try this recipe! I love crab cakes (and avocado!) so it’s right up my alley.

ps, Cherry Wheat is one of my favorite beers. I haven’t seen it on tap anywhere, but the cherry on the bottom is genius!!!
Christina recently posted..Fenway Park!

26 Julie May 24, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Those look amazing! Do you think if I made the mix and only baked two the first night (since it’s just me!) that the rest of the mix would still be ok to bake the last two cakes the next day?

27 Samantha May 24, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Wow, this looks unbelievable! I made your Mango Salsa and put it over spiced talapia a few nights ago and oh. my. gosh, it was soooo good! Love it!

28 Megan@eatmybeets May 24, 2011 at 10:43 pm

mmm I love Sam Adam’s specialty brews! That looks delicious… oh and of course the food looks delicious too! haha
Megan@eatmybeets recently posted..Lentil &amp Bulgur Pilaf with Red Cabbage or Spinach

29 Kaitie May 26, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I may have just drooled over those crab cakes. I will be making these in the near future. I love your blog and all your cupcakes :)
Kaitie recently posted..Granola &amp Good Intentions

30 Courtney May 26, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Thank you!

31 ashallann May 26, 2011 at 10:19 pm

we tried this tonight and it was amazing, sadly only had papaya (no mangoes to be found in Albany) but the flavors still worked. great recipe!
ashallann recently posted..crystal headphones

32 Courtney May 27, 2011 at 7:52 am

Awesome!! I’m so glad you liked them :)