A Proper Celebration

by Courtney on May 25, 2011

Finally. A day without rain and warm, beautiful sunshine. That called for a little happy hour out on the back porch.

I don’t know about you, but come 5:00, hubster and I started our evening started off with a little glass of vino.

In case you weren’t already aware, I love me a glass of vino.

What?

C’mon…I was celebrating! Didn’t you hear? Today is National Wine Day.

source

After a little while of properly celebrating and enjoying the beautiful weather, we figured we should probably throw together some dinner. I’m not gonna lie…both of us were feeling a little lazy and would have been pretty content with just raiding the snack cabinet…

However, I knew that wouldn’t fulfill either of our rumbling tummies, so we quickly put together this delicious dish.

I cooked up a box of Annie’s Shells & Real Aged Cheddar, which I really love having on hand for nights like tonight where we need dinner in a flash. One of the reasons I love this mac & cheese is because it’s so easy to play around with! I’ve already made a few winning combos.

Tonight’s bowl consisted of some chopped Italian-style chicken sausages, a diced tomato, and some scallions. It was quick and easy, and definitely brought a “Plain Jane” mac & cheese dish up a few notches.

The two of us ate dinner on the couch (since we still have yet to decide on that whole kitchen table situation), while relaxing with the other little man of the house.

Seriously, I want his life.

The two (three) of us are planning on spending the evening watching the season finales of a couple of our favorite Wednesday nights shows (helloooo Modern Family & Cougar Town!).

And now since Jay found out that the ice cream has been opened, I can pretty much guarantee you that some of that will be consumed later on this evening.

Yup…definitely. Smile

Question for the Evening:

Are you a wine drinker? If so, what’s your vino of choice?

I used to solely drink my beloved Riesling, but I’ve actually expanded my horizons into many, many other varieties. Tonight’s vino of choice was a Chardonnay, but there really aren’t many white wines that I don’t enjoy. I’m still working my way into reds though…there’s only a couple that I’ve found actually don’t taste like rubbing alcohol…

1 Gloria May 25, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Try Rosa Regale! It’s technically a dessert wine, so it tastes like sparkling juice but I love it. And, it’s apparently best paired with chocolate…not that anyone needs an excuse to eat chocolate, but just saying.

2 Courtney May 25, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Thanks for the recommendation! Anything that goes with chocolate already sounds awesome ;)

3 Mike May 25, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Hows the job hunt going? As a teacher who loved teaching, have you been substituting? Thats a great way to get back into the game.

4 Courtney May 25, 2011 at 8:11 pm

It’s going alright, thanks for asking!

5 briana May 25, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I am a margarita girl!

6 Erica May 25, 2011 at 8:16 pm

i’m a special occasion wine drinker…i have some friends that have to have a glass w/meals…i’m not like that. and while i’ll try different things when w/friends that are wine experts, i’m partial to sweet dessert wines.

i love reislings.
and caramel macchiattos.
we are beverage soul mates ;p

7 Kristi May 25, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I am a wine lover. Tonight I had a glass of Pinot Grigio to celebrate. My favorite kinf of wine.. Syrah.
Kristi recently posted..A little of my history…

8 gabriella @ embracement May 25, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I’m definitely a wine girl! A lot of time I fall victim to the names and the bottles (Beach House being a new fav for the quotes around the bottle, cupcake is another great one). I typically like white wines that are more on the light, fruity side than oaky…but over overly sweet. Did you ask for all that info haha?
gabriella @ embracement recently posted..Pumping It Up

9 Parita May 25, 2011 at 8:45 pm

I love wine, but have to admit that I’m not too educated on the different kinds. I like what I like (Riesling and sweet reds).

And yay for Modern Family! I’m so sad that this is the season finale. :(
Parita recently posted..Half Marathon Training- Week 1 Recap

10 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 25, 2011 at 8:45 pm

mmm I love a good glass of wine before dinner! I don’t do it very often, but when I do I never regret it.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food phases

11 elizabeth @ the good life May 25, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Love wine:) I used to only like whites but now reds are definitely my favorite! It tastes great with a nice dinner and you sip it slower so it lasts longer. After traveling to Tuscany my favorite wine was (and still is) Chianti, but I also love to try new kinds that my friends or family recommend. yum. Is it the weekend yet?
elizabeth @ the good life recently posted..tuesday

12 Stephanie Bragg May 25, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I love red wine, specifically Cabernet. I used to only like white, but then started trying to drink red because I figured I should try to like the one with health benefits. Now white wine is too sweet for me but I loooove a good (or cheap) glass of red
Stephanie Bragg recently posted..Freaking Out

13 Lauren May 25, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Wine is my drink of choice. My favorite is Cabernet Sauvignon. I especially love the Murphy Goode Cabernet.
Lauren recently posted..Raw Chocolate Mint Fudge Brownie

14 Melissa May 25, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I love love love red wine! My parents are pretty into wine, so they’ve taught me well! :) My favorite is probably Trefethen Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley. It’s pricey, but amazingly good! I used to only like red, but on a hot day, I enjoy a nice glass of Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc, too!
Melissa recently posted..Beginner’s Luck

15 Babs May 25, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I definitely like a nice glass of winel, but still getting used to the reds. I also love a good beer. I recently had a beer with passionfruit hints and it was delish
Babs recently posted..Burmese Rocks My World

16 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 25, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Cheers! Wine is a favorite of mine – my first blog was called Ice Cream & Wine!

Malbec has become my top choice. I hardly discriminate and will drink all kinds though. ;)

17 Courtney May 25, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I remember Ice Cream & Wine :-D

18 Jillian May 25, 2011 at 9:59 pm

If you can find VanDuzer Pinot noir I highly recommend trying!! It’s my fave!

19 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) May 25, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Wine and pasta, great combo :) I’m not much of a wine drinker but I’m trying to get into it. Gotta be more refined lol

20 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 25, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Loaded mac and cheese sounds like the perfect quick dinner! I’ve always had mac and cheese as a side dish. I should try this sometime!
Tori (Fresh Fruition) recently posted..A Weekend of Firsts

21 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 25, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I used to not be a big fan of red wine, but I know that it’s because I only bought the bad quality ones. Nowadays, I’m really loving rose!

Oh man, love Cody’s leg propped up against Jay ;)

22 Samantha May 25, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I am such a wine-o! I really like anything in the middle – not too sweet and not too dry. I enjoyed a few glasses of Barefoot Chardonnay tonight…a fantastic choice for the girl on a budget ;)

23 Katherine May 25, 2011 at 10:52 pm

You are so gorgeous, and literally just glow!
Katherine recently posted..Guatemala Info

24 Courtney May 26, 2011 at 8:29 am

You are so sweet, thank you! (My photo editor does a pretty good job, too) ;)

25 Katherine May 26, 2011 at 9:47 am

You don’t need a photo editor!
Katherine recently posted..Guatemala Info

26 Sarah May 25, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Cabernet all the way!!! Also, when I feel like delving into my old sorority ways, Trader Joe’s two-buck-chuck ANYTHING does the trick.
Add some cheese and crackers to the mix, and I’m the happiest girl on earth.
Sarah recently posted..Gettin’ my post on!

27 Khushboo May 25, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I’m not a wine drinker at all- I wish I were though as I love the glasses ha! Just can’t get into it so vodka is my drink of choice! You look lovely in the pics above :)
Khushboo recently posted..Blondes have more fun

28 Farrah May 25, 2011 at 11:16 pm

*GASP* You don’t like red wine?!? Oh dear.

I’m a red wine kinda gal. Interestingly enough, I rarely drink white wine. Maybe we outta swap for a while and challenge ourselves to learn to love another kinda wine ;) lol
Farrah recently posted..Rosemary Garlic Cheese Bread

29 Courtney May 26, 2011 at 8:28 am

I like it! Do you have any reds that you’d recommend for someone trying to venture slowly into them?

30 Farrah May 27, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Yes, I actually do! I’ve never met anyone who didn’t like Joesph Carr Pinot Noir. It is very good! Many of our locals run out of it, but Empire Wine and Liquor usually has it. They are in the plaza across from Colonie Center near Target. It isn’t all that expensive either, which is nice. I think it is usually around 13.00/bottle.
Farrah recently posted..Banana Split Pie

31 Farrah May 27, 2011 at 10:40 pm

make that *Joseph Carr* lol
Farrah recently posted..Banana Split Pie

32 Courtney May 27, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Awesome! I’ll definitely have to check that out…I’m headed over that way tomorrow! Thanks :)

33 Gege May 25, 2011 at 11:36 pm

The mac n’ cheese dish looks delicious! I do not drink any type of alcohol, so dont have a say in that area.

34 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" May 26, 2011 at 12:32 am

I never liked wine until I moved to NYC. Here I quickly realized that wine was a key part of the night life so I soon became a fan. Just like Ramona from Real Housewives of NYC, I love my pinot…but I’m not quite as fussy. I’ll drink any wine!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy Living Girl” recently posted..When You Fall Off that Horse- you Gotta…Ride a Pony

35 Mac May 26, 2011 at 12:59 am

I’m not a huge wine drinker, if I do it has to be white wine or sangria :)
Mac recently posted..Grocery Planning

36 Jen M. May 26, 2011 at 1:35 am

It took me a really long time to venture into red wines (and I’m still venturing…slowly). I was all about the Rieslings and muscatos and any sweet, white wine. I absolutely HATED red wines! I think the biggest thing is that I don’t like any hot or room temp alcoholic beverages, and most reds (if not all?) are room temp, blerg! But, then I had a glass of icy, fruity red wine sangria, and YUM! Then I randomly had to bring a bottle of red to a friend’s house (she was getting divorced, and prefers red, which was the ONLY reason I didn’t bring MY fave) and I grabbed a shiraz, and HOLY YUM! Since then, I’ve become a big fan of Barefoot’s Shiraz, which is both inexpensive AND delish!!

37 Courtney May 26, 2011 at 8:27 am

It sounds like you’ve transitioned very similar to me. I guess I’ll have to try that Shiraz! Thanks for the heads up :)

38 Jen May 26, 2011 at 2:05 am

I’m a sauvignon blanc gal at the moment. I love my reds, but I’m not a fan of my teeth turning red. Also, that mac n cheese looks fantastic! I need to jump on the Annie’s bandwagon.
Jen recently posted..Soup is for Winter

39 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine May 26, 2011 at 2:49 am

I’m not a huge wine drinker, but last night I had an AMAZING glass of Sancerre. It always has to be with food though- wine on an empty stomach basically makes me fall asleep at the bar!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..The Americans Are Coming!

40 Juani May 26, 2011 at 4:40 am

I don’t really drink wine,but when I do,I prefer a nice sweet Rosé.I don’t like dry wines,at all.

41 Tanya @ Sunday Baker May 26, 2011 at 7:03 am

I’m not a wine drinker, but I love a good ole’ refreshing wine cooler with the girls on the patio in the summer. Just found your blog-you are so cute and it looks great!
Tanya @ Sunday Baker recently posted..Blueberry &amp Oat Muffins with Sea Salt

42 Courtney May 26, 2011 at 8:25 am

Thanks, Tanya! Welcome :)

43 Whitney Kailos May 26, 2011 at 7:41 am

I’m not a huge wine drinking but I am trying to get more into it. My taste is now moving more towards red now which is exciting!!

You have beautiful skin! How do you do it?
Whitney Kailos recently posted..How do I use this

44 Courtney May 26, 2011 at 8:25 am

Thank you! That’s actually going to be my next vlog ;)

45 Christy May 26, 2011 at 7:49 am

Brambleberry wine by Hazelitt winery. It’s a red that you will enjoy! Must be consumed with chocolate handy!

46 Tara May 26, 2011 at 8:21 am

I love white wine! My favorite is Riesling too, St michelle chateau riesling! YUM
Tara recently posted..BLUE

47 Courtney May 26, 2011 at 8:24 am

That a GOOD one!

48 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy May 26, 2011 at 8:22 am

I had planned to watch the season finales last night too..but tornado warnings cut into all of them :(! Our local station said they were going to try to get the network to air the shows again…I hope they do :)!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Constructive criticism

49 Jen N May 26, 2011 at 9:18 am

My latest favorite wine is Dolce Bianco, but it’s a muscato, so it’s pretty sweet. I had it with Indian food one night and it was perfect! I love pinot grigio too. A good way to slide into reds is to try merlot and pinot noir – both are easy-to-drink reds. I can only drink heavier reds with food.

50 Brittany May 26, 2011 at 9:25 am

I’m a big fan of Cavit Pinot Grigio because not only is it cheap but it doesn’t taste like metal like other whites I’ve encountered. I do prefer reds with meals though. Pinot Noir, Cabernet, Shiraz… I feel like its harder to get away with buying cheap reds than it is with whites though. You’re right, cheap reds generally taste like ethanol.

51 Laura@mypurposefullife May 26, 2011 at 10:36 am

I recently have started to really like wine. When I “didn’t like” wine, I always went with white because I thought it would taste less like rubbing alcohol, but after spending a month in France and Spain, I am a red wine girl through and through. Maybe try something sweeter like a Shiraz or Syrah? Both of those reds I find really drinkable. Maybe I should expand my horizons and drink more whites, though, eh? :)
Laura@mypurposefullife recently posted..Clean Mountain Air

52 Jess @JessCantCook May 26, 2011 at 11:38 am

I’ve been drinking wine for a few years now and I finally got my fiance to start drinking it a few weeks ago! We drink a lot of red, Malbec is a new one we like a lot. I also love chardonnay.

53 Veronica (Run Write Repeat) May 26, 2011 at 11:51 am

oh, i love me some vino! for whites, i love sav blanc. for reds, pinot noirs have been my fav for the moment. but i have a non-discrimination policy most of the time :)
Veronica (Run Write Repeat) recently posted..Race Recap- West Covina “Heart Of The Valley” 5K – 4-23-2011

54 Christina May 26, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Riesling is my favorite! But I pretty much love all wine haha. You look beautiful in that first photo :)

55 Karina May 26, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Riesling is my favorite too! I’m not a huge red wine fan either but try a Malbec – delicious!!

56 Kristen May 28, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I love Rieslings. Really any whites are good or sweet reds.