Mornin’ Sunshine!

by Courtney on May 26, 2011

Gooooood Mornin’ Sunshine! <— My mom used to wake me up with this almost every morning (along with a “time to rise and shine”) in the perkiest, bubbliest way possible. It always amazed me just how chipper she was, despite the fact that I was just a grumpy teenager who could barely mumble “Mornin…”

What a treat I was.

This morning, I hit up another BodyPump class with Jen and Melissa, followed up with about 15 minutes of intervals on the elliptical. Today’s class felt really hard for some reason…my muscles were totally feelin’ the burn!

Once I got back to my car, I checked my phone, only to find this message waiting for me…

2011-05-269507-18-219545

I totally let out a big ‘ol “Awwwww!” after seeing this picture message from Jay. Apparently my little guy missed me; either that, or he’s just trying to point out the fact that I really need to clean off my desk. Yikes.

Once I got home, I made sure to give Cody some kisses and then got right to breakfast. There was no waiting today…my tummy was grumblin’!

Hubby recently finished off a jar of PB, and actually remembered not to throw it away on me. I was impressed. Now, I just have to get him to remember to actually leave a little PB in there for me…it was pretty bare, so I had to add some extra. Winking smile

**Creeper alert**

With an empty PB jar, that only means one thing…OIAJ BIAJ!

I was a little leery to add the hot stuff into my plastic jar, considering what happened the last time I attempted this. However, after seeing Julie’s success the other day, I figured it was worth another go. This time, I just waited a few minutes to add them in, so it wasn’t piping hot. It was a success!

Today’s mix:

• 1/4 cup dry buckwheat
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk
  • 1/2 mashed banana
  • 1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (stirred in at the end)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tsp chia seeds
  • Cinnamon
  • Raisins & dried cranberries
  • Granola

Obviously, it was totally disgusting. Winking smile

Time to get started on the day! Wheeeeeee!

Question for the Day:

Did you ever have any rituals/sayings with your mom or dad growing up?

In addition to my mom’s sayings above, she also used to like to yell “Think before you write!” as I was running out the door to the bus…or my car, as I got older.

I had a few things with my dad, too. He loved waking me up by getting *this close* to my face without saying anything. He knew I hated it, but got a total kick out of it. Before he’d leave in the morning, he always used to say, “Remember, today is the first day of the rest of your life.” Smile

1 Mac May 26, 2011 at 9:04 am

My dad and mom used to always give me a little pep talk and things to remember in my basketball games before I left the house for pre-game routines. Even when I was in college playing basketball they would still either call the night before or the day of and tell me things like “remember don’t foul” “follow your shot” “Shoot the ball!”, you get the idea lol. It’s little routines like that, that I will always remember and appreciate my parents for.
Mac recently posted..Grocery Planning

2 Alexis May 26, 2011 at 9:05 am

Yum that BIAJ looks awesome. I just book marked this page so I can make it next time I have an empty jar of PB :)
Whenever I answered “I don’t know” my dad would respond “well if you don’t know then who does”
Alexis recently posted..Siggi’s Review

3 Lisa @ I'm an Okie May 26, 2011 at 9:08 am

Love your mug…too cute.

I honestly can’t think of anyt sort of ritual saying my parents always said. hmm..

4 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 26, 2011 at 9:12 am

AW Cody :D

I tried to put hot oats in my plastic jar once, but the jar completely melted and deformed!! When I started hearing a popping sound, I knew I had to throw it away. I’m still scared to try it again!

My mom just always tells me to work my hardest and never settle for second best.
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..China Day 2- Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square

5 Sarah May 26, 2011 at 9:13 am

That? Looks like heaven on EARTH! My OIAJ the other day were not nearlyyy as delish looking as yours. I’m still new to the whole “in a jar” breakfasts though, so hopefully I’ll improve :)
As for my family sayings.. the only thing I can think of that happened with any frequency was when I would leave toys around the house and my dad would yell “I’m gonna CHUCK ‘em!! I’m gonna CHUCK ‘em!!!”
Traumatizing? Mildly.
Sarah recently posted..Gettin’ my post on!

6 Courtney May 26, 2011 at 9:16 am

HAHAHA :)

7 Kelsey May 26, 2011 at 9:15 am

My daddy would always say, “MAKE it a great day!” :)
Kelsey recently posted..Im not makin this stuff up

8 emma green May 26, 2011 at 9:18 am

oh man! i used to get the “rise and shine” thing too, with my dad simultaneously throwing the curtains open and blinding me! not good :-(

9 TheBloggersBrother May 26, 2011 at 9:19 am

Lmao dad would just poke me until I woke up, so annoying! Mom would say “time to rise and shine! Its Fridayyyyy!” Also annoying

10 Courtney May 26, 2011 at 9:20 am

HAHAHAHAHA…ohhhh the things we dealt with ;)

11 Brittney May 26, 2011 at 9:32 am

My dad always said, “Look both ways before crossing the street.” because I lived on a rural road where the speed limit was 45 mph but people regularly drove 70+ mph! My best friend lived across the street so it was a legitimate concern that I would become roadkill! :)
Brittney recently posted..How To Spend A Lovely Day In Hilton Head

12 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 26, 2011 at 9:34 am

I love the heating technique – it gets it all melty and makes sure you don’t miss any leftover PB!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..What I Ate- Shopped- and Baked

13 KitKat @ Pursuit of Happiness May 26, 2011 at 9:40 am

Haha your Mom reminds me of my Mom. My Mom would always come into my room in the morning singing, “Good morning to you, good morning to you, we’re all in our places with sunshiny faces” (that’s where I’d cut her off and make grumbling yelling noises). Althougn that was better than my Dad. He’d come in quietly, put two hands on the bed and start bouncing on it yelling, “EARTHQUAAAAKE”. Which now of course I use that same tactic to torture friends and my boyfriend. ;)
KitKat @ Pursuit of Happiness recently posted..Sick…again!

14 Courtney May 26, 2011 at 10:15 am

Hahaha, those are great! :)

15 Val May 26, 2011 at 9:53 am

My mom always tells us that she’ll be there for us no matter what. And when I was really little and first discovered how to count to 100 I thought it was the biggest number ever and used to tell my mom and dad that I loved them a hundred. That stuck for quite sometime and she would always say it to me and my sister while saying good night to us.
Val recently posted..Sunny Saturday!!

16 Emmarie May 26, 2011 at 9:56 am

My dad would so a similar “thisclose” thing. At the dinner table, he would lean in real close and just stare at me. As teenager I hated it, now I would probably engage dad in a staring contest.
Emmarie recently posted..Red Robin…YUM

17 Steph @ StephSnacks May 26, 2011 at 9:57 am

How sweet that your husband remembered to save the PB jar :) My mom isn’t much of a morning person either, so I guess our tradition was being big grumps!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Homegirl Had a Bad Day

18 Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries May 26, 2011 at 10:10 am

My mom was always so cheerful and happy in the mornings too when she woke me up in the morning for high school. I’ll always remember the words “Raaaaachel it’s time to get uuuuup!” and I’ll roll over and grumble. Now I just have to rely on my alarm clock to be awoken, haha :)
Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries recently posted..Chemo 5 &amp Me Taking Pictures of Myself

19 Melissa May 26, 2011 at 10:19 am

Even to this day, when I leave the house, my dad says, “Be careful out there! It’s a jungle!” :)

20 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 26, 2011 at 10:26 am

My dad and I make weird half bird-calling ish noises on occasion. Does that count? LOL!
Tori (Fresh Fruition) recently posted..A Weekend of Firsts

21 Angela @ MyPinkyToes May 26, 2011 at 10:58 am

I love that your kitty cat is a creeper in so many of your pictures!

22 Courtney May 26, 2011 at 12:21 pm

He’s so sly, right? ;)

23 Khushboo May 26, 2011 at 11:07 am

I’m so glad to see another blogger that eats Skippy Natural! It’s the best! Considering how much of a morning person i am now, I used to be a total grump. How my parents put up with me is beyond me!
Khushboo recently posted..Blondes have more fun

24 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries May 26, 2011 at 11:34 am

My mom always used to tell me “quitters never prosper” and I’d be like “Moooomm!! It’s PE! Please, just write me a sick note!” Never worked.
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Totally Truthful Thursday

25 Courtney May 26, 2011 at 12:21 pm

LOL!! :-D

26 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" May 26, 2011 at 12:18 pm

mmmmm I love Oats in a Jar – the overnight version! I love how it all melds together overnight to be creamy and delicious. What a cute message from Cody! He’s so precious ;-)

Rituals with my mom? hmmmm. Shopping, lots of shopping…oh and complaining that I don’t like the way things fit :-)
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy Living Girl” recently posted..Peanut Butter and Jelly Overnight Oats in Jar

27 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) May 26, 2011 at 12:19 pm

My mom used to always say “it’s time to go to sleep” in french when it was time for dinner… we would all reply “mommmm you said it’s time to go to sleep” and she would always laugh.

Myself and my two sisters went to french school and my dad spoke french, but my mom would just pick up a couple words here and there. She knew she wasn’t saying the right thing but said it anyways just to get a reaction out of us.

Even now, me and my sisters are all adults and if we go over for supper, she will call out “it’s time to go to sleep” and we will know it’s dinner time. <3 I find it really cute :)

28 Courtney May 26, 2011 at 12:20 pm

That IS cute!!

29 Veronica (Run Write Repeat) May 26, 2011 at 12:30 pm

My dad was sooooo optimistic and loving…. “life is hard and then you die. suck it up.”
Oh, dad…
Veronica (Run Write Repeat) recently posted..Race Recap- West Covina “Heart Of The Valley” 5K – 4-23-2011

30 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 26, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I had OIAJ this mroning too! It was delicious!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food phases

31 Karina May 26, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Those are some great sayings :) Whenever it comes to final exam time, my dad says, “Sprint through the finish line! Almost there!” I’ve heard that wayy too many times in my life- but he’s right! :) Have a wonderful weekend!!

32 Heather @ Girlyeverafter May 26, 2011 at 1:36 pm

My mom would always come in and say good morning but tuck my covers around me. Why she thought this would get me out of bed when I was all cocooned made no sense to me. haha
Heather @ Girlyeverafter recently posted..Three Amigos

33 Ashley @ Healthy Heroine May 26, 2011 at 2:14 pm

My dad used to delight in waking me up by singing “There she is, Miss America!”

I
Ashley @ Healthy Heroine recently posted..Return of Some Forgotten Favorites

34 Courtney May 26, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Awwww, my grandparents used to say that to me!! :)

35 Katherine May 26, 2011 at 2:44 pm

NomNomNom!!!
Katherine recently posted..Guatemala Info

36 Sherri May 26, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I have 3 rituals with my kids. 1) when its bedtime, I tell them “happy thoughts” and they would reply “make happy dreams” 2) everytime they ask where I’m going (whether to the restroom, kitchen, store, etc) I would reply “HAWAII” 3) when they ask “what’s for dinner/lunch/breakfast” my reply is always “turtle soup”. Even though they are now 18, 16 & 13 (all boys) we still play this game. My oldest son will be leaving for Navy bootcamp in July and I told him DO NOT say the happy thoughts, happy dreams ritual while your in your bunks (LOL).

37 Courtney May 26, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Awww, those are so fun! :)

38 Nat May 26, 2011 at 8:11 pm

i find it really funny that your mom used to say “time to rise and shine” because that is exactly what my dad used to say for me to wake up!

39 Kristen May 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I love your days saying! how very true! My parents didnt do anythign special but my uncle would SING to me and my cousins to get up. It was SO annoying (especially when we got up at 6am for swim practice)