Farmers Market Finds

by Courtney on May 28, 2011

If there’s one thing that’s bound to put me in a good mood on a beautiful Saturday morning, it’s a trip to the Troy Waterfront Farmers Market.

Today was my first visit since they brought it back outdoors for the spring/summer, and it was definitely in full swing. As always, there was plenty of different goodies around, but since I was little later than usual getting there, a lot of the fresh baked breads and other goods were actually sold out.

There were more vegetable and herb plants than I could count, which only further solidified my desire to have a garden. If I didn’t think I would kill off everything, I might consider it a little more…who knows.

I really wanted to buy some of this for Cody. Maybe next time. Winking smile

Since I usually go to the Farmers Market early, I tend to pass up on the wine sampling that is always available. However, today my watch told me it was 12:30 time to sample some wines, so I happily obliged…

…and ended up with a bottle all of my own. Since I’m really trying to get into more reds, I decided to only sample a couple of those today, which led me to this Black Raspberry Merlot from Colebrook Country Wines.

I loved the subtle raspberry flavor and can definitely foresee this being a great sipping wine.

Along with the wine, I also ended up leaving the market today with some fresh basil,

and this absolutely amazing stuff…Gar-La-La!

Gar-La-La is 100% vegan, non-dairy, gluten & soy free garlic dip/spread, made with fresh raw garlic, potato, lemon, canola oil, sea salt, and pepper.

One sample of the Sun Dried-Tomato & Basil spread was all it took to get me hooked. It’s SO full of flavor, and if you like garlic…well, this is definitely for you.

It’s probably one of the most garlicky foods I’ve ever had (well, besides that one incident…)

Let’s just say that Jay probably won’t want to give me any smooches for at least three days. Winking smile

Especially because I not only had about 5 samples at the market, but also had to incorporate it into today’s lunch.

I mixed up the last of my cooked quinoa with a diced tomato, a scallion, a couple fresh basil leaves, some goat cheese, and some of my garlic-loaded spread.

It was amazing, but umm, does anyone have a piece of gum? Or twenty…? Embarrassed smile

To satisfy my sweet tooth a little while later, I enjoyed my last Foodzie biscotti. Between the two, I’d have to say that the almond was still my favorite, but this Lemon Poppyseed flavor definitely gave it a run for its money. It was awesome!

I really never thought that I would like biscotti so much?? I think that just means one thing…I need to try to make some of my own! I’ll just have to get my hands on a good recipe…anyone have a good one they could share??

In a little while, Jay and I are headed out to relax on a patio in this beautiful weather. Not sure where yet, but according to him, there’s only two stipulations for wherever we end up: it’s got to have a big patio and cold beer.

I can deal with that. Smile

Question for the Evening:

Do you enjoy dining/enjoying drinks outdoors once the nice weather hits?

Where are some of your favorite spots? (*especially you locals out there…I’m ALWAYS looking for good outdoor dining spots!)

1 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun May 28, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I can’t wait to get to our farmer’s market! I saw it today but B was screaming hungry in the backseat so had no time to stop. :(

That garlic spread sounds SO good! And raspberry wine? YUM!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Top Ten Things To Take Away From The Fitbloggin ‘11 Conference- Part One

2 sarahnotsoplainandtall May 28, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I LOVE THE FARMER’S MARKET!! My favorite to go to is on Wednesdays in Santa Monica right after yoga class!! Doesnt get much better than yoga, fresh veggies and the ocean breeze!

3 Liz @ iheartvegetables May 28, 2011 at 5:13 pm

You should totally plant a garden!!! I’m telling you, if I can keep one alive, you can!!!! Haha Hope you’re having a great weekend!
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..Productive Weekend Ahead

4 samantha @ fresh n fit May 28, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I seriously REFUSE to eat inside once it gets nice out! Every single meal, I demand the outdoors (: #diva

Oh my God, all that wine looks fantastic! I usually like the smell more than the taste, but it secretly makes me feel like a grown up hahaha

5 Yena Hu May 28, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Mm, that wine looks so good!
Yena Hu recently posted..A Reason to Celebrate

6 Amanda May 28, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I love biscotti and it’s so easy to make!! It’s one of my regular baked goods gifts at Christmas time. Here’s one of my favorites:

Cranberry Orange Biscotti

2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tblsp grated orange peel
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup dried cranberries, coarsley chopped
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat sugar, oil, orange peel, vanilla and eggs in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Place dough on lightly floured surfface. Knead until smooth. Warning- the dough will be super sticky!! Shape half of dough at a time into 10×3 inch rectangle on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 25 to 30 mintues or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on cookie sheet 15 mintues.
Cut rectangles crosswise into 1/2 inch slices. Place slices, cut sides down, on cookie sheet.
Bake about 15 minutes, turning once, until crisp and light brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack; cool. About 3 dozen cookies.
Amanda recently posted..Milo Man 2003-2011

7 Courtney May 28, 2011 at 11:08 pm

These sound AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!! :)

8 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 28, 2011 at 9:48 pm

That dip looks really good – I’m all about the garlic!

I like to eat outside as long as there aren’t bugs swarming at me!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food phases

9 Katherine May 28, 2011 at 10:28 pm

You must take me to this market :D
Katherine recently posted..Guatemala Info

10 Farrah May 28, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Can you believe that I’ve never been to the Troy Farmer’s Market?!? I am SO close to it too! I think I’ll have to hit it up next weekend and see what I’ve been missing.
Farrah recently posted..Banana Split Pie

11 Courtney May 29, 2011 at 7:48 am

Oh my gosh, you DEFINITELY have to! It’s great :)

12 Khushboo May 29, 2011 at 12:57 am

I love the taste of garlic but can’t say the same abt the lingering breath which it leaves…which means by consumption is far less than i’d like!

Love biscotti especially with a black coffee!
Khushboo recently posted..Blondes have more fun

13 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine May 29, 2011 at 3:12 am

I LOVE eating outside when it’s nice out!! Seriously, if it’s pretty, why sit in an over air conditioned restaurant? Hope you had a good night love!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Ice Cream &gt Fish Head

14 Brenda May 29, 2011 at 7:23 am

I make biscotti from the King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion cookbook and it’s delish!

15 Kristi May 29, 2011 at 7:25 am

Okay, so I’m really starting to get jealous of everyone else’s farmers market. Mine just doesn’t compare to the pics I see on everyone else’s blogs.

16 alexa meany May 29, 2011 at 8:23 am
17 CaSaundra May 29, 2011 at 8:59 am

I love going to the Farmer’s Market! I haven’t made it yet this year, but hopefully soon!! :-)

18 K (funinphots) May 29, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I love the farmers market! There’s alwaysso much great stuff there

19 Julia May 30, 2011 at 1:53 am

I love homemade biscotti! My friend’s grandma made it so I don’t have a recipe, but it was delicious, especially topped with jams.
Julia recently posted..Raincheck

20 Marika May 31, 2011 at 12:53 am

I learned how to make biscotti from the recipe on the Cooking for Engineers site, which also gives photo instructions. I omit the orange zest and add extra almond extract and I get perfect almond biscotti every time!
Marika recently posted..Raw follow-up

21 Jen N May 31, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Just a tip: try a creamy, lemon-based dessert, such as lemon ice cream, to cut down on garlic breath. The Hidden Cafe in Delmar and The Garlic Lovers Corner in North Greenbush offer a few lemon-based desserts for that reason (and if you’ve ever had their salad dressing and/or hummus, you definitely need help with your breath afterwards). It doesn’t completely knock it out, but it does help a lot, and makes it easier to enjoy lots of garlic. :)

22 Courtney May 31, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Ooooo, awesome! Thanks for the tip ;)

23 Becky May 31, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Try this recipe from Fit Sugar. They taste amazing and are only 60 calories. Plus, there are tons of options to mix up the flavors. They are delicious!

24 Courtney May 31, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Thank you! I printed the recipe out to try :)

25 Maria June 2, 2011 at 4:21 pm

What are the ingredients of the spread? I can’t think of what they would put in it, being vegan and such. Check out my blog at Beautiful Busy Bee

26 Courtney June 2, 2011 at 4:44 pm

All of the ingredients are right on their website if you want to take a peek!