Farmers Market Finds

If there’s one thing that’s bound to put me in a good mood on a beautiful Saturday morning, it’s a trip to the Troy Waterfront Farmers Market.

Today was my first visit since they brought it back outdoors for the spring/summer, and it was definitely in full swing. As always, there was plenty of different goodies around, but since I was little later than usual getting there, a lot of the fresh baked breads and other goods were actually sold out.

There were more vegetable and herb plants than I could count, which only further solidified my desire to have a garden. If I didn’t think I would kill off everything, I might consider it a little more…who knows.

I really wanted to buy some of this for Cody. Maybe next time. Winking smile

Since I usually go to the Farmers Market early, I tend to pass up on the wine sampling that is always available. However, today my watch told me it was 12:30 time to sample some wines, so I happily obliged…

…and ended up with a bottle all of my own. Since I’m really trying to get into more reds, I decided to only sample a couple of those today, which led me to this Black Raspberry Merlot from Colebrook Country Wines.

I loved the subtle raspberry flavor and can definitely foresee this being a great sipping wine.

Along with the wine, I also ended up leaving the market today with some fresh basil,

and this absolutely amazing stuff…Gar-La-La!

Gar-La-La is 100% vegan, non-dairy, gluten & soy free garlic dip/spread, made with fresh raw garlic, potato, lemon, canola oil, sea salt, and pepper.

One sample of the Sun Dried-Tomato & Basil spread was all it took to get me hooked. It’s SO full of flavor, and if you like garlic…well, this is definitely for you.

It’s probably one of the most garlicky foods I’ve ever had (well, besides that one incident…)

Let’s just say that Jay probably won’t want to give me any smooches for at least three days. Winking smile

Especially because I not only had about 5 samples at the market, but also had to incorporate it into today’s lunch.

I mixed up the last of my cooked quinoa with a diced tomato, a scallion, a couple fresh basil leaves, some goat cheese, and some of my garlic-loaded spread.

It was amazing, but umm, does anyone have a piece of gum? Or twenty…? Embarrassed smile

To satisfy my sweet tooth a little while later, I enjoyed my last Foodzie biscotti. Between the two, I’d have to say that the almond was still my favorite, but this Lemon Poppyseed flavor definitely gave it a run for its money. It was awesome!

I really never thought that I would like biscotti so much?? I think that just means one thing…I need to try to make some of my own! I’ll just have to get my hands on a good recipe…anyone have a good one they could share??

In a little while, Jay and I are headed out to relax on a patio in this beautiful weather. Not sure where yet, but according to him, there’s only two stipulations for wherever we end up: it’s got to have a big patio and cold beer.

I can deal with that. Smile

Question for the Evening:

Do you enjoy dining/enjoying drinks outdoors once the nice weather hits?

Where are some of your favorite spots? (*especially you locals out there…I’m ALWAYS looking for good outdoor dining spots!)

Comments

I seriously REFUSE to eat inside once it gets nice out! Every single meal, I demand the outdoors (: #diva

Oh my God, all that wine looks fantastic! I usually like the smell more than the taste, but it secretly makes me feel like a grown up hahaha

I love biscotti and it’s so easy to make!! It’s one of my regular baked goods gifts at Christmas time. Here’s one of my favorites:

Cranberry Orange Biscotti

2/3 cup sugar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 tblsp grated orange peel
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    3/4 cup dried cranberries, coarsley chopped
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat sugar, oil, orange peel, vanilla and eggs in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients.
    Place dough on lightly floured surfface. Knead until smooth. Warning- the dough will be super sticky!! Shape half of dough at a time into 10×3 inch rectangle on ungreased cookie sheet.
    Bake 25 to 30 mintues or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on cookie sheet 15 mintues.
    Cut rectangles crosswise into 1/2 inch slices. Place slices, cut sides down, on cookie sheet.
    Bake about 15 minutes, turning once, until crisp and light brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack; cool. About 3 dozen cookies.
    Amanda recently posted..Milo Man 2003-2011

Can you believe that I’ve never been to the Troy Farmer’s Market?!? I am SO close to it too! I think I’ll have to hit it up next weekend and see what I’ve been missing.
    Farrah recently posted..Banana Split Pie

I love the taste of garlic but can’t say the same abt the lingering breath which it leaves…which means by consumption is far less than i’d like!

Love biscotti especially with a black coffee!
    Khushboo recently posted..Blondes have more fun

Okay, so I’m really starting to get jealous of everyone else’s farmers market. Mine just doesn’t compare to the pics I see on everyone else’s blogs.

6. CaSaundra says

I love going to the Farmer’s Market! I haven’t made it yet this year, but hopefully soon!! :-)

I love homemade biscotti! My friend’s grandma made it so I don’t have a recipe, but it was delicious, especially topped with jams.
    Julia recently posted..Raincheck

I learned how to make biscotti from the recipe on the Cooking for Engineers site, which also gives photo instructions. I omit the orange zest and add extra almond extract and I get perfect almond biscotti every time!
    Marika recently posted..Raw follow-up

9. Jen N says

Just a tip: try a creamy, lemon-based dessert, such as lemon ice cream, to cut down on garlic breath. The Hidden Cafe in Delmar and The Garlic Lovers Corner in North Greenbush offer a few lemon-based desserts for that reason (and if you’ve ever had their salad dressing and/or hummus, you definitely need help with your breath afterwards). It doesn’t completely knock it out, but it does help a lot, and makes it easier to enjoy lots of garlic. :)

Trackbacks