Rockin’ Some Killer Tan Lines

by Courtney on May 29, 2011

‘Twas another beautiful day…absolutely perfect for a party by the lake.

This afternoon, Jay and I headed up to Saratoga for a Memorial Day party with family, who just so happen to be some of our closest friends, too. I love these girls.

I still can’t believe that in just three short months, these two are getting married! It was exactly a year ago that we celebrated their engagement. Smile

Our crew spent a good majority of the afternoon sitting in the sunshine, chatting away, and snacking on some munchies. I really made a conscious effort today not to over do it with the snacks.

I tend to munch mindlessly a lot of the time when in these situations, especially when the food is right within reach. However, I was happy with my ability to really only over do it on the broccoli. That’s acceptable, right? Winking smile

I also decided to stick with just one beer today, since I feel like I’ve been imbibing a little more than usual lately. I blame it on the weather.

Jay and I eventually departed from ‘Toga and made it down to meet up with my parents for a bit. Thankfully, dinner was involved, which I was more than ready for.

For some reason, nothing sounded better to me today than a juicy burger from the grill. I honestly don’t crave burgers all that often, but the aromas coming off of the grill today were smelling too fantastic to pass up.

On the side, I had some tuna pasta salad, and some of this corn and black bean salsa which was just incredible. The chips, unfortunately, were a bit stale from sitting out, but this stuff was good enough to eat as-is. Mmmm-mmmm. Smile

For dessert, I enjoyed a couple mini chocolate chip cookies (not pictured) along with a piece of birthday/Memorial Day cake. This piece was exactly the way I like it: super moist cake, and frosting with enough sugar to be able to coat my teeth.

I’m sorry, I know that sounds terrible. But I don’t mess around with frosting. The more sugar, the better. Thank goodness I don’t eat the stuff every day. It’s all about moderation, folks! Winking smile

In case you didn’t already see them above, I’m now rockin’ some killer tan lines and a pretty hot sunburn (<—pun definitely intended) thanks to being outside all morning and afternoon. Luckily, at least my face isn’t burned!

So now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go apply some aloe and write “SUNSCREEN” on my Target shopping list…

I swear, I can be such a space case sometimes!

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend so far!

Question for the Evening:

Are you good about applying sunscreen? What SPF do you usually wear?

1 Kate May 29, 2011 at 10:23 pm

What a fun weekend food looks amazing I love black beans &corn

2 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 29, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I’m horrible about wearing sunscreen! Seriously, it’s so bad but I never remember to put it on unless I’m outside laying poolside!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food phases

3 pat May 29, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I must admit that I’m not the best at being diligent with sunscreen, but I thought all my years of “Did you use sunscreen?” would have sunken in with you!

4 Courtney May 29, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Sorry, Mom :(

5 Melissa May 29, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Such a fun day! You are my kind of girl when it comes to frosting–it’s really the only reason I eat cake! ;)

I always do at least 30 on my face and chest, but don’t worry as much about the rest. I need to, though, because I freckle and someday those freckles are going to be age spots! Ick!
Melissa recently posted..Alone

6 Cute~Ella May 29, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I’m awesome at applying sunscreen for the most part. I spend a lot of time outside in the sun and have incredibly pasty white skin that burns by thinking about it too much (ever burn inside a car though the glass? Didn’t know that was possible did you?) I wear a minimum of 30 if I’m outside and apply every 3-4 hours (more often if I’m in the water or sweating a lot.) but usually I wear 50 and most often I get the kids kind.

Remember that NOTHING is waterPROOF!
Cute~Ella recently posted..Sharing is Caring – Taco Bites a’la Sue

7 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 29, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I love grill aromas! Tofu on the grill is the best. It gets such a smokey flavor!
Tori (Fresh Fruition) recently posted..Hot Days- Cold Oats- and Graduation

8 Courtney May 29, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I’ll have to try that sometime! Any good recipes to share?? :)

9 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 29, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Here’s my post from when I first tried grilling tofu: http://freshfruition.com/2011/05/22/tofu-more-tofu-and-gardening/

It has the links to how I marinate it and such, too.

So good! Let me know how it goes if you try it :)

I recommend marinating in some sort of teriyaki grilling sauce.
Tori (Fresh Fruition) recently posted..Hot Days- Cold Oats- and Graduation

10 Kate May 29, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I usually wear SPF 15 or 30. When I was a lifeguard I always had 55 for my body and still got a killer tan that would last me until after Christmas – ahh, what a glamorous life that was.

That corn and black bean salsa looks awesome and so does your hamburger bun. I swear, I start craving burgers sometimes just for the buns. Yum! Enjoy the rest of the long weekend!
Kate recently posted..ann arbor farmer’s market

11 Stephanie May 29, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Looks like you had a fun day! Good job not munching all day. It’s so hard not to snack away the day when hanging out like that.

Haha I managed to get a rockin sunburn too, complete with a bow on my back (from the bikini tie) I usually use SPF30 on my body and 70 on my face just to be safe :)

Also, if your burn is hot, putting maalox on it and letting it sit for a fee hours takes the heat out of the burn and can prevent peeling

12 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out May 29, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I’m the palest person on the planet, so apply SPF 1,000,000 religiously. :D
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Pre Race Day Jitters

13 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 29, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Bud Light Lime is always a good choice! :)
My face lotion and make-up (both from Bare Escentuals) are SPF…something…can’t remember the number! When I’m going to be in the sun all day, I usually put on SPF 30 on my neck and shoulders and reapply every couple hours. I burn so darn easily!

14 Lindsey May 29, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I need to wear sunscreen way more than I do! I almost always have it on my face, but forget about the other body parts! I wear SPF 45 on my face. And if I remember SPF 15 for the rest of me!

15 Katherine May 29, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I personally hate wearing sunscreen, but I do it anyhow.
And I love the tan lines :)
Katherine recently posted..Guatemala Info

16 Caitlin @ Southern Curls & Pearls May 29, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I know what you mean about icing, the more the better!! :) And I usually try to put on sunscreen if I’m going out by the pool for longer than 30 minutes. I generally use spf 15 because I love having a good tan!
Caitlin @ Southern Curls & Pearls recently posted..Fit for a Sailor

17 Khushboo May 29, 2011 at 11:43 pm

I’m terrible with SPF! It only occurs me to wear it when I’m actually going to sunbathe! Fortunately my daily cover up contains SPF so my face is covered!
Khushboo recently posted..Blondes have more fun

18 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine May 30, 2011 at 6:47 am

I have the exact same frosting philosophy, no worries :) I’m not GREAT about applying sunscreen, but I do try…though I should probably use a higher SPF than 15!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Ice Cream &gt Fish Head

19 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun May 30, 2011 at 7:44 am

I always find myself munching way too easily and overeating in social situations. It’s my one food thing I can never really overcome. C’est la vie!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self-Love Reflection- Overcoming Binging

20 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 30, 2011 at 8:23 am

I’m pretty terrible about applying sunscreen :( I only do it when I know I’m going to be doing outdoor activities for a long period of time, but for everyday, I don’t put on much. That’s something I know I should change soon!

I love your tube top/dress. Where’s it from??
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Changes

21 Courtney May 30, 2011 at 8:37 am

Express, last year :)

22 Sarah May 30, 2011 at 8:39 am

Haha at least you wore a strapless dress yesterday. That has to count for something, right?
Your weekend seems perfect so far, so carry on and have a great Memorial Day!

23 Merrie@ Strawberrylaces May 30, 2011 at 9:20 am

The dog in the photo with the engaged couple is adorable! As are they :-) I’m so envious of your memorial day weekend. Dying for a piece of that chocolate cake. You’ve got me drooling
Merrie@ Strawberrylaces recently posted..Wow- Triple Peanut

24 katy @ fitinheels May 30, 2011 at 10:55 am

I’ve been so jealous reading all the Memorial Day long weekend blogs, being a Canadian! Looks like an amazing time that you deserve. I use SPF 30 when needed but have been looking for a daily face moisturizer that has SPF higher than 15. Any suggestions?
katy @ fitinheels recently posted..Dodge- Duck- Dip- Dive- and Dodge and Indulge

25 Cara May 30, 2011 at 11:11 am

I’m rocking the farmers tan from this weekend! I am horrible at remembering sunscreen unless I am at the beach or pool and then I always make sure I am wearing it! I generally wear SPF 30, when I remember!

26 Tanya @ Sunday Baker May 30, 2011 at 11:29 am

I want one of those burgers-yum! Love the farmer’s tan, lol!
Tanya @ Sunday Baker recently posted..Chicken Tortilla Dippers

27 Paige @ Running Around Normal May 30, 2011 at 11:57 am

Now that’s how you celebrate a Memorial Day weekend!! Looks like a blast:) I’m envious of your weather!
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Dining Out on Memorial Day Weekend

28 Alexis May 30, 2011 at 4:47 pm

that cake is looking delish! I try to wear sunscreen daily on my face since I had a “suspicious” mole removed a year ago I’ve definitely been more aware of putting sunscreen on. It was a real wake up call especially since I’m only 21! I wear at least 30 spf
Alexis recently posted..Wrapped and Ready

29 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" May 30, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Admittedly, I am so bad about the sunscreen. I’m well aware of the dangers of not wearing it…yet somehow I always forget! My mother would be so angry if she read this..shhhh, don’t tell. That burger looked amazing! I crave burgers a lot. I’d eat them for every meal if it was socially acceptable ;-)
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy Living Girl” recently posted..Friendship and Frozen Hot Chocolate

30 Mandee May 30, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I really want to try those beers!!! And I’m not even a beer drinker! They just sound so good!

Too much sun is never fun! I was super pale all my life, blessed with extra white skin and lots of freckles/moles… Which means you’re at higher risk of skin cancer. About five years ago I realized that if I wore 15 instead of 55, I’d get a nice tan eventually. Thought it was a blessing but prob moreso a curse because I ended up having to get this spot removed right on my hairline. 7 stiches and they had to shave some of my hair off… Luckily my bangs covered it but there’s a scar and some hair sill hasn’t come back! I am now super paranoid about getting sunburned! Wear sun screen everyone! And go spray tanning! It will change your life! The formulas are so much better now! I love it!
Mandee recently posted..Patrioticakes!

31 Tracy @ Commit To Fit May 30, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I am so with you on the sugar! I am not ashamed to admit that I love icing :)
Tracy @ Commit To Fit recently posted..Fitblog Planks Challenge- Week 3- Belly Talk

32 Tara May 30, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Looks like a great day!

33 Megan@eatmybeets May 30, 2011 at 10:32 pm

haha I totally know what you mean about cake frosting! As a kid, I was sort of turned off by the super-sugary cake frosting, but now if I’m eating birthday cake, I always request the corner piece (with a flower if possible haha). The more frosting the better.
Megan@eatmybeets recently posted..Healthyer Cookout Fare

34 Brittney May 31, 2011 at 7:54 am

You ate a lot of the same things I did this weekend- black bean salsa and a burger off the grill! Looks like a you had a great time out there :)

35 Kristen May 31, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Im not the best at applying sunscreen- I need to get in the habit of doing it. on another note, I will agree with you THE MORE ICING THE BETTER! haha

36 Jessica @ Bake a Little May 31, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Couldn’t agree with you more :) all about moderation!
Jessica @ Bake a Little recently posted..5K Training- Day 3 and Week 2 Begin