Lacking The Protein

I’m sure I’ll be paying for it soon enough, but today’s lunch was totally worth it.

I say “paying for it” because it seems like any time I’ve enjoyed a salad for lunch in the past few weeks, I end up with a total food baby and am all bloated and gross.

Why is it that the foods that are good for me are the ones that bother me the most??

Ok, rant for the day is done…moving on!

Today’s salad was chock-full of veggie goodness:

• spring mix
  • cukes
  • grape tomatoes
  • baby carrots
  • red peppers
  • bread & butter pickles (LOVE B&B pickles!!)
  • scallions
  • dried cranberries
  • strawberries
  • goat cheese
  • sunflower seeds

Unfortunately, I realized about halfway through that I was totally lacking in the protein department, so I’m sure it won’t hold me over too long. I’ve got to get better about that…

After finishing that beast up there, I needed a little something to satisfy my sweet tooth. Remember theeeese?

I had saved a few of these Lemon Raspberry Muffins from when I made them last month, so when I opened up the freezer and saw them this morning, I decided to take them out to defrost.

It tasted just as good as I remembered. Smile

Question for the Afternoon:

What are your favorite sources of protein for a salad?

Comments

oh i love adding beans, lentils and tofu to salads!! i make a asian cheezy tofu sauce that i just pour over salads and it FULL of protein! its on my recipe page just fyi.. but other than that… beans and lentils are easy and yummy when mixed with some spices!

Chicken! Or a cut up turkey burger. And I can totally sympathize/relate with the bloated mess after healthy foods! Why us?! I need to pretty much lock myself away if I have a vegetable-rich day. I don’t understand why we have to suffer, digestively, for the foods that are supposedly going to make us live longer.

Anyways, that muffin looks amazing! lol I just got set off on a rant because I was wondering the exact same thing yesterday.
    Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission recently posted..Sweet Summertime

Your salad is so colorful! I love to add lentils to my salads, or some chicken, tuna, cottage cheese, or nuts. It depends what kind of mood I’m in.

4. Kathryn says

Mmmm, I love salads! Wish I had the fixings for one today. When I make a salad, I like to add some grilled chicken or, more recently, I’ve taken to slicing up some turkey lunchmeat.

I have to say that one of my favorite sources for protein in a salad is tofu! or seared tuna… although I only get the seared tuna at restaurants ;) you’re salad seems refreshing and such a nice mix with the scallions, goat cheese, and cranberries!
    Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..A Wonderful Weekend

6. Heather says

Have you ever looked into “food combining?” While I’m not sure how I feel about all of its principles, I definitely agree with some of the basic rules.

One is that drinking a lot of water while during a meal can hinder digestion and leave you feeling bloated so you should try and save water until a little while afterward. Another is to only eat fruit on an empty stomach and not in combination or after other foods due to its digestive properties.

I do not follow this very closely, but it might be worth looking into based on your symptoms. Couldn’t hurt, right?!

• Courtney says

Hmmmm, that’s pretty interesting. I’ve never really looked into it, but maybe I will. Thanks!

I had a salad today (like a lot of week days) and I threw some beans in the mix. It’s easy and doesn’t require you to cook (if you use canned like me). I also like hummus on a salad…or edamame.
    Emily recently posted..Smokey Robinson’s Vaca

It’s so funny you write this because I’m suffering from the same problem right now. I’m starved because I didn’t get enough protein at lunch. And all I have in my cubicle is plain oatmeal. bleh. I think turkey, cottage cheese and egg whites are my fave sources of protein for salads. I like to keep them light n’ refreshing.
    Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Why I Love Summer Running in NYC

9. Shayla says

Although I tend to get the bloated tummy too, I love having salads for lunch, especially in the summertime! I get tired of meat and beans on my salad, so I always like to just eat it by itself and get my protein source with a side of greek yogurt. So refreshing and takes care of that sweet tooth I always get after my meals ;)

That salad looks incredible! And I too suffer from the leafy green food baby syndrome. Something I’ve come to terms with ;)
    I really like cheese on salads for protein. You can get a remarkable amount of protein with just a bit of cheese! Canned tuna is a quickie I love too

11. Kelsey says

I have the same problem when I eat a bunch of raw veggies. After a little bit of research I realized that my body simply has a harder time digesting the complex carbs often found in raw veggies, beans, etc. Get some Beano. No joke! Whenever I’m planning on attacking a salad beast I simply pop a Beano right before and I’m good to go. No gas, bloating, etc. Life saver!

Raw veggies always make my stomach hurt, especially broccoli. Unfortunately I just have to avoid em’ if I want to feel good. Cooked veggies sooth me much better. Or like the previous comment, sometimes an enzyme supplement can help! Plus drinking plenty of water to keep things movin’ along!

I love putting tuna and lots of nuts/cheese in my salad for protein! And don’t get me started on watermelon and my digestive system. It’s such a great fruit for the body, yet my body just doesn’t seem to like it :(

I like including either black beans or canellini beans in my salads. If I’m splurging and putting together a salad at Whole Foods, I’ll pick up a small salmon fillet from the deli case.
    Amanda recently posted..Milo Man 2003-2011

I had a monster of a salad for lunch yday and I think I spent half the afternoon walking around with a fiber baby gah! Favorite protein sources are dairy, chicken, seafood/fish, soy products, egg-whites and beans/legumes!
    Khushboo recently posted..Pro-tein versus Con-tein

This salad looks amazing! I love adding cottage cheese to mine for protein :) Sorry about the stomach issues though — maybe drink more water? I find if I eat a huge salad and don’t drink enough water, it kinda just all sits in there.
    Christina recently posted..Run to Remember!

I have been having the same baby belly issues! I love, love, love fruits and veggies but seem to be having a really hard time digesting them lately. I had to seriously cut back my portion sizes and eat small amounts frequently, but sometimes that doesn’t even help. I hope your tummy feels better! It’s not fun to look pregnant when you’re not actually pregnant!

Not sure if you have ever heard it before, but I was told that you should cut the seeds out of the cucumber to avoid getting gas. Might be tmi, but thought you might appreciate it- I always cut my seeds out…and it helps keep salad fresh longer :)
    Holly recently posted..Getting Prepped for the BIG Day!

• Courtney says

I actually have heard that before but didn’t know how true it was…good to know! Thanks pretty lady :-D