Full Of Variety

by Courtney on June 1, 2011

Alright, so I guess I have more of an idea about this whole “covering up the treadmill” thing we got happening. After reading all of your comments, it appears as if there are a few different reasons as to why people do it, all of which make perfect sense after thinking about it.

I, however, will still not be participating, and watching my screen like a hawk. Not for calories, not for speed…but just because that’s how I roll. I admire all of you who can keep everything hidden. More power to ya!

*********

As delicious as my morning bowl of cereal was today, it definitely was not enough to hold me over after my long run. So a couple hours later, I snacked on a couple handfuls of trail mix and another Lemon-Raspberry Muffin.

When it came time for lunch, I was seriously all over the place. You know how it is when you just go grocery shopping and you have so many goodies to choose from that it’s hard to decide?

Ok, maybe that’s just me…I have that whole indecisive problem thing…

But thankfully, I was eventually able to throw a few things together…

One of my purchases yesterday was a big, juicy honeydew melon, which I diced up last night, so I had a small bowl of that.

I was also craving veggies (of course) but wasn’t in the mood for a salad, so I made a little sampler plate with carrots, grape tomatoes, and cukes.

I’m now rockin’ some killer garlic breath, thanks to my massive serving of Gar-La-La that I bought on Saturday to use as a dipper for my veggies. The stuff is awesome.

Last, I made myself a little mystery tortilla…any guesses as to what’s inside? Winking smile

Well, if you guessed peanut butter, pear slices, and cinnamon, then you were right on target.

Definitely full of variety, but utterly delicious. Now I just need to get my hands on some gum or something lemony…

Maybe I’ll find what I need at Target, since I’m on my way there now. I don’t really need to go, but it’s air conditioned…

And my house still is not. ‘Nuff said!

Question for the Afternoon:

Do you prefer a lot of variety at your meals or just one or two things to choose from?

1 Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission June 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I definitely have that indecisiveness. When I go grocery shopping I just want to tear into everything because I know I just bought all the good stuff. Takes a strong will not to!
Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission recently posted..Let’s Talk About Changes

2 Danica June 1, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I also have the hardest time deciding on a lunch when the fridge is fully stocked…I definitely agree about having variety in each meal. I like there to be little bits of a few things, and this is the same for when I got out to eat–I love to try some of everything!

3 Megan (Braise The Roof) June 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I am the exact same way right after I go grocery shopping- I want to eat everything at the same time. I love having lots of variety in my meals. It sort of makes you feel like you’re eating more, doesn’t it?
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..A Love Letter to my Hacker

4 Courtney June 1, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Yes, definitely!

5 Stephanie Bragg June 1, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Straight after grocery shopping I’m super indecisive, but then I stick with what I open and attack that before moving on. That or I go for what’s going to expire sooner. Can’t let it go to waste :)
Stephanie Bragg recently posted..Pizza Hogs

6 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine June 1, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I love lots of variety at meals!! It’s way more fun to eat a bunch of little things than one big one. And it takes longer to eat, which is good for speed eaters like me!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Ice Cream &gt Fish Head

7 Kristi June 1, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I love having a variety…sometimes I like having a little bit of a few things rather than just having one or two things.
Kristi recently posted..do you trust yourself

8 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 1, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I love the combination of pear and peanut butter – so great! Have fun at Target – I could spend hours there. :)

9 Anita June 1, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Mmm that lunch looks delicious! I’m on my way to Trader Joes for some weekly grocery shopping myself… I think I might have to pick up some yummy veggie dip so that I can follow suit!
Anita recently posted..Cabin Camping

10 Katherine June 1, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Ahh I love honeydew!

O, and BTW I am leaving for Guatemala in 13 hours, so I won’t be commenting on your blog for a good 10 days. Sorry to leave you, but I will have a massive post when I get back :)
Katherine recently posted..Giveaway Winners

11 Courtney June 1, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Oh gosh! Have a BLAST!! :)

12 kate June 1, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I love snacking I usually eat 2-3 small lunches throughout the afternoon and definitely fill up on raw veggies!

13 ellalinea June 1, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I can never decide what to have for a meal so I usually have little snack plates.. It always satisfies my craving for sweet and avory things :)

14 Jessica @ brighteyesandbushytales June 1, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Have you tried the lemon bar larabars?! Those are deelish! :)
Jessica @ brighteyesandbushytales recently posted..Burger Time

15 Courtney June 1, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I have NOT! But it sounds delish! :)

16 Heather @ Girlyeverafter June 1, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I have to have a little variety in my meals. I get bored so easily. And if I have a lot on my plate I’m less likely to snack all day.
Heather @ Girlyeverafter recently posted..Electrolytes for Your Skin

17 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 1, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Whenever I have lots of grocery variety, I always end up eating a little bit of everything! I get way to excited over my food purchases…
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Wake Up Call

18 Mandee June 1, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I’m the same way with a fully stocked fridge!

And I throw anything and everything in when it comes to salad and wraps! That pear one sounds great!

19 Morgan @Endorphaholic June 1, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Those fresh veggies look delicious!

I love having variety, but I end up eating so much more when I have all the options. Coming home from the grocery store and taking a little bite of everything is one of my favorite things!
Morgan @Endorphaholic recently posted..Mental Toughness

20 Mariana June 1, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Variety!!
Mariana recently posted..Ok ya! Les confieso

21 Sarah June 1, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I’m all kinds of about sampler platters. Reasons why I love family style food and buffets. Good to know I’m not the only weirdy who doesn’t think it’s odd to pair sweet foods with savory (ie: garlic-y) foods.

22 Alexa @ Simple Eats June 1, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Peanut butter and pear is one of my favorite combos! I’m a snack plate lovin’ girl, too! So good!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Friday Favorites

23 Merrie@ Strawberrylaces June 1, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I am so indecisive too! I like variety on my plate or with in one dish, like an elaborate salad. Your lunch looked fantabulous :-)
Merrie@ Strawberrylaces recently posted..June is Here- Friends!

24 Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! June 1, 2011 at 7:16 pm

It really depends on my mood. Sometimes I just want a BIG portion of a main dish and sometimes I want a little of everything!
Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! recently posted..Strawberry Sweat is now Go Chelsea Go!

25 Liz June 1, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Yes!! I just got groceries on Monday, and every meal has been all over the place because I just can’t decide which goodies I want first!

Great post!

26 Babs June 1, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I love the feeling of having a full house after grocery shopping :)
Babs recently posted..Will Walk for Bagels

27 Grace June 1, 2011 at 9:55 pm

So much of what I eat just depends on what I’m feeling at the time! I really love dipping all of my food though!
Grace recently posted..Sand Dunes- Ice Cream- and Puppies

28 Kayla @ SproutyBuns June 1, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I feel the same way about covering the treadmill! I do a lot of interval/timed workouts and feel like I’m looking at the time my entire workout – it’s my guiding light :) As for new groceries … I get excited on my drive home from the store thinking about what I’m going to munch on first!

29 Emily June 1, 2011 at 10:24 pm

It depends on the day! Sometimes we do more of tapas style for dinner so its like a lot of small appetizers so there is some variety of food :)
Emily recently posted..Confessions

30 Farrah June 1, 2011 at 10:28 pm

If I was cooking for just myself I would fill up my plate with a little bit of everything. Unfortunately, I also have to cook for three other people who aren’t quite as easy to feed as I am (boo!). I usually save my crazy food plates for lunchtime when I can have fun with it.
Farrah recently posted..Everything Brioche Hamburger Rolls

31 Alison @ Hospitality Haven June 1, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I’m loving that placemat or tablecloth you had in your pictures. What a vibrant backdrop for the melon! Also, the pear/peanut butter/cinnamon tortillas sounds fabulous! Right up my alley. :)

32 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out June 1, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I’m a grazer, so I really like variety. I mean LOVE.
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Wednesday’s Random Rambling

33 Khushboo June 1, 2011 at 11:20 pm

I cannot do 1-component meals. I love variety and I think it runs in my family- our dinner spread always contains at least 3-4 things! As much as I enjoy it, I can only imagine how much easier packing lunch would be if i rolled with 1 component meals!
Khushboo recently posted..Pro-tein versus Con-tein

34 Cait's a Runnerchick June 2, 2011 at 1:28 am

i’m totally with you when it comes to towels over treadmills! i can see where people who do it are coming from but it would just bug the heck out of me. usually i adjust the grade/pace throughout my run, but even if i wasn’t, having the screen covered up actually makes me MORE curious about where i’m at in my run! haha…but to each their own. :)

i also have a horrible case of indecisiveness, the more options i have the worse off i am! i’m a total mess in the actual grocery store because i keep seeing things i want and then end up taking waaaaay too much time and then spending too much too. ;)

35 Megan@eatmybeets June 2, 2011 at 3:01 pm

OMG! Peanut butter and pear sandwiches with cinnamon are literally my favorite! I’ve probably posted about them/raved to others enough to be categorized as crazy about the combo

36 sara June 19, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Mmmmm….everything looks so yummy! Nice photos:)
sara recently posted..Dominos menu