Please Enlighten Me

by Courtney on June 1, 2011

Put another “W” in the books, folks. Last night’s softball game was a victory!

Better yet, I only left with one little bruise on my shin and about three bug bites that blew up to about the size of a quarter. That’s not too shabby, I’ll take it.

This morning, I woke up knowing it was time for a run. I went a little off track from my training plan today and, instead, did this 5-4-3-2-1 Treadmill Run. By the time I was finished with my 5.6 miles, I was more than ready for my iced coffee…

…and I really was a sweaty mess, as evidenced by the sweat dripping down my nose. Pretty classy, right?

But before I move on to breakfast, I have something that I must ask you all.

You see, I’ve been seeing this forever now, but yesterday while I was at the gym, I guess it just really got me thinking.

How in the world do so many of you out there run on a treadmill covered with a towel???

Granted, a lot of the time when I’m running on the treadmill, I’m using some sort of treadmill workout where I need to know what the time is so I can switch my speeds/inclines. But even today, I attempted to try it for one of my five minute intervals and I must have peeked underneath at least eight times….

So I threw in the towel. (Sorry, I had to.) Winking smile

Do you cover the screen when using any cardio equipment? If so, WHY?!?

Please enlighten me. Smile

**********

I decided while running this morning that it was definitely another cereal kinda day, but when I opened my cabinet, I realized I had some decisions to make.

If you remember, I scored some pretty sweet deals yesterday while grocery shopping; one of which got me four new boxes of Kashi cereal for only $8.00.

***By the way, for anyone that has a Price Chopper nearby, Kashi cereals are on sale for $3.00/box, but if you use the iSave machine at the front of the store, there should be a coupon for $2.00 off any four boxes. I also had another coupon for $1.00 off of two, but since Price Chopper has double coupons this week, I doubled it. Boooyahh!***

So since I knew I don’t need four boxes of cereal open, I did some picking and choosing and decided on my tried and true Heart to Heart,

along with a new box: Kashi Golden Goodness. I also decided to stick it out with the Fiber One Honey Squares and threw some of them into the bowl too. You know I hate wasting food.

IMG_3916IMG_3918

A quick toss of blueberries and vanilla almond milk, and this bowl was good to go. I really, really enjoyed the Golden Goodness- it reminded me a bit of Wheaties and Raisin Bran Crunch…just without the raisins, duh.

The only thing to keep in mind with this cereal is that it gets soggy real quick. Janae, I’m talking to you here…you need to pick up a box of this for your soggy cereal-loving self. Smile

Alright, I’ve talked enough for this morning…time to go shower. I stink.

Questions for the Morning:

Do you cover the screen when using any cardio equipment? If so, WHY?!?

Cereal: Soggy or Crunchy?

1 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 1, 2011 at 9:45 am

8 bucks for 4 boxes of Kashi?! That is what I call a deal. I like crunchy cereal, with just a bit of milk – soggy cereal just doesn’t get the job done for me. If I want soggy cereal, I go with oatmeal.

You know, way back in the day, I used to cover my machine because I didn’t want to know how many miles I had left. NOW, I can’t imagine covering the screen. I need to chart my progress and keep track of how I’m feeling. However, I imagine that covering the “time screen” is a reason a lot of people throw that towel on there…
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Why I Love Summer Running in NYC

2 Emily June 1, 2011 at 9:46 am

I am a terrible person but any time I want to use the equipment for more than 30 minutes and people are around I’ll cover up the clock with a towel so lurkers can’t tell how long I’ve been on. Don’t judge me too much, I’m rarely ever at the gym so I feel okay taking my time when I am there!
Emily recently posted..This Is Not Goodbye

3 Courtney June 1, 2011 at 9:50 am

Ohhhhh, well that’s interesting! I never thought about that…

4 Khushboo June 1, 2011 at 9:52 am

Amazing job on the run! So glad you asked this question! I could never cover the treadmill screen as I am constantly changing the speeds. Otherwise I’d lose my mind! I do cover the screen of the elliptical with a magazine! I usually program it so it periodically changes the resistance automatically!
Khushboo recently posted..Pro-tein versus Con-tein

5 Corey June 1, 2011 at 9:53 am

If I am not doing intervals… I totally cover the screen. Otherwise I am just starring at the seconds and then run goes by slow. It’s just a mind game a guess :) But now what summer is here, outside running is so much more entertaining!! hehe
Cereal…. Crunch Crunch Crunch baby!
XO
Corey recently posted..Fragrant Fried Rice Pilaf adapted from Rachael Ray

6 Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. June 1, 2011 at 9:54 am

I only cover my cardio machine with a towel if it doesn’t have the option of counting down instead of up?! Isn’t that crazy? It’s mental thing but a countDOWN doesn’t bother me!
Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. recently posted..Soaking Up the Arizona Sun

7 Courtney June 1, 2011 at 10:12 am

Interesting!

8 Gloria June 1, 2011 at 9:55 am

Of all the cardio machines, the only one I cover is the treadmill. I have to, otherwise all I can focus on is how long I’ve been running for instead of actually enjoying the run.

Did you try the Rosa Regale dessert wine yet?

9 Courtney June 1, 2011 at 10:12 am

I haven’t yet…I still need to make it to the store!

10 Gloria June 1, 2011 at 11:51 am

Oh and also, congrats on another great win!

11 Lindsey June 1, 2011 at 9:59 am

I never used to eat cereal because of the soggy factor! I now buy cereals less likely to go soggy quick but still eat them fast just in case!
I have also wondered about the towel over the treadmill!
Lindsey recently posted..Almost Summer Saturday

12 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 1, 2011 at 10:04 am

Congrats on your softball victory :)

I CANNOT throw a towel on my treadmill/workout machine because I always like to switch up my speeds/elevations. I guess it’d be useful for someone who just wants to run at one pace, and doesn’t want to constantly check if a minute has gone by…

Oh man, I’ve gotta go to my grocery stores and see if they have a Kashi sale. That’s such a good deal!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Big Plans

13 Ruthie Hart June 1, 2011 at 10:04 am

ah I’ve never seen the Fiber One Honey Squares! I will definitely have to try those. And I wish my grocery store doubled coupons!!!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Cheesy Crockpot Mexican Chicken

14 Kelly June 1, 2011 at 10:17 am

I hate soggy cereal!!
Kelly recently posted..and i survived

15 Melissa June 1, 2011 at 10:21 am

I *always* cover the display! Otherwise, I am constantly checking the display. It makes the time go by faster for me. If I’m doing intervals, I don’t keep it covered the whole time, but I will still cover it. It’s totally a mental thing!

I like crunchy cereal. Well, crunchy anything, really. I like my food to make noise! :)

16 Brooke June 1, 2011 at 10:27 am

I cover my treadmill only when i run. I do this becasue i stare at the the time and it goes by soooo slowly, feeling like my run is longer then it is. I obviously can’t do this if im doing intervals but on long runs (which is mostly what i do) I have to cover!
Brooke recently posted..Day 9

17 Steph @ StephSnacks June 1, 2011 at 10:35 am

I love my cereal crunchy! I don’t cover my treadmill with a towel, but I do read a magazine. It helps the time pass!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..A Wonderful Weekend

18 Christina June 1, 2011 at 10:35 am

I hate soggy cereal!! I generally don’t even eat cereal with milk on it because I hate it so much.

I never cover the screen — I like to know how far I’ve gone and how much time I have left. I used to hate running outdoors before my garmin for the same reason, unless it was laps around a lake or track or something.

19 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun June 1, 2011 at 10:41 am

I usually don’t cover either bec needing to know times for intervals, but I will when I am just doing a steady workout.

And cereal must be crunchy. Soggy makes me gag.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self-Love Reflection- Overcoming Binging

20 Kayleigh June 1, 2011 at 10:45 am

Sometimes I cover it when I don’t want to get too wrapped up into the numbers. As a recovering anorexics, numbers used to be very important for me. When I watched the calories go up, it became too much about the calories and less about the workout!

I LOVE crunchy cereal so much that I actually stopped pouring my milk directly into the bowl. I now have a cup of milk on the side just in case I want some, but I love the crunchy-ness!
Kayleigh recently posted..If beauty were time-

21 Bethany June 1, 2011 at 10:51 am

I cover my treadmill when I am at home, it’s harder for me to run at home and when it’s covered I am not 100% focusing on the miles/calories I just focus on my running (although I peak every 5 minutes or so and finally at 20 minutes I throw off the shirt thats usually covering it up!) At the gym however, I do not cover it but I do stare at it a lot since I do intervals :) Cereal for me is CRUNCHY~I do not like soggy cereal. Never have!!
Bethany recently posted..Skittles and Bethany NOT FRIENDS

22 Jess@atasteofconfidence June 1, 2011 at 10:52 am

I don’t do it, but I always assumed people did it to make the workout go by faster— if you’re not watching it every second, or .1 of a mile, it is nice to look under the towel and see you ran a mile already. Just speculation, though!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Almost Wordless Memorial Day Weekend

23 Tara Burner June 1, 2011 at 11:20 am

I wish I could get that deal on the cereal!!!
as far as cardio…I dont use treadmill but do have bike in my condo and yes most times I do cover it but with my ipad since I’m usually in a twitter party (fitblog, fitstudio, mamavation, runningchat) so it’s ideal place to lay the ipad
Sometimes I’m reading a magazine
It’s the place I go to get good cardio while doing something else and I’m not too concerned w/the display since I put in 75-90 mins on it and am more concerned w/just keeping up with the pace and getting my time in lol
I prefer running outside though I think my condo gym has a treadmill in it, not totally sure since I’ve never been down there!
so i’m guilty of covering my panel on my bike but I justify it :)
Tara Burner recently posted..How many push ups

24 Emily June 1, 2011 at 11:22 am

Crunchy!!! But in the past, if a cereal gets too soggy too fast with milk, I use it for my yogurt bowls. It doesn’t “sog up” as quickly.
Emily recently posted..Smokey Robinson’s Vaca

25 Caitlin @ TPL June 1, 2011 at 11:22 am

I always cover my cardio equipment! It’s way too daunting to have the time staring me in the face the whole time, when I run outside I don’t stare at my watch the whole time!

26 aubrey @ italktofood June 1, 2011 at 11:22 am

i would love to be in your position to make a decision of which of all those wonderful cereals to eat!

I never knew how runners covered up the treadmill. I’d be so curious to see what im doing! I also change my pace and everything often too, so I wouldnt be able to do it.

Although, maybe it’d be fun to try one day if I had to do a long run on a TR.
aubrey @ italktofood recently posted..EVERYTHING i eat challenge

27 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 1, 2011 at 11:22 am

Holy moly, that’s a lot of cereal! ;)
I don’t understand the towel thing either – I always have to see the time!

28 Kelly @foodiefresh June 1, 2011 at 11:22 am

I used to cover the screen of the treadmill when I was just running to cover the miles. When I consistently run at the same pace, it is torture to have that screen glaring at me, telling me I’ve only been X amount of miles with X more to go. However, now that I almost always run hills, do speed work, or both I don’t cover it for two reasons: 1 – It’s impossible to correctly change the settings if you can’t see the screen and 2 – Speed work and hills make the time go by faster (IMO) so there’s no reason to cover the screen. I bet the people you see doing this are running at consistent speeds and inclines and are trying to distract themselves from constantly looking at the screen.
Kelly @foodiefresh recently posted..Backpacking day 1

29 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy June 1, 2011 at 11:26 am

I cover up the display occasionally, usually when I know I want to get in a difficult workout. If I’m able to look at the screen, I psyche myself out, checking how many minutes I have left way too frequently. If I cover it up, I can listen to my music or watch TV without the added distraction/pressure of the ticking timer.
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..A letter to my 17-year-old self

30 Amy @Vitamin Amy June 1, 2011 at 11:54 am

I totally took advantage of the Kashi deal this week too! I could NOT pass it up :) I now have wayyy too many boxes of cereal haha
Amy @Vitamin Amy recently posted..Peaches Basil Red Onion

31 Amanda June 1, 2011 at 11:54 am

When I used to belong to a gym, I would cover the screen because I could NOT know how much was left or it would be torture. I would either set a distance or a program, so I would never have to know or manually adjust anything!!
Amanda recently posted..Milo Man 2003-2011

32 Veronica (Run Write Repeat) June 1, 2011 at 11:56 am

All of those boxes of Kashi make me jealous.

If i’m just doing a regular, steady run, i tend to throw the towel on the screen for multiple reasons. first, i find it annoying to see how far i have to go. personal preference.
but the main reason is because I don’t want to see the calorie count. I was a compulsive exerciser with an eating disorder for a long time, and ran strictly for calories. now that it’s actually FUN for me to run, i don’t care about the calorie count, and don’t want even a chance that i’ll be triggered.
Veronica (Run Write Repeat) recently posted..Dirty Day

33 Brittany June 1, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I put the towel over cardio machines, too. I do it so that i’m not focused on the time going by slowly, but rather on the exercise that i’m getting.
Brittany recently posted..Fitbloggin recap

34 Julia June 1, 2011 at 12:11 pm

The only times I covered the the time on workout machines was when I was very casually working out on the few machines in my dorm. Sometimes I would take a break and have a light workout by watching a TV show on my laptop while on the elliptical or if I was doing some reading for classes on the bike.
If I’m actually trying to get in a focused workout I peak too much and it becomes a problem.
Julia recently posted..Happy Memorial Day!

35 Crista June 1, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I do cover the treadmill with my towel if I’m having trouble motivating myself to run for a period of time. Then I turn up my iPod and go as long as I can without checking. It allows me to focus on something other then those digital numbers. They can drive me nuts if I’m just trying to cover distance. However I have had numerous people ask me why I do that or laugh out loud when they pass my treadmill :)

I like my cereal crunchy CRUNCHY CRUNCHY!!!
Crista recently posted..Day 14 – Hump Day is my Monday

36 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 1, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I’ve seen a ton of people do that too but don’t do it myself – it’s important to me to know how much longer I have to run – distance and time wise. I guess it’s counterproductive for some people.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Hot Yoga at Home and WIAW

37 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 1, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I used to cover up the screen when I was on the treadmill, but I don’t anymore. The reason why I stopped was because it was making me dreeeaaaad the time on the e treatdmill, when I actually really like to run!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food phases

38 Erika June 1, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I ALWAYS cover the screen, that way I’m not disappointed if I’ve only run something lame like 1 min when I feel like I’ve been on an hr! Ha that’s why I download upbeat music to my iPod so I’m singing along. It also helps when the TV’s on in the gym or I have a magazine, it totally takes my mind off of it

39 Grace June 1, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I don’t cover the screen on mine…although sometimes it might be a good idea? I just never thought of it! I love crunch cereal…always!
Grace recently posted..Sand Dunes- Ice Cream- and Puppies

40 Anita June 1, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I’m totally with ya on the towel covering! I like to keep my stats in mind so that I can motivate myself!

I’m off to go workout myself! :)
Anita recently posted..Cabin Camping

41 Amanda @ The Beauty Notebooks June 1, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Love your Kashi collection! When it comes to cereal, I am such a Kashi girl at heart.

42 Samantha June 1, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I cover the screen on the elliptical when I”m using it because I usually just push as hard as I can for the allotted time. I do it because I find working out on gym equipment extremely boring, so I swear this makes the time go by faster when you can’t see it! On the treadmill though, I’ve tried, I peek – plus I’m usually doing intervals.
Samantha recently posted..Valuable Lesson Learned Day 15

43 Alexis June 1, 2011 at 1:06 pm

that looks exactly like my cabinet! I love all kashi cereals. or at least most of them. They never disappoint. I try to do the whole cover the treadmill thing but it never works for me!
Alexis recently posted..WIAW!

44 sarahnotsoplainandtall June 1, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I ALWAYS cover the cardio equipment because I dont like to know how long Ive been going…makes time fly by!
sarahnotsoplainandtall recently posted..HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARGARITA!!

45 Jordan P June 1, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I agree with most of the other comments, I like to cover the machines with the towels so I don’t realize how long I’ve been on (OR how long I have left!!) I also don’t like to know when I’m doing inclines or the resistance goes up (on ellipticals) so my body just adjusts.

46 Stephanie Bragg June 1, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Good job on the softball win!

I can’t ever figure out why people cover the treadmill screen. I HAVE to see it. Otherwise I get obsessed with knowing what it says. Once I start getting tired I play games of trying to count along with the timer or random things that keep me distracted.

As cereal goes: Not soggy, but not crunchy. Leave it in just a little bit so that its in the middle, a little soggy, a little crunchy :)
Stephanie Bragg recently posted..Pizza Hogs

47 Erin June 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I typically read a magazine while I run (even as fast as 8.5 mi/hr I can manage it, that’s was my fastest when I did 5-4-3-2-1 this morning). Reading makes the time go faster and it makes it so I’m not checking the time ever 30 seconds!!

Mainly crunchy, sometimes soggy. . .

48 Charlie June 1, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Haha thanks for asking the question, always wondered why people covered the screen too ;). Now reading the comments enlightens me :P.
Charlie recently posted..Blueberry- Coconut &amp Peanut Butter Smoothie

49 Jessica @ Bright-Eyes & Bushy-Tales June 1, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I do it sometimes (not as often as I used to!) to keep me from seeing how long I had been on there for, to prevent the “are we there yet” thoughts. Now that I’m doing more intervals, I have to see the screen, and I don’t get as bored as I used to! Good thing, because that darn towel used to always fall off and I almost tripped about a 1000 times! ;)
Jessica @ Bright-Eyes & Bushy-Tales recently posted..Burger Time

50 Yacine June 1, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I have wondered about that too. A couple of weeks ago I accidentally (!!) glanced over to the girl on the treadmill next to me which prompted her to hectically throw her towel over the machine. The towel, of course, fell down and with a look of panic in her eyes she jumped off the machine and ran towards the locker rooms. The only explanation is that some people are trying to hide their stats from others. Why, I have no idea!

But after reading the comments I do understand the idea of covering up your stats in order to run freely.
Yacine recently posted..Looks aren’t everything

51 Lindsay June 1, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I cover the TM because I run on there for a loonngg time, as much as 15 miles so I do it so I’m not staring at the screen the entire time. But, if I’m doing a shorter, interval run like you do I’ll watch the screen the whole time :)

52 Mariana June 1, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I don’t cover the screen either.
Mariana recently posted..Ok ya! Les confieso

53 Shayla June 1, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Whenever I’m on the treadmill I always always have to cover the screen so I don’t know how many miles I have left….and even better, I have the wicked ability to read while running (not very fast, just a 9:30 min. mile), so I get to read while running and I just love how the time goes by sooooo fast!! And I can usually approximate how far or how long I’ve gone by how many songs I’ve listened to so I don’t have to keep checking the screen ;) Although when I’m doing intervals, then yes obviously I can’t read and have to look at the screen….and I’m a crunchy cereal girl!

54 Shayla June 1, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Oh, and it’s always a magazine, not a book, that I can read. One like Shape or Self that’s easy to read and I can scan the words over easily :)

55 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries June 1, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I used to cover up the time with a towel because I would look down every 30 seconds and the workout seemed to take foreverrrrr. I don’t do it anymore because…well, I guess I don’t hate it as much ;) Or, I just avoid looking at the time! And as for the cereal – oh girl, it’s gotta be crunchy!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Brand Spankin’ New

56 Erica June 1, 2011 at 3:28 pm

i used to cover up the monitor because i would find myself just staring at the time and a minute would pass so slowly and i’d start thinking about how slowly the minute would pass and how i didn’t want to do it anymore. lol. i’d cover it to force myself to look elsewhere.

57 Cynthia (It All Changes) June 1, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I only cover it if I’m obsessing about the time. If I’m doing intervals I leave it uncovered to change incline and speed.

58 Jillian June 1, 2011 at 5:25 pm

That is so funny! I always yell at my boyfriend because he covers his with a towel…but I tried it and I ran further than I ever did before! I swear it works lol

59 Sarah June 1, 2011 at 6:10 pm

My screen gotsta stay uncovered! While I understand that watching the clock tick may make some people think the time is going slowwww, I just get SO BORED without regular updates. Sometimes I even watch the clock for minutes at a time.

60 Mac June 1, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I’m with you I generally do not cover my screen… in the rare occasion that I do, it is probably because I am dreading a workout and don’t want to check the time every 5 seconds.
Mac recently posted..Three Cheers for a Long Weekend!

61 Kristen June 2, 2011 at 12:17 am

I LOVEEE kashi cereal! But it has to be crunchy, soggy cereal is not a good texture for me (haha) and Im kindof jealous, wish my cabinet had all that cereal!
Kristen recently posted..3 New Ways to Attract More Twitter Followers from WordPresscom