Another Gym Observation

So tonight, I once again am headed out on the town (aka…to Panera) to meet up with my friend, Heather. I’m VERY excited to see her, considering the news that she told me the last time that we got together…I can’t wait to see her progress!

After my dinner date, I’ll be headed down to watch my favorite boys at their softball game. Word on the street is that it’s a big game tonight, so I hope they have their game faces on…

And I can only hope that these are not their game faces.

So since I probably won’t be home until later this evening, I thought I’d leave you all with a couple quick tangents…

****I updated the Q&A page today. I’m *pretty sure* I’ve finally got them all up there, but if there’s something I missed (or something you want me to add) don’t be shy…let me know!

****While looking up top there, you may have noticed my new Shop Page! I’ve just recently created my own Amazon store, which is filled with some of my favorite things…everything from cookbooks, to workout DVD’s, to kitchen tools. Feel free to check it out!

****Tomorrow is National Donut Day and Dunkin’ Donuts is offering a free donut with the purchase of any beverage.

Blueberry cake donut, here I come!

****I had another observation today while at the gym…

While I was in the middle of BodyPump this morning, I couldn’t help but find myself becoming very distracted by a woman who was just a few feet away from me. I see this particular woman in class very often, and am very aware of what it is that she does that distracts me, but for some reason it was just a lot more obvious today.

Okay, so what am I talking about? She is a grunter.

source

And not just a little grunt here or there…

I’ll admit, I’ve actually let out my own mini grunts in the middle of a good clean-and-press move every now and then. I felt pretty bad-ass when I did it, too.

But this woman is a serious grunter. Like, hardcore, not quite sure what the heck she’s thinking, almost afraid she’s going to pop a vein, grunting.

Okay, maybe that was a little drastic…but still…

Even after the track is over, she’s still filling the room with all sorts of “woooo’s” and heavy breathing.

I mean, more power to her, really, if she’s getting that great of a workout. But I’m sorry, today I just could not stop myself from cracking a smile. It was downright funny, and Jen and I had a pretty good laugh about it after class.

So this leads me to my questions for the night

Have you ever experienced any grunters at the gym?

Are you a grunter? (It’s ok, I admitted it!)

What’s the last thing that made you laugh while working out?

Comments

1. Chelsea M says

I’ve definitely seen those people in both the gym and sports. I remember playing soccer in high school and playing against a team with a player who grunted when she kicked! Very distracting when you’re trying to compete!!

Also thanks for the FYI on the donuts, it’s definitely a good thing to know!

This is why I think I’ll have a hard time going back to a big gym… so many annoyances!

I had the guy who grunted like crazy as he let the weights slam down- giving mini heart attacks to everyone around him.

And then there was the guy who grunted and screamed “avatar” after every set. He was fun…. ugh
    Amy B @ Second City Randomness recently posted..Running Lies

I’ll probably get some haters from this comment, but super loud and constant grunts at the gym annoy the crap out of me! I understand it’s just natural for some people, and I don’t judge them…it just makes me uncomfortable!

P.S. Just saw the agenda for HLS! I’m thinking about trying to get a ticket and then figure out the details later. I figure I’d be able to re-sell it if for some reason I can’t make it!

omg. my boyfriend is a grunter! not as bad as some people i’ve seen in the gym, but i was kind of shocked. lol. we used to work out at 24 hour, so i’d always be on the women’s floor and never heard him actually grunt, but now when we work out in our condo gym, it’s SO noticeable and i couldn’t help but giggle like a little girl.

an old guy on the rowing machine talking to himself to push himself to go faster…”Come on son!” “Goooooo!!” “You can do it! Go faster!”….it made me laugh loads!!

Oh my gosh! There is this grunter that I see very often in the mornings and it is beyond excessive. I mean, I’m borderline saying “WTF, dude?!” I’ve made faces, given him the stink eye, huffed and puffed while turning the TV waaayyy up. Oh, God. It’s just GROSS! Maybe it’s because he’s a middle aged man with long curly gray hair who tucks his shirt into his sweatpants and sweats to the max. Whew! I’m done! 😉
    Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Almost the Weekend

Oh man, at the gym I train my clients, there are guys who are just downright ridiculous at times. I can’t help but glance at my client and stifle a laugh. I think they just like to hear themselves, but yes, it can be very distracting!
    Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..In Hot Water

Haha when I workout I often end up laughing when I trip. It happens often…from uneven sidewalks.

I don’t grunt, but my sister sounds like she’s doing the dirty when she works out. Not exaggerating. She won’t work out at the gym, only at home, because of how bad it is
    Stephanie Bragg recently posted..In The Ghetto

Haha this topic is too funny. I know a lot of guys in my Body Pump class that grunt, but no women. HOWEVER, lots of women like to scream and yelp. It’s usually not distracting, and it’s actually kind of motivational sometimes.

I definitely don’t grunt, and I actually try to stay and cool and calm as possible.

Good luck to Jay on his game :)
    Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Cool Down

When I was in junior high, my dad got me a gym membership so I could stay in shape for soccer and track all year round. He went to a small, mom n pop type gym and they catered to a lot of body builders.
    Oh, I was skerred by some of those guys. Not to be crude, but you would think they were hitting the big O by the grunts, yells, and phrases they were emitting.
    Veronica (Run Write Repeat) recently posted..National Running Day

11. Ashley says

I’m new(er) to your blog and love stopping by to read! I can’t stand the big time grunters at the gym!! I’ve noticed that most the time they look around to see who is watching and then grunt really loud. Yes, we can hear you! Thanks! Haha, good post!

12. Susan says

I’ve definitely experienced grunters at the gym, however 99.9% percent of them were male.. one of them stands out to me the most though. This guy was in his late 40s, and his grunts were just downright disturbing (if you catch my drift..)! Actually, most grunts I’ve heard that come from men are pretty downright disturbing.

I have let out a mini grunt of my own while ATTEMPTING to lift a heavier weight than usual, which lead to me letting out a mini laugh because I couldn’t lift it, haha. I also tend to make weird facial expressions when lifting, no idea why, but but I guess my facial muscles like to get a workout in too!

I am a grunter but only at home… :) And I would’ve smiled too…maybe even giggled…LOL! And thanks for the DD notice. I’m stopping there on my way to work tomorrow! Yay!
    Parita recently posted..WIAW 2

ugh! I get so annoyed with grunters too! Just yesterday this lady was making the biggest grunts/ whatever noise she was making with her mouth as she was running. I tried real hard but I couldn’t stop from staring. Is she serious? The noise wasn’t over, after she reached the end of the trail she let out phew after phew. I was so annoyed that I skipped my warm up and ran away as fast as I could.

15. Katie says

I’m not a grunter. My most difficult workouts are in my bikram yoga class and I’ll breathe heavily every once in a while, but that’s proper form!

There’s a woman in the class who is worse than a grunter–she’s a moaner! All class. The entire 85 minutes. I try to steer clear of her side of the room when I notice her before class starts!

There’s one guy at my gym that grunts so loud that everyone in the gym can hear him, while simultaneously throwing his big, manly weights on the ground. I’m pretty sure there must be some dents in the floor from him :). And when I can hear someone grunting through my ear buds and my music, it’s just annoying- I think they’re trying to show off.
    Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..The blog world’s filled with kindness

haha I am NOT a grunter. I completely understand the need for a good grunt every now and then. But there are some people that could turn grunting into a whole different workout!

I go to the gym late at night a lot and that is where I find the most weirdos ;-)There is this guy that looks like Richard Simmons at my gym who I’ve never actually seen work out. Usually he just paces around while listening to music…it is quite strange!
    Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy Living Girl” recently posted..Sometimes Healthy – A Day in the Life

Haha grunters makes me laugh! I find guys who grunt to be obnoxious but when girls do it, I think they’re all bad ass! I don’t grunt but I have found myself singing out sound occasionally- sometimes u can’t help but get lost in the music!
    Khushboo recently posted..Pro-tein versus Con-tein

Most of the time I just try to ignore the meat head gym grunters. Sometimes it is so over the top that I can’t help but stare. Depending on my mood though I may just laugh and ignore it or I have been a bit grumpy and this just sent me over the top and I have actually left the gym because of it…..sad!
    Aleasha recently posted..Let them eatIce Creamand Fish Tacos

Hahahaha girl you cracked me up with your grunter story! 😀

I’ve experienced grunters in the gym yes, Mostly big men with big muscles letting the entire gym know that they’re lifting weights..

oh dear :)
    ellalinea recently posted..Weekend Recap- BBQ time!

Hahaha . . . love it. I can’t say I’m a grunter nor is anyone in my Bodypump class (at least no one near me). Now I’m going to be listening for grunts.
    Babs recently posted..First Day Done

My mom is a serious workout grunter. It’s kind of painful to listen to, especially since my brother and I have noticed that the sound doesn’t really sound like grunting, it sounds like something else. That your kids should never have to hear. Sorry if I made it awkward for everyone in the comments section, haha.
    Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Kick the Lag

One time over this winter when I was at the YMCA running on the treadmill, this guy got on next to me, started running and randomly yelling out things like: that’s it, keep it up, oh yea, you got it now, etc. I tried to turn up my headphones but I couldn’t drown him out! Thankfully his motivational phrases didn’t help him last too long on the treadmill. . .

There are SO many grunters at my gym. I can think of 2 specific ones, a woman in spin class and a huge guy who weight lifts.
    I don’t understand?!
    Do they mean to do it or is it random?

Regardless, I laugh EVERY time, and can’t help but stare… haha!

Like you said, all the power to them! … Just wish they could do it in their head, instead of out loud! 😉

I remember a long time ago, there was a man in the gym that passed in front of the mirror and checked himself out. And when he passed the mirror, he changed his mind and went back a little to flex his muscles and check himself out again. And then he came back 30 seconds later.
    Seriously, get over yourself!
    Charlie recently posted..Chana Masala &amp How to Cook Beans

26. Melissa says

Believe it or not, they actually banned grunting at my gym…there are signs everywhere that say “no grunting”. But apparently loud singing is still permitted, because there is a woman who always runs on the treadmill next to me and sings along to her iPod LOUD. I get a kick out of it!

Haha! I love it. I get annoyed semi-easily at the gym, so I have to avoid going in the afternoons/evenings. Because I go really early in the morning, I can’t say I’ve seen anything too comical in a while… well, except for this one guy who just looks goofy, but that’s about it.

Have a great weekend!
    Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers recently posted..A Fun-Stuff-Friday Mix

the last thing that made me laugh working out :

So husband and I have been watching all of the old episodes of True blood for the past month from Netflix, so…. I’m at the gym working out and this guy comes in with 2 big red marks on his neck and the first thing I think to myself is “oh my gosh that poor guy musta gotten bit by one of those vampires” hahaha…. to which I immediately started laughing and thought “oh my gosh Angie, you’ve been watching to much true blood”
    Angie @ Bigbearswife recently posted..Minnie Mouse Oreo Cookies