Sangria With Sarah

by Courtney on June 2, 2011

Happy Thursday everyone! How’s your day starting off?

Mine, as usual, started off nice and early with a little BodyPump action, followed by about 20 minutes worth of elliptical intervals. I upped my weights in a couple tracks and I definitely think I’ll be feelin’ it tomorrow!

So last night I was MIA because lucky me was out having a blast with my girl, Sarah.

We met up for dinner and drinks at JJ Rafferty’s, and enjoyed our evening outdoors on their patio. In case you haven’t noticed a pattern, I’m totally addicted to dining outdoors once the weather heats up.

We each enjoyed a delicious glass of sangria, which I would say definitely rivaled the tasty glass that I enjoyed in Baltimore a couple weeks ago. It was good, and I loved all the fresh fruit.

For dinner, I ordered their Summer Salad with grilled chicken which, according to their menu, was a spinach salad topped with fresh grilled zucchini and summer squash, tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots, scallions, and a ginger balsamic dressing.

To be honest, the salad was kind of lame-o. I mean, it tasted fine- the chicken was fresh, the dressing was great, and don’t even get me started on the amazing garlic bread- but for $13.98, I would have appreciated a few more veggies than the 5 slices of zucchini they gave me.

Hey, no big deal. I was in good company, and we were having such a great time chatting away that I hardly paid attention. It was almost a good three hours later by the time we decided to pack it up and call it a night.

And for the record, neither of us really like this picture at all, but I told her I was going to put it up anyways…you know, for the blog’s sake. Winking smile

Thanks again for a great night, Sarah!

**********

As soon as I got back from the gym this morning, I quickly got to work on whipping up a batch of these

I was given a special request from one of Jay’s co-workers for these little guys, which he apparently spotted while scoping out the recipes here on the blog. Just the mere fact that he was even on my blog was reason enough for me to fill his request…

So if you’re reading Jamie, they’re on their way this afternoon! Winking smile

Once I got these bad boys into the oven, and thoroughly licked the batter off the spoon of course, it was time for some breakfast.

Today’s meal of champs came in the form of two toasted Van’s Lite Waffles, topped with some TJ’s almond butter with flax, banana slices, chia seeds, and a little drizzle of maple syrup.

I just realized right now, as I was looking at this picture, that I totally forgot to add my cinnamon. Darn it. I hate when that happens. But funny how I didn’t notice it once while eating them. Hmmmm…

In true Courtney fashion, I sipped on an iced coffee to round out the meal.

I must actually thank all of YOU for today’s breakfast. All I really wanted to do was pour another bowl of cereal, but since I’ve given you that the past two days, I figured it was time to change things up.

Thanks for keeping me from becoming too mundane my friends. You guys rock…in case you didn’t already know it. Winking smile

Question for the Morning:

If you could only have one breakfast choice for a week straight, what would you choose?

1 samantha @ fresh n fit June 2, 2011 at 8:57 am

I love sangria! So fruity & summery & yummmyyy (:

If I could only have ONE breakfast, it would totally be oatmeal — you can do so much with it!
samantha @ fresh n fit recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday! Numero Uno!

2 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign June 2, 2011 at 8:58 am

I hate when restaurants skimp on things too–for the money you pay, you should get a lot more.

I’d choose oatmeal for the same breakfast each day since you can switch it up with different toppings without it getting too boring.
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Panini Houdini Sweet Potato Rounds

3 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 2, 2011 at 8:59 am

Your dinner sounds so refreshing! But I actually love sangria with white wine even more ;)

How do you resist eating your delicious baked goods! Especially before breakfast and after Body Pump…?!

If I could die eating one breakfast, I’d choose oatmeal. I love it cold, hot, in pancakes, whatever!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Stuffed

4 Courtney June 2, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Oh I totally licked the spoon clean…and nibbled on some broken pieces too ;)

5 Tori (Fresh Fruition) June 2, 2011 at 9:01 am

It’s so lame when you have to pay over 10 dollars for a so-so salad. I love me some veggies, so I totally understand why you would be disappointed in a salad that lacked in that department!
Tori (Fresh Fruition) recently posted..Whole Foods After the Zoo

6 Lindsey June 2, 2011 at 9:09 am

Peanut butter toast with banana, I think it is the least likely thing I would be sick of and not totally hate after! I love PB and actually probably ate PB toast everyday for 3 years for breakfast…if not longer!

7 Colleen June 2, 2011 at 9:10 am

Bummer about your salad, but the sangria looks awesome!

I would eat Kashi Cinnamon Harvest with almond milk, walnuts, and frozen berries…eating it right now :)
Colleen recently posted..Foodie ABC’s

8 Cute~Ella June 2, 2011 at 9:10 am

One choice for a whole week? Special K Red Berry Cereal and peanut butter on English muffin w/ strawberry slices.
Cute~Ella recently posted..Sharing is Caring – Taco Bites a’la Sue

9 Kelly June 2, 2011 at 9:12 am

I would do bagel sandwiches!!
Kelly recently posted..and i survived

10 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) June 2, 2011 at 9:17 am

Mmm, there’s nothing better than a glass of sangria on a hot (almost) summer night! I actually prefer red over white, which is strange since I don’t really like red wine on its own.

Bagels everyday. How could that get old?! The bagels would be carb free and full of protein and vitamins, of course. ;)
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Easy Mango Pudding

11 Courtney June 2, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Me too! I really like red sangria but always prefer white wine :)

12 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 2, 2011 at 9:43 am

That’s so sweet that Jay’s coworkers read your blog. How flattering! Nice name too ;-)

I think if I could control myself, I’d have cereal every day for breakfast…sugar cereal. Like fruity pebbles, cocoa krispies, fruit loops, frosted flakes and apple jacks. YUM I don’t actually eat that stuff on a normal basis but I kind of love it!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Why I Love Summer Running in NYC

13 Sarah June 2, 2011 at 9:54 am

Sangria is definitely one of my favorite drinks during the summer… well… and the rest of the year as well.
If I had to pick one breakfast, I’d go the greek yogurt route. I mix in SO many different things. Right now I’m eating it with some sugar free cheesecake pudding mix mixed in, frozen pineapple bits, PB2, and cereal. Such a combo bowl.

14 Courtney June 2, 2011 at 12:39 pm

That sounds incredible!

15 Melissa June 2, 2011 at 9:55 am

I post pics “for the blog’s sake” sometimes, too! You both still look so pretty, though, so I’m not sure what you’re talking about!

Bummer on the salad–I get so irritated when it seems like someone has rationed out the fruit or veggie toppings on my salad. Grrr!

I eat a muffin pretty much every day for breakfast . . . I love breakfast food, but I’m not usually all that hungry until later in the day, so my breakfasts stay pretty light. I like reading about yours, though! :D

16 Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 2, 2011 at 9:59 am

That breakfast looks amazing!! I love doing that with waffles! It’s such a filling breakfast that feels indulgent. Silly me forgot to buy them at the market, though, so I have to roll with English muffins instead :(
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Raise Your Glass

17 Stephanie @cookinfanatic June 2, 2011 at 10:21 am

I eat the same breakfast every morning hahaha, it’s one of my favorite things in the world and I seriously can’t get enough of it: whipped oat bran w/ smashed banana, raisins, coconut oil & peanut butter. So. Good!
Stephanie @cookinfanatic recently posted..Cilantro Lime Chickpea Salad from Heather’s Dish &amp Okra “Fries”!

18 Courtney June 2, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I would have thought Chobani?? ;)

19 Stephanie @cookinfanatic June 2, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Chobani is my daily afternoon snack!!! Perfect amount of protein to hold me over until my workout is over and dinner is served :)

20 Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries June 2, 2011 at 10:25 am

That’s a tough one because I love to switch up my breakfasts! My favorite right now is peanut butter, almond milk, cacao powder, banana, and chia seed smoothie. Yum and perfect for a hot day!
Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries recently posted..The Fabulous ER Life

21 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 2, 2011 at 10:26 am

I usually stick with the same breakfast every.single.morning! I’ve had Greek yogurt, homemade granola and chia seeds for such a long time. I’m not sick of it yet!

22 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun June 2, 2011 at 10:29 am

I keep so many pictures that aren’t that great solely for the blog’s sake.

23 Samantha June 2, 2011 at 10:32 am

I could eat oatmeal everyday…and usually do :)

24 Lauren June 2, 2011 at 10:32 am

Oatmeal – Hands down my favorite breakfast. I love that there are so many ways to mix it up!

That Sangria looks amazing – I’m definitely going to have some this weekend.
Lauren recently posted..A Brief Overview of my Trip to Disney Days 1-3

25 Jennifer@ knackfornutrition June 2, 2011 at 10:44 am

I thought the picture of sangria looked good until I scrolled down and saw that dessert. Oh my goodness!

If I could eat the same thing for a week straight it would be oatmeal with egg whites and peanut butter.
Jennifer@ knackfornutrition recently posted..Three Things Thursday- Fish Edition

26 Farrah June 2, 2011 at 10:47 am

It would be a toss up for me. I *love* egg whites in the morning. Egg whites with half a slice of reduced fat cheese, a little spinach and a sprinkle of onion salt on mastorianni bread.

I have another breakfast that is totally a favorite, though. 1/2 cup Quaker Oatmeal Squares with cut up strawberries, blueberries, banana slices and almond milk.

Either of those and I’m happy as a clam! :)
Farrah recently posted..Everything Brioche Hamburger Rolls

27 Courtney June 2, 2011 at 12:38 pm

LOVE mastoianni bread!!!! :-D

28 Khushboo June 2, 2011 at 10:48 am

I hate stingy restaurants! I’m going through a phase of eating overnight oats but I can feel myself getting bored. Before I start to dread it, Im going to shake things up tomo morning!

29 Chelsea M June 2, 2011 at 11:03 am

I had one of those dinners with a girlfriend on Tuesday, it’s so great to be able to catch up even if the food wasn’t amazing.

I alternate between egg whites with cheese and an English Muffin or an oatmeal bowl including bananas, almond butter almond milk and chia seeds. If I had to choose one I would choose oatmeal it’s so fulling and tasty!

30 Corey June 2, 2011 at 11:14 am

I totally get stuck in the breakfast rut! I need to stop. Thanks for the motivation. I know I asked you about where you got your chia seed… and I did order some, so thank you… but I have to ask…. I know it is supposed to make you feel full after eating. Do you find that to be the case, so just eat them for all the other health benefits? Thanks Homie!
XO – Corey
Corey recently posted..Bento Love- Shaun the Sheep

31 Courtney June 2, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I don’t notice much of a difference in it making me feel more or less full…I just like them for the texture and because I know I’m getting some extra omega-3′s :)

32 Mac June 2, 2011 at 11:14 am

Big fan of sangria, I really want to try making my own! As for breakfast, I would choose mango/tropical fruit smoothies for breakfast everyday!
Mac recently posted..Three Cheers for a Long Weekend!

33 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) June 2, 2011 at 11:19 am

Breakfast of choice: sunnyside up egg on a piece of whole wheat toast with an orange on the side :D

34 Mariana June 2, 2011 at 11:32 am

French toast :)

35 Kelly June 2, 2011 at 11:40 am

I think what I had yesterday! Greek yogurt with blueberries and my new pumpkin granola. I could eat that allll week. :)
Kelly recently posted..Laundry Day

36 Christina June 2, 2011 at 11:47 am

Love sangria — it’s so refreshing in the summer :)

I eat the same exact thing for breakfast every morning — oatmeal with chocolate protein powder, peanut butter, and craisins. With a banana on the side. I never ever get sick of it! It’s like peanut butter cup oatmeal :)
On the weekends, I like to have spinach and cheese omlettes though. My boyfriend is an omlette master so I let him cook ;)

37 Alexis June 2, 2011 at 11:48 am

ah i love van’s lite waffles! I almost had some this morning but cereal was just calling my name. That’s what I would eat every morning! but i try to change it up.
Alexis recently posted..WIAW!

38 Lina June 2, 2011 at 12:02 pm

First and foremost — coffee is a must! Other than that, if it’s the summer time, I could legit have a smoothie for breakfast every morning!! This is the one I had this morning (http://lilbinthebigc.blogspot.com/2011/06/get-your-motor-runnin.html) it was so refreshing!!!

39 Karina June 2, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Yum! Your breakfast looks great! I could eat protein pancakes every day!!

40 Liz @ IHeartVegetables June 2, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Oh my gosh, I’ve been wanting Sangria!!! But I have to wait until this sugar free challenge is over! haha
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..Vacation Sweetness!

41 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl June 2, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I go weeks with the same breakfast…I’m so boring!

I eat just a simple egg and cheese on a Thomas’ Everything Bagel Thin with a side of some kind of fruit. Mmmm
Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl recently posted..The Happiness Project

42 Parita @ myinnershakti June 2, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I think I would have to go with the famous CCK cookie dough boatmeal. Soo good (and filling too)! I think you’d definitely enjoy it – especially with some coffee!
Parita @ myinnershakti recently posted..WIAW 2

43 Steph @ StephSnacks June 2, 2011 at 1:03 pm

That sangria looks really yummy! If I had to pick any breakfast to eat for a week straight it would consist of some sort of yogurt parfait!

44 Jillian June 2, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I would have Fitnessista’s cookie dough cereal….or oatmeal with all the mix-ins! I just don’t have time for anything other than a protein shake after my morning workout because I am always late for work! lol You reminded me I need to get Van’s waffles…those are good for on the go too!

45 Erica June 2, 2011 at 2:36 pm

smoothies!!! although lately they haven’t been filling me up for long :(

46 Stephanie Bragg June 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Right now, smoothies. But i pretty much made a bowl of yogurt+fruit+cereal for breakfast everyday for a few months last year so apparently I can’t get tired of that
Stephanie Bragg recently posted..In The Ghetto

47 Kelly @foodiefresh June 2, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Smoothie in the heat and oatmeal in the cold. Those will always be my two favorites. :)
Kelly @foodiefresh recently posted..Backpacking day 1

48 Yacine June 2, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Same here, I could have smoothies all day long right now.
Yacine recently posted..Looks aren’t everything

49 kristen June 3, 2011 at 12:26 pm

blondies look delicious (im printing the recipe! YUM!)
My recent kick is an egg sandwich, but I love my oatmeal pancake. (its a tough call hah)
kristen recently posted..3 New Ways to Attract More Twitter Followers from WordPresscom

50 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 3, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I love baking before breakfast! It’s one of my favorites!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food phases