A Few Announcements + A Major Jackpot

by Courtney on June 3, 2011

Whenever I know that I’m going to have an indulgent treat ahead of me, I always try to push a little harder in my workout. Today, I was really only planning on doing some yoga, but ended up doing the ‘ol switcheroo and focused on abs instead.

I flipped on Exercise on Demand and completed the following workouts:

Doing these two workouts back to back was intense. My legs are actually super sore from yesterday’s BodyPump class, and I wasn’t able to fully do some of Jackie’s moves. I was feelin’ the buuuuurn and really wanted to give up a few times, but I didn’t…

Because I knew I had this to look forward to.

I went out and grabbed iced coffee #2 for the day, and for good reason…I wanted my free donut on National Donut Day!

Because I arrived just before noon, I had a feeling there would be slim pickins for my donut selection. Sure enough, the donuts were scarce and my beloved blueberry cake donut was nowhere in sight. But after a little more perusing of the shelves, I spotted a tray of blueberry cake munchkins.

So I put forth my sweetest, friendliest self, asking if it would be at all possible to get an equivalent amount of munchkins in place of my free donut. The cashier had no choice but to agree…I had him hooked. I guess I just didn’t realize how much…

Talk about hitting the jackpot, right?!? That, my friends, is 10 munchkins…for FREE! Last time I checked, I didn’t think I could get 10 munchkins out of one donut.

Apparently, my persuasion with cashiers is more powerful than I thought? Winking smile

So far, I’ve had three and I’m going to try reeeeeally hard to go no more than five. Hopefully Jay gets home early today…I can already feel my self control waning.

**********

In Other News…

And guess who’s speaking???

ME! Open-mouthed smile

I’m going to be speaking on a panel about “Rising Above Negativity” with Julie, Brittany, and Heather and I couldn’t be more excited (and nervous at the same time). The event is taking place August 19-20th in Philadelphia, PA and tickets go on sale this Monday. Anyone can go and I can promise you, if it’s anything like last year, it’s going to be a blast!!

Well, as an anniversary celebration, they are offering you 12% OFF anything on their website! When checking out, just use the code 2YRPARTY in the coupon code space. This discount is valid through this weekend, ending 6/5/11. ENJOY!

• Last but not least, a little birdie told me that there mayyyy or may not be a secret little giveaway over on the STSL Facebook Page…you might want to check it out just to make sure. Winking smile

Question for the Afternoon:

How are you when it comes to public speaking? Do you get all nervous and clammy like me, or cool as a cucumber?

Any tips for public speaking? Please share!

1 kate June 3, 2011 at 2:02 pm

ahh munchkins are soo cute lol I love them… im excited the summit is in PA I might be able to drive there :)

2 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries June 3, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Congratulations!! You’re going to a great job! :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Almost the Weekend

3 Christina June 3, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Congratulations!!!!! I unfortunately can’t go, but I’m sure it’ll be amazing. Good luck!

4 cailen June 3, 2011 at 2:15 pm

oh my gosh – how exciting!!! congrats on being chosen to speak. i’m only an hour from philly – i’m going to have to check this healthy living summit out! very cool

tgif!
cailen
cailen recently posted..la beauté

5 Lauren June 3, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Congrats – unfortunately I have no public speaking tips (I hate public speaking).
Lauren recently posted..A Brief Overview of my Trip to Disney Days 1-3

6 Becca June 3, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I’m horrible with public speaking! I get SO nervous… unless it’s something I know inside out! totally normal I guess? confidence = less nerves!
Becca recently posted..Dear Canada Post…

7 Emily June 3, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Wow, 10 munchkins. haha. You must have been reallllllllllly sweet.

And I think that the best way to be “cool as a cuke” is to be completely passionate about what you’re talking about. I give presentations quite often and I find I’m most natural when I’m talking about something I love to talk about (nutrition).

But I will say that I need to work on s-l-o-w-i-n-g down. I seem to speed through my sentences when I’m in front of people.

8 Mariana June 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmm munchkins!!

Actually, I enjoy public speaking. I think the keys on public speaking are self confidence and honesty. Its normal to get nervous, so don’t worry about that!

9 chloe @ 321delish June 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I wish DD was near meeee
chloe @ 321delish recently posted..Post Workout Pad Thai

10 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 3, 2011 at 2:27 pm

AHHH Congrats!! That’s such awesome news :) Now I HAVE to go to the HLS. I’m so excited to see what’s in store for this year.

I’m pretty nervous during public speaking when it’s for a project, or something very formal. But if I was speaking to people like my classmates or fellow bloggers, I don’t think that I’d be too nervous. I try to calm myself down by just telling myself it’s no big deal, and everyone’s there to support me.

Good luck and I know you’ll do great!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Loaded

11 Erin (Travel Eat Repeat) June 3, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I’m speaking, too, so now we HAVE to find each other in the crowd. ;)

My only tip (which I need to remember myself): slow down and don’t forget to breathe.
Erin (Travel Eat Repeat) recently posted..Young Small House Love

12 Cute~Ella June 3, 2011 at 2:33 pm

That is so cool. I do a bit of public speaking and actually had several classes of it in college (Communication & Rhetoric Degree right here!) so it doesn’t even come close to bothering me. Tips I can say? Breathe, pause and watch the audience. Be entertaining and engaging but not “funny” and enjoy it! They’re there because you know something they want to know about!
Cute~Ella recently posted..Sharing is Caring – Broccoli Salad

13 Shayla June 3, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I’m absolutely terrified of public speaking….having to take that course in college was by far the worst semester of my life…now that I’m older I’m a lot less shy, but back in high school and college social moments and public speaking upped my anxiety like none other….it gets better with each year I get older, ha!

I always wondered since you were an elementary school teacher and you say you get nervous public speaking, is it different to speak/teach in front of a sea of kids? I think I would get nervous with that too! LOL :)

14 Courtney June 3, 2011 at 3:30 pm

YES! I found it sooooooo much easter to speak in front of 100 kids rather than 10 adults…I don’t know what it is!

15 Krissie J June 3, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I gave my first conference presentation earlier this month! I always get a little nervous, but I enjoy public speaking. I generally don’t rehearse in front of anyone ahead of time (that makes me MORE nervous than speaking in front of strangers), but I go over my slides (if I have any) a few times making notes on the most important details I want to hit on.

I am planning to go and can’t wait to meet some people! I can definitely recommend good places in Philly since I have been living in and around the city for the last 10 years! :)
Krissie J recently posted..Seeing Green

16 Courtney June 3, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Awesome! I’d love to know where I should check out…ahem, fro yo places… ;)

17 Krissie J June 6, 2011 at 8:00 am

If you get over to South St, there is a Pinkberry-like place called Phileo, but I have yet to venture there so I cannot attest to it’s greatness (or non-greatness). There are two other places (one gelato, one euro-hot chocolate) you should definitely try: Capogiro and Naked Chocolate. :)
Krissie J recently posted..Seeing Green

18 Heather @ Girlyeverafter June 3, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Congrats on speaking! You’ll do great! If I am passionate about a topic and know my stuff I’m confident! You will be too!
Heather @ Girlyeverafter recently posted..Yoga on the Brain

19 Jillian June 3, 2011 at 2:45 pm

That is an amazing line up of speakers! I think I may try to go since I am only about 2 hours away here in NYC.

20 Faith @ lovelyascharged June 3, 2011 at 2:45 pm

You’ll do great at the presentation! I actually love public speaking – I always say God gave me a big mouth for a reason, might as well put it to use ;)
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..The Arnold Schwarzenegger of Coffee Makers

21 Courtney June 3, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Hahahaha…I love it! :)

22 Ruthie Hart June 3, 2011 at 2:49 pm

congrats! I wish I lived closer so I could go! I am an avid follower of yours and Julie’s blogs!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Embracing Michael Buble

23 Erica June 3, 2011 at 3:00 pm

you must be like my friend, she flashes this particular smile and she gets whatever she wants…sometimes scoring us free desserts at dinner! =) gotta love that, right?
10 munchkins….YUM. i want some too now.

i am a TERRIBLE public speaker!!! i get SO nervous i sometimes cry out of nervousness and my voice shakes and i rambles, and i’m just a complete mess. LOL

24 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" June 3, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Wow you really did hit the jackpot! 10 free munchkins. That is sooo Christmas in June.

I get nervous for public speaking as well. But I find that the more passionate I am about a subject matter, the easier it is. So, I’m sure you’ll have quite the easy time at HLS because you’re passionate about this stuff :-). I also avoid talking about it right before and try to loosen up by distracting myself.
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy Living Girl” recently posted..Sometimes Healthy – A Day in the Life

25 carissa June 3, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Don’t worry about the public speaking! If you speak like you write, using good visuals then your speech will be appealing. I was taught by a great speech coach to be” open and outward”. And people retain 7% of what you say, but a lot more of how you say it.

26 Sarah May C June 3, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I’m so pleased for you, congratulations! You really are an inspiration on how to rise above negativity so I think they picked the perfect speaker. I follow your blog for regular pick-me-ups!

27 Courtney June 3, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Awww, thank you so much, Sarah! That means a lot :)

28 Katie Gaffney June 3, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Congrats on speaking! What a great opportunity for you. The Summit sounds awesome. Is it for the public or bloggers? Also, I know this is a silly question but do you make your iced coffees or do you buy them? They look so delicious!

29 Courtney June 3, 2011 at 4:41 pm

HLS is for anyone! :)
And I do both…this morning I made my own iced coffee, but this afternoon I bought it.

30 Sarah June 3, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I love munchkins! They make me think of my childhood in-class bday celebrations. Everyone would bring a box of munchkins on their birthday.
Public speaking isn’t my favorite thing, but I handle it pretty well. Mind over matter! Just know that everyone there is truly interested in what you have to say, otherwise they’d be elsewhere!

31 Emmarie June 3, 2011 at 5:15 pm

The healthy living summit sounds like a great time. I’m going to try and make it. And for public speaking, I haven’t had to do it in years, but I’d like to think I’ve grown alot since the last time.
Emmarie recently posted..The past 4 days…

32 Amanda @ The Beauty Notebooks June 3, 2011 at 6:20 pm

So excited that you will be at HLS!! : ) Hopefully I will be there too. I would love to meet you!

33 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 3, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Congratulations on speaking on the panel! YOu’ll rock it!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food phases

34 Farrah June 3, 2011 at 8:47 pm

How exciting!! I am actually pretty good with public speaking (most of the time). I think the key to it for me is feeling confident about the topic I am speaking about. If I feel very knowledgeable about the topic I’m not nervous because I don’t worry that I’ll “look stupid”! lol

Sounds like fun! What kind of things do they do at the summit?
Farrah recently posted..Apple Tart Tatin

35 Courtney June 4, 2011 at 12:15 am

There’s usually a cocktail reception on Friday, lots of fun sessions on Saturday, good food, and just a great opportunity to network with people!

36 Julia June 3, 2011 at 11:17 pm

I’m always really relaxed about the idea of public speaking, but an hour before it happens I freak out. Usually once I get the ball rolling, I feel more comfortable and enjoy it. I’m one of those weird people who likes being interviewed, so if there’s a Q&A I take comfort in the fact if I mess up I can redeem myself.
Julia recently posted..Happy Memorial Day!

37 Khushboo June 4, 2011 at 6:14 am

Congrats on the panel! I’m just the same, me and public speaking do not go together! Totally feel you on the workout! Doubledosed on my workout yesterday as I knew this weekend meant lots of birthday cake :D
Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

38 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine June 4, 2011 at 8:46 am

Ahhh congrats on the speakership!! I cannot wait to hear you ladies :) Going to be so much fun!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Sleepy Saturday

39 Brandi June 4, 2011 at 9:52 am

So, you inspired me to go out and get DD for breakfast this morning. Those blueberry munchkins are the best.donuts.ever. How did I go my whole life without those things!?!? Incredible.

40 Courtney June 4, 2011 at 4:03 pm

You had never tried a blueberry munchkin??? Oh myyyyy….now you’re in trouble ;)

41 Brandi June 4, 2011 at 4:27 pm

And I don’t even LIKE donuts, but those are uh-mazing. Side note: I’m also a teacher (high school English – Ohio). You will land on your feet; I hope your job hunt is going well. Some new district will meet with you and snap you right up! You clearly have a sparkling personality and any district will see that right off the bat!

42 Courtney June 4, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Thanks, Brandi! :)

43 Holly June 8, 2011 at 2:37 pm

OMG! I didn’t even know they MADE the blueberry cake donut munchkins!! The blueberry donuts are my favorite too!! They are sooooo good!
Now I’m craving them & might just have to stop @ DD on my way home for some blueberry munchkins- I sure hope my DD has them! :)
Holly recently posted..Getting Prepped for the BIG Day!

44 Courtney June 8, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Bahahaha…btw, I love seeing you catching up on my older posts ;)