Our First Kitchen Table Dinner Guests

by Courtney on June 5, 2011

Yay for dinner guests!! Especially when it’s Mom & Dad!

This morning, I called up the ‘rents to see what they had planned for dinner and whether or not they wanted to come and help us figure out if we could seat four people at our new kitchen table. Luckily, they were free…

And better yet, we can seat four people at the table. It’s a tight squeeze, but it works.

And lucky me even got to sit across from this all night…

My dad sure is a character, and I can guarantee he didn’t think I’d put this picture up. Mwaaahahaha. Winking smile

******

Tonight’s dinner is not going to look a whole lot different from what you’ve been seeing lately. Sorry…but the grill is now in mid-season form and will continue to be getting quite a workout.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again…there’s nothing like grilling when the weather warms up! Smile

Especially when hubby works his magic and makes some of the most amazing grilled chicken I’ve ever had. Not kidding.

His secret? Bread dipping seasoning blends. They’re soooo full of flavor, so he likes to mix those, along with some EVOO + water when marinating. We often use this blend of spices, which has proven to be quite versatile. It’s our absolute favorite.

Seeing as it’s so versatile, I also decided to take a stab at the bread dipping seasoning methods today when making a batch of oven roasted potatoes

I just quartered up a bag of Tasteful Selections potatoes, drizzled them with some Tuscan Blend seasoning and a little EVOO, and roasted them in a 425 degree F oven for about 45-50 minutes. Perfection.

And since I happened to notice a lone sweet potato that’s been waiting to be eaten, I decided to cut him up into some fries and baked those as well.

These potatoes all probably turned out to be one of my best batches yet, and I’m going to tell you my secret

Soak the cut potatoes in water! After cutting both batches of my potatoes today, I put them in a big bowl of water and let them sit for probably 3-4 hours. I saw them talk about it on the Food Network once, and I’ll agree that it definitely helped add a little extra crispness to them, without drying them out. They were super duper.

To round out the meal, I also made a big veggie salad, which was good…but I was all about the potatoes today. Smile

When my mom asked if there was anything she could bring over for dinner tonight, there was one thing that immediately popped into my head…

Strawberry Angel Pie!

Jay gave it a quick sniff test, and then we were good to go.

So I threw caution to the wind and practically dove head first into the bowl. Apparently, I had no concept of portion size or self control with dessert tonight.

Because what you see there? Yep…you can go ahead and double that. Let’s just say, the bowl was completely empty by the time I was done with it.

Whew! I guess it’s a good thing it was angel food cake and strawberries, rather than chocolate and cookies, right? Winking smile

******

I just realized that the MTV Movie Awards are actually on tonight, so I’m planning on throwing on some cozies and planting myself on the couch to watch ‘em. I better get a move on though…my favorite part is all the red carpet fashion!

Question for the Evening:

What is one dessert you really lack self control with?

Mine would be this dessert…and ice cream. Always ice cream.

1 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" June 5, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Wow quite the feast! The sweet potato fries look yummy, as does everything else. One dessert I last self control with is ice cream. There HAPPENED to be a pint on sale at the grocery store Friday for 3 bucks (quite the deal). That pint is now gone :-( oopsies.
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy Living Girl” recently posted..Girls on the Run 5K Recap- A Lesson in Runpowerment!

2 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 5, 2011 at 8:20 pm

It’s so great that you live close enough to your parents to have a random dinner party with them!

I love grilled chicken and don’t think that I’ll ever get sick of them!

For me, I have no control around dessert, of course, pretzels, crackers and digestive biscuits. If it’s a carb, I’ll be obsessed!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Do the Doughboy

3 Amanda (Eating Up) June 5, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Ice cream for sure for me too! I also love a giant slice of carrot cake. There’s no sharing when that’s set in front of me.
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Post-Grad Life- Updating the Context of Eating Up

4 briana June 5, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Definately all desserts and bread….I never get sick of either

5 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 5, 2011 at 9:18 pm

That chicken looks good!
Definitely ice cream for me. I had a waffle cone the size of my head last night and finished the entire thing. Too good to waste :)

6 Mac June 5, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Cookies are my uncontrollable weakness! If I can have one, why not 5? lol

7 Kristen June 5, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I defiantly have no control over ice cream. I could eat it ALL DAY!
And thanks for the potato secret!

8 Kelly @foodiefresh June 5, 2011 at 9:51 pm

One of my friends makes this concoction with cool whip and milk soaked chips-a-hoy. It’s like my cryptonite. That and brownies with andes mints melted on top are so deliciously dangerous for me.

9 Courtney June 5, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Whaaaaaaaat?!? Milk soaked chips-a-hoy?? Holy moly!!

10 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries June 5, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Looks like a fun night! I’m really, really bad with portion sizes when it comes to things like brownies. “One brownie” may equal 1/4 of the pan ;)

11 Danica June 5, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I struggle with portion control with both breads and desserts-yummm

12 Lindsey June 5, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Cookies! Once I have one it’s hard to stop, especially the soft chewy ones!

13 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 5, 2011 at 10:06 pm

We also grill so much in the summer time – it’s always on!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..grocery shopping blues- summer break style

14 Krissie J June 5, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Does your mom share the recipe? I’d love to try making that! Strawberries are my favorite. :)

Cupcakes are my weakness. They’re just too good to say no!
Krissie J recently posted..Seeing Green

15 Courtney June 5, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Yup! I linked to it in the post :)

16 Krissie J June 5, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Oh! I see that now. I was reading from my Android before. Thanks!
Krissie J recently posted..Seeing Green

17 Liz @ IHeartVegetables June 5, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I lack self control with ice cream!!! Ohhhh my gosh, especially frozen yogurt. I kind of go crazy. hahaha
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..Secret Chili Dip Giveaway!

18 TheBloggeresBrother June 5, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Ive had to stare across the table at that for 23 years

19 Courtney June 5, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Bahahaha…actually, you haven’t always been across from him. It used to be me :)

20 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 5, 2011 at 10:53 pm

mmm — those taters look tasty!

I don’t have self-control around… any dessert!! hehe
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..just a reminder

21 Courtney June 5, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Yes! I know you and I share a similar love of desserts, Hil! ;)
Hey…I was thinking about you actually! I have some coconut oil I need to try out…any good recipes you can recommend??

22 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 6, 2011 at 2:13 am

hmmm… I use it to grease my waffle iron, but I mostly use (a separate jar) it as body moisturizer — hehe. I’ve made muffins with coconut oil. I think you could replace canola oil with coconut oil in nearly any baking recipe :)
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..just a reminder

23 Kate June 5, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I have such a soft spot for roasted red skins. My hubby’s parents are coming over for dinner tomorrow and I might have to add them to the menu.

I lack control with desserts in general…I need to get better at that.
Kate recently posted..brewery vivant- decoded

24 Charlie June 5, 2011 at 11:27 pm

That pie is the same as a cake my mom used to make (I called it Jello cake). SO good! Definitely can’t control myself around that either! And ice cream, the worst being vanilla ice cream with maple syrup on it! YUM
Charlie recently posted..Blueberry Chocolate Chip Pancake Muffins

25 Sarah June 5, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Dinner looks great! I’m going to go ahead and safely say I lack control with all desserts and ALWAYS go back for seconds… with that said, I usually just take half of a normal serving and go back twice. Some kind of weird mental thing (OCD maybe?) but whatever, it works for me.

26 Khushboo June 5, 2011 at 11:39 pm

ice cream! It’s physically to stop after a bite…or scoop!
Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

27 Khushboo June 5, 2011 at 11:41 pm

*physically impossible
Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

28 Lisa June 6, 2011 at 12:11 am

Hi Courtney,

I tried thinking of a dessert that answers your question, but really, my philosophy with all desserts that I like is to take the biggest portion I can!! My favorite is banana cream pie, and I always make sure to get there first and take a monster piece. :)

Lisa
Lisa recently posted..Foods that are not Sunny Seeds but are still Very Good 2

29 Courtney June 6, 2011 at 10:44 am

I like your style! ;)

30 Nicole June 6, 2011 at 12:41 am

Great tip about soaking the potatoes! Thanks Courtney!
Nicole recently posted..Lake Chabot 5K and Half Marathon

31 Nicole June 6, 2011 at 12:42 am

And I lack self control with kettle popcorn smothered in cinnamon and maple syrup :) It gets scary sometimes!
Nicole recently posted..Lake Chabot 5K and Half Marathon

32 Courtney June 6, 2011 at 10:43 am

Woah, never tried the maple syrup!?! Yum!

33 Kelsey June 6, 2011 at 1:06 am

I don’t know what it is about desserts, but it is so easy to start with one piece, bite, etc and all of a sudden I’ve consumed so much more than planned!! I would say the worst is with cookie dough while baking – or even the amount that i lick the spoon when making cake/brownies…oh man!!

I am going to have to try the water trick for the potatoes – I have tried it before, but not for 3-4 hours….that may be the key!!

34 Bethany June 6, 2011 at 7:31 am

rice krispie treats, I can’t control myself around them. I can eat a whole pan and not blink an eye!!!
Bethany recently posted..Married for One Year!!

35 Holly June 6, 2011 at 8:16 am

COURT!!
I’ve missed ya so much! I’m catching up on all of your past posts, so I hope you don’t mind completely random comments on old posts ;)
Hope all has been well! :)
xoxo
Holly recently posted..A Sneak Peak into Our Wedding

36 Courtney June 6, 2011 at 10:42 am

You’re BAAAAAAACK!!!! Random comments are always welcome from you, girl!
Btw…you looked STUNNING as a bride! Can’t wait to hear about your honeymoon. I’m going to be super jealous reading…especially already knowing that it’s AMAZING there! ;)

37 Parita @ myinnershakti June 6, 2011 at 8:30 am

Your parents seem like a blast to hang out with! And thanks for the potato tip. I love my potatoes extra crispy!
Parita @ myinnershakti recently posted..Boston for the Day

38 CaSaundra June 6, 2011 at 8:42 am

Wow–looks like that’ll be an amazing first meal to beat. Yummy!

39 tina @ vanillandspice June 6, 2011 at 9:01 am

Ice cream and lemon meringue pie. I don’t even try to stop myself, because I know it’s not going to happen.

Which is why they’re never allowed in my house!

You’re dinner looks great.

40 Carissa June 6, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Wow! What a great idea with the sweet potato fries! I can’t wait to try it.