Running Like The Wind

My morning was thrown all off today.

Before having breakfast, I actually had to take hubs to work so he could get some work done on his car. This meant that it was sort of a roll-out-of-bed-throw-hair-in-a-pony-promptly-put-on-sunglasses start to my day.

I was hungry by the time I got back, so I ate breakfast first, rather than getting in my workout for the day.

Well, as you know, this can be a problem.

Typically, if I don’t get my workout done right away (or at least have plans to attend a class later in the day), my motivation goes right out the window. So I’m sure you can imagine my excitement when I looked at my training plan and saw that I had a 6-mile run planned for today…

tweet1

Thankfully, after a little motivation from my Twitter friends, I laced up the sneaks, had a pre-run Clif Z Bar snack,

and was determined to tackle my run.

And tackle it, I did…

tweet2

Seriously, who am I?!?

2011-06-06_12-04-21_297

Where this energy came from, I have no idea…especially considering the fact that my allergies have been acting up, (hence the reason I kept the run indoors today) but I’ll tell ya, I was running like the wind! Wheeeeeee!!

Today’s run actually had me thinking about quite a bit while I was huffing it…

When I first started running, I would run probably around 5.5 – 6.0mph. I’ve been blessed with a 5’7” frame and long legs, so my pace is apparently a little quicker than those with a shorter stride (at least this is what I’ve been told?). At that time, a full out sprint would be right around 7.0mph

And today, that was my steady run speed. For today’s 6 miles, I ran the first 3/4 of each mile at a 7.0mph pace, and finished up each 1/4 mile at 8.0mph.

The purpose of sharing my speeds with you today is not to focus on the numbers themselves; there’s no sense in comparing numbers since we’re all different, right? But rather, I do want to show the progress that can be made when you put your mind to it and work hard.

Further proof that if I can do it…YOU CAN DO IT! Open-mouthed smile

*******

Post-run, it was time to refuel.

In the form of a nice, cold and creamy smoothie. Today’s smoothie consisted of:

• 1 frozen banana, sliced
  • 4 frozen strawberries, sliced
  • ~2/3 cup honeydew melon
  • 3/4 cup vanilla almond milk
  • 2 tsp chia seeds
  • 1 scoop strawberry Whey protein powder
  • 1 handful spinach
  • Pinch of xanthan gum (for thickening)
  • splash of water + 3 ice cubes

It was my first time trying honeydew in a smoothie, but honestly, the stronger flavors of the strawberry + banana totally masked it. You wouldn’t have even known it was in there.

But no big deal, because this guy is deeeeeelish!

I also had an undocumented chocolate chip banana muffin, and I’m sure I’ll be ready for a little something else in a couple hours; but for now I’m just enjoying this…and a shower. Winking smile

Question for the Afternoon:

Brag a little! When’s the last time you had a knock-your-socks-off workout?

Comments

Just last week I started running outside, and though I only do 3 miles… with a few walk breaks I feel like they are the hardest workouts I’ve done in a while.

2. Whitney says

I had a long run of 10 miles over the weekend and felt great the whole time! I love that feeling! :)

i’ve been in an allover funk for the last couple of weeks which includes exercising…besides a few pushups here and there i’ve completely gone away from eating right, sleeping right and exercising right. forget the water too. nada. none. maybe a few sips here and there but this funk really got me this time. THANKFULLY i’m over it and am determined to get back on the healthy track. your post has motivated me with your if i can do it you can do it attitude. THANKS!!!
    colleen @ thegiftofmondays recently posted..ive been in a funk

You are one fast chickie!

My last rockin’ workout was a while ago. Perhaps today I shall try to muster up some of your motivation and kick major butt (my butt!) at the gym tonight. 😎
    Krissie J recently posted..Seeing Green

that is awesome! I started running last summer, ended it at running 3 miles and winter came and i never ran, i just started up again last week and super disappointed that my average is a little over 4 mph. ( i went to verify that and now I cant, but that is what i remember) I am 5’3 and short legs but I am hoping I can improve my 5k by at least 10 minutes! Hopefully within 30 days.. think its possible?
    Tara recently posted..Infertility sucks

way to go! There is nothing more rewarding than a better-than-expected run, in my opinion. I haven’t had a good run in a while due to the old foot :-( I still need to go to the doctor and am trying to get a recommendation. It’s so hard to find a good doctor here in NY.

On Saturday I had a refreshing run outdoors. Although it was slow, due to my foot, I covered a lot of ground and ran all the way from the Upper East Side to Brooklyn. There were so many amazing sights but I didn’t have my camera!
    Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Girls on the Run 5K Recap- A Lesson in Runpowerment!

Today baby! I had a 8am pilates apparatus class followed by an hour of Extend Barre :) The Extend Barre class is a mix of cardio, pilates and ballet :) If you can find a class near you , I DEF suggest it. I will not be able to walk for a couple days….. LOVE that! hehe
    Awesome job on the run. With my shorty self only being 5’4 … I only run at 8.0mph when being chased by a large dog or a zombie :) hehe
    Corey @ Family Fresh Meals recently posted..Bento Love- Shaun the Sheep

• Courtney says

Your workout sounds great!! I’d LOVE to try one of the Extend Barre classes, but unfortunately, there are none around me :(

I haven’t had one of those stellar workouts in what seems like forever! All I have time for before work is a short kickboxing class. I’m considering dropping it and using that time at my gym to do some faster/longer treadmill seshes and start weight training.

Great job with your stellar workout! Doesn’t it seem like running gets better with age? Just like wine 😉
    Lauren recently posted..Lake Chabot 5K and Half Marathon

Great job on the run! I’ve never been a runner, but I would LOVE to be. I do some interval running/walking to try and build a tolerance to it. Maybe someday a 5k is in my future.

Wow, that’s awesome. I got into running this year and actually did my first 5k finished with a time of 30:36. I’m trying to get faster but I don”t know if I’d be able to run at 7 mph comfortably for a long run. I’m also 5’3 and have shorter legs so that doesn’t help! lol

I know this is where I’m supposed to brag, but I haven’t been very motivated with my workouts lately :(

I took the last few days off because I wasn’t feeling well, but before that my last workout was Bethenny’s new yoga video. I actually thought it was pretty good even though I didn’t work up much of a sweat. I was feeling the stretch well into the next day.

My last really intense workout was 6 Week 6 Pack on level 2. It was intense!
    Farrah recently posted..Tropical Smoothie

Hi, I’m a new reader. You have an awesome blog!! =] And running 6miles in 25 mins!! Great job! I’m still new to running, so it’s a little sad to write down my stats, but slow and steady… That’s me! To answer your question, the last time I had a killer workout was yesterday! I was doing a leg and shoulder rountine, and I usually follow it with some cardio to kill my legs. But after the rountine, my legs were jello and I didn’t last 5 mins on the arch machine~ At least I know that I worked it out!! I’m going to go and read your other posts now!~ bu-byeeee
    xoxo,
    Juju

• Courtney says

Hey Juju! Thanks for reading!
      But just so you know, I ran my 6 miles in 51 minutes..not 25! Haha, I don’t think I’ll EVER get that fast. 😉

I run at 6.0 and it’s semi-challenging but not terrible… but I remember I originally started with 5.5 a year ago then worked up to 6.0 though I could ocmfortably do 6.5, then stopped working out for 6 months and still came back at 6.0 somehow… but I would LOVE to see 7.0 and hold it! :))) thanks for the inspiration!
    n
    Nicole @ Of Cookies and Carrots recently posted..productive procrastination

• Courtney says

I SAW THEM AT TARGET!!! I didn’t pick ’em up yet, but I’m glad to hear they’re good. Thanks for the info! 😉

• Courtney says

I actually ordered them from Carrots ‘N’ Cake’s Open Sky shop – she was having a promo on them last week, not sure if it’s still going on?

14. VanessaG says

Great job girl!! My last kick butt workout was probably last Thursday. I did 6×800 repeats. It was hrad, but I felt so proud afterwards. I’m trying to get my speed back!! :)

Congrats on the run – speed demon! And that smoothie looks ever so good – I add melon to mine a lot, and I think it gives them a kinda softer, sweet mellow flavour. It doesn’t knock your socks off with a melon kick, but it’s tasty :)
    My last asskick workout was a 10miler yesterday – 1hr21, or 8.07 pace! Considering I’ve had pretty much 5months off with shin splints, it was awesome 😀

16. Marla says

Hi Courtney!

I love your blog – I know this is somewhat weird but I could totally see myself being friends with you haha! Anyway, I was wondering if you could do a post (or talk a little about) how you increased your speed. I’m a beginning runner and I want to know how I can start running faster without hurting myself haha!

Thanks!
    Marla

Ahh! Thats so awesome! Congrats on the great run, chica :) Especially considering you weren’t really feeling going for a run in a the first place. I hate allergies! They totally kill my motivation to do everything, let alone working out!

My best workout lately has been some cardio yoga outside. Psh, who needs a hot yoga studio when the weather is terribly hot? HAHA!
    Tori (Fresh Fruition) recently posted..An Evening in Annapolis- Maryland

18. Mandee says

I’ll admit it here – I’ve been totally slacking with working out! But a friend who has gotten into super shape over the past few months has inspired me to get back on my routine. I’m on my way out for a jog right now an am gonna make it a kick butt kinda workout!

Ps that smoothie looks gooooooood.
    Mandee recently posted..Hostess Cupcake Homecoming

I love having a surprisingly good workout when it is least expected. For me, this usually happens when I tell myself I’m only going to run a short distance and then I like to keep going when I reach that distance since I still feel great!

The blueberry flavor of those bars is so good!
    Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Saturday Sister Shopping Date

Whoaaaa speed demon! And side note… Z Bar has BLUEBERRY!!!! I’m in love with their choco chip. Kiddie bars are tasty, and I don’t care if that makes me sound creepy.

21. Danica says

Last week I ran 4 miles-my longest run thus far! I still feel like I’m in the beginning stages of being “a runner” and I was so proud of myself for putting in the longest distance YET! : )

Way to go, Courtney! This is the biggest challenge in running for me, too–just to be brave enough to push my pace instead of being scared that I’m going to get tired or sore or whatever it is I’m afraid of. Silly, really! Especially considering I just completed my third half marathon over the weekend and took 5 minutes off my personal best! I was brave and it definitely paid off!!! :)
    Melissa recently posted..Extra Monday

Wowie fantastic pace! All that hard work pays off eh! Lately all my runs have been impressing me! I am normally a ‘pacer’ and avoid going too fast too soon to avoid burning out but lately I’ve just been going for it from the start! I’m amazed at the speeds I can maintain now- such a great feeling!
    Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

Isn’t it amazing how you think your workout isn’t going to be great, but it ends up being awesome!? Love that feeling. I haven’t had an awesome workout in about 5 months (you know, the whole being pregnant thing), but I’m really looking forward to getting back in shape after the baby arrives. :)
    Molly Carter recently posted..Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

• Courtney says

Hahaha…I’m sure you’ll be back to it in no time! Hey, at least you’re still BodyPumpin’ it up! 😉

awesome job on the run!!! and 6miles on the treadmill- hats off to you!
    A week ago I went to spinning class and I havent been all year! I kicked some booty- my family asked me if it was raining outside because I was a bit sweating (haha ok too much infor haha
    Kristen recently posted..New Theme- Twenty Eleven