Missing Food Group

by Courtney on June 7, 2011

Alright, so I guess the bread really isn’t all that bad

Seeing as though I probably made about half a dozen trips out into the kitchen this morning and afternoon to grab a few more nibbles with peanut butter.

Don’t worry, it’s still as ugly as ever, and if you happened to stop by my house this afternoon I probably wouldn’t serve you a piece because it’s really not incredible.

But it’s here, so I’m eating it.

And I even went ahead and had some more for lunch. Smile

Only this time, I popped a slice in the toaster so it would make my peanut butter all melty and delicious. Oh goodness, why is melty peanut butter soooo good?

Considering I’ve consumed more than enough bread + pb all morning, I kept lunch a bit on the lighter side, rounding out my meal with a black cherry Chobani,

and some fresh fruit: honeydew, strawbs, and bloobs.

You probably noticed that this lunch was lacking the all-important veggie food group…

…well that’s because tonight I already know that I’m headed to one of my favorite salad places, where I intend on eating a salad the size of my head.

But I still made an attempt to cover the rest of my nutritional bases for my mid-day meal, so I think I should be good to go for the day. Now my evening will be devoted entirely to veggies…and fro yo. Winking smile

Questions for the Afternoon:

Do you try to incorporate many food groups at each meal or just for a whole day?

Which food group would you say you eat the most from?

Mine would have to be breads and grains…no doubt!

1 Megan (Braise The Roof) June 7, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Melty peanut butter really is amazing- I don’t know what it is about it! I think as long as you have one big salad a day, you don’t have to worry about veggies at other meals…it all works out in the end!
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..Most Overheard

2 Amanda (Eating Up) June 7, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I definitely eat the most grains, although I do love fruits and veggies!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Post-Grad Life- Updating the Context of Eating Up

3 Corey @ Family Fresh Meals June 7, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Yep.. I am a grain girl too. My new favorite thing to do with pasta is to use whole wheat organic pasta and mix it with spinach. I will saute a cup of frozen spinach with garlic, mix in 1/2 cup of my cooked pasta and drizzle with olive oil or spaghetti sauce and boom! A super filling meal without feeling bad about eating pasta. If you have a side of fruit, you have covered almost all your bases :) I totally just ate a bowl right before I read this entry. heheh
Corey @ Family Fresh Meals recently posted..Bento Love- Roni the Bear

4 faith @ lovelyascharged June 7, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I do try to spread things out as evenly as possible, but I’m more worried about the qhole intake over the course of the day…ie if I have a carb-heavy breakfast like cereal or oatmeal I try to snack on fruits and veggies in the morning and get some extra protein at lunch
faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Chocolate Wheat Bran Breakfast Cookie

5 Sarah June 7, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I hope you’re going to handle it at 16 Handles tonight!!! I think frozen yogurt should be in its own food group. I may write the USDA about that one…
I try to eat the most from the veg group, but I’m REALLY into dairy (cheese, yogurt… frozen yogurt).

6 Courtney June 7, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Oh you KNOW it! ;)

7 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 7, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Last night my entire meal consisted of one food group: Dairy. My dinner was a large frozen yogurt (chocolate mint flavored) drenched in sprinkles. Is sugar a food group?

Usually I get lots of veggies. Unless I’m really stressed out, in which case, pretzels become another food group along with various condiments for dipping :-)
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Girls on the Run 5K Recap- A Lesson in Runpowerment!

8 Courtney June 7, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Bahahaha ;)

9 Lauren June 7, 2011 at 2:01 pm

hahaha bloobs :-D

10 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign June 7, 2011 at 2:05 pm

haha, I do that all the time as well…cutting off “slivers” of rice krispie bars, brownies, etc. Before I know it, I’ve eaten more than I would have if I just cut myself a piece. Oh well!

I try to get a carb, fruit or veggie, and protein at each meal to keep my diet balanced. Some days it is tricky though! Especially when it gets so hot and nothing really sounds all that great.
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Saturday Sister Shopping Date

11 Lina June 7, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I feel like it isn’t a meal unless it has veggies in it. Even with my smoothie kick lately I always add spinach! It’s weird, but I don’t feel complete without my veggie fix lol!

12 Ashley @ Healthy Life For Me June 7, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Im the same way! I would much rather have bread and grains! Although, I do love fruits. Oh, carbs!
Ashley @ Healthy Life For Me recently posted..Snooozie Suzie

13 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 7, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Grains here, for sure! I usually save my vegetables for dinner…I should start snacking on veggies throughout the day to get an extra serving!

14 briana June 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I try to eat all food groups but I’m a carb girl !

15 Juju June 7, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I’ve definetely been trying to incorporate more fruits and veggies throughout the day, but it’s not always easy with fruit, since the prices are crazy high here! I usually over indulge with carbs like bread, oatmeal, RICE, PASTA… which is a no-no… =(
Your bread and that skippy pb, to die for! I seriously considering baking a bread in this 90 degree weather, just so I can eat some! ahhh =]
xoxo,
juju

p.s. I think you can do 6 miles in 25 mins! go for it!! lol
Juju recently posted..Beef and Vegetable Soup – Quick

16 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 7, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Melty peanut butter is AMAZING.

17 Danica June 7, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I try to make sure I have enough fruit and veggie servings per day. That usually means some of each at every meal but not always. I too eat the most servings of the breads/grains group each day. I don’t think I could ever be without carbs!

18 chloe @ 321delish June 7, 2011 at 3:07 pm

what is it about combining dinner made out of a big salad with fro yo? I do it ALL the time…I hit up Sweet Green for a salad and then its a no brainer to get fro yo.

not saying we should change that :) just noticing how common it is!
chloe @ 321delish recently posted..And That’s Why We Practice

19 Bethany June 7, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I eat A LOT of fruit. I mean, a lot. I try to incorperate veggies in at least one meal everyday, I know I should do more, but fruit is just so much better than lettuce :)

20 Emily June 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I still have not been to Salad Creations or the froyo place 16 Handles, so I think I need to take a trip to Clifton Park and stuff my face soon :)

Sometimes I don’t get all the food groups in during a meal, but I usually fill my quota for the day, so I figure, as long as I eat them at some point its all the same!
Emily recently posted..Confessions

21 Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews June 7, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Whenever I make fresh bread, I always go and nibble ALL DAY LONG!
Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews recently posted..Bacon Hot Sauce Review and Giveaway

22 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 7, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I usually try to make each balanced, but when traveling (like I am right now) I think it’s particularly hard to find veggies on the go for lunch so then I make sure to get a veg based dinner.

23 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 7, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Hey! The bread isn’t SO bad. At least it slices up as a square!

I love toasting my bread before slathering on the PB. It really gives it that melty and gooey deliciousness, along with the natural creaminess. Heaven!

Usually I try to eat all of my nutrients in one meal, but I NEVER eat veggies at breakfast when I eat it at home. Sometime when I go out, I’ll get a veggie omelet, but that’s about it!

Have fun eating out tonight! Make a salad I’ll be proud of ;)
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Scenes from the City

24 Lindsey June 7, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I try to make sure my overall day is balanced – so if I know there isn’t going to be many veggies at supper, lunch is a big ol’ veggie salad, I always try to have fruit in the morning along with carbs and protein to keep me full and give me energy :)

It really changes what group I eat the most of, right now with the warmer weather – fruits and veggies but in the colder months, carbs and more carbs!

25 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 7, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I eat the most VEGGIES…and beans and nuts and fish!! Soooometimes a lot of millet bread ;)
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Do you like my dress Senior Ball Pictures!

26 Jessica @ brighteyesandbushytales June 7, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Haha, I loved the “bloobs.” :) I eat a LOT of veggies and a lot oatmeal (not exactly a food group!). I have to focus on getting in protein — so lots of peanut butter for me too! I haven’t tried the skippy natural before, I usually go for Jiff natural, but maybe I’ll change it up this week!
Jessica @ brighteyesandbushytales recently posted..7-Week Rise &amp Shine Challenge

27 Courtney June 7, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I LOVE Skippy Natural!!

28 Colleen June 7, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Your yogurt spoon is so cute! It depends on the season for me with food groups–definitely eat a lot more fruits and veggies in the summer and carbs in the winter!
Colleen recently posted..I Was Power Sculpted

29 Alexa @ Simple Eats June 7, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I’m a carb girl all the way. I LOVE bread! I eat a lot more fruit in the warmer months, though!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Ithaca Trip Part 2

30 Kelsey @ a piece of kelsey June 7, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I try to balance it out through the day mostly. Like, if I have a green smoothies for breakfast I can have something more bready-y for lunch (sandwich). Or, if I have oatmeal for breakfast I typically eat a salad a lunch. Dinner is typically a balance of everything though.

I think depending on the day I will favor veggies or breads/grains – all depends :)
Kelsey @ a piece of kelsey recently posted..New Recipe of the Week!

31 Marykate Sinnott June 7, 2011 at 6:47 pm

The 1st thing I saw when I clicked on this was the bread and the skippy. I just went “Ooh!”
Marykate Sinnott recently posted..Hooray for Starbucks!

32 Shana Powell June 7, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I eat tons and tons of fruit! If I didn’t need protein, I probably wouldn’t even bother with it. I have recently been trying to incorporate more veggies but I’m not sure my digestive system is on board yet. I must confess, though, that I am a cereal monster and have been known to finish three boxes in a one week!
Shana Powell recently posted..The Dog Days of Summer

33 Megan@eatmybeets June 7, 2011 at 9:36 pm

hahah I love it. Sometimes I’ll just be in the mood for something repeatedly. Multiple times a day. Every day. But I usually try and eat something else so as to balance everything out. I like that you just kept going for what you wanted :-)
Megan@eatmybeets recently posted..I finally did it

34 Khushboo June 7, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Ugly food always tastes the best (e.g. OATS)! I have this anal obsession with always including veggies in my lunch and dinner..I need to remind myself that it’s not the end of the world if I don’t occasionally!
Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

35 Tara Burner June 8, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I eat mostly fruits, then veggies, then grains
but the p.b and bread looks good
Tara Burner recently posted..Wellness Wednesday-mind- body- spirit tips for wellness

36 Amy June 8, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I eat alot of pnut butter and nuts and love my oatmeal too. I try to eat balanced I make sure to get protein and carb at each meal with either fruit or starch and a fat.

37 Courtney June 8, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Amyyyy! Hey, I’ve been meaning to ask you…didn’t you say you were going to get a Shellac manicure recently? How did it go??

38 Amy June 8, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I’m getting it tomorrow. I can’t wait. I’ll keep u posted. I hope I like it cause we’re leaving for South Beach for 3 days so I hope it lasts.

39 Kristen June 9, 2011 at 1:23 am

I defiantly eat more carbs. Veggies I can never find delicious…i need new recipes! haha