One Of The Benefits

by Courtney on June 8, 2011

One of the (many!) benefits of having my own blog is that I have SO many memories to look back on.

While I’ve always enjoyed browsing through old posts here and there, I’ve recently took a liking to re-reading the posts that I wrote on the same day, but from the previous year. It’s not only fun to see what I was doing, but also to compare how much my blog has developed and changed in such a short amount of time, too.

So when I went ahead and checked out my June 8, 2010 blog posts, I was actually quite surprised to see that they were probably two of my most open and honest posts I’ve ever written.

I don’t know why I was surprised to see them; I mean, I already knew what they said. I guess I just had no sense of when I actually decided to come out and write them. I’ll tell you though…as tough as those posts were to write, and even to think about now, I honestly find solace in knowing how much of a better place I’m in today.

YAY for leaping over life’s hurdles! Smile

********

And another YAY for a delicious lunch that was practically prep-free.

Would you believe that I totally forgot about last night’s salad leftovers in my fridge? Opening the door to see them staring back at me was just fantabulous. Before digging in, I actually popped a beano.

Laugh if you must (I’m sure if my dad or brother are reading it they sure are), but I decided it was worth giving a shot, seeing as though salads have been giving me wicked bloated bellies lately. I took one last night before my salad and actually felt pretty good. We’ll see how today goes.

Along with my salad leftovers, I snacked on another piece of what we’ll now just call ugly bread, which actually doesn’t look all that ugly when it’s toasted and topped with peanut butter. Just sayin’.

Quick, easy, filling, delicious. Perfect. Smile

Before lunch, I completed a quick workout (2 mile run + 30 mins Pilates) so now it’s time to go shower and head out to run a couple errands!

Question for the Afternoon:

If you blog, do you ever go back and re-read any of your old posts just for fun?

If you don’t blog, what’s your favorite way of looking back at old memories (photos, videos, etc.?)

1 Erica @ A Healthy Habit June 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm

That “ugly bread” looks verrry yummy! And I’d have to say- looking back on old posts is a really good thing to do every now and then.

2 Amanda (Eating Up) June 8, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Haha Beano is the greatest name!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Post-Grad Life- Updating the Context of Eating Up

3 Kelsey @ a piece of kelsey June 8, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Make sure to let us know how the Beano works!! I’d be interested to hear!!
Kelsey @ a piece of kelsey recently posted..New Recipe of the Week!

4 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 8, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Sometimes, in life, I wish more folks took some Beano, lol!

Since I just started blogging, up to this point, I have been big on scanning through facebook pictures to look back on my life!
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Welcome to the Jungle

5 Faith @ lovelyascharged June 8, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I love looking back at old posts – it really gives me a sense of how I’ve grown, and it helps me relive some of my favorite memories. It’s always a great reminder of the lessons I’ve learned along the way!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Chocolate Wheat Bran Breakfast Cookie

6 Laura June 8, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I’m not a blogger but my MIL bought me a 10-year journal. It has a brief amount of space to jot down just a couple sentences per day. So for any given day, on the same page, I can see what I wrote over 10 years. I just started it this year so no comparison yet but I think it will be really fun over the years especially since we just got married and will be starting a family at some point in the next 10 years :)

7 Courtney June 8, 2011 at 2:19 pm

My grandma used to journal, and every time I went to her house to visit, I always LOVED reading it. :)

8 ellalinea June 8, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I’ve just been blogging since april so I haven’t re-read any old posts because.. yea well they’re not old yet ;)

Could you maybe do a post about the evolution of your bloggie, what changed? What do you do different now? How to start one and expand.. etc?
ellalinea recently posted..Paris is calling Bikram yoga- locking the knee

9 Courtney June 8, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Hmmm, I’ll have to think about that. Thanks for the idea! :)

10 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 8, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Even though I’ve only been doing this for a few months, I love love re-reading my posts. Whenever I feel like I’m not good at my job or just not cutting it in life for some reason, I’ll re-read a post and remember that I do in fact have some talents :-)

PS- Nothing with the name bread can ever be classified as “ugly” ;-)
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..How to Make Your Coworkers L-O-V-E You

11 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer June 8, 2011 at 2:27 pm

You should be so proud of yourself for what you’ve overcome. It’s inspiring to look back and see what obsticles you’ve tackled in your past.

12 Courtney June 8, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Thank you, Emmarie! :)

13 Paige @ Running Around Normal June 8, 2011 at 2:30 pm

No amount of pictures could ever be considered too many. And these pictures are lovely. Gorgeous! Sometimes I look back on my honeymoon like it was a blur…or a fantasy, too. but it really happened! You have the pics to prove it ;)
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Even My Taste Buds Are Hot

14 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 8, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I’d love to look back at what I wrote on my blog a year ago, but unfortunately my blog is just a baby! But I’ll be looking forward to it come next year ;)

LOL I hope the beano helps! I think I need to get on that too…
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..City Watching

15 Becca June 8, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I actually had severe stomach issues from too many veggies… the only thing that helped was Gas-x. I should look into the bean o though!
Becca recently posted..Setting Your Intentions

16 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 8, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Ahhh what a pretty salad!! Did the beano help?
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Do you like my dress Senior Ball Pictures!

17 Erica June 8, 2011 at 2:50 pm

i like to go re-read some of my posts…it’s a great trip down memory lane, and also helps me remember when things actually happend!
i also like to go through old datebooks/agendas and see what i did on this day, 2 years ago.

beano. i’m interested to see how you like it!

18 Khushboo June 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Re-reading old posts kinda makes me cringe but at the same time its a good indicator of how my writing style has evolved!
Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

19 Courtney June 8, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I hear ya!

20 Colleen June 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I look at old facebook albums from time to time when I’m feeling nostalgic. It only goes back to my sophomore year of high school, but it’s crazy to think about kids now who will have their whole lives documented on facebook! Pictures of pregnant moms, newborns, etc. Pretty cool!
Colleen recently posted..I Was Power Sculpted

21 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 8, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I’ve never tried Beano – but I’ve heard that it really does work! Fingers cross for you! :)

22 Nicole @sugarcoatedsisters.com June 8, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I love leftovers! And your salad still looks delicious even though it is a day old :)

You should post about how the Beano works out for you… I’ve been having lots of bloaty tummy problems also after eating ginormous salads. And bloat won’t stop me from continuing!
Nicole @sugarcoatedsisters.com recently posted..Lake Chabot 5K and Half Marathon

23 Mandee June 8, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I totally want some of that ugly bread!!! My dad makes this awesome beer bread with dries berries in it… Maybe I’ll ask him to whip some up for me… Your ugly bread is making me hungry!
Mandee recently posted..Hostess Cupcake Homecoming

24 Alexa @ Simple Eats June 8, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I read my first couple blog posts and giggled the other day. But hey, you gotta start somewhere, right?!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Ithaca Trip Part 2

25 Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) June 8, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I love going back and re-reading old blog posts. That’s one of my main motivations to blog, especially for my family blog. Little babies change so fast! I just started my running blog, and haven’t had it long enough to see if I enjoy going back and re-reading those posts. I’m sure I will, especially years from now.
Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) recently posted..Almost a Quitter

26 Sarah June 8, 2011 at 5:15 pm

How was that run today? I know where I am, it was BRUTALLY hot! And my blog isn’t old enough yet to look back on, but I can’t wait to have it as a journal in a few more months.

27 Courtney June 8, 2011 at 6:49 pm

It was done in my chilled basement, so it wasn’t half bad ;)

28 Kayleigh June 8, 2011 at 5:24 pm

The bread looks so great now! Huh..imagine that!

I love looking at old facebook pictures and conversations. I honestly can’t believe the things I used to write to my friends on facebook and old the statuses we used to have. Facebook is honestly a great memory book! Haha
Kayleigh recently posted..Did the sun come out

29 Anna Crouch June 8, 2011 at 6:20 pm

You probably don’t even realize how many people relate to those 2 posts that you wrote! So many women and girls these days know exactly what you went through. I’m coming out just on the other side of that whole fiasco! I haven’t really had anyone to talk to about everything in detail, but have definitely been making changes and sticking to them. I’m thankful for blogs like yours. They encourage me to keep going and change my perspective!
Anna Crouch recently posted..Ive Gained So Much More

30 Courtney June 8, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Thank you, Anna. And best of luck to you. Please feel free to email me if you ever need someone to talk to. :)

31 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign June 8, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I just started blogging so I don’t have posts from previous years yet but I laughed out loud when I read your post since I’m obsessed with going through my iCal at work to see what I was doing on that day a year before. It’s fun to look back and see how much things have changed.
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Housekeeping

32 Shayla June 8, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I remember reading that post and I remember thinking how comforting it felt to know I wasn’t alone in having a past of those similar struggles and I relate to you in that feeling of overcoming them and being in a healthier state physically, emotionally, and mentally. You should be so proud of yourself and that’s why I love blogs such as yours, PB Fingers, Carrots n Cake, Kath Eats, etc., it reminds to stay on this healthy journey and that everything can have a balance and be enjoyed in moderation without any deprivation :)

I’m curious to know how the Beano turns out for you….I too have wicked bloating after a huge jass salad and would love to know if it works!

33 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 8, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I absolutely love reading old posts!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..grocery shopping blues- summer break style

34 Mac June 9, 2011 at 10:18 am

I haven’t had my blog all that long, but I can’t wait for the day when it’s been a couple years… a blogs a great way to look back on things :)
Mac recently posted..Best Bread Ever!

35 Shana Powell June 9, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I’m also trying the Beano trick right now. The problem is I keep forgetting to take it BEFORE I eat. I still take it after just in case it still works.
Shana Powell recently posted..Let the beet drop