Sweating My Face Off

Goodness gracious it is getting warm…

And yet I’m still too cheap to turn on the other AC unit. Am I nuts?

It was actually so warm in the kitchen today, that I broke a sweat trying to photograph a new batch of cupcakes that I made. And to keep the frosting from getting too warm, I actually brought my entire arsenal of cupcakes, frostings, and pastry bags into my bedroom to frost them in there where the AC was blasting.

Ohhh, you want to know what they look like? Ok, ok, I’ll give you a sneak peek…

But unfortunately, you’re going to have to wait just a little bit longer for the recipe. Winking smile

Tonight, Jay and I have a softball game…I almost wish that the round of storms that just rolled through brought enough rain to cancel it, but alas, the game is still on.

I am going to be sweating my face off.

So since we’re going to be leaving shortly, I whipped up a quick dinner…one that could even be cooked in the toaster oven so I didn’t have to turn on the hot stove.

I while back, I bought this Kashi Roasted Vegetable Stone-Fired Thin Crust pizza to keep on hand in case we needed a quick dinner. Well within 10 minutes, this baby was good to go.

Jay and I were both pleasantly surprised by the flavor of this pizza, considering it’s a frozen one. The one thing that I realized, however, was that it didn’t contain nearly as many vegetables as the box showed, so I added a few of my own slices of red onion and green pepper.

The size of the pizza was perfect for the two of us, which we polished off no problem (we each had three pieces). If we weren’t leaving for softball soon, and had I not already given myself a food baby from today’s lunch, I most likely would have paired it with a side salad.

**By the way, many of you expressed interest in knowing how things went with the beano…

While I felt good yesterday taking it, it didn’t appear to be of any help today. I’m almost wondering…now call me crazy…but can the time of day you eat certain foods have an effect on how you feel after eating them? I’ve noticed that salads seem to bother me more when I eat them at lunch, rather than at dinner???

Alrighty my friends, time to go play some ball! Open-mouthed smile

Question for the Evening:

Are you a fan of any frozen pizzas and/or entrees? Do you eat them regularly or occasionally?

I try not to eat/buy too many frozen, pre-packaged meals, but I do like having them on hand for situations like tonight. I think everyone once in a while is ok!

Oh my. Those cupcakes look amazing!

Um, not to scare you, but there is a recall on Kashi Pizzas – might want to check it out if you have more in the freezer – you can google it…. I’m sure you’re fine, but just in case you have more!

• Amanda says

Kashi is recalling approximately 11,000 cases of frozen pizzas, including Mediterranean Thin Crust Pizza, Roasted Vegetable Thin Crust Pizza, and Mushroom Trio and Spinach Thin Crust Pizza due to possible plastic fragments in an ingredient in the pizza crusts. For a complete description including size and “Best if Used By” date, go here. The recalled pizzas were sold nationwide through U.S. retail grocery stores.

Consumers with questions or who would like a replacement may contact the Kashi Consumer Response Center at 877.864.3521 Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time, or visit the firm’s website.

I love frozen pizzas on occasion. If I have it too much then I’ll get sick of them, but it’s nice to treat myself to an easy, yummy pizza once in a while.

Homemade pizzas with Trader Joe’s pizza dough are the BEST.
    Julia recently posted..Active Hangout

I totally agree!!!! AC baby!!!
    I love love love a bunch of Trader Joe’s appetizers. Do you have a TJ’s by you? They have these frozen caramelized onion tarts, and flat breads that cook super fast in the toaster oven. I always keep a couple on hand in case we have unexpected company :) And for when I am lazy and just want appetizers and wine for dinner :)
    Hope the game went well!
    Corey @ Family Fresh Meals recently posted..Italian Egg Drop Soup 400 Calorie Fix Book

I also tend to get bloated (and gassy…sorry!) after eating lots of veggies or a big salad! It’s really frustrating because I LOVE eating brocoli and cauliflower and massive salads for dinner, and I also love that they are so healthy! But when my stomach feels huge, bloated and uncomfortable afterwards, it totally takes away from the whole delicious and healthy experience :)

I was in a local health food store the other day and asked one of the employees there what might be the cause of my bloating. I mentioned that I figured it was probably all the fiber I eat. He said that the fiber can contribute to some bloating, however, what is probably causing the bloating, gassy, uncomfortable stomach is the acidic/alkaline ratio in my stomach and intestines (or something like that!). When that ratio is off, your body has a hard time digesting fibrous foods i.e. greens, salads, veggies…even some fruits. This can cause the bloating and gas. He suggested I start taking some probiotics, which apparently are supposed to aid in your digestion. I have only taken it the past few days…and honestly I haven’t had any big veggie-filled meals yet, that normally cause bloating…as I have worked during dinner for the past 3 nights! Here is the one I bought:

Anna Crouch recently posted..Ive Gained So Much More

turn on the AC! i wouldn’t be able to tough it out. i’m a big baby when it comes to heat. but those cupcakes look so cute and delish!

i love frozen foods (terrible, i know) i love frozen cpk pizzas!!!

I’m not a fan of frozen food, but if I was ever in need of something super quick, I guess that it wouldn’t be so bad.

Mmm those cupcakes look so good! Creamsicle flavored, perhaps??

I hope that person on etsy doesn’t steal it this time…that’s just awful and ridiculous…
    Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Sweat and the City

Those cupcakes are darling!

I don’t notice anything different based on the time of day I eat, but processed foods definitely affect me. When I stopped eating Lean Cuisine, my stomach problems decreased dramatically. I love the Kashi pizzas once in a while, though. And just having that kind of thing from time to time doesn’t seem to bug my tummy too much. Have you tried taking probiotics? I’m doing those with flaxseed oil right now and it seems to help some.
    Melissa recently posted..Extra Monday

• Courtney says

Really? Back in the day, I used to eat Activia, but it’s been a long time since then…I’ve been considering though. Is the flaxseed oil you’re taking just a supplement?

• says

I got the probiotic in capsule form at Target. They also have gummmies, but they’re kind of pricey. I got the Flaxseed Oil in capsules from Trader Joes. I just take one probiotic and 2 flaxseed capsules with dinner and I still get the bloating sometimes, but no pain like I used to.
        Melissa recently posted..Extra Monday

8. Shayla says

Omg yes the same thing happens to me!!! I can eat a humungous salad at night and have it not bother my tummy, but in the afternoon it’s a totally different story! Strange…..

I love having frozen pizzas on hand for when I don’t feel like cooking or ordering expensive take out….have you tried Amy’s? Super good and I love their mini pizzas, perfect portion for one, and nice for portion control since I have none of that around pizza! 😉

Food definitely affects me differently at different times, but I don’t know if it’s so much the time of day as opposed to what I pair it with. Fruit at night will hurt my stomach if I eat it along, but with a protein it sits better.
    gabriella @ embracement recently posted..Get Outside

Amy’s Organic vegan pizza is pretty fantastic. I think they just advertise it as a cheeseless veggie pizza, but the sauce is to die for. Trader Joe’s BBQ Chicken is another freezer staple of mine!

I’ve never tried beano, but being a healthy eater I do tend to get really bloated/gassy from fiber. Also, do you chew a lot of sugar-free gum? I get SO bloated when I do, and I used to think it was from my daily diet until I figured it out..
    Tanya @ Sunday Baker recently posted..Heat

I agree, though I don’t buy them often they are great to have on hand for nights you need an easy meal! And as long as you make the right choice when buying them they are a-okay :)

Those cupcakes look really good! Can’t wait for the recipe :) I have to make a batch next week for the hubby’s work and trying to figure out what kind to make.
    Lindsey recently posted..Whats Up Wednesday!

This might sound crazy but I’m actually trying to cut back a little on my veggie consumption as i find my meals keep me too full? I’m currently ok leaving 5-6 hours between meals but I know I should eat a little something in between (metabolism and calorie wise).. does that make any sense or have i lost it completely?

also good idea about adding your own meal to bulk out the pizza- looks yum!
    Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

• Courtney says

Nope, that makes sense! I end up staying full for a LONG time when I eat a lot of veggies…I hear ya!

ummm are those orange crush cupcakes??? You’re the best softball mom EVER!! Can’t wait for you to post the recipe, although I doubt I’ll be able to find orange crush in Singapore :) love your cupcake pics. AIR CONDITIONER = BLISS
    Crista recently posted..An Equal Debate

Ohhhh my gosh those cupcakes look awesome. I’m making the cookie dough ones today!!

I do eat frozen meals occasionally, but usually I think it’s easier to just make a big salad or sandwich or something. The Kashi Pizzas are awesome though!!
    Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Baking Fiesta

Can’t wait to see the cupcake recipe!!

Also, I was initially going to say “that pizza looks COVERED in veggies!” until I read that you added your own for good measure. Wise lady… Since my roomie/beau isn’t a veggie fan like myself, if we do get a fro-pi, I’ll push the pepperonis to his side and cover mine in home cut vegetables, much like yourself.
    Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Welcome to the Jungle

Are those orange creamsicle cupcakes?!?! HOLY YUM! They look awesome! Love the Orange Crush in the background 😉
    & I have that SAME feeling- I’m fine with salads at dinner…but at lunch I’m in pain! Sucks!! We NEED to figure this stuff out- our seriously sensitive stomachs are a piece of work!!
    Holly recently posted..Getting Prepped for the BIG Day!

the time of day i eat things makes a HUGE difference in how i feel and how my digestion works. I eat certain foods at certain times, and try not to stray from that. what works, works, right?
    Trisha recently posted..A Little Pick-Me-Up

19. Jen M. says

I read this in a yahoo article the other day (about the worst beach-body-picture foods, if you wonder what the beach reference is):

Broccoli, like cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and cabbage, falls into a class of produce known as cruciferous vegetables. These vegetables are among the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet, and as such, they should be consumed as often as possible. That said, you might want to hold off your day’s broccoli until you’re off the beach. Cruciferous vegetables contain a sugar called raffinose—the same sugar that gives beans their heavy-winded reputation. In your gut, raffinose is fermented by gas-producing bacteria, which can make you feel bloated and gassy.

Maybe look up cruciferous vegetables and stay away from them for a while when having a salad to see if that helps??

Also, time of day might play a part — how long after eating your lunch time salad do you start feeling bloated/gassy? If it’s several hours later, maybe when you have the salad for dinner, you’re just asleep already for the night when your body is processing the foods and at the point where it would make you bloated/gassy? I was on an extreme diet right before my sister’s wedding last year and my health coach was actually her future mother in law, and at the rehearsal dinner, her future MIL and I were talking about how yummy the meal was, and I commented about how it was going to wreck havoc on our systems because it was SO rich compared to what we HAD been eating, but she said we’d fortunately be sleeping when it did it’s thing, and it was true, I was fine.

??? I have no clue, just thought I’d pass along my recent readings and experiences in case it helped prompt you to research something and find an answer!

Hope you do, life without salads would be a sad thing!