Sweating My Face Off

by Courtney on June 8, 2011

Goodness gracious it is getting warm…

And yet I’m still too cheap to turn on the other AC unit. Am I nuts?

It was actually so warm in the kitchen today, that I broke a sweat trying to photograph a new batch of cupcakes that I made. And to keep the frosting from getting too warm, I actually brought my entire arsenal of cupcakes, frostings, and pastry bags into my bedroom to frost them in there where the AC was blasting.

Ohhh, you want to know what they look like? Ok, ok, I’ll give you a sneak peek…

But unfortunately, you’re going to have to wait just a little bit longer for the recipe. Winking smile

********

Tonight, Jay and I have a softball game…I almost wish that the round of storms that just rolled through brought enough rain to cancel it, but alas, the game is still on.

I am going to be sweating my face off.

So since we’re going to be leaving shortly, I whipped up a quick dinner…one that could even be cooked in the toaster oven so I didn’t have to turn on the hot stove.

I while back, I bought this Kashi Roasted Vegetable Stone-Fired Thin Crust pizza to keep on hand in case we needed a quick dinner. Well within 10 minutes, this baby was good to go.

Jay and I were both pleasantly surprised by the flavor of this pizza, considering it’s a frozen one. The one thing that I realized, however, was that it didn’t contain nearly as many vegetables as the box showed, so I added a few of my own slices of red onion and green pepper.

The size of the pizza was perfect for the two of us, which we polished off no problem (we each had three pieces). If we weren’t leaving for softball soon, and had I not already given myself a food baby from today’s lunch, I most likely would have paired it with a side salad.

**By the way, many of you expressed interest in knowing how things went with the beano…

While I felt good yesterday taking it, it didn’t appear to be of any help today. I’m almost wondering…now call me crazy…but can the time of day you eat certain foods have an effect on how you feel after eating them? I’ve noticed that salads seem to bother me more when I eat them at lunch, rather than at dinner???

Alrighty my friends, time to go play some ball! Open-mouthed smile

Question for the Evening:

Are you a fan of any frozen pizzas and/or entrees? Do you eat them regularly or occasionally?

I try not to eat/buy too many frozen, pre-packaged meals, but I do like having them on hand for situations like tonight. I think everyone once in a while is ok!

1 Emily June 8, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Oh my. Those cupcakes look amazing!

Um, not to scare you, but there is a recall on Kashi Pizzas – might want to check it out if you have more in the freezer – you can google it…. I’m sure you’re fine, but just in case you have more!

2 Courtney June 8, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Yikes! Really?!? It was my only one…

3 Amanda June 8, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Kashi is recalling approximately 11,000 cases of frozen pizzas, including Mediterranean Thin Crust Pizza, Roasted Vegetable Thin Crust Pizza, and Mushroom Trio and Spinach Thin Crust Pizza due to possible plastic fragments in an ingredient in the pizza crusts. For a complete description including size and “Best if Used By” date, go here. The recalled pizzas were sold nationwide through U.S. retail grocery stores.

Consumers with questions or who would like a replacement may contact the Kashi Consumer Response Center at 877.864.3521 Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time, or visit the firm’s website.

4 Courtney June 9, 2011 at 9:18 am

Ok, I just checked and it looks like my box is in the clear!! :)

5 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 8, 2011 at 7:16 pm

“Am I nuts?” —> YES!! Turn on that AC woman! :) Ours has been running nonstop and I”m okay with it.

We are supposed to get some crazy storms tonight too – finally a break from the heat!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..grocery shopping blues- summer break style

6 Julia June 8, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I love frozen pizzas on occasion. If I have it too much then I’ll get sick of them, but it’s nice to treat myself to an easy, yummy pizza once in a while.

Homemade pizzas with Trader Joe’s pizza dough are the BEST.
Julia recently posted..Active Hangout

7 Amanda (Eating Up) June 8, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I would say if it’s the same tomorrow, I would absolutely turn on the A/C. But I admire your strength! :-)
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Post-Grad Life- Updating the Context of Eating Up

8 Corey @ Family Fresh Meals June 8, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I totally agree!!!! AC baby!!!
I love love love a bunch of Trader Joe’s appetizers. Do you have a TJ’s by you? They have these frozen caramelized onion tarts, and flat breads that cook super fast in the toaster oven. I always keep a couple on hand in case we have unexpected company :) And for when I am lazy and just want appetizers and wine for dinner :)
Hope the game went well!
XO
Corey @ Family Fresh Meals recently posted..Italian Egg Drop Soup 400 Calorie Fix Book

9 Courtney June 8, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Unfortunately, the closest TJ’s is 2+ hours away from me :(

10 Anna Crouch June 8, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I also tend to get bloated (and gassy…sorry!) after eating lots of veggies or a big salad! It’s really frustrating because I LOVE eating brocoli and cauliflower and massive salads for dinner, and I also love that they are so healthy! But when my stomach feels huge, bloated and uncomfortable afterwards, it totally takes away from the whole delicious and healthy experience :)

I was in a local health food store the other day and asked one of the employees there what might be the cause of my bloating. I mentioned that I figured it was probably all the fiber I eat. He said that the fiber can contribute to some bloating, however, what is probably causing the bloating, gassy, uncomfortable stomach is the acidic/alkaline ratio in my stomach and intestines (or something like that!). When that ratio is off, your body has a hard time digesting fibrous foods i.e. greens, salads, veggies…even some fruits. This can cause the bloating and gas. He suggested I start taking some probiotics, which apparently are supposed to aid in your digestion. I have only taken it the past few days…and honestly I haven’t had any big veggie-filled meals yet, that normally cause bloating…as I have worked during dinner for the past 3 nights! Here is the one I bought:

Anna Crouch recently posted..Ive Gained So Much More

11 Erica June 8, 2011 at 7:39 pm

turn on the AC! i wouldn’t be able to tough it out. i’m a big baby when it comes to heat. but those cupcakes look so cute and delish!

i love frozen foods (terrible, i know) i love frozen cpk pizzas!!!

12 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 8, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I love love LOVE Kashi pizza!!! Slash those cupcakes are so freaking adorable. Are they orange cream cupcakes?!
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Do you like my dress Senior Ball Pictures!

13 Courtney June 8, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Mayyyyyyyybe ;)

14 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) June 8, 2011 at 7:51 pm

OMG, those cupcakes!
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Banana Bread Cookies Gluten Free and Vegan

15 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 8, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I’m not a fan of frozen food, but if I was ever in need of something super quick, I guess that it wouldn’t be so bad.

Mmm those cupcakes look so good! Creamsicle flavored, perhaps??

I hope that person on etsy doesn’t steal it this time…that’s just awful and ridiculous…
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Sweat and the City

16 Caroline June 8, 2011 at 8:03 pm

ahhh! those cupcakes look so yummy..the bright colors always appeal to me! I am going to have to make them once you post the recipe!
Caroline recently posted..Dessert Hummus &amp New Pictures

17 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 8, 2011 at 8:03 pm

So I’m not exactly sure about this – but I swear I read something (possibly on choosingraw.com) about how the order of things you eat affects how your digest food. Maybe I’m crazy – but it sounds so familiar!

18 Lauren June 8, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I love frozen entrees – they always have a time and a place. I try to keep a frozen pizza in my freezer at all times for those nights when I just don’t feel like cooking :)
Lauren recently posted..A Wilmington Restaurant Review – Midtown Seafood Restaurant Another CCW First

19 Melissa June 8, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Those cupcakes are darling!

I don’t notice anything different based on the time of day I eat, but processed foods definitely affect me. When I stopped eating Lean Cuisine, my stomach problems decreased dramatically. I love the Kashi pizzas once in a while, though. And just having that kind of thing from time to time doesn’t seem to bug my tummy too much. Have you tried taking probiotics? I’m doing those with flaxseed oil right now and it seems to help some.
Melissa recently posted..Extra Monday

20 Courtney June 8, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Really? Back in the day, I used to eat Activia, but it’s been a long time since then…I’ve been considering though. Is the flaxseed oil you’re taking just a supplement?

21 Melissa June 8, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I got the probiotic in capsule form at Target. They also have gummmies, but they’re kind of pricey. I got the Flaxseed Oil in capsules from Trader Joes. I just take one probiotic and 2 flaxseed capsules with dinner and I still get the bloating sometimes, but no pain like I used to.
Melissa recently posted..Extra Monday

22 Courtney June 8, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Interesting…thanks for the info!

23 Shayla June 8, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Omg yes the same thing happens to me!!! I can eat a humungous salad at night and have it not bother my tummy, but in the afternoon it’s a totally different story! Strange…..

I love having frozen pizzas on hand for when I don’t feel like cooking or ordering expensive take out….have you tried Amy’s? Super good and I love their mini pizzas, perfect portion for one, and nice for portion control since I have none of that around pizza! ;)

24 Courtney June 8, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I haven’t, but I’ll keep that in mind!

25 gabriella @ embracement June 8, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Food definitely affects me differently at different times, but I don’t know if it’s so much the time of day as opposed to what I pair it with. Fruit at night will hurt my stomach if I eat it along, but with a protein it sits better.
gabriella @ embracement recently posted..Get Outside

26 Holly @ Pink Runner June 8, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Yes, you are a bit crazy to not have the AC on right now. I definitely think it is harder on my stomach eating salad for lunch.
Holly @ Pink Runner recently posted..Wedding and Sushi

27 Blog is the New Black June 8, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Can’t WAIT for that recipe!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Lemon Bars

28 tina @ vanillandspice June 8, 2011 at 9:18 pm

ummmm, those cupcakes look amazing. I can’t wait for the recipe!
tina @ vanillandspice recently posted..I Have A Problem

29 Ashley @ Healthy Life For Me June 8, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I try to stay away from anything in a package, but thats just me;)
Ashley @ Healthy Life For Me recently posted..Brownie in a mug

30 Sarah June 8, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Amy’s Organic vegan pizza is pretty fantastic. I think they just advertise it as a cheeseless veggie pizza, but the sauce is to die for. Trader Joe’s BBQ Chicken is another freezer staple of mine!

31 Tanya @ Sunday Baker June 8, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I’ve never tried beano, but being a healthy eater I do tend to get really bloated/gassy from fiber. Also, do you chew a lot of sugar-free gum? I get SO bloated when I do, and I used to think it was from my daily diet until I figured it out..
Tanya @ Sunday Baker recently posted..Heat

32 Kelly @foodiefresh June 8, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Frozen pizza…even the cheap ones…taste so good! Most pizza tastes good for that matter.
Kelly @foodiefresh recently posted..Breakfast on repeat

33 Lindsey June 8, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I agree, though I don’t buy them often they are great to have on hand for nights you need an easy meal! And as long as you make the right choice when buying them they are a-okay :)

Those cupcakes look really good! Can’t wait for the recipe :) I have to make a batch next week for the hubby’s work and trying to figure out what kind to make.
Lindsey recently posted..Whats Up Wednesday!

34 Marykate Sinnott June 8, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Healthy-I like Trader Joe’s pizzas (I add extra veggies too!)
Not-so-Healthy-Red Baron Deep Dish Microwave Pizzas!
Marykate Sinnott recently posted..Hooray for Starbucks!

35 Courtney June 9, 2011 at 9:18 am

Oh gosh…I used to eat those all.the.time when I was younger!!

36 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) June 8, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I recently tried the Kashi Chicken BBQ frozen pizza and I did not like it! The taste was just kind of weird lol Yours looks yummy tho :)

37 Khushboo June 8, 2011 at 11:16 pm

This might sound crazy but I’m actually trying to cut back a little on my veggie consumption as i find my meals keep me too full? I’m currently ok leaving 5-6 hours between meals but I know I should eat a little something in between (metabolism and calorie wise).. does that make any sense or have i lost it completely?

also good idea about adding your own meal to bulk out the pizza- looks yum!
Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

38 Courtney June 9, 2011 at 9:17 am

Nope, that makes sense! I end up staying full for a LONG time when I eat a lot of veggies…I hear ya!

39 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" June 8, 2011 at 11:17 pm

hmmmmm….not really a fan of frozen entrees/pizzas. I think it’s because I like lots of food and those frozen portions can be so smallll. And also I like to mix and match foods and frozen dinners don’t allow for that fun!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy Living Girl” recently posted..Ode to Coffee

40 Honey @ Honey, What's Cooking June 9, 2011 at 12:42 am

dude, i totally keep frozen food on hand, not that much, but Bean Burritos and Jalapeno Poppers (my favorite). I don’t believe in eating frozen meals every night, maybe once a week, that’s really not bad. Everyone needs a break from time to time. Pizza is cooks up the way it does on the box. :-)
Honey @ Honey, What’s Cooking recently posted..Mexican Lasagna – It Can Happen!

41 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 9, 2011 at 2:43 am

It doesn’t get much hotter than 95 in NY, turn the A/C on girl! haha
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Ireland Day 6 &amp 7- Killarney

42 ellalinea June 9, 2011 at 2:52 am

I never have frozen pizza.. mainly because I don’t really like Pizza..(Am I weird now? :p) I only eat it on vacay in Italy :)

Question: Could you maybe recommend any good Froyo places in the USA? :)
ellalinea recently posted..Paris is calling Bikram yoga- locking the knee

43 Crista June 9, 2011 at 7:21 am

ummm are those orange crush cupcakes??? You’re the best softball mom EVER!! Can’t wait for you to post the recipe, although I doubt I’ll be able to find orange crush in Singapore :) love your cupcake pics. AIR CONDITIONER = BLISS
Crista recently posted..An Equal Debate

44 Courtney June 9, 2011 at 9:16 am

Haha, thanks! Don’t worry…the soda isn’t in the cupcakes ;)

45 Lee @ in the pink of condition June 9, 2011 at 7:32 am

Those cupcakes are INCREDIBLE! Looks like Orange Crush to me! You really should become a pastry chef. :-)
Lee @ in the pink of condition recently posted..Outfit Post

46 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries June 9, 2011 at 8:15 am

I’m the queen of cheap and saving money, but that’s so HOT!! I’d be dying! I buy frozen meals during the semester because when you only have 1 hour between getting off of work and heading to class, it’s the only option that’s better than fast food!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Getting Back on the Bandwagon

47 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine June 9, 2011 at 8:49 am

Ohhhh my gosh those cupcakes look awesome. I’m making the cookie dough ones today!!

I do eat frozen meals occasionally, but usually I think it’s easier to just make a big salad or sandwich or something. The Kashi Pizzas are awesome though!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Baking Fiesta

48 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 9, 2011 at 9:26 am

Can’t wait to see the cupcake recipe!!

Also, I was initially going to say “that pizza looks COVERED in veggies!” until I read that you added your own for good measure. Wise lady… Since my roomie/beau isn’t a veggie fan like myself, if we do get a fro-pi, I’ll push the pepperonis to his side and cover mine in home cut vegetables, much like yourself.
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Welcome to the Jungle

49 Brittany June 9, 2011 at 9:42 am

So when are you opening the bakery??!

50 Courtney June 9, 2011 at 10:47 am

Hahaha when I find someone to be my financial backer ;)

51 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Health June 9, 2011 at 10:36 am

I am so jealous of the heat! I can honestly say I have no sympathy as we had a frost warning and snow where I live in Canada last weekend! I want summer… and some iced coffee. Your breakfast looks delish!

52 Holly June 9, 2011 at 11:13 am

Are those orange creamsicle cupcakes?!?! HOLY YUM! They look awesome! Love the Orange Crush in the background ;)
& I have that SAME feeling- I’m fine with salads at dinner…but at lunch I’m in pain! Sucks!! We NEED to figure this stuff out- our seriously sensitive stomachs are a piece of work!!
Holly recently posted..Getting Prepped for the BIG Day!

53 Trisha June 9, 2011 at 12:39 pm

the time of day i eat things makes a HUGE difference in how i feel and how my digestion works. I eat certain foods at certain times, and try not to stray from that. what works, works, right?
Trisha recently posted..A Little Pick-Me-Up

54 Jen M. June 9, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I read this in a yahoo article the other day (about the worst beach-body-picture foods, if you wonder what the beach reference is):

Broccoli, like cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and cabbage, falls into a class of produce known as cruciferous vegetables. These vegetables are among the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet, and as such, they should be consumed as often as possible. That said, you might want to hold off your day’s broccoli until you’re off the beach. Cruciferous vegetables contain a sugar called raffinose—the same sugar that gives beans their heavy-winded reputation. In your gut, raffinose is fermented by gas-producing bacteria, which can make you feel bloated and gassy.

Maybe look up cruciferous vegetables and stay away from them for a while when having a salad to see if that helps??

Also, time of day might play a part — how long after eating your lunch time salad do you start feeling bloated/gassy? If it’s several hours later, maybe when you have the salad for dinner, you’re just asleep already for the night when your body is processing the foods and at the point where it would make you bloated/gassy? I was on an extreme diet right before my sister’s wedding last year and my health coach was actually her future mother in law, and at the rehearsal dinner, her future MIL and I were talking about how yummy the meal was, and I commented about how it was going to wreck havoc on our systems because it was SO rich compared to what we HAD been eating, but she said we’d fortunately be sleeping when it did it’s thing, and it was true, I was fine.

??? I have no clue, just thought I’d pass along my recent readings and experiences in case it helped prompt you to research something and find an answer!

Hope you do, life without salads would be a sad thing!

55 Shana Powell June 9, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I have that striped placemat! And those cupcakes are ridiculously cute!
Shana Powell recently posted..Let the beet drop