Extremely Grateful Today

by Courtney on June 11, 2011

This morning, I am feeling extremely grateful.

Grateful for the fact that Jay decided not to ask me to join him in a golf tournament today. Because when I tell you that it’s like a monsoon out there, I’m really not kidding.

And as much as I love to golf with my pink clubs (remember, I’m not that bad!) I’d much rather spend my day not looking like a soaking wet ragamuffin.

So what would I rather do then you ask?

Well, for starters, I got up nice and early (since hubs had to be out the door by 6:30am himself) to hit up the gym for some BodyPump. Usually, my Tuesday & Thursday classes are enough for one week, but our instructor informed us the other day that the new release of BodyPump 78 was going to be launched this morning and I was really excited to see the new stuff…and especially the new music track.

song

Thoughts on BP 78:

• The playlist was pretty decent, and kept me “pumped” for most of the class.
  • The back track (#4) includes 24 clean and presses – about double the usual amount…woah.
  • I really liked the song for the bicep track (#6), despite there being no rest.
  • The shoulder track (#8) made me feel like I belonged in an underground techno party.

**********

I decided to forego any extra cardio today (just wasn’t feelin’ it) so I headed home to make some breakfast. The damp, dreary weather had me craving one thing: a nice, warm bowl of creamy buckwheat. But let’s be honest

The real reason I wanted a bowl of buckwheat this morning is because it was the perfect excuse to eat cookies with breakfast is delicious.

In today’s mix:

This bowl was downright incredible for a number of reasons:

1. Using skim milk seemed to totally change the texture of the buckwheat, resulting in a creamy, fluffy batch.

2. I used Hillary’s method of stirring in the nut butter at the end of cooking, rather than putting my usual dollop on top, which is absolutely genius. Thanks, Hil!

3. And, duh, it had a crumbled cookie on top…of course it’s going to be incredible!

With breakfast, iced coffee was consumed…

And now I’m a happy camper and officially ready to tackle today.

I’ve got LOTS to do!

Question for the Morning:

Do you find music influences your workouts? Do you enjoy working out to music?

1 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie June 11, 2011 at 9:56 am

Oatmeal is the perfect excuse to have a cookie with :) I really want to try those cookies!

2 Sarah June 11, 2011 at 9:58 am

I love that Tiesto (#10) made the cut!!! That song really influences my workout. I saw him play at USC a few years back, and I’ve loved his music for workouts ever since

3 Val @ Balancing Val June 11, 2011 at 10:00 am

Oatmeal is a great canvas to crumble anything on top of . . . like anything.

Even ice cream . . . ;)

4 Brittany June 11, 2011 at 10:01 am

Music is extremely important in my workouts. I can’t have a good workout with out it! One time my ipod broke- I flipped out! I had a gigantic pepsi bottle full of coins- so I broke it open so I could buy myself a new ipod. I put that thing on immediate delivery! haha. thank goodness for spare change.

Have a great day! :)

5 Lindsay June 11, 2011 at 10:04 am

Your b-fast looks delicious! I contacted you yesterday through your site to ask you about blogging. Please don’t feel the need to respond…I went ahead and started one. Once the idea go into my head I just had to go with it :)

6 Courtney June 11, 2011 at 10:12 am

I’m tackling my inbox this morning…I’ll still respond!! :)

7 Lindsay June 11, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Ahhh I started it…this is scary. Thanks for your response :)

8 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign June 11, 2011 at 10:12 am

Your breakfast sounds delicious. I’m out of coffee and iced coffee today…I see a trip to Starbucks in my near future.

I find that I work out harder with music since it helps to pump me up.
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Housekeeping

9 Mac June 11, 2011 at 10:12 am

To be honest music is just background music for me, I wish it motivated me because that would be a very simple way to get me going!
Mac recently posted..Best Bread Ever!

10 Samantha June 11, 2011 at 10:14 am

Wow, that body pumps sounds like a hella workout. The only place near me that offers it is a gym I don’t belong to! Bummer!
Samantha recently posted..Adapt! Improvise! Overcome! Day 23 &amp 24

11 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 11, 2011 at 10:20 am

I’m so jealous that you got to do the new Body Pump release! I’m sure it was awesome, though I always get tired of the routine two weeks in…

It’s raining like crazy over here too! I wish it would stop so I could go for my run :(
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..A Good Start

12 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 11, 2011 at 10:39 am

Body pump is the one thing that sucks about having a home gym. I really think I’d enjoy those classes!

13 Khushboo June 11, 2011 at 10:43 am

Great tracks, especially numbers 1,2,5,6! Music can def make or break a workout for me. Half the jams on my workout playlist are stuff I wouldn’t normally listen to but they get me raising the tempo!

On a diff note, PLEASE make a sunny side up egg. I just made another & its official: I’m obsessed!
Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

14 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 11, 2011 at 10:48 am

I can NOT wait to do this release at my gym (mostly because I love Yeah 3x). Music can totally push me to work harder than I would normally, but (on the same note) it can make me feel like giving up if I don’t like the song. Not sure what the release was where the bicep track was a Nickelback song, but that ALWAYS makes me want to give up.
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Welcome to the Jungle

15 Amanda @ The Beauty Notebooks June 11, 2011 at 11:07 am

Cookies for breakfast!? Count me in! Because I used to be a picky eater when it came to breakfast when I was younger (which I can’t believe since now breakfast is my favorite meal of the day!), my mom let me eat cookies for breakfast! haha. it was great!
Amanda @ The Beauty Notebooks recently posted..Seventeen Magazine- May 2005

16 Colleen June 11, 2011 at 11:26 am

Ooo I always get excited for launches. The teachers for my Body Step class last year always dressed up in crazy outfits for the launches, and even threw confetti at the end of class once! So fun.
Colleen recently posted..Triple Play Saturday

17 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 11, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Glad you enjoyed my nut butter ‘method’ :) Happy Saturday, Court!
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..simply summer strawberry oats

18 Joanna June 11, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I have to work out with music, it drowns out any noise distractions & helps me to focus on my work out while giving me extra motivation too.

19 Cynthia (It All Changes) June 11, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Music influences me when I want to keep running or working out in some fashion to keep singing. Show tunes sound tracks are fantastic for this and so is anything up beat from high school.

BTW It is a monsoon out there. I am staying in the library until it goes away or the library closes.
Cynthia (It All Changes) recently posted..Random Happenings

20 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 11, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I can’t believe that it’s raining everywhere except here!! Also I saw one of your tweets the other day! Are you in Syracuse?! I am going to SU next year and it would rockkkk to have other bloggies in town!
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..The Perfect Barbie Chair Salad The Last Day!

21 Courtney June 11, 2011 at 1:51 pm

No, I’m not in Syracuse…a few hours east from there!

22 Nicole @sugarcoatedsisters June 11, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I basically HAVE to have music when I’m working out… and it’s typically really obnoxious electro/house music. It’s not really my “style” of music, but it keeps me pumped and working out for my whole time at the gym :)
Nicole @sugarcoatedsisters recently posted..No Jean Jackets!

23 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" June 11, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Music totally influences my workout! Without it, I am bored and unmotivated. I like to space out and kind of go to “dream world” when I work out, and to do that, I need a soundtrack! Right now, I’m really into Natasha Bedingfield’s Strip Me. It’s got such a great message and always pumps me up :-)
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy Living Girl” recently posted..Walk it Out – Deep Thoughts- By Sometimes Healthy

24 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 11, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I want to try Body Pump SO BADLY but my local gym doesn’t have it :(
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..A Tail of Two Cats

25 Kristi June 11, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Can you send some of that rain my way please?

26 Courtney June 11, 2011 at 4:29 pm

AbsoLUTELY! ;)

27 Amy @ Life's a Payne June 11, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I am obsessed with Lady Gaga’s new album, she totally gets me through my workouts! The 80s techno vibe really helps me keep pumping it out when I feel I can’t get through!

28 tina @ vanillandspice June 11, 2011 at 4:45 pm

That buckwheat looks really good, and not just because there’s a crushed cookie on top!
tina @ vanillandspice recently posted..It’s About Time

29 Laura @ Backstage Pass June 11, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Thanks for sharing the tracklist for the new BP release… I’m so excited to try this out! My next class is on Tuesday, hopefully the instructor will have this new release.
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..Time for another Brian Wilson SF Giants post

30 Jean @ Gold Chocolate Coins June 21, 2011 at 6:55 am

Extremely Delicious especially oatmeal is good for the heart. So it has a big help to all the people who has a heart problem.Thanks:)
Jean @ Gold Chocolate Coins recently posted..Gold Wrapped Chocolate Coins