Let Me Take That Fruit Salsa

by Courtney on June 20, 2011

Yesterday when we went over to my parents’ house for dinner, not only did my mom send me home with a generous portion of leftover Strawberry Angel Pie, but she also sent me home with some fruit salsa.

She had a work party at her house late last week, which left her with a bunch of leftover fruit salsa. It most likely would have gone uneaten at their house, so I’m sure you can imagine I was more than happy to take it off her hands…and incorporate it into today’s lunch!

While I was at the grocery store this morning, I happened to come across some of this Wasa Crisp’n Light 7 grain crackerbread which was on sale AND had a coupon!

While the crackerbreads really don’t offer much in the flavor department, they are really light and airy, and are great for using as a base for things like today’s lunch.

For the savory route, I topped two crackers with some hommus and cucumber slices.

For my sweet tooth, I topped two more crackers with some plain Chobani and a generous helping of fruit salsa. The fruit salsa is delicious and reminds me a lot of the version I make.

For a little more randomness, I filled up the rest of my banana from this morning’s breakfast with a little PB.

I also finished off the rest of the Chobani container with a little more fruit salsa.

A little random, maybe, but it was light and refreshing, and totally delish.

*********

I’ve loved reading all of your insights from this morning’s post on the Miss USA pageant. If you haven’t had a chance yet, make sure to go check it out…there’s some great discussion happening!

Question for the Afternoon:

What combinations would YOU try on these crackers? (I have a whole box and need more ideas…I’ll be sure to try and give a shout out to any combos that sound amazing!)

1 Gloria June 20, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Would you be able to post a recipe for the fruit salsa? It looks amazing!

Other combinations for the Wasa crackers: smoked salmon and light cream cheese, peanut butter and jelly/jam (or banana!), light cream cheese/laughing cow cheese wedges/plain chobani and strawberry slices (or other berries), tomato slices and mozzarella…anything really. But since you like seafood, I’d do the smoked salmon. The best.

2 Corey @ Family Fresh Meals June 20, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I agree…. please post the fruit salsa recipe! That looks delish :) I can think of 100 things to put that yummy mix on! heheh
XO
Corey @ Family Fresh Meals recently posted..Tomato-Watermelon Gazpacho Weight Watchers Magazine

3 Courtney June 20, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Hey girls! I don’t have the recipe for THIS fruit salsa, but I did link to mine in the post…
Here it is again! http://www.sweettoothsweetlife.com/2010/07/18/capital-district-ny-eat-drink-blog/

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 20, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I would totally do pb (or almond butter, or any butter really ;)) with choc. chips on top for a desserty option!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Bloggers Greek festival

5 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 20, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I think those crackers are dying for some low cal spinach dip, but your salsa sounds more like dessert to me! Would love it on some frozen yogurt!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Weekend Recap

6 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 20, 2011 at 2:27 pm

mmmm those crackers are like blank slates :-) What about marshmallow fluff with chocolate syrup and peanut butter – like a peanut butter smore. YUMMY!!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Ode to Sometimes Healthy Dad

7 Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries June 20, 2011 at 2:28 pm

That’s such a pretty lunch!

I love watermelon, feta, and mint on bread so I’m sure it would be delicious on those crackers.
Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries recently posted..The Four Seasons of Cancer continued

8 Lindsey June 20, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Mashed avocado with sea salt?!
Lindsey recently posted..This Is How I Roll

9 Emily June 20, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Well your toppers look delish – but you could totally go the “pizza-inspired” route and use leftover pizza or spaghetti sauce with a sprinkle of cheese. Or pesto and tomato slices. Cream cheese and salmon would be amazing. And anything with almond butter would make me smile. I also really love sweet and savory combos like sharp cheddar cheese and strawberry jam/jelly. Also fig preserves and goat cheese are a delicious combo.

Happy snacking. :)
Emily recently posted..App-tastic

10 Steph @ StephSnacks June 20, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Cream Cheese and Jelly… an oldie but a goodie!

11 Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique June 20, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I could go for some fruit salsa right about now. It’s the perfect summer treat.
Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique recently posted..Day Dreaming

12 Andrea @ Onion in My Hair June 20, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Substitute as low-cal croutons in your next salad or soup.

Otherwise they would add lots of crunch for a cottage cheese, tomato and cracked black pepper sandwich.
Andrea @ Onion in My Hair recently posted..First Sunburn of 2011

13 Brenda June 20, 2011 at 2:35 pm

That looks like the fruit salsa I make and its aaaamazzing. Here is the link for it http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/annies-fruit-salsa-and-cinnamon-chips/detail.aspx

I don’t make the chips, I just get Stacey’s cinnamon pita chips.

14 Faith @ lovelyascharged June 20, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I’d make a cream cheese and spinach dip for them – some cream cheese, steamed spinach, garlic salt and parsley all mixed together and warmed.
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..The End of the ‘End

15 ellalinea June 20, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I love wasa crackers :) Although I do eat rice cakes like my life depends on it haha :)

your fruit salsa reminds me of sangria.. soooo gooood! :)
ellalinea recently posted..Off to the fair!

16 Katherine June 20, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Do you love Chobani? I just started back into the Greek yogurt realm, and well…it was the first type I have tried-in this new time around. I love it :)

You must give me that recipe for that fruit salsa :)
Katherine recently posted..Just One Of Those Mornings

17 Courtney June 20, 2011 at 4:29 pm

It’s linked in the post :)

18 Jenny & Love Eat Run June 20, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Would totally be eating those bad boys with peanut butter and dates and/or banana!!! maybe some yogurt with cinnamon and sugar as well!
Jenny & Love Eat Run recently posted..Oh Thank Heaven!

19 Heather @ Girlyeverafter June 20, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I love fruit salsa and Ihave just become obsesses with WASA so the combo seems dangerous, but in a good way!
Heather @ Girlyeverafter recently posted..Skin Care Posts to come…

20 Lindsay June 20, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Such a pretty lunch! Those would be good if you topped them with pizza toppings- pizza sauce, cheese, and then either pepperoni (my personal fav) or veggies. Then you could maybe toast them? Or are they too fragile?

21 Courtney June 20, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Hmm, not sure if they would toast well…but worth a try!

22 The Teenage Taste June 20, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Your lunch looks delicious! I love random little lunches like that. They are my favorite!
Have a great day! :-)
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Blueberry Walnut Muffins

23 Shayla June 20, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Those look awesome, I’ll have to try them! For savory I would try a spin off of a caprese salad, so pile the cracker with tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and a basil leaf and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette. Or for sweet, top one with a laughing cow cheese wedge, sliced apples/pears, chopped nuts on top, and drizzle with honey!

24 Melissa June 20, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Oh my goodness Courtney, I would love to tell you I have a great idea for those crackers, but I just don’t think I could eat them! Your toppers do sound pretty delicious, but those put me off even more than rice cakes. Maybe if you put chocolate frosting on them I’d be more interested??? ;)
Melissa recently posted..Preventative Maintenance

25 Sarah June 20, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I love putting cream cheese with some cinnamon and raisins or dried cranberries. The savory and sweet combo is so great!

26 Shana June 20, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I love Wasa! I eat them with jam, peanut butter and jelly, or cottage cheese with thinly sliced peaches and a drizzle of honey. One person mentioned making a pizza with it. It totally works with spaghetti sauce and some cheese. I didn’t try toasting it though. I like the other versions compared to the light though, because the light ones are kind of flimsy when you add toppings. The hearty or multigrain hold up to lots of fixin’s!
Shana recently posted..My Two Dads

27 Hannah June 20, 2011 at 10:01 pm

loooooove these crackers!!!! you are right- they are not flavorful but perfect for snacking and you dont feel too guilty. hummus is good too, or cheese!
Hannah recently posted..Monday Exhaustion

28 Stephanie Bragg June 20, 2011 at 10:33 pm

That looks delicious! Your plate looks so pretty and that fruit salsa sounds amazing
Stephanie Bragg recently posted..Not So Healthy Biscuit Pizza

29 Khushboo June 20, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I love wasas! Cottage cheese and strawberry or blueberry jam? Or the classic pb with banana slices?
Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

30 Kate June 20, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Not sure if anyone has said this yet but I would try a laughing cow cheese wedge. I haven’t had the Wasa Crisp’n Thins but I have had some of their other flavors and I’ve put vegetable cream cheese on those and that’s pretty good too. I don’t know if you have any deli meat like turkey but they might be good on top too with hummus or cheese and some veggies
Kate recently posted..What’s Cookin’