Totally Sucked In

Good morning! How’s life treatin’ ya on this beautiful Monday morning??

Just catching up from the weekend like me? Here’s a little bit of what you may have missed on the ‘ol blog:

I’ll Always Be Proud To Call Him Dad

Quick Transitions from Vacation Mode

My Outer Banks Recap: By The Numbers

****

So last night, I ended up getting totally sucked in to watching the Miss USA Pageant.

source

I’ve always loved watching pageants on TV and grew up watching them quite frequently with my mom. We would always try to see if we could pick who was going to make it into each round and we’d comment on all the evening gowns. I actually really loved the color of the California’s dress, Alyssa Campanella, who actually went on to win the pageant.

source

Now, if you’ve ever checked out the Q&A Page here, then you probably already know that I have competed in the Miss New York pageant…twice. Crazy, right?

308

Please don’t think any less of me. Winking smile

I decided to enter the pageant both in 2005 and 2006, just for fun and on a whim, since it was being held right in Albany. Had I needed to drive more than 15 minutes to compete, I wouldn’t have even bothered. I honestly kind of look back and laugh about it now…I really am not the typical pageant type.

282296

Both years, I ended up making it to be a semi-finalist, which I thought was awesome, seeing as though I was going into it with an “I don’t care” attitude, and other girls there had been working their whole lives at this sort of thing.

It really boggled my mind.

So it’s really kind of fun now to watch these pageants on TV, knowing some of the stuff that really goes on “behind the scenes.” I’m not going to lie…some girls are beautiful, some are genuine, and some are total bitches. Yep, I went there! And if there’s anything else you want to know…just ask. Smile

On another note, I couldn’t help but make some observations during the swimsuit competition.

source

There’s no doubt that some of these girls have some rockin’ bodies (Jay made sure to watch this part too). Especially Alabama…she had some killer muscles! But some of the girls were so thin and they just did not look good, in my opinion. I don’t know…

What are your thoughts on pageants? Good/Bad? Do you like to watch them?

*****

Alright, moving on! Let’s talk breakfast…

Thanks to a dead camera battery that is charging, we’re recycling some photos this morning. No harm, no foul.

Iced coffee was consumed immediately, and tasted delicious as ever.

I also whipped up a batch of creamy buckwheat using this recipe.

This morning’s bowl looked very similar, only with a little less PB, since what you see here is my beloved PB2 which I still have yet to restock on.

I really have to put that on my to-do list today…along with cleaning the rest of the house that exploded with all of our vacation belongings as soon as we got home this weekend!

Questions for the Morning:

See above…I want to know your thoughts on pageants!

Comments

1. Danica says

I watched the Miss USA pageant for a little while last night, too. I completely agree with you on their swimsuit part-a few looked muscular (good!!) but a few looked so skinny it really almost just made me sad-they didn’t look very healthy in my opinion, but it’s hard to know! When the last 4 girls answered questions at the end though I couldn’t help but laugh at their answers! Texas was the only girl who answered well and sounded like she could make a reasonable response, but the other 3 didn’t even make sense…yikes :-/ And then Texas got 4th place. It’s all a little silly to me I guess because it seems like they just judge based on appearance and I’m not a fan of that message…

I’ve had some friends who did pageants and from the stories I’ve heard-they are quite the experience. I would probably watch one if I happened upon it while channel surfing, but I wouldn’t seek one out myself.
    Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..In Love

I’ve always been oddly fascinated by pageants. I wanted to done them so badly when I was a little girl – glittery dresses, lipstick, crowns…what little girl wouldn’t want to? But as I’m getting older, I don’t really like the message that they send – that maybe if you parade around in your bikini and look better than the other girls, you can be celebrated and called beautiful? I dislike that premise, so I lost any and all desire to ever be in one or watch them.
    Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..The End of the ‘End

Thoughts about pageants!

Ok…I was in Miss Illinois USA Nov 2009 (so 2010 was the “crown”). I absolutely loved every minute of it! I am also not “pageant” material…nor was cut out for the crazyness that is pageant life! Needless to say…I am not one to judge and I met some wonderful women through this experience! I have to say…working to fit into my dress was super challenging, but a GREAT accomplishment nonetheless! I was in killer shape and proud of my achievements :-) You look great in your pageant pics, Court!
    Claire recently posted..New Blogging Tactic!

• says

Thanks, Courtney :-)

I enjoyed it SO very much…and until watching the pageant forgot just how much fun it really was…would you ever do another one? I am thinking being “more mature” would be a great tactic in the pageant system…you may see me give it one more go round!
        Claire recently posted..New Blogging Tactic!

I haven’t watched a pageant in forever and since we don’t have cable anymore I didn’t catch last night’s either but in general I can’t stand them! haha
    I honestly can’t think of a time I heard anyone say anything intelligent during one and I’m just not a fan of what they promote body image wise for all the young girls out there. Some probably work really hard to acquire that body and others like you said, just look too skinny and unhealthy IMO.
    Hope this doesn’t offend you, I don’t think anything less of you ;) just not a fan in general of them!
    Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Bloggers Greek festival

6. briana says

I watched the pageant last night as well and I loved California i thought she was actually naturally pretty. The girls wear so much makeup it looks ridiculous and the swimsuits are soooooo tiny I don’t know how they wear them on stage! Many of the girls were so thin and I’m pretty sure Iv’e never seen a chubby girl on the show! Oh and props to you for competing I think it takes guts and confidence!

I felt the same way about the swimsuit competition. I always get sucked in to pageants and I think the past few years have been much better with this part of the competition. I think we’re, again, moving away from loving our curves and just going the skinny route. A lot of the girls didn’t look natural at all. I kept thinking “how do they airbrush this?!” because that’s exactly what it looked like. And I’m a creeper, and honestly thought last night, Courtney looks like a pageant queen…and now I know the truth! hahaha I’m not weird, I promise. :)
    Amanda recently posted..Learning to Love New Foods- Tackling Fish

I agree with you, I think most of those girls are way too thin. If they look that skinny on camera (you know, the whole ‘adds ten pounds’ thing), I can’t imagine how skinny they are in real life. I’m thinking a lot of them diet on purpose for pageant day, but still, we need more role models that look fit, healthy, and maybe even a little curvy (in my opinion).
    Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Dad’s Day

I watch them sometimes, but I think they just provide a totally distorted view of what beauty is truly supposed to be! Some of those girls are wayyyy too thin, and knowing how I am sometimes uncomfortable with my own body, I don’t need those images being pushed as “ideal”. But, I also think they can be fun to watch because some of the things people say and do are really entertaining :) I can imagine how bitchy some of those girls can get! You look so pretty in those pictures though! If I was into pageants, I would want someone like you to win…not one of those waifish (sp?), caked-on makeup, fake girls haha. ok sorry for ranting

It’s so funny you mentioned the pagent! I was flip-flopping between that and Miss Congeniality last night … mostly because I thought it was funny that they were both on at the same time.
    I completely agree with you (and it seems like everyone else that has commented thus far) that some looked healthy and some were waaay too skinny. That being said – I love seeing all the dresses they wear!
    Kate recently posted..What’s Cookin’

Wow they do have killer bodies but I bet the hunger behind it is contributing to the bitchiness! Maryland especially looks very thin! What did a regular day of eats look like for you during the days you participated (fun tidbit btw!)
    Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

• Courtney says

Oh gosh…I wouldn’t even know. I wasn’t so much concerned about the “healthy living” aspect of food at that time. I’m sure one day I would have eaten nothing but veggies and jell-o, and the next wolfed down a cheeseburger and french fries. I was NOT healthy and NOT a good role model for food! :(

Thank goodness I turned things around!

yum – per usual your breakfast looks delish!

Now, on to pageants. First off, do not be ashamed that you competed in pageants. You’re beautiful, smart and funny – you are the type of person that SHOULD be competing in pageants. Miss Nebraska a few years ago was from my high school (Molly) and just like you, she was incredibly smart and talented. I think when women like you both you and Molly compete in pageants, they are fulfilling their purpose! And yes I watch them :-)
    Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Ode to Sometimes Healthy Dad

I’m from Tennessee, and I was SO proud that our girl got 1st runner up (she only lives about 30 miles away from me). You can imagine how we were all rooting for her. I like pageants, but I think it’s important to remember that all these girls have been in preparation for practically their whole lives.

it also seems that if watching pageants damages your self-confidence, you really weren’t confident enough to begin with. We all have different body types, and should learn to embrace them. There are beautiful, thin girls everywhere! On that note, I do think California looked awfully thin. I do have friends that are naturally tiny, though.

Courtney, you look absolutely gorgeous in the pageant pics! The swimsuit pic looks phenomenal!
    Jodi recently posted..Bling it OUT…comfortably

I have to say I cannot stomach pageants! They’re so fake and ridiculous. I know many beautiful, smart and genuinely giving girls who don’t have to parade around in a bikini to prove their worth.. I don’t need a superficial contest to tell me who to admire!
    Mandee recently posted..Hostess Cupcake Homecoming

I’m kind of torn on my feelings for pageants. I’ve never really thought much of them, but this year I actually knew one of the girls who competed in Miss USA (Miss Arizona). She is a very smart, well spoken woman, and she completely changed my opinion on pageants. She had to remove herself from school to spend the year visiting and promoting different charities across the nation.. THAT part of pageants is pretty fantastic

• Courtney says

I agree…there are parts of it that can definitely provide some amazing opportunities to promote change for the better!

When I was younger I really wanted to look like these girls. Now I realize 1) That I am about a foot too short and 2) I love being healthy and indulging every once ina while ;)!

I must say, I am totally depressed that you said it was a “beautiful Monday morning”. There are about 50mph winds, pouring rain, 50 degree weather… and I have an exam tonight! Boo!
    Niki (Life’s a Payne) recently posted..A change of pace!

I think pageants are kind of fun to watch. I love seeing the dresses and some of the talents that are performed like the dancing and piano playing especially. I really liked California and Tennessee’s dresses this year! The extreme skinniness factor that some of the ladies possess worries me, especially because so many little girls are watching. This is something that had quite an effect on my life for a long time by falling into the comparison trap.
    Abby recently posted..Something New

18. Lauren says

HELP!

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH ARE THE HEALTHIEST OATS TO EAT??

Are they steel cut, old fashioned, or what? I don’t care about taste — I’m trying to lose weight so I want the HEALTHIEST option? I’m about to run to the grocery store and I am totally clueless!

Thanks!

So, I grew up just outside of Atlantic City- the former home of the Miss America Pageant. I used to watch the Miss America pageant EVERY year and wanted to be one of the Misses. We had Miss America-themed sleepovers, I went to see the girls as they came in off the train (and I got autographs too!), and I was always watching the parade, or in high school, our band marched in it…Um too much?! Am I a nerd?
    Steph @321delish recently posted..June Eating Club at 901

20. Shayla says

Loved your insight on this Courtney. I too feel that some of the girls are just waaaay too thin and unhealthy looking. I even thought (though she won and is absolutely gorgeous) Ms. California looked too skinny….and I agree with you in that I loved how muscular, toned, and healthy Ms. Alabama looked. I personally enjoy watching pageants to see the beautiful gowns, but it’s sometimes hard for me to watch those girls that are too skinny…I think it sends a wrong message to all the young girls out there and how it’s negatively influencing them.

Some can be good..or at least motivation to really make yourself healthy and work on muscles rather than skin and bones. But for the most part, the girls are striving to be model-thin and honestly, I don’t think esculating the fact women already compare and compete with each other to look the best is the greatest thing, but to each her own.

I totally got sucked in too! I fell in love with Miss California’s dress! I am so glad you posted some of your pageant pictures, I wanted to ask you, but thought it would be weird. lol I just like this kinda girly stuff!:) lol
    Gigi recently posted..Im still alive!

I just updated my blog on Miss USA> I didn’t hash into too much detail. I agree the girls are soo skinny, but on that stage in that environment that’s what they are looking for. I’m more upset about the total influx of plastic surgery. There were maybe 50% of the girls with nose jobs it looked like! But overall I felt the girls this year were more intelligent than in the past. I guess Rima’s stripper contest pics helped the judges make better decisions this year.
    Carissa recently posted..Champions Mud Bash

I posted on the pageant this morning too. You had a much healthier reaction than I did that’s for sure. It left me wanting to either go run a bazillion miles on the treadmill or give up and eat a box of doughnuts. Obviously neither of those options are healthy…what can I say it struck a nerve!
    Kelly recently posted..miss usa beat me

• Courtney says

I just read your post, actually, and commented on it. Just remember Kel, you are a strong, beautiful woman!! :)

25. Amy says

I agree that most of the girls are way too thin. personally I could never do it because recovering from an eating disorder is still hard for me every day but that pressure would probably be the death of me. i did like Miss alabama she looked good. I hate to see the girls so thin though cause I think of the young girls watching and think thats how they need to look to feel accepted and pretty. I know with me i get slack all the time for being too thin and thats hard.

I remember growing up a group of friends and I would get together every year to watch it. I would say it was similar to watching the red carpet at an awards show. You get to see gorgeous dresses–and you get a good laugh in when you hear their responses to the interview questions. hilarious. Anyway, haven’t seen it in probably ten years. I wonder if it’s any different…
    elizabeth @ the good life recently posted..Happy Fathers Day

Wow! What a crazy, fun fact about you! I have mixed feelings about the pageants,I think my negative feelings generally come from the unhealthy habits some of those women undertake and those girls that are kind of forced into it at a young age. I don’t know a ton about this stuff, but I can definitely get sucked in too.
    Mac recently posted..Fathers Day Weekend was a Success

oh boy I feel like I’ve kinda been over-commenting on your blog lately but seriously, have you ever seen Toddlers and Tiaras on TLC? Talk about wack jobs!!! They are insane, to say the least. I’m sure there are some very genuine pageant girls out there, but it’s just kind of a silly idea. I mean what’s the point? Who’s the prettiest? It’s such a harsh world out there :/

I watched the pageant too! And while I hate to assume things, some of the girls didn’t seem too bright based off their answers to the question and answers. Some of them totally BSed them and went totally around the actually question! I think most pageants are based solely on looks, which in my opinion is not important when judging a person. It should be based solely on character!