Celebrating Summer…Foodie Style

by Courtney on June 21, 2011

Seeing as today is the official first day of summer (wahooo!) I figured that it would be the perfect day to have one of my favorite summertime combinations:

Tomato, Mozzarella, & Basil

Everything about this meal was completely top notch, starting from the bottom up.

Yesterday at the grocery store, this package of Arnold Artisan Ovens Multi-Grain Flatbreads immediately caught my eye. Since they were on sale, and the nutrition stats didn’t look bad, I decided to pick up a package.

(I actually filled one last night with PB&J before my softball game!)

I then sliced up a small tomato and some fresh mozzarella that I picked up yesterday (again, on sale…I’m a sucker for a bargain) and placed them on top of the flatbread.

I’m sure that combo right there would have been incredible on it’s own, but I also had a few other items on hand to help in the flavor department.

First, I spritzed the top with some of this Sonoma Harvest Roasted Garlic Spritzer that I ended up spotting a couple weeks ago at Marshalls.

IMG_4826IMG_4827

It was a total impulse buy, but I absolutely LOVE it.

Next, I sprinkled the top with some of this Woody’s Gourmet Black Truffle & Fresh Thyme Herb Sea Salt that I received last month in my Foodzie Tasting Box. Talk about flavor!

Then, I popped my flatbread into the toaster oven to broil for about 5-6 minutes, until the cheese started to slightly melt. Once I took it out of the oven, I sprinkled the top with some fresh cut basil leaves and dug right in.

Holy DELICIOUS! I think I could most definitely eat this every day for the rest of my life and be totally ok with it. It was so good and had summer written allll over it!

On the side, I had some carrot sticks and a few unphotograped handfuls of s’mores popcorn. Winking smile

Now this is what I call summer.

Yummmm.

*******

Thanks to everyone for your words of wisdom on how to deal with anxiousness and nervousness. You’re all, umm, pretty super awesome.

My tummy knot is still there, but I guess it’s slightly loosening. As many of you said, in a few hours from now, it really won’t matter. It’s just the anticipation leading up to it that’s a killer…

And since I never ended up grabbing my Bailey’s this morning, perhaps a glass of wine this afternoon will be in order? Winking smile

Question for the Afternoon:

What are some of your favorite summertime meals?

1 Lisa @ I'm an Okie June 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Looks simple and delish!

2 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Wow that looks so good! And I always love melty mozz :)

In the summer, nothing is better than a deliciously loaded salad!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..CityScapes

3 Krissie J June 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Favorite summertime food: fresh spinach with bacon, feta, & italian style dressing. Simple and delicious.

The TBM melt looks good! I’ll have to make it for the bf sometime (I’m not over the consistency of big tomatoes… yet). ;)
Krissie J recently posted..Beachy Weekend

4 ellalinea June 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm

ooooh Courtney, that looks delish!! How come we don’t have cool flatbreads like that in the store ? ;)

Favorite summertime foods: Icecream/ fresh fruit –> especially pineapple, strawberries and blueberries/ salads with goatcheese and apple/ sushi ( I could eat this anytime really ;) )
ellalinea recently posted..Off to the fair!

5 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm

You read my mind. Tomatoes and basil is on the menu tonight. It’s the epitome of summer for me :)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Bloggers Greek festival

6 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 21, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I love a good summer time salad with fresh berries, mango, papaya and poppyseed dressing. Panera used to have a great summery salad but since they don’t have one in NYC, I’m not sure if they still do. I’ll check it out when I’m back home in July!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Everyone Needs a Theme Song

7 Brittany June 21, 2011 at 2:10 pm

That looks sooooo good.

One of my favorites is my mom’s bean dip. It’s not the healthiest recipe–its made with an entire bottle of italian dressing–but its crisp, refreshing, and delicious. Just what summer should be!

8 Emily June 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Your “pizza” looks great! Summertime for me = corn on the cob, tomatoes, berries, burgers…anything on the grill :) Popsicles!

9 Lindsay June 21, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Yum that looks good! Summertime staples- corn on the cob, burgers, ice cream (duh), crisp salads :) Oh, and I was totally inspired by your granola post yesterday, so I made some today! It was fabulous!

10 Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife June 21, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Wow, I didn’t even know today was the official beginning of summer! Tomato, basil, and mozzarella totally scream summer to me too. I think my favorite summertime meal is BBQ with grilled corn and baked beans!
Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife recently posted..Fresh Blackberry Jam

11 Gloria June 21, 2011 at 2:28 pm

That. Looks. Amazing! I used to work at a restaurant that had “caprese” paninis/salads, which includes the combo you used (tomato, basil, and mozzarella). So delicious.

As far as summer meals…I love portobello burgers (we just spray portobello caps with non-stick spray, add some seasoning, and throw them on the grill), grilled salmon (actually, anything grilled), and fresh salads. Yum!
Gloria recently posted..Inspired

12 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 21, 2011 at 2:31 pm

One of my favorite combos too – I had two caprese salads this past weekend!

13 Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique June 21, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Yum! That looks so tasty! :)
Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique recently posted..Day Dreaming

14 Niki (Life's a Payne) June 21, 2011 at 2:33 pm

That pizza looks so simple and delicious! Great job!
Niki (Life’s a Payne) recently posted..First day of summer!

15 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 21, 2011 at 2:37 pm

That looks so great! I love portobello mushrooms on the grill in the summer time. They’re my favorite!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..crazy day at the vegan cafe

16 Lindsey June 21, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Salads and smoothies! And anything on the BBQ for supper along with my favorite Avocado, Black Bean & Cilantro Quinoa Salad.
Lindsey recently posted..This Is How I Roll

17 Courtney June 21, 2011 at 4:20 pm

That salad sounds delicious!!

18 Cait @ Urban Fencepost June 21, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Tomato, basil, and mozzarella is the best combo of flavors ever. And I’m pretty sure I would spray that Roasted Garlic spritzer on everything! My favorite summertime meals are grilled – corn on the cob, veggie burgers, grilled pineapple.

19 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 21, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I really think I could the combination of mozzarella and tomatoes every day and never get sick of it. So refreshing!
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Weekend and a Winner

20 Cynthia (It All Changes) June 21, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Flat bread pizza is so fun and the combination are endless. I love to grill summer squash and onions the add with olive oil and basil…oh and cheese if you aren’t lactose intolerant :-)

21 Erica June 21, 2011 at 4:18 pm

That looks so good! Anything off the grill screams “summer” to me!
Erica recently posted..First Post!

22 Alexa @ Simple Eats June 21, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I love mozz/tom/basil combo…it really screams summer! I’ll have to try those flatbreads!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Don’t Be Alarmed

23 Danica June 21, 2011 at 5:34 pm

That pizza looks amazing! I’ll definitely have to try that out….
I just love all the fresh fruit available during the summertime, plus I’m always willing to have a grilled burger-YUM!

24 Abby June 21, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I love making fresh salsa and guacamole to put over whatever the meal is that day. lol. :)
Abby recently posted..Sleepy but Speedy

25 Kristen @ The Red Velvet Life June 21, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Looks delicious!! I definitely have to try this. My husband [of Italian heritage] will be super happy :)
Kristen @ The Red Velvet Life recently posted..New Kitchen

26 Stephanie @cookinfanatic June 21, 2011 at 9:50 pm

oooo i’m so going to be on the hunt for that roasted garlic oil spritzer, what a fabulous find!!!!

27 Sarah June 21, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Ughhh I have a mouth allergy to tomatoes :( otherwise I’d eat this all day, too! And isn’t Marshall’s great?? Such random things…

28 Khushboo June 21, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Melted mozarella is the best! Ooey, gooey deliciousness! I LOVE fruit parfaits in the summers…so refreshing…and you can’t beat food off the grill either!
Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

29 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 22, 2011 at 9:51 am

Summertime meals are the kind I like (I’ll steal your honey like I stole your bike… LFO, anyone?)

I love any meal that can be complimented with fruit in the summer. Also, I find myself digging bruschetta so much more in the summertime!
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Six Pack Sunday

30 Tara June 22, 2011 at 10:23 am

looks delicious!!

31 Laura @ Cookies vs. Carrots June 23, 2011 at 11:20 am

This looks so yummy, and perfect for summer!

32 elsaden August 24, 2011 at 3:11 am

I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. I will bookmark

your blog and have my children check up here often. I am quite sure they will

learn lots of new stuff here than anybody else!