A Love/Hate Relationship

by Courtney on June 22, 2011

It’s really no secret…I’m an indecisive person.

Always have been. Always will be.

Ask my parents or Jay…they’ll clue you right in to all of my annoying endearing antics.

Mostly, the indecisiveness tends to rear its ugly face when it comes time to make myself food…specifically, lunch.

I guess you could say I have sort of a love/hate relationship with lunch. Sure, I can come up with some winning combos, but really…should I continue and have more of my favorite breakfast foods? How about a sandwich? A big ‘ol salad? Yogurt mess? Smoothie?

IMG_3960IMG_3348IMG_3610IMG_3722

Ughh…it’s tiring!

Today was one of those days where I wanted anything and everything. Sweet, savory, salty, crunchy…you name it.

So what did I do? I went for it!

Ever since I had the Wasa crackers on Monday, I’ve been hankering to try some new combinations ever since. Some of you guys gave some awesome ideas (like Gloria, Gina, Emily, Shayla, Shana and so many more!)  but unfortunately, I’ll have to wait to try many of them until I make another trip to the store.

So using what I had, I went to work on my plate. Along with some extra carrots,

today’s sampler plate included 4 combos (2 old, 2 new-ish):

Hommus + cucumber slices + fresh basil

Almond butter + white nectarine slices + chia seeds

Fresh mozzarella + tomato slices + fresh basil (look familiar at all?) Winking smile

And for “dessert,” The Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese + Fruit Salsa

(FYI: I actually liked the fruit salsa with the cheese a LOT better than with the Chobani!)

Wow wow wow. Everything about this meal was just what I would have hoped; filling, delicious, and totally satisfying. I’m pretty sure I conquered every craving I was having.

Now only if I had some fresh baked cookies on hand… Winking smile

*******

Question for the Afternoon:

What is your least favorite meal of the day and why?

1 Hope June 22, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Your lunch looks so pretty! :) My least favorite meal of the day would have to be lunch. I always have the worst time trying to figure out what to eat especially during the week for work. It’s easier on the weekends.

2 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 22, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I love lunches like that. And, I feel the same way about the meal, indecisiveness totally takes over at lunchtime. I need to get some of these crackers so I can try my suggestion :)

3 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 22, 2011 at 1:34 pm

My least favorite meal of the day is probably lunch during weekend days, just because sometimes I forget about it, or sometimes just don’t care enough to do serious work on it! However, during the weekDAYS, I love to pack a tasty lunch and am so excited to eat it by the time noon rolls around!

4 Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique June 22, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I love lunches that include a little of everything. This is why I wish I worked from home. :)

5 Claire June 22, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Courtney! This all looks BOMB! Thanks for the idea and I now know what Friday’s lunch may possibly look like on my plate! I was in the same boat today with sweet, savory, salty, creamy, crunchy…I wanted everything! I am not sure I am 100% satisfied…but I am trying to munch my way through it!! Hehe.

6 Cait @ UrbanFencepost June 22, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Lunch is probably my least favorite meal too. Your lunch looks awesome. That is my favorite way to eat, a little of everything. I hate just having one thing, like a big bowl of pasta. I need variety. Do you like tapas?

7 Courtney June 22, 2011 at 1:45 pm

LOVE tapas! I wish there were more restaurants around me that offered them…

8 faith @ lovelyascharged June 22, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I guess if I had to pick a least favorite it would have. To be lunch, only because its usually a boring thrown-together sandwich and I almost always eat it at my desk. I’d have breakfast every meal of the day if I could!

9 Krissie J June 22, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I’m with you on lunch. It’s such a process for me to plan it out, especially when I don’t have leftovers. I’m also a sleepy mess first thing in the AM and prepping a lunch at that time could be dangerous. I guess I could prep the night before, but some stuff would get soggy. Weekends lunch is no problemo, though, mostly because I am well rested by then, haha.

10 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 22, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I don’t really have a most hated meal of the day, since I LOVE all meals, and anytime that I can eat food ;) But my favorite is definitely breakfast!

Mmm all of those combos sound delicious, especially the nectarine and nut butter!

11 Abby June 22, 2011 at 1:47 pm

My least favorite meal of the day is lunch! I am super indecisive as well!

12 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 22, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Ooh, the nectarine/almond butter combo sounds heavenly.

Lunch is my least favorite meal of the day. I feel like I always have something random and un-planned. I work from 9-2 (then freelance in the afternoon), so by the time I get home – it’s an odd time to have a big lunch when I know dinner isn’t too far away.

13 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign June 22, 2011 at 1:51 pm

For me, the least favorite would probably be dinner since I’m so tired by the time I get home from work. It usually ends up being leftovers or cereal.

14 Candice June 22, 2011 at 1:53 pm

So creative! I did the same sort of thing with triscuts the other day.. I love those wasa crackers as well! look so good!
I hate planning dinner… never sure if the hubs will make it home or not!

15 Haley Q June 22, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I’m with you on lunch! My taste buds are seriously confused when lunch time rolls around, so I usually settle for something sweet and something salty so I’m not rushing back to the kitchen 30 minutes later. Honestly there aren’t many “lunchy” foods, and sandwiches get old quick, so it’s always a toss up for me too!

16 Emily June 22, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I love love love that you had FOUR different combos today for lunch! That’s my kind of snack plate. I’d have to say my snack is the hardest. I usually try to go for what I’ve lacked all day…nut butter, fruit or yogurt or a whole grain and then build it around that. My snack is what makes the afternoon seem a littttttle better.

17 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries June 22, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I hate lunch! I like eating it, but I hate planning/packing/making it. If I ran the world, I eat breakfast all everyday.

18 Chocolate, Cheese and Wine June 22, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Least favorite meal – Dinner! Unless I am going out or know what I want. Otherwise, I end up snacking and eating WAY TOO MUCH!

19 Lauren @ Hungry Dancer June 22, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Love the cracker combos!! YUM!! Lunch is definitely my least favorite meal, it’s in the middle of the day and I have to pack it for work so it’s never that great!

20 Lee @ in the pink of condition June 22, 2011 at 2:34 pm

My least favorite meal of the day is definitely lunch. Breakfast foods are my favorite, and I LOVE going out to dinner. Lunch always makes me feel tired about 30 minutes later, which is exactly when I need an energy boost during the day! I try to eat a light lunch and little snacks during the day instead.

21 Sana June 22, 2011 at 2:34 pm

That looks reallly good! Lunch is always at a weird time for me, I am usually in the middle of something and have to rush to get something put together!

22 courtney @ cupcakedynamite June 22, 2011 at 2:35 pm

that lunch looks amazing! I love little samplers. I’m so indecisive, too! It must be a Courtney thing. ;)

23 @ThisLittleLambe June 22, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Your photos are amazing. Have you ever thought about being a food photographer? Even on the side?

My least fave meal is dinner because it’s stressful to rush home and have it ready in time. And me and my guy have completely different dietary needs so we usually have two completely different meals!

Plus I’m a sweets girl, and it never feels right to go sweet over savoury for dinner…

24 Erica June 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm

The sampler plate looks great! My least favorite meal of the day is lunch. I think it’s easiest to get in a “rut” with lunch foods!

25 Sarah June 22, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Food choices and restaurant choices are two of my most irritating qualities! Haha I just always want it to be the best… I get nervous that my choices won’t be delicious so I end up putting way too much effort into picking.

26 ellalinea June 22, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Oooh what a great idea!! I always have the same problem.. If I have a salad for dinner then afterwards I want something sweet..

I think dinner is my least favorite part of the day because it’s supposed to be savoury and I’m all for sweets.. Breakfast is my nr 1 fav meal of the day..

Well dinner doesn’t always have to be savoury.. I just had chocolate protein oats for dinner ;)

27 Katherine June 22, 2011 at 3:21 pm

You sound like me when it comes to lunch. I can never make a decision. I want it all :) sweet, savory, creamy, crunchy, etc, etc :P

28 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life June 22, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I agree that lunch is my least fav meal of the day. I never know what to make and lots of times end up just snacking on random things instead of having a proper meal.
Your little sandwiches look super delish.

29 Audrey June 22, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Lunch. Sorry, but I always jut want breakfast Round 2 for lunch and now that it’s officially summer and I am out of school for the next two months (BARELY! I graduated HS just this weekend! and start college on August 27th) I have a feeing I’l be making a lot of Round 2s for lunch, like today :) Plus I have a LOT of freetime (the upside of not having a job), so I can spend a lot of time in the kitchen making meals, which I like!

30 Courtney June 22, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Congratulations on graduating from HS!! :)

31 Audrey June 22, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Thanks! I’m going to a college in Massachusetts, but I’ve never lived anywhere but sunny Cali before, so this will be interesting ;)

32 Shayla June 22, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Thanks for the shout out Courtney!! I thought you might like some of my suggestions heeehee….I’m a true sweet and savory fan just like you ;) I’m also very decisive and I have to say lunch is my least favorite meal….I never know what I feel like and it’s always pretty boring….although now that I’m starting a blog I better spice ‘em up ;)

33 Jillian @ sprinkle massacre June 22, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Too funny, you and I have a lot in common. I’m always hodge-podging my plate up because I cannot make decisions for the life of me. I pretty much force my boyfriend to just order a bunch of stuff on the menu and split it or else I spend my meal thinking about what else I could have gotten, lol. As for my least favorite meal of the day….it doesn’t exist!!! :)

34 emma green June 22, 2011 at 4:38 pm

i absolutely love this lunch idea! i’m not into lunch really….unless it’s the weekend and i’m in a little cafe with my man……aaaahhh…:-)

35 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 22, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Oh wow – it’s so hard to pick a least fave meal of the day because I love to eat so much! I love breakfast foods more than anything in the world so I can’t say that. I love lunch because I usually have a giant fun salad. Now dinner? That’s a doozey. By then, I’m usually exhausted and not in the right frame of mind to plan a cohesive meal. Good thing I live by 16 Handles. Fro yo is my solution to dinner dilemmas ;-)

36 Erica June 22, 2011 at 5:04 pm

i love breakfast the most.
lunch is my least favorite…unless it’s brunch ;p

i love dinner too…lunch is good only when you have killer leftovers;p

37 cait June 22, 2011 at 5:21 pm

crazy but i hate breakfast- idk why but i just want to get up and GO in the morning so i tend to just have a bar or something quick when i’m running out the door..oops!

38 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) June 22, 2011 at 5:22 pm

What a fantastic idea for lunch! :)

I eat roughly the same thing for lunch everyday & weirdly enough, I don’t get sick of it. I always rotate my breakfasts & dinner though!

39 Erin @ Naturally Addicted June 22, 2011 at 5:45 pm

This lunch sounds like my lunches!! I can never make up my mind as to what I want for lunch. Breakfast and dinner are by far my favorite meals… lunch not so much. Recently, I’ve been on a smoothie kick so I’ve been doing a lot of breakfast round 2s!!

40 Lee @ Fit Foodie Finds June 22, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I love this! My least favorite meal is lunch and dinner. I would totally eat breakfast for every single meal if I could. AKA I’d eat the exact same dish = OATMEAL with a nanner and pb :)

41 Lauren June 22, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Hi! I saw your vlog on make up and it was really great and informative. I wondered if you might want to do a post on any tips you have for fashion/style/beauty. You always look so “put together”, especially since you said you were in beauty pageants. Thanks!

42 Niki (Life's a Payne) June 22, 2011 at 6:17 pm

This post made me so hungry! I love food like that when I am watching a movie at night!

Great ideas!

43 Mac June 22, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I think lunch is, just because it is normally something incredibly simple (which isn’t always bad), but I love more elaborate meals that are for dinner :)

44 Gloria June 22, 2011 at 6:37 pm

They all look delicious, especially the hummus and cucumber, and the laughing cow cheese and fruit salsa!

I would probably say lunch…for the same reason you mentioned. I never know what to eat! Maybe I need to mix it up and get a little of everything like you…then I’d be more satisfied!

45 Shana June 22, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Most of my meals are “snacky.” I love food you can eat a little bit at a time. And thank you for the tag!!

46 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 22, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I’ve totally wrote a post about how I’m a serious lunch hater. It’s so hard to decide what I want to eat.

47 Hannah June 22, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Looks delicious!
I am the SAME way! exactly! My boyfriend Hates that I cannot make a decision.. and when I was younger my mom did not let me say I don’t know! Its not that I dont know.. its that i cannot choose..!

48 Laura @ Cookies vs. Carrots June 22, 2011 at 11:07 pm

This is such a good idea for a quick meal!

49 Khushboo June 22, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Gosh you took the words right out of my head! I am always SO indecisive for lunch, it drives me nuts! I’ve sometimes taken 4-5 different things to work, a lil bit of everything to hit the craving(s)

50 Crista June 23, 2011 at 6:50 am

HA HA HA!!! That is what I call “ADD lunch” and I have one of those like once a week… my food attention span is only about 5 seconds long some days! Looks delicious :)

51 kristen June 23, 2011 at 1:11 pm

a great combo of sweet and salty! with lots of fruits and veggies.
My least favorite is dinner. Im usually so exhausted by then, and my family is REALLY picky!