Dinner with Cody and Grandpa Pete

I honestly can’t tell you the last time that we went through our typical dinner routine at the house. It’s been a while.

In fact, I don’t think that Cody has tried to play once at dinner since we got our “new” kitchen table; that is, until tonight.

Before even lifting my fork, I heard the drop of his milk jug tab, and this little face staring back at me.

And since we’re total suckers, we put dinner on hold for five minutes to play some fetch. I mean, could you really say no to this face?

He put on a good show, as usual

IMG_4889IMG_4890

…and then we called it quits…couldn’t let dinner get cold!

When it came time to make dinner tonight, I definitely was not indecisive. I knew there was one thing I was just NOT in the mood for: veggies. I don’t know why, but I just was not feelin’ them tonight.

There was one thing, however, that I was totally feelin’: carbs. And lots of ‘em!

I wound up with a real sudden urge for Italian tonight, so I nixed my original plan and went with what I was feeling. The salmon will just have to wait; and Jay didn’t mind in the least…he’s actually hoping it magically disappears. Winking smile

Instead, I cooked myself up a bowl of Carba Nada noodles and topped them off with some Grandpa Pete’s Garlic Sauce.

I know I’ve said it before, but if I’m not eating my own homemade sauce, Grandpa Pete’s is by far my favorite. Tonight was our first time trying the Garlic Sauce and I immediately fell in love. It’s chunky and full of garlic flavor…aka, I’ll be it would be amazing as a bruschetta topping.

SO SO good!

Since I wasn’t the only one craving carbs tonight, Jay ended up putting together some more of ‘em.

This time, in the form of two toasted Arnold Artisan Ovens Multi-Grain Flatbreads, topped with roasted garlic spray, parmesan and garlic seasoning, and some fresh mozzarella slices, which were then broiled quickly to get all melty.

I was only planning on eating half of one, but umm…

…they were pretty darn fantastic, so that idea went right out the window with the first bite.

I’m glad I saved the salmon for tomorrow…this meal really hit the spot.

*******

Jay and I were planning on going out to run a few errands, but it’s raining cats and dogs and we’re both feeling a little lazy, so it looks like a relaxing evening in for us!

Question for the Evening:

Do you plan meals far in advance? If you do, do you ever change your plans depending on what you’re really craving?

Comments

I do and I don’t. In the mornings i make a mental note of what i have in the fridge and go from there. I could be set on one meal and then get inspired by something I saw on TV or on a blog and then change my mind. I’m pretty sure my thought process is the epitome of indecisive!

I always honor my cravings! Even if that means eating no veggies, peanut butter off of a spoon, or an entire bar of chocolate. I do what I can to make the world a happier place – and it’s a happier place if I eat what I like. :)

Spaghetti looks so awesome right now!

mmmmm I am never one to turn down a carb craving. Pretty sure that will be my dinner tonight. And that is how far I plan my meals in advance. Not at all ;-) I pretty much plan dinner by what looks good at the grocery store or on someone else’s blog that I read 2 minutes before. Sometimes I plan my meal ahead of time, but only when it’s blog-related. That is one reason blogging has been good for me! It forces me to get it together and prepare balanced meals every now and then.

I always plan my meals in advance because it’s make grocery shopping a breeze. However, I remain flexible during the week because cravings pop up, as well as random activities/work stuff. Basically I plan a week’s worth of meals and decide the day-of what I feel like making – it works!

I like to have an idea of what I want for supper, like pasta! But I don’t like planning to down exactly. My mood changes far too fast and I will not feel satisfied if I eat something I don’t really want.

I like to have a general idea at the beginning of the week but if I am craving something different I will make it if I have the stuff on hand!

I plan our suppers weekly just so that I know what to buy and because I crack under pressure and am indecisive ;) haha. But if either me or the hubby really aren’t feeling the planned supper its no biggie and we swap it out!

That flatbread looks soo good!

I love Grandpa Pete’s sauce! Your dinner just made my mouth water; it looked so good!

I usually plan out my meals for the week every Sunday so I can go through the coupons and grocery store ads and make my shopping list all at once. It also keeps me more on track with eating right. I definitely switch it up as the week goes on though to accommodate last minute plans and cravings. :D

Seriously every time I attempt to plan a meal in advance, I end up wanting to change my mind later. It’s especially crappy when I cook dinner for friends or family and then don’t crave the dinner I’ve made… I’m so weird!!

I try to plan my meals in advance for the most part, but sometimes my plans backfire. If something I planned out isn’t appealing to me on a given night, I’m not going to force myself to eat it. Instead, I try to have ingredients for a few quick and easy meals on hand. Pasta and tomato sauce is definitely a favorite!

I used to plan ahead all the time but now I just go with what I’m feeling! I enjoy my meals way more this way, although I do still have a lunch plan as I pack it for work so I can’t really go with instant cravings! The flatbreads have totally spurred a craving for mozzarella!

Oh my gosh that meal looks amazing – so so good. I much prefer going with what I am hankering for rather than eating something just because I had “planned” to. Which is I just make sure that I have a variety of healthy staples on hand in the cupboards/fridge/freezer and then go from there. I actually tend to find it a bit stressful planning ahead for the week, day-by-day, what we are going to have for dinner…I’m not sure why, but for me it feels a bit too controlling and regimented. I go with my gut…literally, lol! ;-) xyx

That sauce looks amazing!

I don’t usually plan meals because I never really know what I want to eat until I get home! I do always try to have a variety of food in the house though so that I am able to come up with something healthy and delicious on the fly.

Dinner looks amazing! I definitely need to find that flatbread! Where did you find it? I hope the stores around here sell it! ;)

Trackbacks