Dinner with Cody and Grandpa Pete

by Courtney on June 22, 2011

I honestly can’t tell you the last time that we went through our typical dinner routine at the house. It’s been a while.

In fact, I don’t think that Cody has tried to play once at dinner since we got our “new” kitchen table; that is, until tonight.

Before even lifting my fork, I heard the drop of his milk jug tab, and this little face staring back at me.

And since we’re total suckers, we put dinner on hold for five minutes to play some fetch. I mean, could you really say no to this face?

He put on a good show, as usual

IMG_4889IMG_4890

…and then we called it quits…couldn’t let dinner get cold!

When it came time to make dinner tonight, I definitely was not indecisive. I knew there was one thing I was just NOT in the mood for: veggies. I don’t know why, but I just was not feelin’ them tonight.

There was one thing, however, that I was totally feelin’: carbs. And lots of ‘em!

I wound up with a real sudden urge for Italian tonight, so I nixed my original plan and went with what I was feeling. The salmon will just have to wait; and Jay didn’t mind in the least…he’s actually hoping it magically disappears. Winking smile

Instead, I cooked myself up a bowl of Carba Nada noodles and topped them off with some Grandpa Pete’s Garlic Sauce.

I know I’ve said it before, but if I’m not eating my own homemade sauce, Grandpa Pete’s is by far my favorite. Tonight was our first time trying the Garlic Sauce and I immediately fell in love. It’s chunky and full of garlic flavor…aka, I’ll be it would be amazing as a bruschetta topping.

SO SO good!

Since I wasn’t the only one craving carbs tonight, Jay ended up putting together some more of ‘em.

This time, in the form of two toasted Arnold Artisan Ovens Multi-Grain Flatbreads, topped with roasted garlic spray, parmesan and garlic seasoning, and some fresh mozzarella slices, which were then broiled quickly to get all melty.

I was only planning on eating half of one, but umm…

…they were pretty darn fantastic, so that idea went right out the window with the first bite.

I’m glad I saved the salmon for tomorrow…this meal really hit the spot.

*******

Jay and I were planning on going out to run a few errands, but it’s raining cats and dogs and we’re both feeling a little lazy, so it looks like a relaxing evening in for us!

Question for the Evening:

Do you plan meals far in advance? If you do, do you ever change your plans depending on what you’re really craving?

1 cait June 22, 2011 at 7:15 pm

yuuuuummmmyyy!!

2 Andrea @ Onion in My Hair June 22, 2011 at 7:17 pm

As a all-time cat lover, let me just officially say I love the pics of Cody.

Keep ‘em coming!

3 Lee @ Fit Foodie Finds June 22, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I do and I don’t. In the mornings i make a mental note of what i have in the fridge and go from there. I could be set on one meal and then get inspired by something I saw on TV or on a blog and then change my mind. I’m pretty sure my thought process is the epitome of indecisive!

4 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries June 22, 2011 at 7:19 pm

We’ve been AWFUL at meal planning lately! I hate it because I get so frazzled when I get hungry and there is no plan. And when I’m hungry, planning is the LAST thing I want to do.

5 Courtney June 22, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Girl, I hear ya!

6 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 22, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I always honor my cravings! Even if that means eating no veggies, peanut butter off of a spoon, or an entire bar of chocolate. I do what I can to make the world a happier place – and it’s a happier place if I eat what I like. :)

Spaghetti looks so awesome right now!

7 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 22, 2011 at 7:24 pm

mmmmm I am never one to turn down a carb craving. Pretty sure that will be my dinner tonight. And that is how far I plan my meals in advance. Not at all ;-) I pretty much plan dinner by what looks good at the grocery store or on someone else’s blog that I read 2 minutes before. Sometimes I plan my meal ahead of time, but only when it’s blog-related. That is one reason blogging has been good for me! It forces me to get it together and prepare balanced meals every now and then.

8 Courtney June 22, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Totally true! Blogging has changed my accountability for eating so much!

9 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 22, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I always plan my meals in advance because it’s make grocery shopping a breeze. However, I remain flexible during the week because cravings pop up, as well as random activities/work stuff. Basically I plan a week’s worth of meals and decide the day-of what I feel like making – it works!

10 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 22, 2011 at 7:30 pm

When I start cooking dinner for my fiance & I more regularly, I’m sure I’ll try to plan ahead. I do think it’s important to eat what you crave though, so I won’t “force” myself to stick to a meal plan!

11 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health June 22, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Woot woot, I got my site set up…thank you for the advice! That dinner looks super yummy, where do you find the carba nada noodles? I’ve never seen them anywhere!

12 Courtney June 22, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I think I ended up finding them at The Fresh Market?? It might say in the post that I linked to…?

13 Niki (Life's a Payne) June 22, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I like to have an idea of what I want for supper, like pasta! But I don’t like planning to down exactly. My mood changes far too fast and I will not feel satisfied if I eat something I don’t really want.

14 Abby June 22, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I like to have a general idea at the beginning of the week but if I am craving something different I will make it if I have the stuff on hand!

15 Lindsey June 22, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I plan our suppers weekly just so that I know what to buy and because I crack under pressure and am indecisive ;) haha. But if either me or the hubby really aren’t feeling the planned supper its no biggie and we swap it out!

That flatbread looks soo good!

16 Kate June 22, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I love Grandpa Pete’s sauce! Your dinner just made my mouth water; it looked so good!

I usually plan out my meals for the week every Sunday so I can go through the coupons and grocery store ads and make my shopping list all at once. It also keeps me more on track with eating right. I definitely switch it up as the week goes on though to accommodate last minute plans and cravings. :D

17 Sarah June 22, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Seriously every time I attempt to plan a meal in advance, I end up wanting to change my mind later. It’s especially crappy when I cook dinner for friends or family and then don’t crave the dinner I’ve made… I’m so weird!!

18 Jessica @ brighteyesandbushytales June 22, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I’ve been really bad at meal planning lately too! But not planning sometimes allows me to go for what I’m really craving at the moment.

That sauce looks so so good. I might just have to have some shipped to Chicago!

19 Courtney June 22, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I would DEFINITELY recommend it!!!

20 Laura @ Cookies vs. Carrots June 22, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I try to plan my meals in advance for the most part, but sometimes my plans backfire. If something I planned out isn’t appealing to me on a given night, I’m not going to force myself to eat it. Instead, I try to have ingredients for a few quick and easy meals on hand. Pasta and tomato sauce is definitely a favorite!

21 Liz @ Something To Chew On June 22, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Oh. My. God.

That looks amaaaazing. I thought the pasta looked great, then scrolled and that bread hit me square in the face. I’m hungry again!

22 Khushboo June 22, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I used to plan ahead all the time but now I just go with what I’m feeling! I enjoy my meals way more this way, although I do still have a lunch plan as I pack it for work so I can’t really go with instant cravings! The flatbreads have totally spurred a craving for mozzarella!

23 Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers June 23, 2011 at 4:17 am

I usually only plan a meal in advance if it is something that will take quite a bit of preparation to make.

BTW: I just think Cody’s obsession with his milk jug tab is hilarious! :)

24 Yolie @ Practising Wellness June 23, 2011 at 7:24 am

Oh my gosh that meal looks amazing – so so good. I much prefer going with what I am hankering for rather than eating something just because I had “planned” to. Which is I just make sure that I have a variety of healthy staples on hand in the cupboards/fridge/freezer and then go from there. I actually tend to find it a bit stressful planning ahead for the week, day-by-day, what we are going to have for dinner…I’m not sure why, but for me it feels a bit too controlling and regimented. I go with my gut…literally, lol! ;-) xyx

25 Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza June 23, 2011 at 7:28 am

That sauce looks amazing!

I don’t usually plan meals because I never really know what I want to eat until I get home! I do always try to have a variety of food in the house though so that I am able to come up with something healthy and delicious on the fly.

26 Hope June 23, 2011 at 8:50 am

Dinner looks amazing! I definitely need to find that flatbread! Where did you find it? I hope the stores around here sell it! ;)

27 Janice June 23, 2011 at 10:51 am

Does anyone know where I can buy Carba Nada in Texas?? I really wanna give it a try!