Burger For Him, Salmon For Her

by Courtney on June 23, 2011

I often get asked whether or not Jay and I eat the same meals. Tonight was not one of those nights.

I’d say that probably 85% of the time, we will eat the same meals, or at least similar versions of the same meal. I can often vary my sources of protein at dinner, but hubby likes to have his meat. He’s not a beans kinda-guy.

Hubby is also not a huge fan of fish. I’ve gotten him to be okay with eating more mild, white fish like tilapia, and I’ve even been successful in getting him to enjoy marinated shrimp skewers.

But one thing he will not go anywhere near is salmon. He even goes as far as pinching Cody’s little nose because, you know, “he’s protecting him.”

I don’t often buy salmon for this reason; but also because I’m kinda-sorta terrified to cook it. Don’t ask me why, it just scares me.

I’m also kinda-sorta horrendous at cooking it. You should have seen me…and the rest of the grill…not pretty.

After the whole grilling ordeal, I guess I couldn’t blame hubby when I made one last attempt to lure him into trying it and he shot me down.

But despite my sticky troubles on the ‘ol grill, tonight’s dinner turned out to be quite the winner!

I’d been eyeballing a recipe for Grilled King Salmon with Tomato-Peach Salsa in my latest Cooking Light magazine, which I was originally planning on making last night.

I don’t know how well I did with cooking the salmon, but I will tell you that it really didn’t matter because this tomato-peach salsa was to-die-for. Even though I halved the amount of salmon called for in the recipe, I still made the full batch of salsa so I could have leftovers.

And so I could put some on a side salad with dinner. Smile

I’m really hoping I can get past my mental block with the whole salmon thing, because I think I could really get used to eating it more often. Unfortunately, hubby still isn’t going to touch it with a ten foot pole…

Hey, at least I tried!

Questions for the Evening:

Are there any foods you’re “afraid” to cook/prepare?

Do you and your S.O. eat similar foods?

1 Alicia June 23, 2011 at 7:08 pm

that looks great!!

2 Kori @Don'tKnowSquat June 23, 2011 at 7:10 pm

For the most part the boy and I love the same foods, especially salmon! However, he can eat things plain, while I always end up adding extra spices or hot sauce. He also eats a whole lot more than I do because, as he puts it “I lift thousands of pounds a week.”

Neither of us will go anywhere near grapefruit.

3 Lauren @ Hungry Dancer June 23, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Salmon is surprisingly easier then you would think! I have definitely been scared to try cooking certain foods! I was scared of spaghetti squash for the longest time!

4 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out June 23, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I think I’m afraid to grill anything besides vegetables. I let Adam handle it all. Luckily, he’ll cook my fish for me.

5 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 23, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I’m not afraid to cook anything, but I really don’t like handling ground beef. It makes me want to barf. But that salsa looks HEAVENLY!!!

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 23, 2011 at 7:23 pm

That salsa looks amazing! I love salmon but am terrified of grilling it b/c it always sticks to the grill and creates the biggest mess ever so even in the summer I bake or broil mine in the oven. So easy, greased sheet pan and 10 minutes later voila…perfect salmon :)

7 Val @ Balancing Val June 23, 2011 at 7:38 pm

We never eat the same foods, mostly because I dont like my food drowning in ketchup .. . blech!

8 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers June 23, 2011 at 7:42 pm

A lot of times, we do the same as it sounds like you and Jay do… similar versions of the same meal. Extra meaty protein for him, extra veggies for me, it all works out.

That being said, sometimes if I’m craving something that I know only I want, I’ll try to tell him early enough in the day that he has plenty of time to figure out his own meal, because hell hath no fury like a hungry Jordan.

9 Lisa @ I'm an Okie June 23, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I apologize, but I agree with the hubs. Can’t do the salmon.

10 Sarah June 23, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Make a little “tin foil tray” and coat it with some EVOO and yummy spices like dill and lemon pepper. Never sticks and still has amazing flavor!

11 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 23, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I have to side with Jay on this one – just not the biggest fan of fish. Although I’ve had some tilapia and mahi mahi that I’ve enjoyed…but I just don’t crave fish!

12 Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life June 23, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I am pretty much terrified of cooking any seafood, but the worst by far is shrimp. I usually get it way too done, and it’s tough and gross…not to mention flavorless. The one time I didn’t get it way too done, it was undercooked. BLEH. Veggies I will experiment with no-holds-barred, but not seafood.

Your salmon looks great to me!

13 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com June 23, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I could live off of salmon….yours looks AWESOME!! I LOVE your shirt by the way. I feel bad for Jay…a life without salmon!!!

14 Krissie J June 23, 2011 at 8:02 pm

When I worked at the seafood market, we’d grill the salmon by placing it on a sheet of foil. When the one side was done, you flip it onto another sheet to grill the other side. You don’t get the grill marks as much, but it keeps it from flaking apart. Lemon butter dill is probably my favorite salmon marinade.

Scott will eat anything I put in front of him. This makes experimenting VERY easy to do. :)

15 Silvia @ skinny jeans food June 23, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Love salmon and steelhead trout (taste and looks of salmon but lighter like a trout). If you brush the grill generously with some olive oil drizzled on a paper towel or rag before turning on the grill, the salmon won’t stick ;-)

16 Cait @ Urban Fencepost June 23, 2011 at 8:21 pm

We don’t eat very similarly at all. I’m a vegetarian and he’s not. I love veggies and he only likes a few. I like chocolate and he doesn’t (he’s crazy).

17 Taylor June 23, 2011 at 8:22 pm

You should use tin foil and coat it with some Pam or EVOO and use that to grill. That way, when the fish flakes it won’t fall through the grill or get stuck and fall apart! My grilling-man dad taught me that one!

18 Courtney June 23, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Haha…yes, hubby informed me of that after the fact as well ;)

19 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) June 23, 2011 at 8:22 pm

ahah yes! afraid to cook tofu.. i do it but not well!!! u look so pretty – my goodness i say this every single time i comment but ur defs the prettiest person i hav ever seen! anytho… no S.O fo me.. but if we refer to my friends.. then no! they are meat and dairy eaters!

20 Courtney June 23, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Carrie, you are too stinkin’ sweet! Thank you! :)

21 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health June 23, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Yum! I’m afraid to cook fish on my own because I’m afraid that I won’t get it done. I love sushi, but only from a reputable place haha. My S.O. and I eat pretty much the same things, except he is way more healthy than me….I need my treats :). Salmon is one of my favorite foods!!! I’ll be driving through upstate NY next week sometime I think (I’m going home to Ohio). I’ll be sure to think of you when I do!

22 Courtney June 23, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Awww FUN!! Let me know if you’re planning any stops! :)

23 Kelly June 23, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I am intimdated by tofu and any recipe that involves yeast!

24 Jessica @ brighteyesandbushytales June 23, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I was also super intimidated with salmon at first, and I have not tried to do it on the grill yet, because that reeeaaallly scares me! I gotta say yours looked really good tho! :)

My boyfriend and I eat the same dinner about 95% of the time, but maybe that’s because I do all the cooking, so he doesn’t have much choice! ;)

25 Juju June 23, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Your salmon dinner looks awesome! Don’t be so afraid with experimenting different ways of cooking it. I usually bake my salmon, another way can be in a foil packet!! =] Hope you enjoyed dinner!

26 Sarah June 23, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Salmon is my favorite fish, but my boyfriend is disinterested in any kind of seafood unless it is deep fried and battered. Oh well. PS.. aluminum foil works wonders for cooking salmon on the grill. Keeps all the flakes from flakin’ off!

27 Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 23, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I was TERRIFIED the first time I made salmon. And I did it in the oven, which is probably the easiest way! Once you get a hang of it, though, it really is pretty simple. And it’s so tasty!

28 Carissa June 23, 2011 at 10:13 pm

My hubby has the exact same feelings about fish! I can’t believe he let’s you grill! Haha

29 Molly Carter June 23, 2011 at 10:15 pm

My husband also can’t stand salmon, which is one of my favorites. Like you, I don’t ever cook it. I almost always order it when we go out to eat, though. He also doesn’t like raw tomatoes, mushrooms or eggplant, which are three of my favorite things ever. I hardly cook them for that reason. We sure do sacrifice for the ones we love, huh?? ;)

30 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" June 23, 2011 at 10:26 pm

mmmm I think you did a pretty darn good job of cooking that salmon girl! Looks like it was cooked to perfection.

I am generally always afraid of cooking meats. I do it but I always OVERCOOK because I’m so worried about it being raw. Luckily, I like my meat well-cooked. Most men I know do not. Therefore, I never cook for them.

When I did have a significant other, we actually ate very differently. But, it was kind of fun experimenting with each other’s foods. One time, for no reason, he made me a healthified lasagna with extra spinach and lean turkey. I was so proud!

31 Laura @ Cookies vs. Carrots June 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I think your salmon looks good! I usually make it in the oven, because that is a pretty fool-proof system for me. I always wonder about bloggers and whether or not their hubbies/boyfriends eat all of the same meals. It is an interesting balancing act (at least with my meat-loving boyfriend). I was interested to hear your take on it!

32 Khushboo June 23, 2011 at 11:20 pm

That dinner looks great, i actually find salmon super easy to cook! I just wrap in foil (sometimes add terryaki glaze) and put it in the oven for 20 mins or so! Because it’s so flavorful, a little black pepper and i’m good to go! Another good dip for salmon is hummus- the 2 pair so well together!

I’ve given up on cooking quinoa! I can never get the consistency right, which sucks because I love the stuff!

33 erica June 23, 2011 at 11:47 pm

me and the bf are the same way. i don’t care for fish, except for salmon. love it! but he doesn’t like fish. at all. so i never get to cook it because he won’t eat it.

34 Amy June 23, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I am a vegetarian living in a house of omnivores who enjoy meat every night. So I eat differently to my entire family and my darling boyfriend. On one of our first dates B and I went to see his family who decided to have takeaway ribs for dinner, you should have seen the look on his face when they announced that :) of course they were totally helpful in finding me something on the menu to eat but it was hilarious watching him debate whether I would tell them or if he should jump in first.

35 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 24, 2011 at 12:12 am

I can’t believe Jay doesn’t like salmon! I think it’s the butter of the sea ;)

I’m actually afraid to make chicken noodle soup from scratch. It sounds so complicated and lengthy to make the stock. And my boyfriend hates mushrooms, eggplants and tomatoes, which are all foods that I love :(

36 Brooke @ Bittersweetb June 24, 2011 at 12:53 am

I am totally afraid to make yeast breads and yet I really want to make them.

The boyfriend and I usually can find common ground on what to eat but since he has moved on to a carb free diet we basically eat separate meals because I can’t give up carbs nor would I ever want too.

37 Courtney June 24, 2011 at 7:51 am

Amen sister!

38 Meg June 24, 2011 at 12:58 am

I saw that recipe too and really wanna make it!!! I am glad it got good reviews!!!

39 Abby June 24, 2011 at 1:05 am

My SO and I eat similarly when we actually get to eat together but he adds meat on the side of whatever I make.

40 Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers June 24, 2011 at 3:05 am

I’m not a fish fan either. I wish I liked it, but I just don’t like the taste. :(

41 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign June 24, 2011 at 7:29 am

My fiance and I usually eat the same things, but with a twist–he’ll have more pasta in his bowl, while I’ll have more veggies, etc.

42 Jill June 24, 2011 at 9:56 am

The hubby and I both love salmon! Giada (from Food Network) has a great salmon recipe where you wrap it in foil with some cherry tomatoes and lemon juice on top. You bake it in the oven and it is perfect cooked and juicy. I highly recommend it. When I cook it on the stove, I always tend to overcook b/c I’m worried about undercooking it, so I highly recommend the foil-in-the-oven method.

43 Elizabeth June 24, 2011 at 10:20 am

Salmon is one of my favs!! I think it’s much easier to grill if you put in on a piece of tin foil with cooking spray. This keeps the grill clean and you won’t lose pieces of the salmon to the grill. Also you don’t need to flip it – just keep the grill closed for most of the time.